November: Car of the Month - Lotus Evora '09

Thanks you so much @Burned_Rubber , it's an honour for me to have your review :D

So yes it's an high-skilled tune ( I don't consider as it because I don't consider myself being skilled :lol:). Yes it's a beast, as I would like that to be, it's manageable when you have great counter-steering-hands.

I see this car like a woman, she authorize you to do some things but stop at the limit, and you authorize her to do what she want, but she know that if you're good with her she would be cool with you :lol::P
(Push at the limit and you will discover his real nature...)

To be more serious I will post another tune, maybe less savage, and I hope you'll like it :D

I feel like I should mention this, even though I thought it was obvious (which it probably isn't):
My Evora tune uses the flip trick on the transmission. To get the gearing right, you need to raise the final to the max, then put the lowest top speed in. You should then be able to match individual and final gears easily. I've edited my post accordingly. Just thought I would post this so people don't waste their time trying to do it without flipping the transmission. If anyone already has, sorry.

I feel like I should mention this, even though I thought it was obvious (which it probably isn't):
My Evora tune uses the flip trick on the transmission. To get the gearing right, you need to raise the final to the max, then put the lowest top speed in. You should then be able to match individual and final gears easily. I've edited my post accordingly. Just thought I would post this so people don't waste their time trying to do it without flipping the transmission. If anyone already has, sorry.
Thank you for clarifying, have not gotten to yours yet but will. That info will be helpful, although I likely would have figured it out. Should save some time, thanks.👍

No worries. It happens to the best of us. Just as a rule of thumb list step by step for setting up the transmission as its so flipping touchy.

@Burned_Rubber Evora 550pp review;

My time has been limited lately, but I'm still trying to get to all the tunes. Being away for a few days (and thoroughly enjoying it as well) has caused the month to fly by. Before long, I'm going to have to prepare for next month :dunce:

That said, after my little respite away, this was the first tune to be tested. I should give up some honesty and admit I felt a bit rusty and not quite ready for this car, but I proceeded anyway. Just keep that in mind as you read on.

World Circuit Tour, allowed up to 600pp on RH, I will continue with SS and see how I do. So I ran a few races with it at Spa (as suggested). I liked your 500pp offerings, so felt I should adapt to 550. Found it to be tricky, but that could have been (and likely was) me. Some corners it felt like it was slow to rotate through, turn 1 in particular, but may have been my line. Trans and LSD were good for this track and the brakes were up to the task. Higher speed corners were better, once I found the proper line to use. Minor understeer likely from ballast, although it did take the rear for the most part. Also, minor exit rear sliding But a normal characteristic of the Car itself. Each race was fun and lead to an easy win, though my concentration was not totally up to par. Driver error was likely the biggest flaw, but the tune was up for it itself. Wonder how it would be on RH? :confused: only thought would be to move ballast slightly rearward, like to say, -40. Take just a little nose weight off to help entry and mid corner. Otherwise, a really good tune, and even with my not being right it managed to be in the 2.25 range. Not bad since I enjoy the track a ton but always seem to be slower than others. You can adapt to this one pretty quick, and feel comfortable and never really on edge. For me, that's a winning tune:tup:

Keep them coming, next month will have another unique challenge and I look forward to seeing your approach. Won't say which car other than the weight shift will be different for sure :lol::lol::lol:.

Thanks for 3 fun tunes this month, great job 👍

Edit:smart phone not so smart.

Last edited:
Thanks for another good review Bowtie. I think I may have jumped the gun just a bit when I posted this tune. I felt like it had a little push on hairpin entry also, but my biggest complaint with this tune was how much I didn't get along with racing tires vs. sport soft :confused:. Oh well, I'm just glad someone else was able to give it a try and report back with my own suspicions. Thanks again! I'm gonna try to get to the rest of my reviews hopefully this week :scared:. I look forward to what you have in store for us next month 👍

@sinof1337 500pp review
Just as I would expect out of Sin Motorsports Garage, a pleasant tune to drive. Easy to rotate the rear into a turn and the slight lift off oversteer helps to position the nose of the car during longer, flowing curves at tracks like Spa. I found a little more fun with the slidey natured beast at the MR Challenge, Trial Mountain but that's prolly just me. A good setup matched with a fantastic gearbox made this loads of fun. Thanks

Wow :embarrassed: just Wow :eek:, and I thought it was a little too much of a handful. I'm overwhelmed that you enjoyed it. 👍 :dopey:

Now I only wish PD had allowed a flat floor on this car, then it might make it totally awesome. Was one of my original thoughts many months ago when I built the 500pp tune. But, not available.:grumpy:
Still, could be up to taking down race cars though.;)

Thanks for the review.:D
I'll be trying this out at some point later :mischievous: Just been having a little fun with a few of the other offerings this month on the Matterhorn Non-Racecar Challenge :) Still not registered a win with any of them yet, but that's mostly my fault :guilty: I'm not giving away too much now, but transmission seems to be the word of the day:odd:

BTW the Evora already has a flat floor from the factory, that'll be why we can't fit one ;)

I'll be trying this out at some point later :mischievous: Just been having a little fun with a few of the other offerings this month on the Matterhorn Non-Racecar Challenge :) Still not registered a win with any of them yet, but that's mostly my fault :guilty: I'm not giving away too much now, but transmission seems to be the word of the day:odd:

BTW the Evora already has a flat floor from the factory, that'll be why we can't fit one ;)
I guess that's why it appears to have a rear diffusor when you add aero kit? :dunce: :P
Hope the tune satifies and is up to your standard. :)

Last edited:
I guess that's why it appears to have a rear diffusor when you add aero kit? :dunce: :P
Hope the tune satifies and is up to your standard. :)
Guess so, I only know because I happened to be watching the "How it's made" supercar programme on Discover turbo a little while back :) pretty cool show 👍

Well, I haven't found one I don't like yet, if that's a good thing :sly: so far I've tried 4 of them and each has some good qualities. The downside is, due to the nature of the track 3 of them topped out on the downhill run to turn 1 :( @Pete05's didn't suffer the same fate though 👍 I don't have the figures at hand, but I'm pretty sure even with the power deficit it did pretty well again the others for lap times :) Great work on that trans mate 👍

Guess so, I only know because I happened to be watching the "How it's made" supercar programme on Discover turbo a little while back :) pretty cool show 👍

Well, I haven't found one I don't like yet, if that's a good thing :sly: so far I've tried 4 of them and each has some good qualities. The downside is, due to the nature of the track 3 of them topped out on the downhill run to turn 1 :( @Pete05's didn't suffer the same fate though 👍 I don't have the figures at hand, but I'm pretty sure even with the power deficit it did pretty well again the others for lap times :) Great work on that trans mate 👍
Thanks TC :cheers:
Mine didn't run out of revs because I used the actual gear ratios from the production Evora S :) 👍
I also built it to resemble as close as possible what an Evora S would
do as far as handling, braking etc..
using real power & weight figures. No supercharger available so substituted with the turbo instead. Glad you like it :bowdown:

Thanks TC :cheers:
Mine didn't run out of revs because I used the actual gear ratios from the production Evora S :) 👍
I also built it to resemble as close as possible what an Evora S would
do as far as handling, braking etc..
using real power & weight figures. No supercharger available so substituted with the turbo instead. Glad you like it :bowdown:
It was my pleasure :) Ok, Lotus did a good job on the trans then :lol: it was just so smooth, and by far gave me the least issues in the tight left at the top of the hill. just rolled in naturally and didn't spin up the tyres coming back out when I was pushing it, just a nice smooth delivery of power to get back upto speed 👍 It was a really nice drive and pretty well balanced :) Thanks for sharing :cheers:

It was my pleasure :) Ok, Lotus did a good job on the trans then :lol: it was just so smooth, and by far gave me the least issues in the tight left at the top of the hill. just rolled in naturally and didn't spin up the tyres coming back out when I was pushing it, just a nice smooth delivery of power to get back upto speed 👍 It was a really nice drive and pretty well balanced :) Thanks for sharing :cheers:
The pleasure was all mine my friend 👍

@sinof1337 Evora 500pp review:

This was another time a tested after my time off, another that may have been affected by my time off. I should have driven something other than this particular car, but have to get these reviews in.

So I headed off to Spa after building, feeling the hearing would be a tad short for the long straight, but left as posted. Tour of Europe but I ran on SH, took a lap to dial it in. For the most part, aside from the rear loosing grip and sliding (could have been my inputs) there was no real handling issue. Front end could understeer if pushed too hard but easily corrected. Hearing was short for two sections of the track but helped everywhere else. LSD worked really well as did the brakes. Tune can be smooth and stable with the right inputs, slaming the stock left or right and it was not so good. Driver input, as with most MR cars is important. Best lap was 2:40.496, better time of my head was right is in this tune.

Next was a trip to Silverstone GP in the NA Sports event. Flatter track meant it was easier to get the rear loose in the corner and on exit, but my inputs were slowly returning. Had to be careful with curbs, again, as with most MR cars. But it was fast, easy to drive if you knew what you were driving, as it never surprised me. It always did what I expected, was on me to handle and control it. So long as I was gentle (and still trying to squeeze some out of it) it was good. Push too far or too hard and it would let you know it. Shorter tracks would fit this tune better than the ones I chose. Best lap was 2:20.409. All things considered, 500PP AND SH tires:dopey:, my lack of ability that day evidently:dunce:, and a car that can be feisty:crazy:, not a bad tune at all. :)

@viotunes 500pp Evora review:

I was looking forward to this one after your late entry last month. I really was impressed and enjoyed the IROC-Z so I expected to be impressed again. You did mention this being not your typical tune for a car such as this, good time to see how you did.

I did come up with different numbers, only 339hp. Trans was no problem building.

Took your suggestion and started at Trial Mountain. A lap or two to feel it out and learn its limitations, and what it wanted. My initial impression was how well the high LSD Accel kept the rear in check on exit and helped get the power down easy. Next was how much the bumps caused the rear to jump sideways if your not on your toes and watching your line. This is more about the track however, as it generally will upset the suspension here. Driving in too deep could cause entry and mid corner push, easy in and easy out really worked with this tune, just find your marks and hit them. Especially entering the third tunnel, miss your exit line and you'll be drifting. Fun drive overall with a best lap of 1:36.141.

I then went to Midfield, but the forward version, since this is where I generally test 500pp tunes on SH. First thought, "is this the same tune?" Simply amazing here, all the grip you could ask for, minimal if any understeer. Rear more planted and it went where I wanted when and how. Every lap kept getting faster than the previous, but I then started to push too hard. Keep it just below or at the limit and it will perform, step over the line and you will begin to lose grip. Easy to recover and control, but you will lose tenths. Fantastic tune at this track, total fun. Best lap 1:16.213, and climbing the latter to join @shaunm80 and @Burned_Rubber for my favorite of the month. Gonna be close and a tough decision, might have to rethink this.

Great job, great tune.👍

Thank you very much for the review! I think that I might be too used to Trial Mountain, my laptime there was 1:32.2xx if I remember correctly. I like the suspension to be a bit stiffer as it gives me better laptimes, as a result the tune might be too optimized to my driving line there to make sense for anyone else though.

Dont worry about HP being inaccurate - I play on a german game so I have to convert power using the Internet, that might offset the value. I will find a more reliable converter.

Thank you very much for the review! I think that I might be too used to Trial Mountain, my laptime there was 1:32.2xx if I remember correctly. I like the suspension to be a bit stiffer as it gives me better laptimes, as a result the tune might be too optimized to my driving line there to make sense for anyone else though.

Dont worry about HP being inaccurate - I play on a german game so I have to convert power using the Internet, that might offset the value. I will find a more reliable converter.
I hope this helps with converting to BHP.
1 kilowatt = 1.3410 BHP
So to convert kW to BHP, multiply by 1.3410 :) 👍

Really good tune, and I have not spent a lot of time at Trial in quite a while. HP numbers were just barely off, real close.

@OdeFinn Evora replica review:

This one will be slightly different from the others, it's a replica and not "tuned per-say". No weight reduction and gearing meant to match factory I assume, but that does not mean you did not put work or effort into it. Just that I'm going to treat it differently.

Anyway, I bought a fresh one for you, then built according to 457pp posting. Decided to try London, for whatever reason, make the car feel at home I guess. I for one, do not really care for right city courses, but it would help me treat the car the way I wanted to approach this test. Drive it like I just spent $100k on it, and would have to pay for repairs or another set of tires. So I was a bit more careful, on the brakes and throttle (no redlining, don't want to blow a fresh motor), don't want to hit any guard rails either. I found the car quite enjoyable to drive, and much better than PD stock in my opinion. Felt like what I would expect this car to be on the road. Good power, little heavy, but handles really really well. Easy to see where you could drive harder than normal for a street car, it almost begged for it. But it felt restrained in these tight quarters and I had a desire to stretch it's legs a little. My best lap here (not that it really matters), was 1.02.217.

So a cross country trip to Brand Hatch Indy.
Immediately, it felt more at home and more alive. LSD numbers felt great and natural, trans was long (not too long) and should be expected for factory. The handling, oh what a dream ride. Now I have owned a MR car, and driven several others, though this might be slightly heavier, so I expect great handling with rear weight shift. The ride height makes a huge difference, level front and rear is rarely if ever accurate, higher rear gave it a natural feel. Lots can be learned here, as lower rear on this car is like scraping the tarmac. This is just a fun ride, and absolute pleasure to drive; and yes I was still driving it as if I owned it and not as if it were virtual. My best lap, 53.090.

Now it's into the garage area, install stiffer springs and some power upgrades. Sportpack kit (473pp). Back out into the track, I paid to rent it for the day, might as well get my money's worth. Like these stiffer springs and added horsepower. Better, crisper handling, but watch the first and final corner though, don't want to hurt the sneakers, they're not cheap. Dropped my time to 52.040.

Back to the garage for final improvements, more power but also more weight (485pp).
Faster, but torque changed, this caused me to light up the rear tires. Powered out of corners fantastically, pulled down the straights. But the added weight was felt in entry and slightly mid corner, had to make a slight line adjustment. Then it was back in business, and dropped my time some more. Down to 50.408.

This made for a fun weekend, expensive, but fun. Daily commute won't be the same.

@Bowtie-muscle thanks, you seemed to find that joy what it gives to me and assuming at also to owners of real Evora too.
Switching from Nitron "Fast Road" to "Track Day" springs makes it eat track, truly change as names are saying.

PS. You remembered to stiffen suspension with S setup? I made those suspension changes going on hand by hand what Lotus technicians are stating for differences between ordinary Evora and S model.

Last edited:
@Bowtie-muscle thanks, you seemed to find that joy what it gives to me and assuming at also to owners of real Evora too.
Switching from Nitron "Fast Road" to "Track Day" springs makes it eat track, truly change as names are saying.

PS. You remembered to stiffen suspension with S setup? I made those suspension changes going on hand by hand what Lotus technicians are stating for differences between ordinary Evora and S model.
Yes, changed to the stiffer numbers you gave but not the error correction numbers.

Back