Opel GT concept - 144hp, less then 1,000kg , RWD

  • Thread starter Thread starter RocZX
  • 101 comments
  • 11,593 views

RocZX

Premium
Messages
8,849
United States
New York




2016-opel-gt-concept-1.jpg


2016-opel-gt-concept.jpg
 
Those exsaust pipes already don't fill me with confidence...
 
It's not GT unless it's RWD and under 3000lbs.
 
I say that the car looks promising. Though I'll have massive expectations of it since the Opel Speedster is my favourite car in existence :P
 
I wonder if it will come to Vauxhall in the UK? The first Speedster did but the GT after it didn't. Vauxhall's design language of late has been real hit and miss, especially on the models taking design cues from the Adam.
 
I wonder if it will come to Vauxhall in the UK? The first Speedster did but the GT after it didn't. Vauxhall's design language of late has been real hit and miss, especially on the models taking design cues from the Adam.

I doubt it as the market probably isn't there. Unless there is a lot of demand for a Calibra replacement, this will probably just be a 2-door preview for the styling of the next Insignia.
 
So, is it a tweaked treatment of the Buick Avista concept?
 
I never liked the original Opel GT. Old Cars like that don't appeal to me.

My favourite Opel GT is the one that came after the Opel Speedster, while I don't think it is better than the Speedster, I still like it a lot.
 
Look at the original Opel GT. That thing was around 2000lbs. Also, under 3k would pit it directly against BRZ and Miata, which are pretty much the milestones for future RWD compacts.

If GM decided to make something using that concept for Opel and Vauxhall, I'd lose my mind.
 
Look at the original Opel GT. That thing was around 2000lbs. Also, under 3k would pit it directly against BRZ and Miata, which are pretty much the milestones for future RWD compacts.
Very good point. For whatever reason, the original escaped me. Brain fart perhaps. :lol:
 
So what's the market for this?
Depends of the drivetrain, I think. If GM is smart enough to make it RWD, it'll be in the small sports coupe/roadster segment, which currently is owned by BRZ and Miata/MX-5. They could then bring it to US as spiritual successor to the 130R concept.
 
Depends of the drivetrain, I think. If GM is smart enough to make it RWD, it'll be in the small sports coupe/roadster segment, which currently is owned by BRZ and Miata/MX-5. They could then bring it to US as spiritual successor to the 130R concept.

Judging by the size of the Avista concept that the GT is likely to be based on, I doubt it'll be competing with the likes of the GT86/Miata competition.

Buick-AVista-13.jpg
 
Judging by the size of the Avista concept that the GT is likely to be based on, I doubt it'll be competing with the likes of the GT86/Miata competition.

It isn't as big as it looks in pictures, honestly. It is about as tidy as the new Camaro, perhaps a little bit wider in concept form due to the flared wheel wells and so on. I'd consider it a good size for Buick to go with if it ever made production, and I think it'd slot into an interesting end of the market in Europe if it were made. A slightly more luxurious sports coupe compared to the BRZ, but still relatively affordable, would be a nice competitor for the Mustang. Of course, why not offer the Camaro is my first thought... But, maybe, this is the better way to go.
 
Whatever happened to Opel and the Tigra segment?

Unreliability happened. The first Tigra was a chopped Corsa B, with 2 of the most unreliable engines Opel ever build. The X14XE and X16XE. They had so many ridiculous auxiliaries build onto them to get them working properly and acceptable.
The Corsa B was known to rust, the Tigra took it one step further.

And the Twintop was a Meriva/Corsa C. That was a time where Opel basically should have been stopped from existing. Pretty much every smallish engine from that period suffers from horrible cold start rattling due to shoddy oil pumps, lousy bearings and just poor, poor performance in every way.
 
Unreliability happened. The first Tigra was a chopped Corsa B, with 2 of the most unreliable engines Opel ever build. The X14XE and X16XE. They had so many ridiculous auxiliaries build onto them to get them working properly and acceptable.
The Corsa B was known to rust, the Tigra took it one step further.

And the Twintop was a Meriva/Corsa C. That was a time where Opel basically should have been stopped from existing. Pretty much every smallish engine from that period suffers from horrible cold start rattling due to shoddy oil pumps, lousy bearings and just poor, poor performance in every way.

I once worked on a Mk2 Tigra with a dodgy part of the roof mechanism that meant the boot wouldn't open when I was doing work experience.

I hated it.
 
I once worked on a Mk2 Tigra with a dodgy part of the roof mechanism that meant the boot wouldn't open when I was doing work experience.

I hated it.

I once worked with a guy who thought it was smart to push down hard on a Tigra roof that didn't fully folded into the boot.

Result was a replacement roof. :lol:
 
That's really it? wow.
 
Retro~ish.

Looks good but I doubt it will see life.
 
Taking away the silly red tyres and side stripe, and invisible side windows (which must be illegal in plenty of countries) - it's got a nice shape to it. Whether anything will come of it is a different matter.
 
Back