Official GT Blog: "Pit Stop" by Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 2,207 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're all eagerly awaiting the next portion of the piece on sound but I'd like to point out that the other blog posts are certainly worth reading too. This bit caught my attention...
As soon as we had all our gear loaded in the BMW, Yamauchi san called to me: “Alright, come with me in the GT-R on the Autobahn!”. It took a bit of time to find the language settings for the navigation that was set in German, but off to the Autobahn we went.

On the Autobahn, there is no speed limit unless it’s a dangerous section. Even your everyday family car is doing 160km/h or more on average.

m02_05.jpg

Then there we are, going over 280km/h, at a speed faster than the speed range of your everyday FIA GT3 machine! But the fact that I don’t feel any fear at all goes to say lots about the quality of the drivers behind the wheel on the Autobahn. At sections under construction with speed limits, everyone drops precisely to the specified speed. There’s definitely less drivers here who breaks the rules as compared to Japan.

280kph, in a GTR with Kaz driving? That's an awesome experience right there!

MGR
Kaz should get a job in politics.

Seems he's successfully managed to placate most of you without even answering the 'Sound Update' question.
Oh I don't think so. I think those with a more discerning eye to the game and PD like myself, are just taking a wait and see approach. No point in leaping all over Kaz when the communication just began to flow. Let's see how the various segments of the sound issue play out before we start questioning the sincerity of this project. If he gets through all his blog posts about sound and doesn't address any of the specific questions in the "Sound" thread in the Kaz Forum, then we'll have something to talk about. Until then, let's let the man finish what he has to say before leaping to conclusions.

I have this belief that tells me it's being saved for GT7, or whatever Kaz is up to.
Which is perfectly fine as well. I said early on we're looking for communication, for definitive answers but we have to be prepared to not get all the specific responses we want. I want state of the art sounds yesterday. Not possible. I want them on the PS3 now. Probably not going to happen. PS4 is next, will they be ready for launch? If not, why not? We only want to know what the plans are for the future and when stuff will be ready because right now we know nothing and are left wondering and guessing.

Which is perfectly fine as well. I said early on we're looking for communication, for definitive answers but we have to be prepared to not get all the specific responses we want. I want state of the art sounds yesterday. Not possible. I want them on the PS3 now. Probably not going to happen. PS4 is next, will they be ready for launch? If not, why not? We only want to know what the plans are for the future and when stuff will be ready because right now we know nothing and are left wondering and guessing.
Especially one leading to disappointing themselves if he/she expects THAT to happen in a next update or for GT6 in general. Better to assume this sound thing being saved for the next generation of GT (PS4), but shouldn't expect that either because you never know or don't know. Thus, as you said, we're left wondering and guessing. Nothing we can do.

smiley_shrug%5B1%5D.gif

Theres another part to his answer. But Kaz has a personal life. He is at the Nurburgring for the 24hr race this weekend, so he may update that first before jumping back onto the sound issue.

Get your expectations in check, guys. Rome wasn't built in a day. Apparently your questions wont be answered in a day either. All things are relative, though. And with a huge race sponsored by Gran Turismo, you can bet thats probably the first thing on Kaz's mind. If the blogs are going to be updated by PD, Kaz will probably have a say in it, so it may be tomorrow, it may be next week.

The problem with testing a cars sound at idle is pretty clear. No load. No load = little boost pressure being produced = less turbo noise and less waste or dump valve noise also. And although Kaz hasn't stated when the sounds can he fixed kaz is highlighting it's no simple quick fix due to the capture process.

I have to say that this is rather amusing, after we get a few paragraphs of stuff we really have known about for some time - how they used to record sounds and all, and all of a sudden, people are singing all manner of different tunes. ;)

This is nice of Kaz to set aside time for this, very nice in fact. But this doesn't change him into a human being from some mean, uncaring millionaire who has been trolling us while he rolls around laughing in his money bin. He's been that human being all along.

Sometimes it seems like me, Jordan, Famine, amar212 and a chosen few of us here understand that, and how much it probably hurts Kaz to be told that his cars all sound like garbage disposals. That he has done a lot for the racing game genre, the car world, the motorsports and racing world and who knows what else. But neglect something in his video game, and some of us go bonkers, as if he killed your dog, and then did donuts on the corpse in your front yard.

I've never lost sight of the knowledge that Kaz - and his team, this is a team effort after all - pour their hearts and souls into this crazy living thing known as Gran Turismo. I know that people remark that this isn't a charity, that they do it for money. But game developers are a unique breed of human. They wouldn't live at a bank, sleeping under their desks because they can't seem to tear themselves away from their digital balance sheets. They're creators. Artisans. They give themselves over to this crazy life because it's their passion. They get something out of producing all this code, or arranging polygons on a screen, or painting these virtual objects, or recording sounds for these virtual vehicles and tires, knowing that millions of fans are playing with what they fashioned out of their imaginations.

They spent a lot of their life on this virtual dream we share. I'd never treat them like my own personal punching bag because the vision they fashioned for me isn't perfect. When Ferrari Challenge gave me fits, I had a meltdown on the Eutechnyx boards once, and I whined for a few posts about the driver views, or the bots that moved aside for you to pass just long enough to let you beside them before they rammed you off the road. But I didn't make a career out of calling them hacks that couldn't give me what I wanted. And I never said that they cared about nothing but filthy lucre. And as much as I still like FC, I don't think it's half the game GT6 is. Nor would I use that to badger them about it.

I knew that Kaz hadn't changed, that this was who he was all along. And I was right.

With regards to the blog posts about sound, in the last one he does hint that the solution to the sound recording issue is a special dyno.

I think it is unlikely however, that they can get every car on the dyno, much as they would like it. Particularly legacy cars and prototype racing cars etc, are unlikely to be available for such intensive testing, which means they still need to come up with a different way of 'creating' the sound for them.

I like the blog but why the drama?
Just post it in one part and done.
This is like waiting for Game of Thrones S5.

On another matter, is anyone else getting the feeling that PD is more interrested beeing a racingteam than a gamecreator nowdays? That is the vibe i get from this blog.

In another matter, is anyone else getting the feeling that PD is more interrested beeing a racingteam than a gamecreator nowdays? That is the vibe i get from this blog.

Polyphony is still very much a game developer. Kazunori only takes part in one race, which takes him a couple of days a year (including qualifying and whatnot); saying that he's only focusing on his racing career would be silly. The first posts on the blog just happen to focus on the 24 hours of Nürburgring because the race starts tomorrow.

With regards to the blog posts about sound, in the last one he does hint that the solution to the sound recording issue is a special dyno.

I think it is unlikely however, that they can get every car on the dyno, much as they would like it. Particularly legacy cars and prototype racing cars etc, are unlikely to be available for such intensive testing, which means they still need to come up with a different way of 'creating' the sound for them.
Can they develop sounds from videos? Are game developers able to do that, or is there problems?

I have to say that this is rather amusing, after we get a few paragraphs of stuff we really have known about for some time - how they used to record sounds and all, and all of a sudden, people are singing all manner of different tunes. ;)

This is nice of Kaz to set aside time for this, very nice in fact. But this doesn't change him into a human being from some mean, uncaring millionaire who has been trolling us while he rolls around laughing in his money bin. He's been that human being all along.

Sometimes it seems like me, Jordan, Famine, amar212 and a chosen few of us here understand that, and how much it probably hurts Kaz to be told that his cars all sound like garbage disposals. That he has done a lot for the racing game genre, the car world, the motorsports and racing world and who knows what else. But neglect something in his video game, and some of us go bonkers, as if he killed your dog, and then did donuts on the corpse in your front yard.

I've never lost sight of the knowledge that Kaz - and his team, this is a team effort after all - pour their hearts and souls into this crazy living thing known as Gran Turismo. I know that people remark that this isn't a charity, that they do it for money. But game developers are a unique breed of human. They wouldn't live at a bank, sleeping under their desks because they can't seem to tear themselves away from their digital balance sheets. They're creators. Artisans. They give themselves over to this crazy life because it's their passion. They get something out of producing all this code, or arranging polygons on a screen, or painting these virtual objects, or recording sounds for these virtual vehicles and tires, knowing that millions of fans are playing with what they fashioned out of their imaginations.

They spent a lot of their life on this virtual dream we share. I'd never treat them like my own personal punching bag because the vision they fashioned for me isn't perfect. When Ferrari Challenge gave me fits, I had a meltdown on the Eutechnyx boards once, and I whined for a few posts about the driver views, or the bots that moved aside for you to pass just long enough to let you beside them before they rammed you off the road. But I didn't make a career out of calling them hacks that couldn't give me what I wanted. And I never said that they cared about nothing but filthy lucre. And as much as I still like FC, I don't think it's half the game GT6 is. Nor would I use that to badger them about it.

I knew that Kaz hadn't changed, that this was who he was all along. And I was right.
98% of the feedback so far is positive. I knew you'd be along soon enough to make sure we didn't forget the tiny sliver of negativity. Way to stay positive.:lol:

LMAO...

(please: tell me it was a joke post)

It's official. You exaggerate for attention. Do what you gotta do to enjoy life I guess, right?

Sometimes it seems like me, Jordan, Famine, amar212 and a chosen few of us here understand that, and how much it probably hurts Kaz to be told that his cars all sound like garbage disposals.

Yeah, you're one of the chosen few, man. You're so important. Only you can see the light. :cheers:

It's official. You exaggerate for attention. Do what you gotta do to enjoy life I guess, right?
I think the End Of The World attitude this place has trumps anything you have to say about mine. So, yeah... ;)

Not me.

It was a good start, it's true, but I expect something more ambitious :)
Well, we all do that. But those of us who dug into the first Course Maker had a blast creating curvy, dipping, sweeping road courses to fly around. And I'm hoping that we can import them into CM II, so we can trick them up a bit more. My first track, some ridiculously ambitious thing 5.6 miles long, became my co-fave course along with the Nordshleife.

With the PS3 looking pretty cramped and most of the horsepower used up already, I'm afraid that the real Course Maker II can only be realized properly on PS4. Which is making me hopeful that GT6 becomes GT7 Prologue with some of these goodies like the new Course Maker, Race Mod, Livery Editor, Event Maker, and whatever else Kaz and the team can bless us with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back