Opening/Closing the roof in cabrio/convertible cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chaz_
  • 146 comments
  • 53,796 views
I definitely have to agree with this, in my opinion, the S2000 looks like crap with the soft top up, I would love to see soft top to hard top conversions as well.
 
They should add the option for top up/down, like in GT4. :)
 
This doesn't really help on gameplay, though it would be a nice feature. The ferrari california looks so sexy with the top up but I've never had it that way due to the need of putting that ugly huge wing. It's much to ask, but it could be a great way to test the aerodynamic capabilities of open top cars as well. GT4 had many opened tops, and only a couple made it to GT5.

I think they should add the option in the section were you select the assists before the race. It's so wierd to drive the California in rain with the top down.
 
The '89 Miata has the too down in the dealer too :( I would use it in the 4 hours if it actually was.
 
But it is for your own good as obviously convertibles have a higher drag coefficient hindering performance.

This is another burning curiosity of mine: Does GT5 factor in air drag? Apart from jacking the spoiler up I mean, will an otherwise identical aerodynamically styled car go faster, be more fuel efficent than one with a brick-nose and huge gawdy scoops? It's a pretty important part of car physics.
 
I agree, I want an option like that as well.
 
The Shelby Cobra also is also a top-down car.
It's bright red floor illuminates in the sunshine.
 
I wish there was just a simple button to put it up or down on premium cars. It is nice to see them with their tops down but looks silly in situations like this:
EigerNordwandShortTrack_20.jpg
 
Take your convertible to Toscana create-a-course at sunset. It is so beautiful!!!!:o
 
there is not that many Premium convertible that cannot be driven with the top down.
BMW Z3
TVR Tamora
Telsa Roadster
Honda S2000
Mazda Miata, although it is a convertible in the TC version
Lotus Elise
Mercedes SL55

So 6 or 7 cars, if we count the Mazda.
It is not a lot of cars, and it would be great to have the option. Can I hear DLC?

Although the one without top cannot be driven with the top up
Shelby Cobra
Art Morrison Corvette
Jaguar XJ13

So overall about 10 cars, that it would be fun to drive with or without top.
 
Last edited:
I want the top down in all the cars, but especially the SL 55. There is no way to control it though.

Same here. The SL55 AMG looks so incredibly beautiful in the car showroom with the top down.

I remember in GT4, you're allowed to drive with the tops down in free run, 2P, and in GT mode (if you're rivaling against just one car). It was nice to see the driver rotating the wheel at 900 degrees :)

I thought I was one of the few people that always wanted this feature to be in GT5. Hopefully if there will be another patch they can tweak the convertible cars to have louder wind sound effects since the car tops are down.

Watching the replays with the Ferrari California with the top down in time trial looks like a commercial advertisement. 👍

Thanks for creating this thread :)
 
Last edited:
There's plenty of buttons since you can re-map them. If you use a wheel you also end up with lots of redundant buttons on the controller. It's much more likely due to "not worth the effort to make work correctly" reasons. A shame really, but it also probably really isn't worth the effort, at least to make it look correct doing it on the fly. And then you'd have people complaining about how fake it is to be able to put the top up or down at 180mph. And there's the question of removable tops versus retractable tops...

No, I was thinking more of the idea where you can hold a button down when you're about to spawn on the race track which will determine if the top is down or not. And plus doing it on the fly would only work with convertibles that have moving roofs. If you try it with a soft top, it wouldn't look right (unless of course your GT5 driver is James Bond and can get it up while the car is still moving :nervous: ).
 
I agree, it'd be pretty cool if we had a button or at least an option in the pause menu to put the roof up or down, like MCLA has. I suppose if they put the option in the actual options menu in the pause menu, you wouldn't really have the problem of putting a top up or down at 180mph, because online when you pause, your car doesn't, and just slows down instead. Obviously in offline racing you'd be too busy to play around with the roof anyway.
 
I agree, it'd be pretty cool if we had a button or at least an option in the pause menu to put the roof up or down, like MCLA has. I suppose if they put the option in the actual options menu in the pause menu, you wouldn't really have the problem of putting a top up or down at 180mph, because online when you pause, your car doesn't, and just slows down instead. Obviously in offline racing you'd be too busy to play around with the roof anyway.

Under what circumstances would you suddenly change your mind in the middle of a race at 390 km/h (I use km/h) that you wanted to put the top of your convertible down/up?
 
In GT4, Arcade Mode, if you were doing a Time Trial or Free practice, you had the option to have Hood Down or Up, There wasnt a option in GTmode though. Its probably a demo intended function on Arcade mode. Its nice, the driver animation in GT4 was superb, Its better than in GT5 because you see hes leg depress the clutch and acclerator and brake, TT had very good rider animation aswell, GT5 look robotic.
 
Under what circumstances would you suddenly change your mind in the middle of a race at 390 km/h (I use km/h) that you wanted to put the top of your convertible down/up?

I don't know, why would you? I was talking about free roam, obviously you wouldn't do it in a race. You don't start changing the brightness or HUD half way through a race, do you?
 
👍 ^^ I didn't read that before I posted

Under what circumstances would you suddenly change your mind in the middle of a race at 390 km/h (I use km/h) that you wanted to put the top of your convertible down/up?

that's not what he meant, but during free run someone might want to. I doubt it'll be implemented in a way to change it when you're car is driving on the track.
 
👍 ^^ I didn't read that before I posted



that's not what he meant, but during free run someone might want to. I doubt it'll be implemented in a way to change it when you're car is driving on the track.

Which is why I said there should be a button which you press and hold when you're about to spawn on the track which will make the top of your convertible go down. If you don't press anything the top will remain up.
 
This is another burning curiosity of mine: Does GT5 factor in air drag? Apart from jacking the spoiler up I mean, will an otherwise identical aerodynamically styled car go faster, be more fuel efficent than one with a brick-nose and huge gawdy scoops? It's a pretty important part of car physics.

Depends on what's affecting the aerodynamics. If it's something like a spoiler on the back of a car, then yes. But something like the pop-up headlamps on a Ferrari F40 don't affect aerodynamics, I believe.
 
Which is why I said there should be a button which you press and hold when you're about to spawn on the track which will make the top of your convertible go down. If you don't press anything the top will remain up.

too elaborate


having a simple yes/no or up/down in the tuning settings where the Aero. parts and weight reduction shows would be good
 
Is it possible to remove the car's hood?

Like lot's of ferrari's are convertibles and the Lamborghini aventador is a convertible too.

It would make me kind of happy :P hihi.

Or could they just update it??
 
nope

only certain cars have their roofs down in photomode
and even fewer roll with their roof down like the ferrari california

but there should be a thread about this somewhere
 
No, cause it would make quite a big difference. If you look closely, models used in Photo Travel and in races are different. In race replay, try to look through the window into the interior and look how bad it is. And for example, premium Jag XKR in race has some stupid bug covering part of exhaust pipes. In Photo Travel it's ok.

So with open tops car would need to have high quality interiors for all cars during the race, which would eat more resources. And remember that GT5 already has a lot of tearing and slowdowns.
 
The Lamborghini Aventador isn't a convertible.

Fixed :)

A simple pop-up before setting off, for the roof setting would be nice, it's really annoying how cars appear in the NCD with the top down and then drive with the roof up :confused:.
 
Fixed :)

A simple pop-up before setting off, for the roof setting would be nice, it's really annoying how cars appear in the NCD with the top down and then drive with the roof up :confused:.

agreed
 
Back