OK, I've had enough.aka"DA throws down the Gauntlet"

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 199 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
i will be entering the next challange because i had to restart my game file so ill be in the next one for sure :dopey: but im just gonna be ignored :dopey:

wow, this sounds like its going to be fun. i wonder what crazy stuff/car are going to be used. hmmm if i get good enough with my NSX, then i am all go. time to practice some more.

rickjames
i will be entering the next challange because i had to restart my game file so ill be in the next one for sure :dopey: but im just gonna be ignored :dopey:

What the hell happened to your game file? I don't think I've ever experienced any type of corruption with any of my saves.

Are using all North American stuff? (PS2, game, memory card, etc.)

Is your PS2 modded? Whatever corrupted your file really sucks!

Sorry to hear that dude. :guilty:

TankSpanker
I just wanted to suggest a few rule additions:

since we are going to vote on the winner, the videos should remain anonymous so that the voting is not swayed by the creator's identity

the lap timer should appear in the replay to prevent chopping multiple laps and presenting them as a single clean lap

Oh, another question regarding this, in AO's original post he never mentioned it needing to be a full lap with no cuts, so at first I figured you could use one or multiple cars at the same track and compile your best drifts. Am I wrong? Has this not yet been decided? Also, are these JUST replays? Or are these music video style replays? Does syncing with the music help to achieve a better critique? I'm not sure what's being judged here, drifting techniques, or videos as a whole.

I know AO said he would clarify more as we went, just some more questions :dopey:

Woo. I'm new..xD. Though I've been reading GTPlanet for about a week now. Been attempting to use several settings and read the articles created by TankSpanker and Swift throughly over five times. I've grasped a basic concept of drifting so far...mainly having trouble taking the desired line and properly shifting weight sometimes. Eh, interested in this competition though. Hopefully I'll be able to throw something together and shoot for my best even though it's not up to par with some of the others. :P Doesn't hurt to try. Anyhow, great contest getting started here Del Alta.

itzLINKY
Woo. I'm new..xD. Though I've been reading GTPlanet for about a week now. Been attempting to use several settings and read the articles created by TankSpanker and Swift throughly over five times. I've grasped a basic concept of drifting so far...mainly having trouble taking the desired line and properly shifting weight sometimes. Eh, interested in this competition though. Hopefully I'll be able to throw something together and shoot for my best even though it's not up to par with some of the others. :P Doesn't hurt to try. Anyhow, great contest getting started here Del Alta.

Welcome :) Looking forward to as many competitors as possible in this, I hope we end up with 3 completely random people's videos. I'd love to see Swift and TankSpanker outdone by New Members :crazy: :lol:

So good to see everyone being interested.

AO, I was working on my first GT4 drift vid but this i will definitely join and postpone the vid work just a tiny bit.

As far as replay rules are concerned, I think the lap time will have to be the DEFINITE REQUIREMENT to show that no one chops and puts together entry vids. Other gadgets aren't quite necessary but i think we should leave it up to entrant's choice.

more than 1 month to do this? This is just my suggestion but i think that's a bit too lengthy, considering the added judging time and the poll afterwards. 3 weeks? IMO, i think that's plenty because it doesn't take even a day to run your best laps.

AO, i think you're livening up the GT4 community; you got me pumped up 👍

good luck to everyone.

burnout060
I'd love to see Swift and TankSpanker outdone by New Members :crazy: :lol:

hehe, I would too, and fully expect it to happen. There's lotsa talented people lurking around here. ;)

Don't let me down guys. I'm gonna be going all out, i want that premium membership.
👍

burnout060
Oh, another question regarding this, in AO's original post he never mentioned it needing to be a full lap with no cuts, so at first I figured you could use one or multiple cars at the same track and compile your best drifts. Am I wrong? Has this not yet been decided? Also, are these JUST replays? Or are these music video style replays? Does syncing with the music help to achieve a better critique? I'm not sure what's being judged here, drifting techniques, or videos as a whole.

I know AO said he would clarify more as we went, just some more questions :dopey:
Hmmm... That I'll have to think on. I'd prefer it to be a music style video, but that presents a problem with synching music to a full replay. I've spent some time watching Pergatorys week 5 submittal (Thanks TS) and I think that he did an excellent job of showing a drift lap. It set the bar, but doesn't inspire.

Yes, synched to music. It can be out of order, and it can be multiple cuts and styles, but it has to be the same car on Tsukuba Circuit - Forward, through out. ForcedInduction makes some good points, and as much as I'd like to see everyone show off a smooth and exciting lap, I think that having style as part of the making of it, can bring the reputation of GT4: Drifting forum a step higher.

While Pergatory's lap at Cote is a beautiful demonstration of drifting, it doesn't make you sit back and say "Woah, that was absoutely awesome".

So...I'd like to see excellent drifting technique, as well as excellent video choreography teamed up with good music.

That's what I'm looking for. The eye popping "Woah" factor. Yes, I'm leaving it open ended. I don't want to specify so many things that we get caught up in technical minutia. I want newly registered members to step back three months from now and say, "Damn, thats what I want to do."

AO

Der Alta
Hmmm... That I'll have to think on. I'd prefer it to be a music style video, but that presents a problem with synching music to a full replay. I've spent some time watching Pergatorys week 5 submittal (Thanks TS) and I think that he did an excellent job of showing a drift lap. It set the bar, but doesn't inspire.

Yes, synched to music. It can be out of order, and it can be multiple cuts and styles, but it has to be the same car on Tsukuba Circuit - Forward, through out.

While Pergatory's lap at Cote is a beautiful demonstration of drifting, it doesn't make you sit back and say "Woah, that was absoutely awesome".

So...I'd like to see excellent drifting technique, as well as excellent video choreography teamed up with good music.

That's what I'm looking for. The eye popping "Woah" factor. Yes, I'm leaving it open ended. I don't want to specify so many things that we get caught up in technical minutia. I want newly registered members to step back three months from now and say, "Damn, thats what I want to do."

AO

Oh man, that's not such a good idea to cut and glue together...

I recall GTP challenges back in the GT3 days heing full, uncut laps on a course. Cutting and glueing with syncing music IMO is just making drift VIDEOS and video editting skills can score easy points for a talented editor.

But if you must, i'm not the one to decide. Just showing my opinions.

Der Alta

Yes, synched to music. It can be out of order, and it can be multiple cuts and styles, but it has to be the same car on Tsukuba Circuit - Forward, through out. ForcedInduction makes some good points, and as much as I'd like to see everyone show off a smooth and exciting lap, I think that having style as part of the making of it, can bring the reputation of GT4: Drifting forum a step higher.

AO

I completely agree. As fun as it is to watch someone do a clean drifting lap, I think it'd much cooler to let people decide on their own music and sync in some sick drifts. I think full drifting replay laps like Pergatory's (purple 180SX vid at Cote Azure, right?) should be posted in the Fastest Lap Time thread. This should be a style contest, determined by the skill of the drifts in combination with the presentation of the overall video.

Wow, You must of gotten sick of most of the poor videos :lol:

But a challenge is a challenge. The NTSCer's have got a big advantage over PAL. Oh well. Not one to complain :)

i agree with forced induction, the winner should be the best drifter not the one who has the best software and capture card.

Id like to see 2 or 3, 1 lap uncut runs joined together. This makes it easeir for us people with budget software lol.

But its not my competition and im not paying for the prize, but thats just my opinion.

Im in no matter what the rules :).

i think the challenge is greater as one uncut lap. music vids can be done at our own time. I had ppl complaining about the music I used in my past vids, ppl should be judgin the drifts, nothin else.

apexd1fd3s
i think the challenge is greater as one uncut lap. music vids can be done at our own time. I had ppl complaining about the music I used in my past vids, ppl should be judgin the drifts, nothin else.
very true, I hate the corny asian music I hear in the videos but I enjoy the cars... HARDCORE FOR LIFE!!!

apexd1fd3s

yup, i agree, just 1 lap, no special effect (maybe jst the opening) so we can see people run a perfect lap :D)

ForcedInduction
Yes, drift challenges should be drifting, not editting or style of music and video.
True, but this is more than a drift challenge, this is a challenge of ability. I want to see eveyone here bring it to the next level. A Drifting showcase of that talent the Members of GTP drifting has.

I suppose I should show an example.

This Video is about 95% there in what I'm expecting. AWD projectBLACK. The only miss was on the Choreography and synching of the music (even there, he was 85% on target). But everything else was right on the money.

I have a large range of musical tastes, so the only way that would matter is if it completely misses the mark in synching with drifts. The Drifting is the content. The editing, the music and the lighting are secondary.

I know this is getting complicated, and I don't want it to. A simple challenge to showcase the abilities present here. I'll narrow the choices down at the end, but ultimately, all of you get to pick the winner. Not me. And if you're worried that I'll pick favorites, you don't have to. I'm certain that the videos presented will be shown here after the winners are picked.

Rest assured, I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone else here.

AO

Im up for the challenge!!

Though it will probably be at least 6 months before Im proficient enough to drift the tight hairpins at Tsukuba.

Hey Gnome, I might be able to help you, being that we live in the same area ;)

Hmm... i might make another vid in Tsukuba with my RX-8....

but now i have to go to style.... whiches harder.... :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back