Oculus RiftPC 

• Thread starter Sponsor
  • 4 comments
I just tried it today. It's amazing so far.

The image quality is reduced and I'm still playing with settings. But the overall experience is dramatically improved.

I had been playing project cars with this today so my impression may change in time. Maybe the novelty will wear off. And I never tried any head tracking software. But it's the difference between playing a game and being inside the game. You look at your steering wheel and you see all the dials and lcd panels. The hands move like your hands. It's overwhelming.

I had to take a break. It's a bit of sensory overload.

Keep in mind that the image quality is reduced and it's all very demanding on your hardware. My i7 6700k and 980Ti looks like it can't max things out at all. I'm going to need a 1080 at least. But if you don't obsess over the graphic detail, the overall experience totally outweighs the graphics issues.

P.S. there is no Oculus forum here?

That's probably a perfect explanation... I'd say the exact same thing... It's super cool... Ut my PC was running ultra settings on 3 screens with 90+ fps and the rift is very taxing on the cpu... I'm now no crowds, no sun effects, no grass detail no anti aliasing, and high settings and flirting with 60fps and way worse at night or rain...

In the rift it's basically like you're playing in 480p
But your brain gets used to it and it's super immersive... And that's coming from a triple monitor user...

Open wheel cars are nuts and if you use a wheel and shifter it's a whole different level...

Unless you have a beast of a computer you'll only enjoy the novelty of head tracking and be disappointed by the graphics hit... To me it's been worth it so far...

The nice thing is the headset feels like a helmet so that actually helps with the immersive feeling too

Have you tried using OculusDebugTool and increasing the pixel density?

It's essentially supersampling and greatly reduces pixilation.

I got it working in Elite Dangerous but not pCars.

I would say it's more than head tracking. It's being in the game. I'm still blown away

I have not - I thought that taxed the cpu even more ? Any little bit would help - I'm ok with high settings and no crowds or special effects - would just like to have higher fps..... I think I saw a YouTube vid on how to do it... I didn't wanna risk botching something tho

****edit
I did try the debug tool and changed some other settings around after doing that and it did help resolution a bit!!

Last edited:
Back