Opening/Closing the roof in cabrio/convertible cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chaz_
  • 146 comments
  • 53,793 views
Only on Forza they do useless stuff like opening doors and roofs...
 
You would never race with a top down.

Well crap. I guess I have to throw away my Cobras...

But seriously, I'd love to have a Cobra with a roof. But it doesn't happen to be in the game. Maybe DLC... sigh...
 
I'm certain the answer to this question is "PD haven't included this because then they'd have to animate the roof opening and closing". This is a PITA to animate when your speciality is cars with fixed models. I'm not counting movable air-brakes because they are very simple animations.
 
I wish there was an option for this. the ferrari california looks way better with the top up
 
I wish there was an option for this. the ferrari california looks way better with the top up

What ! Ferrari Californa looks really better with the top down !!
love this car !
 
I wonder why nearly all premium convertibles are closed in races.
 
Well crap. I guess I have to throw away my Cobras...

But seriously, I'd love to have a Cobra with a roof. But it doesn't happen to be in the game. Maybe DLC... sigh...

You can buy the AC Cobra (standard car/ roof up/ British) instead of the Shelby Cobra (premium/ top down/ American).
 
I wondered why the Ferrari california went to a Nurburgring rainy race with the top down...
 
Honestly won't even drive the California since the top is down.
 
The California is a horrible excuse for a Ferrari. I won one of them so I have it in my garage but I'll probably sell it b/c I don't see any use for it.
 
I wish there was an option for this. the ferrari california looks way better with the top up

Put a spoiler on the rear and the California's roof suddenly appears!! It will stay up permanently.

It looks so much better with the roof up, but it's a bit of a double edged sword as the rear spoiler doesn't really suit it.

But I left mine on, resprayed it in ''flip'' paint, lowered and tuned, it hasn't turned out to bad at all.

However, the purists would have me hung, drawn and quartered in an instant if they saw it.

But hey, it's my car, my game and my money and I love it, it looks great and drives even better.
 
how do u make the convertibles top down during a race? ive searched and only ferrari california seems to be the only one that does it automatically.

anything on this? ive searched but didnt find anything.
 
Totally need to add a wing option that just makes the roof appear.
I'd pay for that:tup:
 
The California is a horrible excuse for a Ferrari. I won one of them so I have it in my garage but I'll probably sell it b/c I don't see any use for it.

Have you even driven it? Or making a wild stupid comment? Because to have driven it with a wheel and say it's a horrible excuse for a ferrari is just ignorant.
The only thing not Ferrari about it is that it's not red when it's gifted to you, it's feels and sounds just like a ferrari when you drive.
Drive it stock, just likes to kick the tail a little,but not much it really is great fun. ( I thought it'd be poo's aswell )
 
In the Apex book that came with my collector's edition there is a photograph of the Mercedes SLS with the gullwing doors in the open position. For those that has the book it's on page 182, in the chapter about photomode.

Too bad that you can not do things like this in the game even though the book hints at the possibility of opening doors... Imagine being able to open the hood of the SLS or the Transcammer for that sake. 👍
 
The California is a horrible excuse for a Ferrari. I won one of them so I have it in my garage but I'll probably sell it b/c I don't see any use for it.

What do you mean Ferrari California is an epic car, it is a hark back to the old GT's Ferrari used to make. They could have made it prettier i admit, but it is still a true Ferrari.
 
I wish there was an option for this. the ferrari california looks way better with the top up

I agree - Stick a rear wing on in GT Auto and it magically gets a hard top, but then you have the rear wing :/
 
Why can't they all be themselves? The California and Cobra are the only ones I know of that have the top down. I wish I could drive a Miata that way, too. Why, oh, why can't we choose which way we want to have it before/during a race? I know some cars take days to do it but it's a game and I don't get why they left the convertibles that way. Like some, the Miata, will be in the Showroom with no top and it just makes me angry. It makes me feel un-special.

Anybody have a clue why no feature is there for that? Even if it isn't important to you.

Edit
Damn it. I keep forgetting there's more cars with no tops during races. There should be a function to do it and don't see why it isn't there.
 
Last edited:
The Cobra has no top unless I'm mistaken. As for why convertibles can't have the top down not a clue. Wild guess, but maybe some sort of weird licensing problems, they're often the cause of such things.
 
In the real world, top down is slower because it'll increase drag. That said...I'd like the option to drop the top.
 
Maybe because of the different airo a car has with/without top. Either they were to lazy to make two airo models for one car or they thought: hey top down makes a car always slower, so there is no such option because no one would race with it that way. (that's just a guess, don't know if top up/down would make a car slower or change the airo of the car)
 
Try and paint the California and you'll see what will happen...
 
The Cobra has no top unless I'm mistaken. As for why convertibles can't have the top down not a clue. Wild guess, but maybe some sort of weird licensing problems, they're often the cause of such things.

Yea it doesn't. I'm really off today.


In the real world, top down is slower because it'll increase drag. That said...I'd like the option to drop the top.
yea
hopefully it isn't the fact that you have to do aerodynamics testing for both top up/down. ONLY considering the fact that there are so many damn duplicates.

Try and paint the California and you'll see what will happen...
well I know you can MAKE IT stay up. I want it down though.
 
I thought the top on my California went up when I installed the aero kit rear wing. I did not try to uninstall it to see if the roof would go back down. It was fun watching the replays going over 180mph with the top down though.
 
I thought the top on my California went up when I installed the aero kit rear wing. I did not try to uninstall it to see if the roof would go back down. It was fun watching the replays going over 180mph with the top down though.

In this case, I think putting the top up was part of the aero kit, to reduce drag.

Also, I believe certain GT4 convertibles had a roof up/down option for a race.
 
Agree but why is the California top down?

That...I don't know. Maybe a condition set by Ferrari? Honestly, I'd like the option to both open the convertible top AND install a hard top (if desired) on cars that only have soft tops.
 
When I raced with the California, the roof is always down, until I add a spoiler, then the roof is always up.
 
Having the top down is horrible for your car's aerodynamic slipperiness. You would never race with a top down.

My dad raced an 1958 Alfa Romeo Julietta Spyder Veloce Convertible back when it was new ;)

He raced with the top off. It saved weight. Top speeds were between 110 and 130 mph depending on the length of the straight. There is a tonneau cover that kept the air from circulating in the cockpit.
 
Back