Patch 3.0 Still Buggy :-(

• Thread starter TT92
  • 460 comments
I just finished a 100 lap race at Imola with the Merc.Benz CLK-LM with full grid and identical cars. Full practice and qualifying. Full time in for this session about 4.5 hours. Race time 19:00 hrs. Weather sunny, med.cloud, hev.cloud, fog. A great race lots of good battles and love the new tires features and all the new goodies and tweaks. No crash and ran as it should. All in all a great race into the night. ;)
Seen a few AI cutting corners those cheaters :grumpy:

Try starting a race and see how many times you can restart from within the pause menu until the game either crashes, or most likely get no FFB or wonky wheel. It's like a roulette, it really is. I hope SMS continue to work on memory usage, as it's the most likely cause for several bugs IMO.

I'm afraid I may not be able to do that soon enough, I borrowed the PS4 and Pcars :( The crashes seems happen not only from races, but from going through different game modes - time trial, going back and forth to garage or tuning, accessing photomode etc.

Career - Watkins Glen GT3, 100%. In the dry the AI run approx 30.4 seconds in the first sector, in the rain they are running about 30.9, it's a joke. In the dry i get 29.xxx and in the wet i get 32.xxx (yes, i changed the tune accordingly).
Every patch has mentioned slowing down the AI in the wet, yet it never happens.

On another note, is the SLS one of the poorer gt3 cars in the wet? In the dry it seems a beast.

Just did this event over the weekend and I can confirm what you said. In light rain, the AI is completely destroying you, leaving you seconds behind. However, in "normal" or heavy rain, their speed is pretty much spot on, you can compete with them on an equal level.
I was already wondering why the speed difference was that huge. Maybe they were using other tyres in light rain. I had intermediates on my car and they felt pretty good for those conditions.

It wasn't when I fired up pCARS at about 5pm UK yesterday :(
They need to address whatever's going on with the patch submission from Pcars to Microsoft. The last patch (2.0) got turned down by Microsoft 'twice' if my memory serves me correctly. This led to the patch being delayed for everyone, PC and PS4 and, obviously, the MS patch version.

At least they've learnt from that this time, and we're 'all' not being held back because of one companys issues 👍

I was playing earlier on PS4 (I hadn't played for a while), and when I was looking at the McLaren P1 in the garage, the game suddenly crashed and the PS4 gave me an error. At first, I thought this was maybe just a one off glitch. Before going back to the game, I went to swap controllers and it wouldn't work. I turned off the console and turned it back on again, and it worked fine, and I went back and played for a few hours. At some point, I decided to do a quick race for the hell of it, and suddenly... it crashed again. I decided to go back right away instead of turning it on and off again, but my data was corrupted. So yeah, it seems 3.0 still has some bugs to iron out. And this means I'll have to restart the game from scratch.

In case this matters, I'm playing with a DS4 on the digital version of the game.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

They need to address whatever's going on with the patch submission from Pcars to Microsoft. The last patch (2.0) got turned down by Microsoft 'twice' if my memory serves me correctly. This led to the patch being delayed for everyone, PC and PS4 and, obviously, the MS patch version.

At least they've learnt from that this time, and we're 'all' not being held back because of one companys issues 👍

I think the truth is closer to the fact the patches have issues and seems its crashing the PS4 for some people, MS instead of being the big bad people, are actually making sure its not going to crash the xbox1 system? Would i rather they make sure its OK or just pass it out without checking?....the former... its not like with patch 2.0 the game isn't already pretty epic....

I think the truth is closer to the fact the patches have issues and seems its crashing the PS4 for some people, MS instead of being the big bad people, are actually making sure its not going to crash the xbox1 system? Would i rather they make sure its OK or just pass it out without checking?....the former... its not like with patch 2.0 the game isn't already pretty epic....

Never crashed for me, and most/some who have commented here, on PS4 if you read through this thread?

See here?

Never crashed for me, and most/some who have commented here, on PS4 if you read through this thread?

See here?

That's why i said "some people" it stills exists even if you haven't had the issue....... Like someone saying "i have the flu" and the boss saying "Well i've not had it....i'll see you in work.."

I'm very much a layman when it comes to code, so I'll defer to anyone one with such knowledge but...

How can some people have certain issues and others not? As far as I'm aware the PS4/X1 are 'closed' systems ie unadjustable

Everyone gets the same data per their console on the disc or in their digital copy. Everyone gets the same data in the patch that is appropriate to their console

So how/why do some people get issues and others don't? :confused:

I'm very much a layman when it comes to code, so I'll defer to anyone one with such knowledge but...

How can some people have certain issues and others not? As far as I'm aware the PS4/X1 are 'closed' systems ie unadjustable

Everyone gets the same data per their console on the disc or in their digital copy. Everyone gets the same data in the patch that is appropriate to their console

Bad coding. There are so many issues that no 2 people are going to be experiencing the exact same combo of bugs at the same time. There have been huge bugs and memory leaks in this code going all the way back to the first shift game.

The number of variables and possible permutations of combinations of hardware, firmware, peripherals (+ firmware) + player input + online input + storage, etc. Certain combinations lead to issues, other's don't. E.g. a memory leak you may never run into if you only play in short stints (so memory usage can't accumulate far enough). Or maybe there's a memory leak only in a certain page of the tuning screen that you never use. Or a specific track/car/setup/device combo leads to a piece of memory becoming invalid, leading to a crash. E.g. I have hardly have the game crash ever, but I certainly realise that for others there are game-breaking issues. Doesn't mean the game is broken in general, but it is for certain players.

Most issues should be flushed out with playtesting though. Devs should have a large enough set of users/device/firmware combo to cover the most cases. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

Its pretty evident in my opinion anyway this game was released before the devs would of wanted, the hype machine snow ball was almost rolling to fast and too big and became an uncontrollable avalanche, car forums i go onto were awash with hype, game forums etc etc, facebook, social media was saying this is the game for racers, end of..... after few delays and set backs people were getting irate, people were canceling pre orders and there were threads on forums about that.

So once that was happening it was just released, xbox one version the worst off but whole thing was a bit of a mess...then the patches come.

It was released in a semi finished state and they knew it and they pretty much have spent this time trying to deflect the grief that can bring and essentially using the first buyers as testers.

I waited for patch 2 and glad i did, now for patch 3 and then who knows what else...but for sure if they had of released the game at patch 2 stage then i doubt you'd be able to pick up the game second hand for 20 odd quid..

I do worry still that Ian Bell is the sim racers version of Peter Molyneux ..

Errrm, what's a memory leak? :embarrassed::lol:

I forgot....

Errrm, what's a memory leak? :embarrassed::lol:
For example, when you exit the race, the game is supposed to release the memory used up by that track/cars/etc., which can then be used to load a new track/car/etc. Let's say the track uses 1GB of memory (way less than that, but let's just assume that). Assume you have 7GB of free space. So let's say you load 7 different tracks, now you are at the limit of your memory, because game didn't release 1GB of memory each time. If there was no leak, the game would use 1 Gb of memory only each time, so you'd still have 7GB free after you are done with race #7. This is simplified, but you get the point.

Despite conventional belief, consoles can vary between production runs and are always getting small updates. Not even developers are made aware of this and frequently need to ask for a newer dev kit. But thus far, developers can cure any of these revision inconsistencies.

Every game I've ever shipped has had one really odd major bug/s that was baffling because of a hardware revision. Frequently we wouldn't find out until 1st party failed us.

Very very frustrating.

Why? Because consoles are meant to stay current for as long as possible so they are intentionally limited at launch, with small updates that open up more memory etc.

Heck, even the Vita just got an update freeing up over 70 megs for developers (though this is OS related, not hardware). Now games that would never run in the past could technicly be ported to run today. But the following week they categorized the vita as a "legacy" platform so don't hold your breath thinking devs will do anything more with it.

Here is a real classic for everyone to try on their PS4s.

There is a new Community event for the Lotus 49 Cosworth. I can select the car and do laps in it at Silverstone just fine.

As soon as I try and tune it the game will crash *every time* . It does not matter from where in the game I select the car as soon as I hit the tuning button the game crashes and returns me to the XMB screen. This has happened 10 times now and I have sent 10 crash reports with videos to Sony. It does not happen with several other cars I have tried, only the Lotus.

So it looks like SMS just does not want me to do the community event with a tuned car! I then wandered off and played Drive Club for about an hour (boring) and then played COD AW for about 2 hours. Guess what? Not a problem at all ;-)

I am so over this bug ridden POS!

There is a new Community event for the Lotus 49 Cosworth. I can select the car and do laps in it at Silverstone just fine.

As soon as I try and tune it the game will crash *every time* . It does not matter from where in the game I select the car as soon as I hit the tuning button the game crashes and returns me to the XMB screen. This has happened 10 times now and I have sent 10 crash reports with videos to Sony. It does not happen with several other cars I have tried, only the Lotus.

So it looks like SMS just does not want me to do the community event with a tuned car! I then wandered off and played Drive Club for about an hour (boring) and then played COD AW for about 2 hours. Guess what? Not a problem at all ;-)

Have you tried "rebuild data base " on your PS4 ? Some people say they do this once a month. I played 5or 6 hours last night and never had a problem . Half the time was in carear with restarts , tununing , FFB menus ,changing cars and liverys and the other half online different cars and tracks and no problems at all

tested, i was playing with no problems few minutes ago. for me again its your ps4 which is not fine not the game.

However yestarday i had a crash in f1 2015, i mean didn't even start and now my console makes a strange bip bip sound when turned off.. damn

Have you tried "rebuild data base " on your PS4 ? Some people say they do this once a month. I played 5or 6 hours last night and never had a problem . Half the time was in carear with restarts , tununing , FFB menus ,changing cars and liverys and the other half online different cars and tracks and no problems at all

Have you tried to tune the Lotus 49 Cosworth? I would like to establish if this is only peculiar to my machine (which I doubt).

As I have said, every other game works fine, I have no other issues with my PS4 *except* the same bugs I have had with PCARS since day one. Also, a lot of these issues SMS have stated they have already fixed which quite plainly they haven't.

Have you tried to tune the Lotus 49 Cosworth? I would like to establish if this is only peculiar to my machine (which I doubt).

As I have said, every other game works fine, I have no other issues with my PS4 *except* the same bugs I have had with PCARS since day one. Also, a lot of these issues SMS have stated they have already fixed which quite plainly they haven't.

I'm trying right now live to give you a feedback.
Tried with the stock car. fine.
Tuned the car with jack spades. fine again.
Exit and enter. fine.. just took a bit longer to load.
However no crashes but maybe i'm just lucky cause i've never had a crash since launch.

Most people dont have issuses , and even less have issuses like you have . I was just trying to help rebuilding data base hurts nothing and i dont use rest mode on the PS4 i turn OFF .

Many people on this forums have tried to help and the only reply from you is the games broke, unplay able , SMS sucks (even though you have 4500 seasons done LOL)

I dont know what to tell you if you dont want to help yourself than SELL THE GAME

I've said it before, when in doubt delete the profile. I know you are hunting for that platinum trophy, but if you gave up on that and just want to try to enjoy the game with less bugs, I'd give that a go. It may not be the cause of all problems, but in the past (during development) people who had all sorts of crazy bugs usually didn't delete the profile for a long time.

I don't know how ps4 works and if there is a way to make the backup of the profile (on PC it's easy) but if you can back it up and try with the new one, I think it's worth a try. Seems like you are one of the few who has a lot more crashes and random bugs with the game, but it doesn't seem to be ps4, so maybe your profile got corrupted somehow.

Good luck!

Just did this event over the weekend and I can confirm what you said. In light rain, the AI is completely destroying you, leaving you seconds behind. However, in "normal" or heavy rain, their speed is pretty much spot on, you can compete with them on an equal level.
I was already wondering why the speed difference was that huge. Maybe they were using other tyres in light rain. I had intermediates on my car and they felt pretty good for those conditions.

I reported the issue here on forum. The speed of AI on light rain is completely off. I was told it would be reported on Pcars forums too, it seems it wasn't.

What's with the AI cars driving straight through you when they come out of the pits?

I noticed it also I would think it's part of the pit lane safe zone.
I was on track, outside of the pitlane line, as was the AI car, but I don't really care where we were, a car should not be able to drive through another car (outside of online lag).

Sloppy programming. That's what that is.

Back