Overrated

  • Thread starter Thread starter Talentless
  • 36 comments
  • 1,772 views

Talentless

Yes, I am still alive.
Staff Emeritus
Messages
10,081
Messages
WFG9
List movies, etc., that you think are overrated.

I'll name one for now.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
 
I would have to say the most overrated is:

Movie - Titanic
TV Show - Friends

As for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that is one of my all time favorite movies. It's at its best when sub-titled though. I do not like voice overs on any of my movies.
 
Originally posted by Rumple Foreskin
IAs for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that is one of my all time favorite movies. It's at its best when sub-titled though. I do not like voice overs on any of my movies.

I agree - I detest dubbing. I love that film - ultimately, it's about people beating each other, but with properly fleshed out and motivated characters. Doesn't take a lot to make a film more enjoyable.

Movie - Forrest Gump. I don't get why people love that film. I must confess I enjoyed it when I saw it initially, but once I saw it again as this cynically produced, revoltingly self-indulgently reminscence piece, which missed the whole piss-take angle of the book (and left out some of the funniest sequences and some the great running gags).

TV - Other than The Simpsons and Futurama, I really don't compulsively watch any other TV series, so probably not the one to judge. My contribution would any 'reality' type TV show.
 
Any CSI show is way overrated. Since when is forensic science cool?

As for movies, I think the Star Wars movies are all overrated.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the **** to come about that one.
 
oh yea titanic for sure.

some of these aren't bad, but I still think they're overrated

Movies
----------------------------------------
Moulin Rouge (<- god awful)
The English Patient
Emma
Star Wars episodes I and II
Independence Day
Charlie's Angels
The Ring
Fast and Furious
Citizen Cain
Lawrence of Arabia (1st half is good)
Shakespeare in Love
Casablanca
The Sound of Music
Pulp Fiction (<- grrr)
Godsford Park
Blazing Saddles
Snatch
Training Day
Traffic
Planet of the Ages (remake)
Kill Bill
Blair Witch Project
Army of Darkness
Two Week's Notice
White Men Can't Jump
XXX
Die Another Day
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Charade
The Lion King


TV Shows
------------------------------
OC
Will and Grace
Buffy
ER, Chicago Hope
Cops
The Practice, LA Law
CSI
Boston Public
90210, Melrose Place



There are more, but they're not coming to me quickly.
 
I agree with the blare witch project... That movie blew. I'll also agree with most of the movies listed. But i'd also like to add a movie to that list :)

House of 1000 corpses. That movie was terrible, not worth the money I paid to see it. I also heard 28 days later was supposed to be the best movie, but I didn't find it all that great.
 
Originally posted by OmicroN
I agree with the blare witch project... That movie blew. I'll also agree with most of the movies listed. But i'd also like to add a movie to that list :)

House of 1000 corpses. That movie was terrible, not worth the money I paid to see it. I also heard 28 days later was supposed to be the best movie, but I didn't find it all that great.

Yea, House of 1000 corpses blew donkeys. Everybody I talked to made it out to big some big scary movie that would freak you out. When I actually saw it, I was severely dissapointed.
 
Originally posted by SublimeDood10
As for movies, I think the Star Wars movies are all overrated.

Well I agree with you on that.

My dad loves them, so I just sit with him and criticise through the whole film.

To add to the list, i'll say Matrix reloaded.

I liked it, but it just seemed lacking.
 
I stand by my pick of C. T., H. D. It had ok acting with the primary factors being good scenary and better than usual choreography. The amazement with which some saw in the flying sequences seems to be partly due to an ignorance of the movies Michelle Yeoh has been doing for years. Jet Li, though he wasn't in the film (I think), also. The best part of the film were the two main female characters, Yeoh and Ziyi are both beauitul women.

I also agree with Star Wars being overrated. It's like watching Transformers. How the hell do you manage to defelect 99.999% percent of lasers shot at you, and what of laser moves so slow that you can even move in time to dodge it? How do you see it?

I prefer Star Trek, though I'm not into sci fi; it seems more intelligent.
 
Originally posted by KosmikFool
Movie: Fast & The Furious 1/2.

Duh?

AHahaHAhAHAhaHAAH!!! yeah...
for overrated movies: SPIDERMAN!!!!
sorry, but it kinda sucked.
and I also agree on most of those mentioned, with the exception of the first three star wars movies, wich ARE really overrated, but they aint bad... but, they are neither the 8th marvel, as those dangerous pesky star werz geeks claim :scared: :nervous:

Cano
 
lets see.............................
T.V. show.....anything on NBC on thursday
Movie.......anything (besides Gladiator) that won an Oscar for best picture.
 
Originally posted by milefile
Any Tarantino movie. All network TV.

What do you mean by network TV? all cable channels, every single show? TV altogether?

Most Overrated Movie : The HulK

Show: Survivor
 
Overrated Movies: The Gladiator, Chicago, Charlies Angels 1 and 2, and anything with Ben Affleck or Mark Wahlberg (or however you spell his name) starring in it.

Overrated TV shows: CSI, anything on MTV, that stupid Trading Spaces show and all the other shows that copy it, Reality TV shows, and 24 ( I like the show, but it's WAY overrated).


-Mark
 
Whoever said Citizen Cain is overrated should have once head blown off with a showel... You can't let down a movie who's name you can't spell.... (Kane dammit)

Overrated movies....
Too many to list....

Overrated TV shows....
See above....
 
2f2f

aaaand:
Matrix Reloaded...
 
Originally posted by askia47
What do you mean by network TV? all cable channels, every single show? TV altogether?

Most Overrated Movie : The HulK

Show: Survivor

Oh I'm sorry. I'm still using that antiquated term from before your time that means the three major free networks, young'un. Does that clear it up for you? Just to be sure, though, I'll spell it out:

1. ABC (American Broadcasting Company)
2. CBS (Central Broadcasting System)
3. NBC (National Broadcasting Compnay)

Do you want to kill me?
 
OK, sticking on the movies:

Independence Day
Armageddon
Pearl Harbor
Traffic
Spider-Man.
 
Originally posted by milefile
Oh I'm sorry. I'm still using that antiquated term from before your time that means the three major free networks, young'un. Does that clear it up for you? Just to be sure, though, I'll spell it out:

1. ABC (American Broadcasting Company)
2. CBS (Central Broadcasting System)
3. NBC (National Broadcasting Compnay)

Do you want to kill me?

Thanks, and i wont kill you. (this time ;) :lol: )

What about Fox, Upn, and WB?
 
I don't know how high those are rated to begin with, but I can't imagine very high at all. I see the programming advertisements when I watch Simpsons repeats. Truly dispicable.
 
Originally posted by Talentless
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Wow, I thought my wife and I were the only ones.

For lack of a better phrase, It really sucked. If you're going to fight, then fight. Don't fly away. Duh.

My wife and I tried to watch Casablanca; you know, get all romantic and stuff when we were first dating. After 45 minutes, we just bored by it. Sorry, folks.

Jurrasic Park. I've never had a reason to see it again. It was an action movie for children and had nothing amazing short of the in-theater sound and the effects. But Effects Do Not A Movie Make.
 
TV:

The Practice :yuck:
West Wing 2 x :yuck:
Soaps 8 x :yuck:
Just Shoot Me :rolleyes:

Movies:

Big Fat Greek Wedding
Anything with Kevin Spacey after the Usual Suspects
Anything with Afflecktion after GWH


👍 Simpsons
2 x 👍 Futurama
 
Movie - Fast and Furious Series

(crappy acting, stupid mods to nice cars)
 
most over rated movie to me is fight club. if you know the end and then watch its not even possible.
 
The Lion King.

What a piece of crap. I couldn't get past the first ten minutes without rolling my eyes ten times. I got the feeling the producers were attempting to indoctrinate me with "the circle of life". The scary thing is that little kids are actually vulnerable to this. I didn't approve.
 
The matrix and star wars. i hate matrix and like star wars. i just dont think its the prodigy people have made it out to be.
 
I think Charlies angels 2 is overated its full of ****.
Matrix 3 was a little disapointing
Dare devil

as for TV shows
Big brother
Survivor
Friends

just to name a few.
I think the starwars are good. Just depends on your preference
 
Movies:
The Matrix (all 3)
Both Charlies Angels movies
Titanic
Scream series (1-2-3)
Any teen movie, (scream, Cabin Fever, Drumline, Bring it On, etc..)
Any Hollywood production (one liners, plot holes, you get the idea)

I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, as well as The English Patient. So I don't fully understand why someone wouldn't like them, unless you just didn't comprehend Them IMO.

TV:
Any reality show
Friends
MTV
CSI
Touched by an Angel (I really hate this show)

I'll, most likely, come up with some more later.
;)
 
Back