November: Car of the Month - Lotus Evora '09

This car is so much fun I bought and tuned a second one, and may even do a Stage3 all out one!

Lotus Evora '09 "Stage 2" (click link for tune)

2Gp6VNO0ENd4NWheuu_0.jpg

Apologies for the double post but I wanted to keep the tune separate.
Here goes nothin :scared:
Tuned at Mt.Panorama on SH tyres with a DS3 & MT transmission.

PARTS FITTED
Fully Customizable Suspension
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Aero Kit Type A
Special Wing- Type A
Wheels: Inch Up RAYS 57 Ultimate

SUSPENSION
Ride Height
100 105
Springs. 4.10 7.75
Compression 3 3
Extension 3 3
Anti-roll 3 2
Camber 0.0 1.0
Toe Angle. 0.00 0.50
Brake Balance 6 5
DRIVETRAIN (Transmission)
Install all power parts first,
Set Final Gear to 3.777,
Set Max.Speed to 300 km/h,
1st
2nd 1.913
3rd 1.407
4th 1.091
5th 0.885
6th 0.749
DRIVETRAIN
Inital
Accel 40
Decel 20
BODY
Downforce
Ballast Weight 15
Ballast Position -50

This tune (although largely default in several areas) is good enough to lap Mt.Panorama in 2:19:983. If you're sensible with corner entry speed, the back end won't try to lead you out of the same corner and power down will be ok. You'll need to be smooth when applying power in 2nd gear as it can still power oversteer but the drift is manageable. Enjoy :)
I know you won't see this for a few hours, but what pp is the tune? Or you can just wait 'til I test it and let me find out for myself.

I came up with 489, but I think you changed the oil. Drove it, you will have to wait for the review though.:mischievous:
Yeah, I have no doubt I changed the engine honey for the magical GT grade. That would explain the discrepancy in numbers.
I'm happy to await for the review. You're only the 2nd person to drive it as @shaunm80 drove & helped develop it with me in prototype spec. I've had a fiddle with a few things since then as I'm sure the driving physics have been updated since I last took it for a spin all those months ago.

Yeah, I have no doubt I changed the engine honey for the magical GT grade. That would explain the discrepancy in numbers.
I'm happy to await for the review. You're only the 2nd person to drive it as @shaunm80 drove & helped develop it with me in prototype spec. I've had a fiddle with a few things since then as I'm sure the driving physics have been updated since I last took it for a spin all those months ago.
Just a tease, I drove both versions but without the oil change. Noticred you changed oil on the older but wanted to compare.

15769038980_9f8ba03936_c.jpg

Evora '09 (SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM OF POST!)

Canyon Red
Aero Type A
Custom Wing - Mount A, Wing H, Winglet N, Height -4, Width -20
Ray's 57Xtreme

PP: 500
HP: 348
WEIGHT: 1200kg
WEIGHT DIST: 46:54
TIRE(S): Sorts Hard/Sports Soft
OIL CHANGE - NO

SUSPENSION: Full Custom // BRAKES: Racing
RIDE HEIGHT - 95 / 100
SPRINGS - 6.25 / 11.00
COMP - 5 / 8
EXT - 9 / 5
ARB - 3 / 4
CAMBER - 0.5 / 1.0
TOE - -0.20 / 0.20
BRAKES - 4 / 5

TRANS: Full Custom (install all power upgrades first!)
FINAL TO
- 5.500 // TOP SPEED TO - 112
1ST - 2.695
2ND - 1.995
3RD - 1.580
4TH - 1.310
5TH - 1.105
6TH - 0.955
7TH -
FINAL - 4.000

LSD: Full Custom
INITIAL - 7
ACCEL - 9
DECEL - 25

CLUTCH TYPE: Triple-Plate
CARBON SHAFT:
TORQUE CENTERING DIFF: n/a

POWER PARTS:
ENGINE TUNING - Stage 1
COMPUTER - Standard
EXHAUST - Racing
MANIFOLD - Standard
CATALYTIC CONVERTER - Sports
INTAKE TUNING - Standard
SUPERCHARGER/TURBO - No
POWER LIMITER - 98.6%

WEIGHT REDUCTION - Stage 3
CARBON HOOD - Body Color
WINDOW WEIGHT - Installed

BALLAST - 112kg @-50
DOWNFORCE - 20(R)

NOTE: WARNING!!!! This car is very picky about how it likes to be driven, get it right and you will enjoy, mess it up and you will be cursing me out and calling me a no-good tuner. It's a feisty car, hard to tune and be happy with, but, I have slapped on Sports Hard Tires and one the Seasonal against the Caterham, Rocket, AND when both are in the lineup. First turn is critical, early easy braking and patience with the throttle, allow it to get into the turn before getting on throttle. GENTLY squeeze the throttle (I use the triggers) and it will be good. Most turn I found myself only using about half brake pressure (again, I use the triggers) and floating the car in and thru. Tricky on SH but if you slap on Sports Soft tires and run the same track in the Tour Of Europe, the car will really come to life. With SH tires I was easily in the 1:36 lap bracket, 1 to 2 seconds faster with SS.
You have been warned, now feel free to applaud or rip this tune, either way, feedback appreciated.

As reviewed by @cbarbosa a few posts below or found here!

I was able to sqeeze in some time today for a test drive and review. After trying out some of your tunes in the past, I thought I knew what I was up against :scared:, and I was right.... reliable and predictable down to the stitching. I took this tune to test at IB Hot Hatch event held at Brands Hatch then Spa and as always, did not disappoint. At first, I was alittle weary of the looks of the setup thinking the rear would oversteer if pushed and the gripwould break way. I did not. Not even the first 2 races with hard tires. The line felt perfect and the races were won with ease due to a spot on distribution and incredible weight transfer. When I switched to SS, it almost had the manouverability of a go kart. Very well done.

Apologies for the double post but I wanted to keep the tune separate.
Here goes nothin :scared:
Tuned at Mt.Panorama on SH tyres with a DS3 & MT transmission.

PARTS FITTED
Fully Customizable Suspension
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Aero Kit Type A
Special Wing- Type A
Wheels: Inch Up RAYS 57 Ultimate

SUSPENSION
Ride Height
100 105
Springs. 4.10 7.75
Compression 3 3
Extension 3 3
Anti-roll 3 2
Camber 0.0 1.0
Toe Angle. 0.00 0.50
Brake Balance 6 5
DRIVETRAIN (Transmission)
Install all power parts first,
Set Final Gear to 3.777,
Set Max.Speed to 300 km/h,
1st
2nd 1.913
3rd 1.407
4th 1.091
5th 0.885
6th 0.749
DRIVETRAIN
Inital
Accel 40
Decel 20
BODY
Downforce
Ballast Weight 15
Ballast Position -50

This tune (although largely default in several areas) is good enough to lap Mt.Panorama in 2:19:983. If you're sensible with corner entry speed, the back end won't try to lead you out of the same corner and power down will be ok. You'll need to be smooth when applying power in 2nd gear as it can still power oversteer but the drift is manageable. Enjoy :)
This tune deserves some recognition. Yes, it largely stock values once parts are fitted but somehow more manageable in terms of overtaking in Aspec.
Oh yeah, I was able to match your tranny numbers by resetting to default after applying all parts, top speed 199mph, set gears, done.
I didn't take it to MP being that I'm terrible there, so I took it back to Spa where I thought it had the best shot. So I ran it as-is with no changes and had a blast. The standard brakes did the trick to stop the car with good rotation and without lock up. Great balance and surprisingly easy recovery if I got too happy with throttle on exit. That was the only problem I had. Wheel lock on a car that is already rear heavy. So I made an adjustment and had another go and BAM, the right stuff! I lowered the accel to 20 and slapped some SS tires on it and it became alive. Was first place about 2/3 through the first lap with ease and flew by the other Lotus trio to a two hot laps victory. Nice job @Pete05 !

This tune deserves some recognition. Yes, it largely stock values once parts are fitted but somehow more manageable in terms of overtaking in Aspec.
Oh yeah, I was able to match your tranny numbers by resetting to default after applying all parts, top speed 199mph, set gears, done.
I didn't take it to MP being that I'm terrible there, so I took it back to Spa where I thought it had the best shot. So I ran it as-is with no changes and had a blast. The standard brakes did the trick to stop the car with good rotation and without lock up. Great balance and surprisingly easy recovery if I got too happy with throttle on exit. That was the only problem I had. Wheel lock on a car that is already rear heavy. So I made an adjustment and had another go and BAM, the right stuff! I lowered the accel to 20 and slapped some SS tires on it and it became alive. Was first place about 2/3 through the first lap with ease and flew by the other Lotus trio to a two hot laps victory. Nice job @Pete05 !
Many thanks for driving my car & giving me your feedback. I'm
Glad you liked it :bowdown: :cheers:

I was able to sqeeze in some time today for a test drive and review. After trying out some of your tunes in the past, I thought I knew what I was up against :scared:, and I was right.... reliable and predictable down to the stitching. I took this tune to test at IB Hot Hatch event held at Brands Hatch then Spa and as always, did not disappoint. At first, I was alittle weary of the looks of the setup thinking the rear would oversteer if pushed and the gripwould break way. I did not. Not even the first 2 races with hard tires. The line felt perfect and the races were won with ease due to a spot on distribution and incredible weight transfer. When I switched to SS, it almost had the manouverability of a go kart. Very well done.
Thank you very much for testing it and Pete's, I appreciate feedback and testing from others. Think people get a little tired of my reviews. And I'm glad you enjoyed, Spa should be big fun on SS in this tune, Mt.P however might not be so much.

@Pete05 489pp Evora compilation review:

So if your tired of my reviews, then stop reading here........

If curiosity gets the better of you then continue........

Noticed you did not use weight reduction or ballast, interesting idea. And on Sports:Hard??? Ok then, to your homeland and Mt Panorama, but I should warn you I struggle here. Especially after the long back straight and into the hard braking zone before the left hander. Always brake too early or too late, wind up cutting the corner or taking a trip to the beach. Takes many laps before I get it right and thus I tend to choose other tracks. But for you it just felt appropriate.

Extra weight was not a concern at all, nor the tire choice. Handling was pretty good even if mostly stock, rear flying out on fast corners was cured by a slight lift of the throttle. Not all the way mind you, just half throttle and we were off and running to the next section. Braking was skittish at times, standard brakes maybe, or I was too hard too late. Not really sure. Overall a nice job here, took some getting used to but this car will do that to you. Once I new how to keep the rear doing what I wanted, I was all good until I got to that dreaded corner and off into the sand I went. Or the rear would come around on me. This was the only place I really had any issue, and as stated, it's where I usually do. But, even with my driving errors and lack of ability here, I ran a lap of 2:25.798, which I felt good about. And I enjoyed it, other then not having a beach towel and sun block.

So I then decided to try your Work in Progress (W.I.P.) tune, and that's when I noticed you changed the oil. I did not. But I did remove the wing and reinstalled the standard one. back to MT. P and another joy ride. Ride off the bat I liked the lower-stiffer suspension, but the rear was not as tame. Thought it might be do to the rear toe going from +0.50 to +o.05. Combined with lack of rear downforce. But I soldiered on, fought with it and was actually faster a few times but unable to complete the lap without hitting something, going off or spinning. Not all necessarily due to the tune either, some may have been my driving. Was a little off I think, but anyway. I also liked this trans setup better, the car felt faster with better accel out of the corners. When right, turn in was not bad if you drove with sensibility, diving in hard is never wise in this car. Easy in, smooth through the center, fast out worked. And I liked it almost as much as the first setup overall, but was slower. Best lap was in the 2:27 range, but was up on the ghost and should have/could have been in the 2:25 range.

So one more try I think should do it. Put the wing back on, changed the rear toe to 0.50. Thought about adding the rear camber as well, but did not. Might have been a mistake. You could feel the wing slowing the car down just a touch, and more rear stability with the toe. But when the rear went now, it was gone. Seemed like it was caused by the wing. Adding rear camber might have helped. Again, same issues in the same places (or place:embarrassed::dunce::grumpy::banghead:) but a really good offering. My thought is it would be better on a track I know how to drive better. And the handling was much better than stock, since this car is a bit of a psycho, I would say job well done. I live to tell the tale and would drive it again. Somewhere in the midst of your original tune, and the update is a really high quality tune. Maybe adding the rear camber and slightly, and I mean slightly softer rear springs might do the trick. Along with LSD decel being increased. But those are just my thoughts. Best lap in the final run was high 2:26 range. So the original was faster, but more time on the final version I drove would like go faster for me and my style. Nice job. Keep at it, it is tamable as you have obviously found out. ;)

@Pete05 489pp Evora compilation review:

So if your tired of my reviews, then stop reading here........

If curiosity gets the better of you then continue........

Noticed you did not use weight reduction or ballast, interesting idea. And on Sports:Hard??? Ok then, to your homeland and Mt Panorama, but I should warn you I struggle here. Especially after the long back straight and into the hard braking zone before the left hander. Always brake too early or too late, wind up cutting the corner or taking a trip to the beach. Takes many laps before I get it right and thus I tend to choose other tracks. But for you it just felt appropriate.

Extra weight was not a concern at all, nor the tire choice. Handling was pretty good even if mostly stock, rear flying out on fast corners was cured by a slight lift of the throttle. Not all the way mind you, just half throttle and we were off and running to the next section. Braking was skittish at times, standard brakes maybe, or I was too hard too late. Not really sure. Overall a nice job here, took some getting used to but this car will do that to you. Once I new how to keep the rear doing what I wanted, I was all good until I got to that dreaded corner and off into the sand I went. Or the rear would come around on me. This was the only place I really had any issue, and as stated, it's where I usually do. But, even with my driving errors and lack of ability here, I ran a lap of 2:25.798, which I felt good about. And I enjoyed it, other then not having a beach towel and sun block.

So I then decided to try your Work in Progress (W.I.P.) tune, and that's when I noticed you changed the oil. I did not. But I did remove the wing and reinstalled the standard one. back to MT. P and another joy ride. Ride off the bat I liked the lower-stiffer suspension, but the rear was not as tame. Thought it might be do to the rear toe going from +0.50 to +o.05. Combined with lack of rear downforce. But I soldiered on, fought with it and was actually faster a few times but unable to complete the lap without hitting something, going off or spinning. Not all necessarily due to the tune either, some may have been my driving. Was a little off I think, but anyway. I also liked this trans setup better, the car felt faster with better accel out of the corners. When right, turn in was not bad if you drove with sensibility, diving in hard is never wise in this car. Easy in, smooth through the center, fast out worked. And I liked it almost as much as the first setup overall, but was slower. Best lap was in the 2:27 range, but was up on the ghost and should have/could have been in the 2:25 range.

So one more try I think should do it. Put the wing back on, changed the rear toe to 0.50. Thought about adding the rear camber as well, but did not. Might have been a mistake. You could feel the wing slowing the car down just a touch, and more rear stability with the toe. But when the rear went now, it was gone. Seemed like it was caused by the wing. Adding rear camber might have helped. Again, same issues in the same places (or place:embarrassed::dunce::grumpy::banghead:) but a really good offering. My thought is it would be better on a track I know how to drive better. And the handling was much better than stock, since this car is a bit of a psycho, I would say job well done. I live to tell the tale and would drive it again. Somewhere in the midst of your original tune, and the update is a really high quality tune. Maybe adding the rear camber and slightly, and I mean slightly softer rear springs might do the trick. Along with LSD decel being increased. But those are just my thoughts. Best lap in the final run was high 2:26 range. So the original was faster, but more time on the final version I drove would like go faster for me and my style. Nice job. Keep at it, it is tamable as you have obviously found out. ;)
Thankyou Sir for the comprehensive review of my tune in both of it's states. There's some very good good for thought.
To stop ending up at the beach without your bucket & spade is difficult if you don't know the track all that well and the absence of any definite braking markers. My advice is, depending on the car and approach speed, to brake just before the bottom of the dip in the road between the kink and the slow left. With a flat out run through the right hand kink of Conrod Straight, braking here should wash off enough speed to get you through the slow left with the blind exit.
As a footnote, this 3 corner complex was added to the track in 1987 following a fatal crash after a car for airborne and struck the right footing of the bridge over the circuit. Group A Touring Cars were hitting 275km/h just before the braking area and getting light over the last hump. Ironically, the fastest cars were reaching the same speed just before the right hand kink in 1987. A current V8 Supercar takes the kink flat out at 295km/h+. Progress never stops.

Blue Strike

Tyres : Sport Hard

Horsepower : 352 PS
Torque : 403 Nm

Weight : 1210 ; 117kg of ballast at -50 position

Weight distribution : 46/54
Power Limiter : 100 %

500 PP

Parts :

Paint : Persian Blue

Install :
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Intake Tuning
Isometric Exhaust
Catalytic Converter Sport
Customizable Suspension Kit
Customizable LSD
Customizable Transmission
Double Clutch Kit
Racing Brake

The Setup :

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 98 93
Spring Rate: 8.40 14.20
Dampers (Compression): 4 6
Dampers (Extension): 6 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 3
Camber Angle: 1.5 1.3
Toe Angle: 0.03 0.15

Transmission :

Set to default
Adjust final gear to 4.000
Move the max speed to 210km/h
1st. 3.800
2nd. 2.650
3rd. 1.870
4th. 1.520
5th. 1.280
6th. 1.000

Final gear. 3.200

LSD

Initial Torque : 5 /
Acceleration Sensitivity: 27 /
Braking Sensitivity: 27 /

Brake Balance

2/3

Blue Strike

Tyres : Sport Hard

Horsepower : 352 PS
Torque : 403 Nm

Weight : 1210 ; 117kg of ballast at -50 position

Weight distribution : 46/54
Power Limiter : 100 %

500 PP

Parts :

Paint : Persian Blue

Install :
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Intake Tuning
Isometric Exhaust
Catalytic Converter Sport
Customizable Suspension Kit
Customizable LSD
Customizable Transmission
Double Clutch Kit
Racing Brake

The Setup :

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 98 93
Spring Rate: 8.40 14.20
Dampers (Compression): 4 6
Dampers (Extension): 6 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 3
Camber Angle: 1.5 1.3
Toe Angle: 0.03 0.15

Transmission :

Set to default
Adjust final gear to 4.000
Move the max speed to 210km/h
1st. 3.800
2nd. 2.650
3rd. 1.870
4th. 1.520
5th. 1.280
6th. 1.000

Final gear. 3.200

LSD

Initial Torque : 5 /
Acceleration Sensitivity: 27 /
Braking Sensitivity: 27 /

Brake Balance

2/3
Welcome to the party, or with this car, nightmare.:lol:

Will get it linked and added to my list of tunes test. Great to see you joining in.:)

@shaunm80 I can't get the numbers to match. I'm using S1 engine, sport comp, sport exhaust, S2 weight reduction and carbon hood. Your tune says 98% but with the added ballast mine is 499pp at 100%. Did you change the oil?
This tune is pretty much a year old so if it builds okay and can reach 499PP, go ahead and test with that. I haven't got time to log on now to check as I am on a early shift tomorrow. :)

I'm wondering if I'm tuning the same car as everyone else since I see everyone talking about how undrivable it is, but it feels pretty predictable and fast to me. My tune is coming soon, I'm currently trying to make it more reliable and hopefully quicker.
It's a tricky car, but if you get it right, or to where you like it, it can be Big fun.

@TheInfamousJEW6 500pp "Stage 1" review:

First off, don't take this wrong, had a few minor issues building the tune.
  • Had to change the oil to get numbers to match.
  • Pic shoes front Aero, no mention but I installed.
  • No mention of rim change/upgrade, left stock.
Took to Euro Hot Hatch event- Spa
Lots of front ballast, for the most part this balanced the Car nicely. It did however, cause minor understeer if driven too deep into the corner on entry. Really nice amount of grip, just minimal rear sliding. But with heavy MR this is always expected. Gearing meant I had to take advantage of and use 1st gear. Much better than stock, more fun too. Best lap of 2:38.747.

Took to Tour of Europe - Brands Hatch
First turn was an adventure (usually is) but once tires warmed up, was no longer an issue. Good turn in, mid corner rotation and exit was not bad either. Really good job setting the brakes and LSD as well. As at Spa, this is easy to drive, easy to get power down, which meant an easy win. Even on SH tires against SS! Just had to be careful in turn 1. Best lap of 1:35.897.

Nice tune, fun tune, hoping your 550pp Stage 2 is up to the challenge of matching this one.

@TheInfamousJEW6 550pp "Stage 2" review:

Again, few minors things to point out for others if testing:

• Oil change needed
  • Pic shows Aero/wing - installed
  • Added carbon body color hood to match numbers
  • Initial final gear needs to be 5.500, not 5.000
On we go, and this time to a Custom track of mine called Eifel Woods. Fast and easy track, similar to Silverstone meets Rome if you will.
More front end slide on entry, but more power means I'm going faster. Easily remedied. Did find in a long sweeping corner, picking up the throttle caused some nose lift resulting in understeer. Patience removed the issue, but might have cost some time. Might want to raise initial LSD slightly, or make minor damper adjustments. Might also just be me and that corner. In higher speed chicane, had to be careful not to push too hard. Would cause loss of grip, resulting in unrecoverable spin. Otherwise, all was well. Once I figured these issues (minor if anything) out, the rest was fun and fast.

So I then went to the Supercar Festival-Silverstone International. Left SM tires installed.
I really enjoy this event, fun taking down the AI in their Supercars. Found it to require a certain line however. If straying from it, understeer in turn 2 arises. Minor front end push or sliding, but better here. Rear can get loose and slide as well, but mostly do to the car itself, not the tune. All others parts of the tune worked well and made for an easy win. Yeah, taking down a Huarya long before the finish in an Evora equipped with SM tires, now that's fun times. Best lap of 1:07.968.

Overall, this (as was your 500pp offering) is a nice tune. Should be rather versatile when used in more wide open tracks. Tight London or Madrid might get hairy, but I don't like tight City courses.

Well done, I enjoyed these tests.

I've got a question about this car. I see a lot of people adding around 100 kgs of weight to the front of it. Are you doing this to
1. create more PP headroom to squeeze more horsepower out of the tune
2. to rebalance the car once it has the additional horsepower?

I'm currently running a stable tune with only 30 kgs of extra weight (330 bhp), wondering if I am missing out on that additional horsepower. I tried adding the weight and engine parts, but that didn't help it as much as I wouldve liked it to, it started understeering in the wrong parts of the track so I couldn't make any gains (SH tyres).

Back