Official 2011/12 Barclays Premier League Thread

• Thread starter iScoRcHv
  • 1,036 comments
Arsenal need him. Aside from van Persie, they're pretty impotent upfront, and the heavy defeat to United and the clumsy defeat to Fulham show that they're inept elsewhere too.

Have always though Mark Hughes was overrated, and hopefully he will get relegated, not because of QPR, but because of the owners and him, walking straight in.
He left Fulham for bigger things, now he has ended up at Loftus road. Not really a step up if you ask me.

It was great seeing Henry score for his 1st game back as a Gunner. I just wished he had the talent behind him to send him balls like that in the MLS because seeing him live at the NJ Red Bulls stadium... you just can tell there's still so much more potential than what he's given.
NJ Red Bulls arena is 1 town over from me, literally less than 5min drive.

I think Man City is going to have a big issue with no Toure due to African tourney and no Kompany thanks to these reds

Newcastle, eh? Off topic, but if we beat Brighton in the replay your boys will be playing my boys down at the Racecourse! Newcastle are going well though. A steady recovery from the Manager Of The Month curse.

Beating United was pretty neat. I was very impressed while watching on the telly.

The United game was incredible :D

No disrespect to Wrexham but I do hope Brighton win that game, only for the fact that I live in Brighton and I can go to the game at the AMEX :D. Havn't seen Newcastle play since the Champions League in 04.

I watched City - Liverpool yesterday; it proved what I thought earlier - City will miss Kompany and Toure. Not sure about date of Silva's return, but Nasri is nowhere near as good as him, in the same way Savic is no Kompany and De Jong is no Toure. Would Welbeck score 2nd in recent Manchester derby if that was Toure, not De Jong there? Don't think so. With Spurs visiting Etihad in 10 days, I really can see away win there, despite Adebayor being ineligible. With United playing Arsenal away later that day, I can definitely see Spurs topping the table. Who would have predicted that when they got their first league points in September?

Good game the Swansea - Arsenal affair. If it wasn't for the prolific Van Persie, Arsenal would be battling to stay up.

Wenger complains when teams don't try to take Arsenal on.

Team takes Arsenal on. (And wins)

Wenger complains.

Arsenal are just completely impotent. And they can't purchase any players worthy of replacing the previous team. Nasri and Fabregas? They could do with them.

If Liverpool had 2 more players who could score we could win the bloody league.

Liverpool just don't perform against the small sides. I can't fathom why.

Whenever they play a big team like United or Chelsea, they always seem to step up a gear and play much better than they usually do.

But whenever the situation is "You know what, if Liverpool pick up a win now, they could really start to kick on", and they play Swansea, Wigan, Stoke and so on... they just can't do it. Why? Lack of motivation from the players because it's a small team?

Carroll was a grade A donkey before he had the misfortune of Liverpool paying a hyperinflated transfer fee for him to live up to. Find someone else, he is simply not good enough for a top 6 side.

Carroll is shocking. His touch is so poor. He can head the ball, that's about it. You need more than that from a striker.

7th draw at Home for Liverpool this season, we spent alot of money aswell getting this group of players together, making me go insane.

Carroll is shocking. His touch is so poor. He can head the ball, that's about it. You need more than that from a striker.

He wasn't much cop at Newcastle. He got 17 goals in the Championship, which is good going for a striker who is not a classic poacher but not many strikers can replicate that form in the Premiership. Certainly not for one of the big clubs. It's arguable that he got his break in the first team because of Newcastle's relegation. Had they stayed up, they probably would have signed some big money flop rather than look at their own prospects.

I think Carroll is a decent striker, truth be told. Not a great one, but a decent one. He's very much a Duncan Ferguson type of player. Not your 20-25 goal a season striker, but more of a target man. He can/could be competent at the right club, but I fear that that club is not Liverpool. It's a step too far and he probably needed more game time at a lesser club to sharpen up. True, he's 23 with plenty of years ahead of him but he didn't even get into the Newcastle team until he was 21.

Like I've said, it's unfortunate on him that Liverpool paid such a hefty amount for him. £35,000,000. He's their record signing for crying out loud! But with all the paper talk we get these days as soon as you hear "Striker", "Potential" and especially "England" in the same sentence, everybody starts falling over themselves to big up said player for the future. It's an awful lot to live up to.

I personally think Liverpool would be in top 2 places right now if they kept Torres (pending he wasn't sucking at scoring goals like he is ever since he went to Chelsea) and had they kept my man Raul Meireles. Meireles was the man in midfield for 'pool but for some reason they offloaded him (money?)
And Carroll is good but I think overhyped

He wasn't much cop at Newcastle. He got 17 goals in the Championship, which is good going for a striker who is not a classic poacher but not many strikers can replicate that form in the Premiership. Certainly not for one of the big clubs. It's arguable that he got his break in the first team because of Newcastle's relegation. Had they stayed up, they probably would have signed some big money flop rather than look at their own prospects.

I think Carroll is a decent striker, truth be told. Not a great one, but a decent one. He's very much a Duncan Ferguson type of player. Not your 20-25 goal a season striker, but more of a target man. He can/could be competent at the right club, but I fear that that club is not Liverpool. It's a step too far and he probably needed more game time at a lesser club to sharpen up. True, he's 23 with plenty of years ahead of him but he didn't even get into the Newcastle team until he was 21.

Like I've said, it's unfortunate on him that Liverpool paid such a hefty amount for him. £35,000,000. He's their record signing for crying out loud! But with all the paper talk we get these days as soon as you hear "Striker", "Potential" and especially "England" in the same sentence, everybody starts falling over themselves to big up said player for the future. It's an awful lot to live up to.

Truth spoken. I agree with this 100%. So much hype in England, that's for sure, and teams like City and PSG aren't doing anything to help transfer prices. Have you read the latest stuff Ancelotti is saying about offers?! :odd: Over the top.

I personally think Liverpool would be in top 2 places right now if they kept Torres (pending he wasn't sucking at scoring goals like he is ever since he went to Chelsea) and had they kept my man Raul Meireles. Meireles was the man in midfield for 'pool but for some reason they offloaded him (money?)
And Carroll is good but I think overhyped

I tend to agree with this as well. I always loved Merieles at Liverpool, but for some reason they didn't seem to rate him. Just look at his work rate for Chelsea now. And although Torres missed that bicycle, it shows that he still has the instinct for goals, he just needs to get the fire going again.

I really think we could do something if we had a poacher or tap-in merchant.

I really think we could do something if we had a poacher or tap-in merchant.

Someone like Darren Bent could do a job for Liverpool, his finishing is class, I reckon he'd be decent fit.

Class players, but top 2? You'd probably be fighting Spurs for 3rd. And Torres' poor form was way before he signed for Chelsea.

Another weekend of Premier League ahead. City v Spurs, Arsenal v United, phwoar.

Class players, but top 2? You'd probably be fighting Spurs for 3rd. And Torres' poor form was way before he signed for Chelsea.

This.

Torres was dog 18 months before they sold him. He was also one of several players who didn't put in 100% under the ill-fated Hodgson regime.

To get £50,000,000 out of him considering his previous 18-24 months is absolutely astonishing. Then they record sign Andy Carroll for 70% of that fee. Even more astonishing.

Back