Patch 3.0 Still Buggy :-(

• Thread starter TT92
  • 460 comments
:lol: I really like Nike shoes, I mean REALLY like Nike shoes but I can't say to someone "HA! Your (rival) shoe manufacturer uses possibly dubious ethical practices" when I know my favourite shoe manufacturer possibly does too.

Project CARS wipes the floor with GT6.

Wipes the floor and it's arse until red raw @Spooky Wooky!! Lol!! :P :P :P

for the OP, I've read if you re-install the game after a patch, it should fix your problems. People in the Pcars forum often report problems not being fixed after patches, and usually a re-install helps.

Stiil a mystery to me how you are in season 45 allready ...:confused:

I play on the minimum time setting and once you get through the early stuff I skip all the races I have already done. Also I quite often skip practice and qualifying as well and go straight to race. Starting rear of field makes it interesting ;-)

Also, my theory about why I see so many crashes is because I am so far through the career not too many people have gotten this far and so I am seeing stuff that has not been tested properly.

I play on the minimum time setting and once you get through the early stuff I skip all the races I have already done. Also I quite often skip practice and qualifying as well and go straight to race. Starting rear of field makes it interesting ;-)

Also, my theory about why I see so many crashes is because I am so far through the career not too many people have gotten this far and so I am seeing stuff that has not been tested properly.
Didnt you say earlier that you race at 0% AI ? If you want to trophy hunt thats fine but you should say that when you crap all over the game so people understand were your high tec review is coming from

Project CARS wipes the floor with GT6.
On the understanding that this isn't a PC vs anything else thread, rather a thread pointing out that there's still a whole schooner of bugs in PC, I'm not sure on what aspect PCARS is a better game than any other driving game title you'd care to pick. Except Driveclub. Driveclub is awful.

Again, I'll insert the caveat that I've not tried it with a wheel - I don't have a PS4 wheel yet - but I keep hearing praise for the driving physics. Now that's fine as statements go, but let's go back to the average gamer again... It's not someone with a dedicated driving sim setup in their mancave, it's someone with a console and a controller in their bedroom. I'm not getting anything from driving with a pad that screams "you must go buy a wheel for this" - its just plain bad to drive with a pad, but not in the sense that makes you think a wheel would be better, just in the sense that it's bad. One thing that particularly stands out as odd is that if you contact the back of a car (or vice versa) in the middle of a bend, you both understeer off.

I'm driving with the AI at default setting (50% I think) and, to be kind, they're spanners. They can execute ridiculously aggressive avoiding manouevres in turns of the sort that are impossible in real life (which either suggests that the physics modelling is very odd or that the AI can avoid loss of control unerringly), but they're total numbnuts the rest of the time. There is an extremely odd behaviour they exhibit in crash situations when the way ahead is blocked too - which is only extremely odd in that it's pretty much identical to GT6's AI and GT6's AI is not exactly championed as a perfect example of the breed. They reverse for an unusually long time while swerving violently from side to side, with little regard for what's actually behind them.

Now what this all generates is... an arcade game in feel. The automatons you're up against feel like scripted bots rather than other drivers - and this may be no worse than, say, GT but it's certainly no better - while the driving feels like you're gaming the nuances of a physics system rather than driving a car, which is a lot more like Driveclub (which I got free with the console and even that's too much money for it) than Forza.

I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing - I'm happily ploughing through the career mode (which is a good thing, but could have been so much more) doing a bunch of invitational races while I wait for the superkart season to start up - but there's nothing really grabbing me and screaming about how much better the game is than other offerings, much less compelling me to think about buying a £300 wheel for it.

Sure, the dynamic weather is... dynamic and all (of the 70-ish) the cars have a cockpit camera, but I'd not be that bothered by the absence of either of those things - particularly as weather only serves to change the surface friction and the 'average gamer' already has a pretty floppy driving experience. The tuning menus are nice and detailed, but this is an aspect I doubt that most people will go into that much. It's a good example of something being thought of and included, but not being thought through - it's far too complicated for people who aren't that into vehicle engineering and it'd be a lot better if there was also a simplified series of sliders you could use to grossly adjust car behaviour (say, oversteer and understeer at each side of the slider, and a slider for corner entry, cornering and corner exit; a gearing slider from acceleration to top speed - and so on).

I like some of the track inclusions too - Donington is good, Oulton Park is fine, big fan of Snetterton and it's nice to see what used to be Sears Point/Infineon again. I like that all of the cars are available to drive whenever from the start - as opposed to the 66 from 1,2xx you get in GT6. Oh and I've not tried online yet because I'm not really convinced of the merits of buying some PSN yet, but I'm sure that'll be the usual hit and miss mix of public cluster(bombs) and good private racing. GT6's online stability is a little infamously wobbly, so maybe that's somewhere PCARS improves notably?

Since some of you chaps rate it, I'll wind up the AI settings (on the bright side, you can do this) and wind down the aids away from the default average gamer - but if I were an average gamer, I'd have put it back on the shelf by now. The same's probably true of GT6, but that's still not really an argument for how either is a better game than the other.

But back to the bugs.

I've not had anywhere near the problems that @TT92 describes - just silly, niggly things like my car being beamed onto the grid and bouncing about or the AI creating a traffic jam at Monza short. My bugbear is mainly things that have slipped the QA net, but these aren't bugs per se now I come to think about it.

for the OP, I've read if you re-install the game after a patch, it should fix your problems. People in the Pcars forum often report problems not being fixed after patches, and usually a re-install helps.

To do that in PS4 you have to uninstall the game first and by doing that you lose the patch, unless there is a trick I don't know.

On the understanding that this isn't a PC vs anything else thread, rather a thread pointing out that there's still a whole schooner of bugs in PC, I'm not sure on what aspect PCARS is a better game than any other driving game title you'd care to pick. Except Driveclub. Driveclub is awful.

Again, I'll insert the caveat that I've not tried it with a wheel - I don't have a PS4 wheel yet - but I keep hearing praise for the driving physics. Now that's fine as statements go, but let's go back to the average gamer again... It's not someone with a dedicated driving sim setup in their mancave, it's someone with a console and a controller in their bedroom. I'm not getting anything from driving with a pad that screams "you must go buy a wheel for this" - its just plain bad to drive with a pad, but not in the sense that makes you think a wheel would be better, just in the sense that it's bad. One thing that particularly stands out as odd is that if you contact the back of a car (or vice versa) in the middle of a bend, you both understeer off.

I'm driving with the AI at default setting (50% I think) and, to be kind, they're spanners. They can execute ridiculously aggressive avoiding manouevres in turns of the sort that are impossible in real life (which either suggests that the physics modelling is very odd or that the AI can avoid loss of control unerringly), but they're total numbnuts the rest of the time. There is an extremely odd behaviour they exhibit in crash situations when the way ahead is blocked too - which is only extremely odd in that it's pretty much identical to GT6's AI and GT6's AI is not exactly championed as a perfect example of the breed. They reverse for an unusually long time while swerving violently from side to side, with little regard for what's actually behind them.

Now what this all generates is... an arcade game in feel. The automatons you're up against feel like scripted bots rather than other drivers - and this may be no worse than, say, GT but it's certainly no better - while the driving feels like you're gaming the nuances of a physics system rather than driving a car, which is a lot more like Driveclub (which I got free with the console and even that's too much money for it) than Forza.

I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing - I'm happily ploughing through the career mode (which is a good thing, but could have been so much more) doing a bunch of invitational races while I wait for the superkart season to start up - but there's nothing really grabbing me and screaming about how much better the game is than other offerings, much less compelling me to think about buying a £300 wheel for it.

Sure, the dynamic weather is... dynamic and all (of the 70-ish) the cars have a cockpit camera, but I'd not be that bothered by the absence of either of those things - particularly as weather only serves to change the surface friction and the 'average gamer' already has a pretty floppy driving experience. The tuning menus are nice and detailed, but this is an aspect I doubt that most people will go into that much. It's a good example of something being thought of and included, but not being thought through - it's far too complicated for people who aren't that into vehicle engineering and it'd be a lot better if there was also a simplified series of sliders you could use to grossly adjust car behaviour (say, oversteer and understeer at each side of the slider, and a slider for corner entry, cornering and corner exit; a gearing slider from acceleration to top speed - and so on).

I like some of the track inclusions too - Donington is good, Oulton Park is fine, big fan of Snetterton and it's nice to see what used to be Sears Point/Infineon again. I like that all of the cars are available to drive whenever from the start - as opposed to the 66 from 1,2xx you get in GT6. Oh and I've not tried online yet because I'm not really convinced of the merits of buying some PSN yet, but I'm sure that'll be the usual hit and miss mix of public cluster(bombs) and good private racing. GT6's online stability is a little infamously wobbly, so maybe that's somewhere PCARS improves notably?

Since some of you chaps rate it, I'll wind up the AI settings (on the bright side, you can do this) and wind down the aids away from the default average gamer - but if I were an average gamer, I'd have put it back on the shelf by now. The same's probably true of GT6, but that's still not really an argument for how either is a better game than the other.

But back to the bugs.

I've not had anywhere near the problems that @TT92 describes - just silly, niggly things like my car being beamed onto the grid and bouncing about or the AI creating a traffic jam at Monza short. My bugbear is mainly things that have slipped the QA net, but these aren't bugs per se now I come to think about it.
To fully appreciate pcars you do need a wheel... your not really going to be able to fully appreciate the physics with buffers build in for limited range of motion on sticks. But to be fair, I have one of those ridiculous setups (CSW v2, 3x screens, chassis, blah blah).

Pcars is my go to "sim" for training but I couldn't imagine playing it with a controller and I have hindreds and hundreds of hours on Forza and GT, both controller and wheels.

I also prefer the career structure despite its major short comings but it's at least a structure and not just list of single events.

I'm just mentioning this as I would be horribly frustrated without a wheel... Feeling the tires bite and ridding the slip angle is s real joy.

In your case I'd suggest getting a wheel, but not just for pcars, it will refresh all your racing games and feel completely new. That's a good bang for you buck if you look at it across several products.

On to other points, the AI makes crazy moves because it doesn't really notice you until your nose is up to the mid point of their door, so during late trail braking and you slide your nose in, the AI freaks out and does odd stuff.

Try turning up the AI over 60% at least. I think anything under 50 is likely not behaving as it should.

AI is on a simplified physics model, that was the only way they could get so many cars on track. But it's constantly being balanced. They have the same lateral limitations as the driver, but can get away with quick extreme motions that aren't as critical due to far fewer physics calculations.

If you've ever considered a wheel, nows the time to pull the trigger. But don't get a crappy one, get a decent one. There is a huge difference between a Logitech and the far cheaper and superior 911 gt2... If they are still supported on new consoles.

Double post for a quick compare; the M1? Great car! In a tight turn you might have your stick fully to one side. With a wheel you can turn an additional 20+ degrees beyond and feel the tires scrub hard and the rear struggling to stay planted and feel wheel hop. It's a huge save that counters understear in certain circumstances.

To be fair, I've not tried controllers with pcars but I've written controller code for games so I know exactly how I would do it for pcars and it would have a LOT of compromises.

@Famine, I'm a very acid critic about pCARS, its bugs and all things it got wrong.

But the feel of this game through a wheel is really special. The only thing I find best is GSCE.

GT3 racing, real assists, AI at 85% = epicness.

Well, at least when you don't get annoyed by the dozens of bugs and annoyances, that is.

@Famine, I'm a very acid critic about pCARS, its bugs and all things it got wrong.

But the feel of this game through a wheel is really special. The only thing I find best is GSCE.

GT3 racing, real assists, AI at 85% = epicness.

Well, at least when you don't get annoyed by the dozens of bugs and annoyances, that is.
Completely agree, it's a beautiful train wreak... I've still not spent much time in the gt3's so I'm still looking forward to that.

Most of my time has been in the Clio cup, and it feels quite right... I've driven them.

The cateram, fun slippery car that's easy to control.

And the M1, exactly what I would expect from an 80's slammed race car with HUGE wide tires, lots and lots of Mahon in the slip angle.

The Nurburgring is about as accurate as you can get without laser scan... It flow right but in AC it actually feels right. That's why I drove the Clio's.

Sadly, my favorite track to compete on is not so accurate, Sonoma Racway, but Willow Springs and Laguna Seca are spot on, many real races at both.

Pcars really isn't defendable under any definition, but it's what I would imagine it's like if you where the parents of an ugly, but brilliant child... When you look past the issues, there is something quite remarkable buried in there. A more organized dev team could have easily made it the definitive racer we have all been craving.

My bugbear is mainly things that have slipped the QA net, but these aren't bugs per se now I come to think about it.
And I don't think anyone is contesting that. Prime example is the 1.4 FFB changes. Nobody asked for those, they created major issues for a majority of the wheel users and the problems were so obvious I find it hard to believe they have been missed (as in: complete unplayable when you get in a car). I'm glad they gave us the 'classic' profile in 2.5/3.0, but I still have no clue why they changed it and why it wasn't caught in QA. So it's definitely not just a QA issue, but also a design/development issue. And I can't shake the feeling that issues like this would have raised hell if WMD were still in place for PC1...

That said, I do love that you can interact with SMS directly, they do listen to the community and they address issues fairly quickly. And I guess that for PS4 users, it's the only thing they have right now in terms of sim racing.

Last edited:
. My bugbear is mainly things that have slipped the QA net.

And this is the part I agree totally on, if the QA had been done properly, then 3.0 would be adding loads of cool new features instead of fixing bugs and adding a few cool new features. I went in hard on SMS when the game was released because they told us "it's 99% done and just needs a polishing". After being misled about the state of the game I was reluctant to believe anything would be fixed, but things have been fixed and other problems are being worked on.

In the mean time, I'm still enjoying the game in it's unfinished state. I rarely encounter what I'd class as a "game breaker" and I've not yet felt the need to launch a control pad at the wall!

It's good to know that for PCars 2 the discussion about how to effectively leverage WMD (and possibly also the general public) also on consoles has been started. We've also raised a topic on having WMD included in post-release patching (early access) as well. I know it shouldn't be a replacement for the QA process, but at least issues will be detected earlier.

To quote another GTPlanet poster "Somewhere buried in here is a really good game"
I think that's about the best way to sum up pCARS, yes. Just like SMS last offering, Shift 2. Such a pity because both games are potentially epic

I'm very much looking forward to FM6. Yes, in some areas it will be lacking the pure, visceral excitement of pCARS

But it'll do what was promised and it'll be released on time. There's a lot to be said for that, regardless of your opinion on Microsoft/T10

Sadly, my favorite track to compete on is not so accurate, Sonoma Racway, but Willow Springs and Laguna Seca are spot on, many real races at both.

Might you elaborate the not so accurate things on Sonoma Raceway a little bit? I'm just curious. :)

Yes it is like SHIFT2 all over again, the only difference is they are trying to fix it, not sure if we will every get that so called polished version tho.

SHIFT2 for me was still a great racer and way ahead of its time, i learnt to live with its problems. In a way its like that game was alive, like a old cars electrics playing up :lol:

since patch 3.0 I've only had a tire overheating bug, I've only had it once so I'm not sure if its offline only or online as well,

I invested so much time & effort trying to get some kind of set up together so I could play this game, & doing so on a shoe string budget. For me, this game hasn't lived up to most of what we were led to believe or expect from it. True, driving the cars with a FFB wheel is the closest thing to reality I've ever experienced & is incredibly awesome, but SMS produce the most buggiest games out of all the games I've ever played. I am losing faith in SMS that they will ever be able to patch it, I think it's beyond their ability to fix evertything.

Project BUGS!

:(

Last edited:
Why are we speaking about old bad games (GT6) in the project cars forum?
I also read about Driveclub being awful.

A lot of fun here.

The PS4 does not crash only the game. It returns to the XMB screen and sends Sony a bug report (with video). It doesn't matter wether it is wheel or DS4.

No other game, on any system has ever crashed as often as this :-( That includes PC back to DOS 5, PS1/3/4.

Losing FFB I only unplug/re-plug USB from wheel and it is fixed instantly. All firmware is up to date.

BTW I have done over 1,600 races (won over 700).

Just for your info on the TM site and facebook they said not to plug and unplug the wheel with console turned on on ps4 as this will cause ffb issues.

On the console side i'm not having any crash with any game. it crashed only once in Tomb Raider but it was a bug of the game crashing the same point (elicopter scene - patched now). If you are having so many crashes or your copy is faulty or your console is dying. If a were in you i would have a check immediatly before warranty expires. It's not normal and it's not a game issue. So many crashes are insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to PS4 main menu while playing Pcars .
Landmines on and offline
Invisibly walls on and offline
Loosing control over the car on and offline
Qualifying strategie pitsetup not possibly to put more than 2.0 tyres presser .
Stuttering while replay
stuttering while online and someone comes in
And we could go on and on and on and on

But ...... must say like it is , when there are no issue iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii love to play the bitch .
You should call an exorcist mate :D
... and graphics, AI, cockpit view, FFB, ...

The only thing where GT is better (for now) are replays and maybe photo mode (don't really use that a lot), but in all other departments, GT is not even close...
Cough cough, online settings... No no tune races, no kick out of room, no ingame text chat etc etc
VBR
I invested so much time & effort trying to get some kind of set up together so I could play this game, & doing so on a shoe string budget. For me, this game hasn't lived up to most of what we were led to believe or expect from it. True, driving the cars with a FFB wheel is the closest thing to reality I've ever experienced & is incredibly awesome, but SMS produce the most buggiest games out of all the games I've ever played. I am losing faith in SMS that they will ever be able to patch it, I think it's beyond their ability to fix evertything.

Project BUGS!

:(

Me too I expected too much from the game due to users here and mad advertising made by them.

Back