North Korea, Sanctions, and Kim Jong-un

Just let China annex NK, remove the Kims and be done with it.
I feel like we've gone back in time by 4 years. China still wants to use NK as a thorn to the US. Unless it pulls a stupid, they have no reason to do anything.

Yup they've been doing it for decades which is all the more hilarious when Trump thought they were being truthful with him when he said he had solved the problem :lol:

Just like they fooled the rest of the world several times.

edit.

Look what I said 2 years ago.

I'm pretty confident that NK will pull the same rabbit out of the hat as they have done before.

A deal will be made, NK will promise that they'll "stop" their nuclear program, massive amounts of foreign aid goes to NK, and this story will be debated again in a couple of years.

a2Zb4y9_460s.jpg

The whole flawed thing is the way they have Treated NK has been the exact opposite of Iran, who has been openly ready to make an agreement but Israel and Saudi Arabia don't like them so we throw them to the kerb.

Just like they fooled the rest of the world several times.

edit.

Look what I said 2 years ago.

a2Zb4y9_460s.jpg
Yup that’s exactly what I mean, everybody knew it was going to happen but somehow Trump didn’t and even went one step further and declare he had solved the North Korea threat altogether :lol:

Why not Russia, if we're going down that road? In either case I can't see the western powers being too happy without a spongy North Korea sitting between South Korea and Russia/China.

It's pretty telling that North Korea is looking to ramp back up their missile testing. Perhaps it's for just protection, but at this time, it's becoming more and more likely that there will not be another summit.

Why not Russia, if we're going down that road? In either case I can't see the western powers being too happy without a spongy North Korea sitting between South Korea and Russia/China.
Or the South Koreans, for that matter.
I'm afraid North Korea isn't going to sit and wait for someone to annex it without resistance...

I'm afraid North Korea isn't going to sit and wait for someone to annex it without resistance...

Of course not, but if the US, Russia or China simply wanted to invade then NK really has no hope of actually winning short of nuking something. Which is arguably not so much winning as making sure everyone else loses when you do. If the big boys actually come out in force, what NK wants really has very little to do with it.

But actually, the major powers all kind of have an interest in seeing NK continue to exist. The US and it's allies don't want China and Russia even closer to South Korea and Japan. China doesn't want a US ally on a land border. Russia probably cares the least, but it still has a land border with Russia and was technically a Soviet possession way back when. How much modern Russia still considers itself to be a continuation of the old Soviet Union is debatable, but they seem to be a North Korean ally at the least.

Having North Korea be a semi-stable yet technologically crippled state is one of the best compromises possible for the major powers, be it intentional or not. Politics is what keeps North Korea in existence, not force of arms. Or at least, not force of North Korean arms.

Of course not, but if the US, Russia or China simply wanted to invade then NK really has no hope of actually winning short of nuking something. Which is arguably not so much winning as making sure everyone else loses when you do. If the big boys actually come out in force, what NK wants really has very little to do with it.

But actually, the major powers all kind of have an interest in seeing NK continue to exist. The US and it's allies don't want China and Russia even closer to South Korea and Japan. China doesn't want a US ally on a land border. Russia probably cares the least, but it still has a land border with Russia and was technically a Soviet possession way back when. How much modern Russia still considers itself to be a continuation of the old Soviet Union is debatable, but they seem to be a North Korean ally at the least.

Having North Korea be a semi-stable yet technologically crippled state is one of the best compromises possible for the major powers, be it intentional or not. Politics is what keeps North Korea in existence, not force of arms. Or at least, not force of North Korean arms.
Out of all of the targets North Korea could choose, China would be least logical to nuke (ignoring the consequences of said action via war) because the prevailing winds would end up taking the fallout right back over their country.

North Korea has presented the medical bill for the care provided to Otto Warmbier.

2 million dollar.

Takes him prisoner for ripping up a poster, arrests him, something happened while he was in custody, they want 2 million and he's dead.

When someone is in custody guess who is responsible for their medical care? You NK!

Utter bull.

Takes him prisoner for ripping up a poster, arrests him, something happened while he was in custody, they want 2 million and he's dead.

When someone is in custody guess who is responsible for their medical care? You NK!

Utter bull.

If he was healthy and alive, it would have made some sense though. Now it is basically paying 2 million for torturing him.

Kim Jong-un is reportedly carrying out a purge of senior officials after the last round of talks with the US failed to bring about the lifting of sanctions on the country, including the execution of five foreign ministry officials. Source (paywall). Others have been sent to the gulags for 're-education' and forced labour, and even Kim's high profile sister who appeared alongside him in recent meetings with Donald Trump has not been seen in public for some time, amid speculation that she has been 'demoted' (whatever that might entail...).

It's gonna be a little awkward if/when the US and DPRK renew negotiations.

US Envoy: "Ah, you must be new to the team! Welcome! I take it your predecessor has pursued other opportunities"

DPRK Envoy: "No, he was turned into red mist by an anti-aircraft gun. Shall we begin?"

It's gonna be a little awkward if/when the US and DPRK renew negotiations.

US Envoy: "Ah, you must be new to the team! Welcome! I take it your predecessor has pursued other opportunities"

DPRK Envoy: "No, he was turned into red mist by an anti-aircraft gun. Shall we begin?"
You mean death is not considered "another opportunity"?

Back