North Korea, Sanctions, and Kim Jong-un

In this case, however, we only need to provide evidence that NK aren't happy with the deal.
How can you be sure that when one party says he's not happy with a deal-in-the-making, that he is not merely exercising a legitimate negotiating tactic? I've been involved on both sides of deal making, and both sides will usually complain, whimper and moan over the tiniest details in order to receive the highest possible benefit.

How can you be sure that when one party says he's not happy with a deal-in-the-making, that he is not merely exercising a legitimate negotiating tactic? I've been involved on both sides of deal making, and both sides will usually complain, whimper and moan over the tiniest details in order to receive the highest possible benefit.
We can't - we can only go by what's reported in the press. But if Associated Press and WaPo are willing to accept an unnamed North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman's statement as being representative of North Korea's view, then for anyone to complain about @Scaff doing the same thing is disingenuous to say the least.

We can't - we can only go by what's reported in the press. But if Associated Press and WaPo are willing to accept an unnamed North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman's statement as being representative of North Korea's view, then for anyone to complain about @Scaff doing the same thing is disingenuous to say the least.
Inb4 "They accept it because Trump."

AP and WaPo are simply repeating what an anonymous source from the communist dictatorship controlled national media outlet of the NK is saying. When stories came out of Pravda in the 1970's and 1980's they were cause for scorn, ridicule and laughter because we all knew it was simply an extension of the communist party just like the NK media is. How quickly we forget. Now, so long as they agree with our politics literally anything passes for "news". AP and WaPo aren't "accepting" it. They are repeating it. Big difference. They know they have zero responsibility to vet the information and are off the hook for it being true or false because they are simply repeating what they were told and leave it up to the reader to determine whether they believe it or not. If it were a pro-Trump quote I think it would have been received quite differently.

AP and WaPo aren't "accepting" it. They are repeating it. Big difference.
I didn't say that they accepted the statement. Instead, I said that they accepted that the statement was representative of North Korea's stance on the issue, hence the use of "North Korea" in their headlines and @Scaff's posts.

If it were a pro-Trump quote I think it would have been received quite differently.
*high fives @TexRex*

Last edited:
Inb4 "They accept it because Trump."
If it were a pro-Trump quote I think it would have been received quite differently.
Depositphotos_17177253_original1.jpg

I didn't say they accepted the statement. I said that they accepted the statement was representative of North Korea's stance on the issue, hence the use of "North Korea" in their headlines".
Which is exactly what I said. They don't need to vet anything they can just repeat it verbatim. They aren't "accepting" anything. They are just printing out what they were told. It's not journalism it's a press release from an unnamed source, who works for the state controlled media, in a secretive, oppressive, communist dictatorship.

I believe this is white knighting, a new term I learned a few days ago.

Which is exactly what I said. They don't need to vet anything they can just repeat it verbatim. They aren't "accepting" anything. They are just printing out what they were told. It's not journalism it's a press release from an unnamed source, who works for the state controlled media, in a secretive, oppressive, communist dictatorship.
That doesn't really address my post. Why are they wrong to say "North Korea" in their headline when North Korea are expressing (or pretending to express) dissatisfaction with the deal? And if they aren't, why are you criticising others for doing the same thing?

I believe this is white knighting, a new term I learned a few days ago.
You learnt it wrongly. I am not defending his opinion, because it requires no defence. I'm merely noting that his prediction about your behaviour proved to be 100% accurate.

That doesn't really address my post. Why are they wrong to say "North Korea" in their headline when North Korea are expressing (or pretending to express) dissatisfaction with the deal? And if they aren't, why are you criticising others for doing the same thing?
I'm not claiming they are right or wrong. The underpinnings of the "story" are ludicrous on their face.
an unnamed source, who works for the state controlled media, in a secretive, oppressive, communist dictatorship.
We laughed about that stuff in the 70's and 80's when it came out of Pravda. Now it's legitimate news, so long as it agrees with your politics of course.

You learnt it wrongly. I am not defending his opinion, because it requires no defence. I'm merely noting that his prediction about your behaviour proved to be 100% accurate.
Sounds like six of one and half dozen of the other.

I'm not claiming they are right or wrong. The underpinnings of the "story" are ludicrous on their face. We laughed about that stuff in the 70's and 80's when it came out of Pravda. Now it's legitimate news, so long as it agrees with your politics of course.

Sounds like six of one and half dozen of the other.
You're continuing to avoid the question I asked in the previous post. The story is only legitimate news in that it reports NK's position. Any position you'd rather create that agrees with your own politics is only speculation. The whole thing is beside the point anyway. An unnamed spokesman in a country's foreign office is still an official source and not an anonymous one whether you or I believe them or not.

You're still completely wrong about white knighting as well.

Well ain't thems the breaks...
:lol:

You're continuing to avoid the question I asked in the previous post. The story is only legitimate news in that it reports NK's position. Any position you'd rather create that agrees with your own politics is only speculation. The whole thing is beside the point anyway. An unnamed spokesman in a country's foreign office is still an official source and not an anonymous one whether you or I believe them or not.

You're still completely wrong about white knighting as well.
An unnamed spokesman, filtered through the official state media, of a secretive communist dictatorship. :lol::lol:. Pravda.

a·non·y·mous
əˈnänəməs/
adjective
  1. (of a person) not identified by name; of unknown name.
    "the anonymous author of Beowulf"
    synonyms: unnamed, of unknown name, nameless, incognito, unidentified, unknown, unsourced, secretMore

An unnamed spokesman, filtered through the official state media, of a secretive communist dictatorship. :lol::lol:. Pravda.

a·non·y·mous
əˈnänəməs/
adjective
  1. (of a person) not identified by name; of unknown name.
    "the anonymous author of Beowulf"
    synonyms: unnamed, of unknown name, nameless, incognito, unidentified, unknown, unsourced, secretMore

A statement from the White House Press Office would be anonymous if you were to apply that (utterly erroneous) logic. You don't have to know the name of the staffer - you just have to know the name of the body that released the information. You have a name therefore it literally, etymologically is not anonymous.

Yes, because the Press Office of the world's largest democracy is the same as an anonymous source in the state controlled media arm of the world's most secretive communist dictatorship:lol::lol:. I believe the cool people on the net call that a False Equivalence Fallacy.

Enough already with the constant hypotheticals that make you into the lone, oppressed voice of integrity and reason.
I believe this is an attempt to pressure or shame me and my contributions to this forum even though my posts comply with the AUP. I suggest you withdraw this attempt to shame me and control my input here simply because you don't agree with me.

Enough already with the constant hypotheticals that make you into the lone, oppressed voice of integrity and reason.
You wouldn't be saying that if he were an Obama supporter...

(sorry, couldn't resist :lol:)

Yes, because the Press Office of the world's largest democracy is the same as an anonymous source in the state controlled media arm of the world's most secretive communist dictatorship:lol::lol:. I believe the cool people on the net call that a False Equivalence Fallacy.

tenor.gif

I don't know whether there's such a thing as a false unequivalence fallacy but I'm standing by what I said despite your constant and consistent attempts at deflection and obfuscation:

An unnamed spokesman in a country's foreign office is still an official source and not an anonymous one whether you or I believe them or not.

Yes, because the Press Office of the world's largest democracy is the same as an anonymous source in the state controlled media arm of the world's most secretive communist dictatorship:lol::lol:.

When it comes to how the word "anonymous" was applied in this situation, yes, they're the same.

I believe the cool people on the net call that a False Equivalence Fallacy.

I guess that gets added to the list of misused terms, alongside "White Knight."

I believe this is an attempt to pressure or shame me and my contributions to this forum even though my posts comply with the AUP. I suggest you withdraw this attempt to shame me and control my input here simply because you don't agree with me.

Surely you, our favorite free speech champion, fighter of that great PC evil, is not suddenly turning snowflake?

But no, it's not an effort to "shame" you. It's just getting really old watching you put words into other people's mouths through your "If it was anybody other than Trump" hypotheticals.

Nobody here decides their stance simply by being blindly anti-Trump; many of the same folks you've leveled that charge against were also critical of Obama on several occasions, for just one obvious example of the faulty reasoning you're using. More importantly, they provide you with well-reasoned rebuttals that go far beyond "Trump sucks," and you just ignore them, and continue tossing out your boring and lazy hypotheticals.

And, since you've brought up the AUP...

AUP
  • You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

When you assign other people the positions they would take in your little hypotheticals, you're posting information that you don't know to be true. Before you continue to accuse me of trying to "control your input," perhaps you should consider that that's exactly what you do every time you tell the rest of us what our stances would be in your imaginary scenarios.

If you feel like it violates the AUP, the mod team has often said you should report the post and they will determine appropriate action (although that action may not be public).

You wouldn't be saying that if he were an Obama supporter...

(sorry, couldn't resist :lol:)

tenor.gif

I don't know whether there's such a thing as a false unequivalence fallacy but I'm standing by what I said despite your constant and consistent attempts at deflection and obfuscation:
You're equating the validity of a press release channeled through a state run news agency from the most secretive communist dictatorship on the planet to a press release from the U.S. government as if they are somehow comparable.

You're equating the validity of a press release channeled through a state run news agency from the most secretive communist dictatorship on the planet to a press release from the U.S. government as if they are somehow comparable.

Nobody is speaking to the "validity" of anything. They're saying that the word "anonymous" doesn't really apply when something comes from an official government office, and therefore your attempts to discredit the source fall flat.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. However, they are comparable. They're both official statements from their respective countries.

I think I'd have better luck arguing with the flat earth guy.

Last edited:
When it comes to how the word "anonymous" was applied in this situation, yes, they're the same.

I guess that gets added to the list of misused terms, alongside "White Knight."

Surely you, our favorite free speech champion, fighter of that great PC evil, is not suddenly turning snowflake?

But no, it's not an effort to "shame" you. It's just getting really old watching you put words into other people's mouths through your "If it was anybody other than Trump" hypotheticals.

Nobody here decides their stance simply by being blindly anti-Trump; many of the same folks you've leveled that charge against were also critical of Obama on several occasions, for just one obvious example of the faulty reasoning you're using. More importantly, they provide you with well-reasoned rebuttals that go far beyond "Trump sucks," and you just ignore them, and continue tossing out your boring and lazy hypotheticals.

And, since you've brought up the AUP...

When you assign other people the positions they would take in your little hypotheticals, you're posting information that you don't know to be true. Before you continue to accuse me of trying to "control your input," perhaps you should consider that that's exactly what you do every time you tell the rest of us what our stances would be in your imaginary scenarios.
I find being labeled a "snowflake" an uncalled for and abusive slight against my character.

Yes, because the Press Office of the world's largest democracy is the same as an anonymous source in the state controlled media arm of the world's most secretive communist dictatorship:lol::lol:.

Lol. "Democracy". Pull the other one, it has bells on.

They are. Both are statements of their respective governments.

I find being labeled a "snowflake" an uncalled for and abusive slight against my character.

That is just the most hilarious thing I've ever seen you write. You should be a stand-up comedian, because that's A-Grade material. One doesn't find the ability to produce that level of satire from just anyone.

Back