Notification of Maintenance 18/06/2014

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 132 comments
FS7
My guess is that by the time PD releases stuff such as course maker and community features most people who care about sim racers will be too busy playing Project Cars on PS4 and won't pay much attention to GT6 on PS3.

Agreed.

But doesn't that work perfectly to Sony's favor? Schedule and time new releases to maximise their individual profits and market share. Once Project Cars begins to wane up comes the new GT7.

I do think PD has missed that schedule like you said. Had they kept closer to the "original" timeline, however.....

FS7
My guess is that by the time PD releases stuff such as course maker and community features most people who care about sim racers will be too busy playing Project Cars on PS4 and won't pay much attention to GT6 on PS3.

Unless Project Cars comes with a course maker I still think that could be a major draw for GT6.

Gold was absolutely, 100% possible with a DS3.
Finishing in the Top 10? That's another thing, but let's not exaggerate. If a person cannot get pretty close to Gold with a DS3, a wheel isn't going to suddenly get them 3 seconds without a lot of practice. The idea of controlling loss of grip is the same whether it be a DS3 or wheel.
It may be the same idea, but implementing it is a completely different story. I use a DS3 and ended up 6 seconds off the top time. When I watched that replay all I could say was ''wow'' after every corner. It's incredible how soon he could get back on the throttle as opposed to me struggling not to go off the track. I have to remember to save it if it's still possible, it was a great lap.

It may be the same idea, but implementing it is a completely different story. I use a DS3 and ended up 6 seconds off the top time. When I watched that replay all I could say was ''wow'' after every corner. It's incredible how soon he could get back on the throttle as opposed to me struggling not to go off the track. I have to remember to save it if it's still possible, it was a great lap.
A wheel is not the magic bullet. I'm still faster for one lap at GT5 with the sticks. I got a wheel toward the end of GT5s life cycle.
No one on the sticks believes a wheel guy, but the learning curve is steeper than it looks.

3 months of practice with a wheel and you still aren't gaining 6 seconds at Spa unless you are new to GT.

@crowhop You make me laugh. You bolded part of my post and you still got it wrong. I never said it was impossible, I said that the DS3 users were at a disadvantage, making it more difficult for them. Some gave a great effort and were still unable to achieve Gold, due to their skill level. But they did try. I am not exaggerating in the slightest as I never said it was impossible. You also have to remember, we are dealing with different levels of skill here. Also, I never said anything about a wheel going to get anyone 3 seconds, but it is going to be easier with one for most people.
Perhaps I'm derailing the thread a bit by going into the wheel vs sticks debate, but again I'll say that if you aren't pretty darn quick a DS3, a wheel isn't going to make a hill of beans. You'll just be a slow guy with a wheel unless you're willing to pour 4-5 hours a day into the game to get better over the course of several months. I submit that someone who invests 4-5 hours a day into playing with a DS3 will get a linear return on their overall "speed". A wheel doesn't make one a hot shoe. Talent does. And if you don't have talent, a load of practice. You should know that. Perhaps better than anyone here.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wheel is not the magic bullet. I'm still faster for one lap at GT5 with the sticks. I got a wheel toward the end of GT5s life cycle.
No one on the sticks believes a wheel guy, but the learning curve is steeper than it looks.

3 months of practice with a wheel and you still aren't gaining 6 seconds at Spa unless you are new to GT.

Not wishing to further derail the thread, but I have to agree with this. Overall I'm still a little slower, and I spin MANY more more times with my wheel, than with the DS3... it's left me in a situation where what may have been pretty easy Golds before, now offer a challenge - and Far more importantly, win or lose, there is more pleasure to be had driving using the wheel, than the controller.

DS3 guys need to bear in mind the controller has it's own unique advantages. It might not have helped at Eau Rouge, but elsewhere it can help.

I would love to continue discussing DS3 vs wheel, but don't want to derail the thread. Here's hoping that we get an update tomorrow and that it has some hidden goodies.

Perhaps I'm derailing the thread a bit by going into the wheel vs sticks debate, but again I'll say that if you aren't pretty darn quick a DS3, a wheel isn't going to make a hill of beans. You'll just be a slow guy with a wheel unless you're willing to pour 4-5 hours a day into the game to get better over the course of several months. I submit that someone who invests 4-5 hours a day into playing with a DS3 will get a linear return on their overall "speed". A wheel doesn't make one a hot shoe. Talent does. And if you don't have talent, a load of practice. You should know that. Perhaps better than anyone here.

Thought I was done here and made my point quite clear but again you take my post out of context. :rolleyes: I never said anything about a wheel vs. DS3 debate. What I did say was that using a DS3 in this event was quite a bit more difficult than using a wheel (Eau Rouge for one, the odd handling characteristics of the car in general another)....therefore putting DS3 users at a disadvantage unless you were pretty good with the DS3. I said nothing about those DS3 users automatically becoming faster with a wheel....please learn to comprehend what you read. And also again, you can't use your skill level as a base and say that just because you were able to do it, everyone else should be able too. It doesn't work that way. All this after I simply stated that I think the car should be made available to everyone and you manage to drag it into a totally different direction. :rolleyes:

I would like to think that the You Tube GT-R will be made available in the dealership at some point for those that couldn't gold the academy event - maybe in the update but more likely down the track (if at all). Just a note on the DS3/Wheel thing - I was able to gold with both and was only fractionally faster with the wheel. For me I'm really only significantly faster using a wheel when driving a high powered rear wheel drive car as it's much easier to control wheel spin using pedals. I still find it easier to catch oversteer with the controller but I can avoid unwanted oversteer in the first place with the wheel. Lower powered cars I'm often still a little quicker with a controller.
In the end whether you could gold the Spa event with a controller or not came down to your own skill level - it was a tough event to gold for the average player.

So, this update almost certainly contains the Volkswagen Vision GTI, but will the Red Bull Ring come too, or will that be coming in the update after this one?

I think the A1 Ring will most likely be on the Nissan update/next month.
I thinks its coming in the "mid-june" update. The announcement does say its coming in games next update. It would be weird to say its coming next month since that would be update after "mid-june" update that's not here yet.

It makes sense with the Austrian GP returning there this weekend after a long break, but it is Polyphony, where are Zahra, the track creator, monthly DLC's?

Chandler-Bing-laughter-to-shock-reaction-at-meeting.gif

Hey where did my time passer pics and GIFS go??? They were there to help pass the time..:grumpy: Oh well, when does this update start in est?

Yep, but still another hour and 20 minutes until maintenance finishes according to the official website. But others are now saying on another thread that the Red Bull track update is now live!

Soo (1) Dynamics of the car on surfaces with cornerstones and bumps
(2) Effect of tire geometry changes (mainly the Camber Angle)
(3) Controllability of some rear heavy cars

(Pretend this is green text if you know what I mean):

Chris-Farley-Smile-to-Shock-Reaction.gif

> Asks question about when maintenance starts
> Pophead says "now"
> *Inserts It's happening! GIF*
> 2:40 AM, Doesn't care
> Gets chair
>Eyes glued to computer, rigorously refreshing gt planet thread
>Quitting and restarting GT6 rapidly
>Hungry
> Maintenance ends
>5 AM
>No update
>Breathes heavily
>Breathing Intensifies
> Screams Internally
> MFW

After over 3k miles with a ds3,Best lap 2:21.xx.Two hours on my cousins wheel 2:18.xx (THE DIFFERENCE WAS HUGE!) Especially never having used a wheel before also did anyone notice how many golded this event with a ds3 and they're placement?:boggled:

Back