OK, I've had enough.aka"DA throws down the Gauntlet"

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 199 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Der Alta
True, but this is more than a drift challenge, this is a challenge of ability. I want to see eveyone here bring it to the next level. A Drifting showcase of that talent the Members of GTP drifting has.

I suppose I should show an example.

This Video is about 95% there in what I'm expecting. AWD projectBLACK. The only miss was on the Choreography and synching of the music (even there, he was 85% on target). But everything else was right on the money.

I have a large range of musical tastes, so the only way that would matter is if it completely misses the mark in synching with drifts. The Drifting is the content. The editing, the music and the lighting are secondary.

I know this is getting complicated, and I don't want it to. A simple challenge to showcase the abilities present here. I'll narrow the choices down at the end, but ultimately, all of you get to pick the winner. Not me. And if you're worried that I'll pick favorites, you don't have to. I'm certain that the videos presented will be shown here after the winners are picked.

Rest assured, I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone else here.

AO

hey! isn't that my vid?

alright i gotcha AO 👍

Excellent, hopefully now, I'll too be able to see what the Drift section is really about.

Oh snap, I'm juiced for this one! My next video has been postponed for this.... just have to figure out which car I wanna use.

Yeah I know EXACTLY what DA is saying:tup: If you can't really drift well, you should make it up with editing cause now it's not really about your drifting technique (not that MUCH at least), but more like DA said: "WOAHW" and that can be accomplished thrue various things, editing and drifting. So just do what your good at, and do it at your best:sly:👍

The only thing I don't really get is Tsukuba Circuit, you can't really do anything special with that circuit but just standard drifting:indiff: It's not like Apricot Hill for example, where it's a challenge to link the first and second corner, or El Capitan where you've got that LLOONGG turn that's prety challenging to some people (me, but I can pull it of sometimes) and El Capitan just has a "WOAHW" factor much easier just because of the looks of the track. But then Tsukuba is just a matter of ending or not ending up in the grass:indiff: It's such a basic circuit that really limits your potential:tdown:

The general idea of this is pretty good though:)

I feel like I should mention to everyone who keeps insisting that drifting should be the only measurement for the videos.

AO said this was a Drifting Video Contest, not a Drifting Contest. Notice the word Video. Meaning that is part of what's being judged. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I would also LOVE to see a clean lap drifting comp, but he clearly specified that this competition was based on the videos, and part of the videos is the content (being drifting), so it's still part of it, but we've seen plenty of good drift videos set to no music, or not synced at all, so this competition is all about stirring up some creativity, along with promoting good drift technique. In my opinion, the next contest (if AO gets money :crazy: ) should definitely be clean, uncut laps with no music (I wanna hear engines!) and no editting.

I think this competition is needed though, hopefully we can set a new benchmark for drift videos for the future. It's already been a month since GT4 came out right? Most of you guys out there have had a month's worth of drift practice at this point, which means it's time to focus on the quality of drift videos coming out, not just the drifts. Once we've established a good library of amazing videos made by the members of this forum, we can start working on technique again. But we need some good quality examples for New Members to measure their videos against.

Anyway, that's just my opinion (hey, that's what forums are for, right? :crazy: )

MdnIte
TRi wins in the editing department. :P :lol:

LOL! Yip, he is quite skilled... having top of the range edting software is an advantage, but if you don;t know how to use it... well...

Also, one can produce amazing vids with ordinary editing software - it's all about imagination and level of creativity.... Even windows Movie Maker can produce some good vids... Actually, 85% of my vids were done using WMM...

G-T-4-Fan
The only thing I don't really get is Tsukuba Circuit, you can't really do anything special with that circuit but just standard drifting:indiff: It's not like Apricot Hill for example, where it's a challenge to link the first and second corner, or El Capitan where you've got that LLOONGG turn that's prety challenging to some people (me, but I can pull it of sometimes) and El Capitan just has a "WOAHW" factor much easier just because of the looks of the track. But then Tsukuba is just a matter of ending or not ending up in the grass:indiff: It's such a basic circuit that really limits your potential:tdown:

I think it's a good course for the first comp though, because it's the first or second most popular among the members of this forum, there aren't many elevation changes, and there's a variety of different corner speeds.

I still hate that course though :lol:

burnout060
I think it's a good course for the first comp though, because it's the first or second most popular among the members of this forum, there aren't many elevation changes, and there's a variety of different corner speeds.

I still hate that course though :lol:

Yeah well, I think the reason that it's so popular among other people, is the same reason that makes me hate that course REALLY bad:tdown: You can't even link TWO corners in that stupid circuit:grumpy: I like Grand Valley, Apricot Hill, El Capitan, Seattle (for some weard reason) so now I think you all know what makes me like a course, and so what makes me don't like a course. And now I say it much clearer: the course is unchallenging:tdown:

Catch-my-Drift?
LOL! Yip, he is quite skilled... having top of the range edting software is an advantage, but if you don;t know how to use it... well...

Also, one can produce amazing vids with ordinary editing software - it's all about imagination and level of creativity.... Even windows Movie Maker can produce some good vids... Actually, 85% of my vids were done using WMM...
thank you sir, it helps that its in my line of profession...

it really does all boil down to 2 things... creativity and execution. you can have the coolest idea, but if ya can't put it together, it flops. you can have all the knowledge in the world and but if it's plain, flop again.

looking forward to seeing the standard being pushed and the community evolving!

i wanna see people link the the S curve after the first turn :) d1 style :)

here, lol#

tsukuba8hx.gif

i can do that, it helps to get round that hairpin.

unfortantly i need more help than that :lol:. But im working on it 👍

G-T-4-Fan
...Seattle (for some weard reason)...

thats always been a favorite of mine :D well my first video might as well be for the contest. except i pretty much cant hold the drifts all the way through the hairpins so maybe ill just look like an idiot :dopey: time to get practicin! 👍

Some thoughts Der Alta

First off.. What are the judging criteria? What is the order of importance for the criteria?

Video.. I'm sure clever editing could skew the end result. Why not require the replay to be submitted in the standard replay view and also a hood or overhead view?

Music?? It's way to disagree with someone's taste in music, I suggest No music. If music is allowed, it should be turned off for judging.

Finally.. Don't be offended by this, but, who are you? Are you an acomplished drifter yourself? What qualifies you to judge a drifting competition and select a final 3?

d3p0
Finally.. Don't be offended by this, but, who are you? Are you an acomplished drifter yourself? What qualifies you to judge a drifting competition and select a final 3?

His qualifications are:

1. Being an admin
2. Paying for the prize

d3p0
Some thoughts Der Alta

First off.. What are the judging criteria? What is the order of importance for the criteria?

Video.. I'm sure clever editing could skew the end result. Why not require the replay to be submitted in the standard replay view and also a hood or overhead view?

Music?? It's way to disagree with someone's taste in music, I suggest No music. If music is allowed, it should be turned off for judging.

I've already laid a loose description of the judging criteria out. Please read the whole thread.

Yes, Clever editing (AKA good editing) could skew the results, that's part of the competition. Yes, it's easy to disagree with someones music tastes. But considering I listen to everything from Irish Drinking music, to Handel, to Slipkknot, to Iron maiden, to Jimmy Buffet, that shouldn't be a problem. And unless it's done seriously bad, the music could only enhance the video.

Who am I? Well, no I'm not an accomplished drifter. In fact, I'm not even a drifter. What I know of drifting, I've learned from GTPlanet. Absolutely nothing qualifies me to judge a drift competition. Other than being an Administrator on this site that wants GTP to be known as the place to find info about drifting. Oh, and I'm the guy ponying up the cash for the prize.

If you don't like the rules, I'm setting forth for the competition to improve this site, don't compete. it's that easy.

The driving force behind this competition is showing everyone else that the drifters on GTplanet (that includes you) are the top of the heap and when it comes to setting the bar, this is the place to see it.

[edit: Nuts, burnout tree'd me]

AO

I'm fine with all of that as long as you recognize that this contest isn't about finding the best drifter, but instead, improving the site.

apexd1fd3s
I agree :) this is the best drifting section on Tsukuba!

I started practicing Tsukuba for the first time today, and I can do that section just wonderfully, accept I can't seem to maintain momentum for a stylish exit at the end of the hairpin, I'm usually exiting that corner at, like, 30 mph :scared:

Not good. I'm gonna have to work on this track a LOT to even think of making a decent video :ouch:

burnout060
I started practicing Tsukuba for the first time today, and I can do that section just wonderfully, accept I can't seem to maintain momentum for a stylish exit at the end of the hairpin, I'm usually exiting that corner at, like, 30 mph :scared:

Not good. I'm gonna have to work on this track a LOT to even think of making a decent video :ouch:

Make sure you get enough speed after the first corner. Be aggressive when handling the S-turn, feint as much as possible so your traction remains loose, and you will have enough weight to carry you when you reach the last corner after the S turn. Like me, you may understeer at the last corner when trying to keep up with the momentum after the aggressive approach. Just be smooth about it, and you'll pull through just fine. Keep practicing, bro. no one said it was easy 👍

d3p0
I'm fine with all of that as long as you recognize that this contest isn't about finding the best drifter, but instead, improving the site.
And I quote (from the second paragraph of the very first post)

In GT3 there were a slew of excellent videos. So many members that could put together a fantastic video and really showcase the skills apparent here. I haven't seen that from the GT4 forum yet. In fact, I've seen many don't even come up to par. And I know that you can do it

I assume you can read, but apparently missed the comprehension portion.

On better notes...

I'm quite enthralled that there is this much interest. I may need more than a weekend, and possibly some extra help to review and critique all these threads.

Maybe I should add an extra incentive... The worst video submitted gets that member banned :D

(Just kidding) maybe....

Looking forward to this.

AO

well, ive just found out i have a copy of windows movie maker on my computer (after searching for the damn shortcut). So im defiently in.

I hope im not the worst, id like to stick around for a while yet :scared:.

Der Alta if your gonna hold another competition after this one, Consider deep forest as a track, as its turns are very nice and you can link 3 or more corners together.

Tsukabar needs 100% skill to get them damn hairpins nailed perfect, good track to get your skills up high.

rickjames
i can take that s turn one sided some how and level out and still have balance to go threw the u turn weird

That's one heck of a run-on sentence there bud. Could you please clarify? Thanks.

I finally saw the AWDprojectBLACK vid. as the example of quality a vid. must have and what kind of impression it should make, I just got +30,- making a big step towards the capture card, so I don't know if I'm on time but........I will DEFINATLY be in the competition, because I'm REALLY >planning< on a wonderfull opening vid. of me. But I'm planning to, and I will put all the time in it I need and can, so I don't think the time limit is gonna work for me, but for the next challenge I'm DEFINATLY READY:D

Now I hope I don't get hold up somehow because of editing problems for example:indiff:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back