Opening/Closing the roof in cabrio/convertible cars?

• Thread starter Chaz_
  • 146 comments
xCh4rL13x
I was racing against a miata and I started to wonder that because it's a convertible is there any way u can put the top down?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I've seen a few with their tops down in the showrooms, but otherwise, I haven't been able to. I've never seen my '69 Corvette with its top down, even in the showroom and in photo travel for which there is no option.

I know for sure of 2 cars that when you drive them on track the hoods are down...Ferrari california and on old Shelby Cobra. I won these last night and noticed when I tested them they have the hoods down...the Ferrari is just soooo dam sexy driving along topless 👍
Ah I just realised the Shelby has no roof so It's permanently topless when your driving it.

I'll check out more of my Cabriolet cars later but I suspect only the premium cars will have hoods down when your driving them.

The Cappuccino has the top down in the showroom but I've only driven it with the top up. No way of lowering it...

Haven't found any way to raise or lower roofs, which kinda sucks, although it would end up hurting your performance in most cars.

The Ferrari California has its top down - unless you put a rear spoiler on it, in which case the metal roof goes up (which actually makes the car even better looking in my opinion).

Edit: Looks like littlesthobo already mentioned the California.

We need a cabriolet car club :) I remember the first time I played a driving game where you could drive the cars with there roofs down.....Dreamcast Metropolis Street Racer 👍

It's great to see at least some cars in GT5 you can drive topless...I remember when I had my old XR3 Cabrio I drove it with the hood down in all weathers lol.

can anyone confirm that soft tops cant be retracted for driving? it could be done in gt4 and i cant find any option to have the roof up or down..but i have a little bit of hope that my s2000 will be drivable with the roof down..
cheers!

Is there any particular reason why the roadster and cappucino and similar cars don't have an open top on the track? When it wasn't an option in prologue I thought it was due to memory limitations because of the driver's movements, but he moves his arms and legs anyway.

It'd be nice if they could do this.

But it handles the shelby cobra, Art Morrison Corvette and the Formula One cars. Surely a few more convertibles won't hurt the flimsy black box.

I haven't played GT5 but in GT4, convertible cars are subjected to top-on for races and only top down for TT. The few exceptions are the cars you've mentioned: Cobra, Caterham and F1 cars because they are not really convertibles but open top cars.

PS3 is already pushed to its limits. It has nearly no more memory to deal with this.
It should make little difference for any premium car, with interior and driver already proudly modeled. And as mykem pointed out, it was an option in GT4 (albeit in a frustratingly limited way).

Besides, the blame for the PS3 not being able to handle it lies with PD, not Sony. It's not Sony's fault that PD programmed the game to use too much processing power on other things to handle this sort of feature (if that's even the cause). Decent physics don't take a terribly huge amount of processing to produce, either (see the low system req's for Live for Speed), so it's probably just a fault of the graphics engine.

The "such-and-such system is pushed to its limits and can't handle anymore" excuse is a tired one. It's all about management of existing resources, not the need for more.

It should make little difference for any premium car, with interior and driver already proudly modeled. And as mykem pointed out, it was an option in GT4 (albeit in a frustratingly limited way).

Besides, the blame for the PS3 not being able to handle it lies with PD, not Sony. It's not Sony's fault that PD programmed the game to use too much processing power on other things to handle this sort of feature (if that's even the cause). Decent physics don't take a terribly huge amount of processing to produce, either (see the low system req's for Live for Speed), so it's probably just a fault of the graphics engine.

The "such-and-such system is pushed to its limits and can't handle anymore" excuse is a tired one. It's all about management of existing resources, not the need for more.

This.

Also I doubt that the GT5 has reached the limits. It may have, but that doesn't mean that the code can't still be optimized.

The developers of Uncharted 2, arguably one of the best looking games, said that they managed to keep the processors of the cell chip some 90% occupied, but went on and said that they didn't focus on optimizing it, but rather have it atleast do -something-.

Hi everyone,

Anybody knows where is the option or something to close/open the roof un cabrio/convertible cars?

I remember that I was able to do this in GT4, but I don't see anywhere now this option in GT5 :nervous:

Thank you 👍

On my controller, I have it set where L3 beeps my horn, R3 activates my windshield wipers and R4 opens and closes my top.

Never mind...they must have patched it. I guess now, for certain cars...you can only have the top down in Photo mode.

Never mind...they must have patched it. I guess now, for certain cars...you can only have the top down in Photo mode.

Then you should probably edit your original post.

OT: I just took my MX-5 to Photomode, there was NO option in the Vehicle Options to raise/lower the roof (just the usual lights, steering options).

The roof is therefore UP for races/menus, DOWN in Photomode. Odd!

On the convertibles --- well thats just part of the GT series. Kind of dumb you can never lower your top during a race, even in a premium Miata.

And the convertibles are a bit odd in photo mode. I believe the Miata's top is down in photo travel, but the Corvette's is always up no matter what.

On the convertibles --- well thats just part of the GT series. Kind of dumb you can never lower your top during a race, even in a premium Miata.

Having the top down is horrible for your car's aerodynamic slipperiness. You would never race with a top down.

Back