Patch Release Notes and Discussion Thread

• Thread starter DrJustice
  • 1,286 comments
2 Questions

a) Has SMS confirmed that the tyres are behaving how they want them to
b) Does the current tyre model render all current tunes obsolete?
As for b), I've not had to retune any of my cars since the patch, but I've yet to run more than a 15 minute race. I don't think complete retunes are needed.
Would be great to know the answer to a) though. Imagine if the new model is bugged lol

2 Questions

a) Has SMS confirmed that the tyres are behaving how they want them to
b) Does the current tyre model render all current tunes obsolete?
This is what they want for a tire model but they still have to fix the camber issue.

If your setups use low PSi you might want to add more

little more info from Casey the tire guy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Casey Ringley
Last but not least, patch 6 includes some recalibration of tire heating models. Some folks in a G40 league here found an issue where a slight increase in pressure could cause an extreme amount of overheating in the tires. We tracked it down to a fix in a change in how the carcass generates heat at low inflation pressure, but this sent us down a rabbit hole of checking that no cars had completely broken tires with the change. Things are much better with the fix in place. Temperature balance front to rear looks more correct on most cars and it removes something of an exploit that was possible in car setup. You’ll need to take more care with setting tire pressures now and can expect a larger response from those changes.

With the fix, tires heat faster, more predictably, and will really punish you for poor driving and setup in a way they didn't before. A lot of tires could move to more standardized values without needing lots of extra calibration just to get the right front to rear temperature balance. Before, if rear tires started at a lower pressure, they could run up against a limit near ideal pressure and lose heat; ending up cooler than the front even if the handling balance was strongly biased to oversteer. Now they get nice, consistent heating and show a reasonably higher carcass temp than non-driven fronts, which then filters through to hotter tread. Generally the temps are feeling more representative of handling balance now. Cool stuff.

While in there recalibrating the heat, I merged in some ideas we've been playing with for pCARS 2. Biggest of those is that most slick tires (those based on our SLICK_GT3 template) now have a larger temperature range for the rubber of 0-200°C. This fits in with stuff we've learned from rallycross where tires under extreme stress creep up to 180C or more. This has a pretty cool result of accentuating the camber effects of a tire so the inside edge reads significantly hotter as it should. Implies that our the old cap around 150-165C was limiting heat gain on the inside edge but not the outside. Also does a very good job at punishing the driver for abusive technique.

Some tire sets also had slight wear rate recalibration to fit with changes brought on by the new heat model. Anything that did change stayed at the same starting grip as before, but some will wear faster now and with a stronger grip loss effect. Prototype work on the upcoming V8 Supercar helped to hone in the right reference point for grip loss on a heavily worn tire. Generally the cost is about 2s over a 2min lap at the end of a run. Go longer than that and you're likely to find yourself driving it off the performance cliff and losing heaps of time.

by no way i am saying who is right or wrong, just adding more info :gtpflag:

Nailed it. What we've learned is that the rubber can get hotter than we thought before certain compounds phase change and do other weird stuff. A loaded tyre surface might be closer to 200°C when sliding now rather than 165°C. That means more heat energy building up in the tread, so if you abuse the tyres by scrubbing them excessively or using a compound too soft for the track-weather combination, they are more likely to overheat now. Greater long term penalty for short term mistakes. As Tiago noted, the performance is still in there, but you have to work harder/smarter to get it without killing your rubber. For one quick lap, manage the starting temps and burn them up. If you want to run quick over a full race distance, think more about tyre management and not just turning fastest laps one after another for an hour.
I've seen all of this on the official forums and it's about as clear as mud. I really don't think they know they messed up. Those post talk about different heat with under inflated tires. Is every tire being treated as under inflated now? Pressures barley make a difference in temperature and camber is even more broke.

I've seen all of this on the official forums and it's about as clear as mud. I really don't think they know they messed up. Those post talk about different heat with under inflated tires. Is every tire being treated as under inflated now? Pressures barley make a difference in temperature and camber is even more broke.
It looks pretty clear to me,they found an exploit,corrected it and now people have to deal with it. Yes they messed up:confused: I think it's an absolutely brilliant update. Thank you SMS!

It looks pretty clear to me,they found an exploit,corrected it and now people have to deal with it. Yes they messed up:confused: I think it's an absolutely brilliant update. Thank you SMS!
Please be so kind and explain how you got to "they found an exploit" from those notes.

should soft tires really start overheating in just 2 laps?

If you abuse your tyres you should be able to overheat them within a lap, this happens from time to time to real race drivers, though they are so good at managing tyre temps that something like that will usually only happen in extreme conditions where even such highly skilled racers can't keep temps in check for a full quali lap.

Anyone remember this year's Singapore gp, where drivers and team bosses alike were talking about how due to the nature of the circuit, and the temps they were experiencing, the tyres had an optimum temp window of only +/- 2 degrees celcius? Vettel took pole there due to finding the absolute perfect set up, and being able to perfectly manage that tiny window, while some other drivers, most notably the Merc guys, really struggled.

I can understand people's frustration that they can't drive the way they have been and be consistently fast anymore, but I see nothing wrong with being able to overheat tyres so quickly, as it's exactly what will happen on a real track if you over drive your tyres trying to push too hard. Real racing drivers have so much experience with these things that it's second nature to them to feel what the tyres are doing, and not exceed the tyres' capability.

Maybe SMS should make brake temps for the road cars more realistic, as they purposely made them a little more managable, as if the road cars have had a brake upgrade, because they knew most players wouldn't like it if they were pushing hard and their brakes faded after 2 or 3 laps. I've taken an old beater I had through a tarmac rally stage a few years ago, and pushed so hard that the brakes were on fire at the end of it, and it was only a 3 minute stage. The front tyres (road tyres) were also hot as hell when I finished, and the car's balance was well out by the end.

Yeah I don't actually mind what they've done. More strategy is always a good thing. TBH I haven't changed my setups or adjusted my driving style and haven't encountered a massive problem with any of it. I assume we're all talking about soft compounds here, but has anyone tried mediums or hards to see how they've been affected? SMS can't have only looked at softs, right?

Please be so kind and explain how you got to "they found an exploit" from those notes.

To be fair, the notes of Casey's that he posted actually said "it removes something of an exploit that was possible in car setup. You’ll need to take more care with setting tire pressures now and can expect a larger response from those changes."

having no temp penalty for pushing too hard, throwing the car into the corners, spinning the wheels, scrubbing the front, all to look for the quickest times, was certainly something I exploited to get lap time, just the same as I exploited the 0.0 camber bug.

To be fair, the notes of Casey's that he posted actually said "it removes something of an exploit that was possible in car setup. You’ll need to take more care with setting tire pressures now and can expect a larger response from those changes."

having no temp penalty for pushing too hard, throwing the car into the corners, spinning the wheels, scrubbing the front, all to look for the quickest times, was certainly something I exploited to get lap time, just the same as I exploited the 0.0 camber bug.
I can assure you I don't throw cars into corners or scrub tires unnecessarily as that isn't the fastest way around pCars. He said expect more response from pressure changes yet we got the exact opposite.

I can assure you I don't throw cars into corners or scrub tires unnecessarily as that isn't the fastest way around pCars. He said expect more response from pressure changes yet we got the exact opposite.

Well then it's quite odd there are so many people saying they aren't having those troubles with overheating.

Well then it's quite odd there are so many people saying they aren't having those troubles with overheating.
It's simple, but no one will accept it. Everyone not having heat issues is going slower. On 5.0 their tires were under optimal temperatures because they were going slower and not pushing their tires as hard. Now with the extra heat those people now have tires at the optimal temperature, so to them it appears cars are faster.

It's simple, but no one will accept it. Everyone not having heat issues is going slower. On 5.0 their tires were under optimal temperatures because they were going slower and not pushing their tires as hard. Now with the extra heat those people now have tires at the optimal temperature, so to them it appears cars are faster.

So you're claiming that everyone who is not having trouble with tyre temps now are just plain slow and would have had trouble getting tyres up to temp pre 6.0?

Don't you think it's a little silly to just outright claim you are a better driver than everyone here that say they aren't having problems with this patch? That sounds to me more like "I'm a great driver, and the games now broken" rather than accepting the tyre temp model was seriously unrealistic before, and now you might just have to learn a part of racing you never knew before...

Great drivers acknowledge where their driving needs work, they don't blame their difficulties on everything else.

Just ran a 10 min race round Sonoma GP, McLaren 12C. Tires went up from 190 to 250+ yet my lap times were getting quicker. Perhaps just because of burning fuel but even so, not much difference in overall speed.

So you're claiming that everyone who is not having trouble with tyre temps now are just plain slow and would have had trouble getting tyres up to temp pre 6.0?

Don't you think it's a little silly to just outright claim you are a better driver than everyone here that say they aren't having problems with this patch? That sounds to me more like "I'm a great driver, and the games now broken" rather than accepting the tyre temp model was seriously unrealistic before, and now you might just have to learn a part of racing you never knew before...

Great drivers acknowledge where their driving needs work, they don't blame their difficulties on everything else.
Every fast person I've talked to has complained about the same thing. There is a very clear trend going on.

Every fast person I've talked to has complained about the same thing. There is a very clear trend going on.

So not only are you a better driver than anyone not having a problem managing their tyres, but you know lots of great drivers that also can't manage their temps.

Ever thought perhaps these "fast" drivers are only fast in a sim with a flawed tyre temp model, who are now upset that they can't drive flat out with no concern for their tyres?

God help us if PD make GT7's tyre model realistic, people will be carrying on wanting the crappy GT6 tyre model back just so they can match their GT6 lap times.

So not only are you a better driver than anyone not having a problem managing their tyres, but you know lots of great drivers that also can't manage their temps.

Ever thought perhaps these "fast" drivers are only fast in a sim with a flawed tyre temp model, who are now upset that they can't drive flat out with no concern for their tyres?

God help us if PD make GT7's tyre model realistic, people will be carrying on wanting the crappy GT6 tyre model back just so they can match their GT6 lap times.
Have you tried the new tires?

Have you tried the new tires?

I don't need to to point out what you're claiming to be unrealistic is not true. You're carrying on about tyres shouldn't overheat in a few laps, and plenty of people have said they aren't having a problem with them, and then you flat out just claim everyone that isn't having trouble with tyres are just slow drivers.

Do you honestly think the old tyre heat model was realistic? Do you think you should be able to push hard on tyres without running into temp problems?

Put up a video of your driving and show us all your godly talent, and let us see if your driving style is affecting the tyres or if they are "broken".

How much track experience do you have?

Edit: keep the telemetry hud up if you post a vid, so we can see how much energy you're putting into the tyres.

I don't need to to point out what you're claiming to be unrealistic is not true. You're carrying on about tyres shouldn't overheat in a few laps, and plenty of people have said they aren't having a problem with them, and then you flat out just claim everyone that isn't having trouble with tyres are just slow drivers.

Do you honestly think the old tyre heat model was realistic? Do you think you should be able to push hard on tyres without running into temp problems?

Put up a video of your driving and show us all your godly talent, and let us see if your driving style is affecting the tyres or if they are "broken".

How much track experience do you have?
Yes I have worked with real world GT teams. Again I'm not saying you should be able to push hard every lap. What I am saying is that now you can't push hard for one lap without getting the tires up to 240F-250F. That is unrealistic. Even F1 tires last longer than a lap. In your Singapore example Vettel pushed for 4 laps.

I also never said I have godly driving talent. All I said was I don't throw my car into corners or have excessive tire scrub.

So I realize that I'm only messing about with one car on one track but I really haven't noticed a difference in fast lap pace. However, I did notice that backing off a bit on high speed corners serves well to keep temperature and wear. That and I could keep times under 3:30.xx without the tires being crimson the entire lap. In fact, 3:25 to 3:28.xx are capable at Le Mans while keeping temperatures down.

Initially, I found that my usual driving style of taking the Porsche curves almost flat out would burn the two front and left rear tire up. Backing off a bit got the hud color down to brown or faint orange. Still working on getting tire temperature down through the Dunlop curves and Tetre Rouge.

I'm going to try GT3, GT4, Group A, and maybe even Clio Cup next.

What's nice about adjusting to the new tire model is that I've also started to adjust my fule consumption. In a fast lap in the TS040 at Le Mans I use up about 5 liters, on the conservation laps I used between 4.8 and 4.9 liters per lap. I think I can cut even more consumption while keeping times under 3:30.

This is getting out of hand so the last thing I'm goin to say is the new tire model is going in the right direction, but the tires sensitivity to load needs to be turned down a little so you can push for a few more laps.

Yes I have worked with real world GT teams. Again I'm not saying you should be able to push hard every lap. What I am saying is that now you can't push hard for one lap without getting the tires up to 240F-250F. That is unrealistic. Even F1 tires last longer than a lap. In your Singapore example Vettel pushed for 4 laps.

I also never said I have godly driving talent. All I said was I don't throw my car into corners or have excessive tire scrub.

In Singapore Vettel pushed, but you can't claim he pushed well beyond the tyres' limits. Dan Ricciardo said after quali that his tyres were overheated and lost grip two thirds of the way through his timed lap in Q3, meaning he lost time to Vettel in the tight third sector, despite the red bull being strong in that sector throughout the weekend. That's one single lap that the tyres didn't last for.

If you think it's unrealistic to be able to overheat tyres that quickly, you're wrong.

As far as your "godly" racing talent, that was just me having a laugh at you outright claiming that anyone who isn't having the troubles you are must be just plain slow lol.

If you don't want to learn to manage tyre temps, there are plenty of games that only model temps conservatively, or not at all, that you can play.

Once again, I never claimed it to be perfect, I'll reserve my opinion on it's accuracy until I have thoroughly tested, but from everything I'm reading here and at the official forum, it sounds like a big jump in realism over what we previously had. Perhaps more tweaks are necessary, but that is the case with many parts of this sim, and all others in fact.

This is getting out of hand so the last thing I'm goin to say is the new tire model is going in the right direction, but the tires sensitivity to load needs to be turned down a little so you can push for a few more laps.

That's a fair statement. Have you tried all the compounds in the appropriate situations?

That's a fair statement. Have you tried all the compounds in the appropriate situations?
No, just softs on Road America. Just did a 14 lap race with some series members and was doing mid to low 2:05's while taking it easy through the carousel. Tires were around 242 after the following right hander. I pushed on lap 12 and did 2:04.5 and the tires went to 250. I did notice something very interesting though. The tires were 230ish until I got to the carousel. Then the color instantly jumped from dark green to orange after that one corner. Even though that's a high lateral load corner the tires shouldn't jump 12 degrees when I'm not pushing. I think that points to the tires being a little too sensitive to load. I like the way the model is going, but I still think they went a little too far.

@Mike_grpA I'm not an elitist and I don't hold myself above others. I was posting out of frustration. Sorry for the aggressive attitude.

I've tried Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Willow Springs, and Lagua Seca with a few cars (GT2, GT3, TransAM) and haven't found an tire overheating problem. But, I'm using mostly stock setups. Could it be that those that we setting their cars up for time trials are now finding those setups don't work well now (overworking the tires)? Were those setups unrealistic, they may have been fast. Just wondering as I'm not seeing a problem, I'm actually liking pCARS again (burned out after a couple years of development) after spending more time lately with my other sims.

I've tried Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Willow Springs, and Lagua Seca with a few cars (GT2, GT3, TransAM) and haven't found an tire overheating problem. But, I'm using mostly stock setups. Could it be that those that we setting their cars up for time trials are now finding those setups don't work well now (overworking the tires)? Were those setups unrealistic, they may have been fast. Just wondering as I'm not seeing a problem, I'm actually liking pCARS again (burned out after a couple years of development) after spending more time lately with my other sims.
I don't think there's a difference in setups from TT other than ducts. My setups are all realistic other than camber.

For all interested in a day to day comparison i race at Bathurst yesterday night in skaanky's gt3 serie

So i did run on 6.0 with same setup 100% same conditions.

So first of all things have changed. A lot. And i like it far better than before.

Now those throwing like mads the cars in corners and going all 4 wheels sliding around in drift style will have rightfully to suffer.

Things that overheat your tires:

1) throwing car in turns suddenly
2) 4 wheels sliding into corners
3) LOCKING BRAKES (i run the m3 gt3 and it has no ABS) This will really really kill your tires!
4) Exceeding a certain wheel turning (it seems to add over the time)

The more you keep at it the more it adds for it takes more time for tires to cool down from abuse!

now a picture of last night race at lap 10:

C973qnt.jpg

and now a picture of 6.0

6DzIHH6.jpg

As can be easily seen, tire consumption is basically 100% the same. The FR tire do get more heated up in the twisted section but cools down pretty normally and doesn't have weird behaviour.

I tried overstressing the tires using a lot of wheel turning radius to achieve a faster time and i managed to get the tire 100% red out of the bad treatment i gave it. So smooth is the way to go.

It also provides a very interesting tire management and the way passes are taken can be important for an extreme pass with locked brakes might mean being pretty slower for 2-3 turns!

Another interesting thing is that going smooth makes your tires breath like they actually do in racing!

Last part is the car behaviour and speed.

1)car behaves diffrently! Or actually the same but you have to work your input in a more realistic way to avoid overheating the tires. The more the tire overheats the worse it'll behave; if you ease down for 3-4 turns it'll gradually cool again.

2)Times. As you can see above, times are faster for me. it seems that i'm getting that little extra warmt while turning that gives me some extra grip.

My best in race was in low 2.10s with draft on 5.0 race

In this 6.0 test i got easily a 2.09.928 with damaged aero (yeah i'm not a bathurst master lol), so if you take care of your tires IT'S ACTUALLY FASTER and i didn't tune it at all from 5.0! I'm pretty sure that with some pressure play i can make the car feel even better than this and get in 2.08s!

I am getting different results with the default Mclaren GT3 set-up at Bathurst

Firstly i am running slower 2:04:6 Patch 5 ,2:05:5 Patch 6

I found the more i tried getting back onto the gas early on any corner made my wheels light up ,even with low throttle input (altho i did cure the over heating tyre problem by simply raising the downforce as a quick test)The new tyre model seemed to punish the car in the default set-up

You are correct smoother turning does save the tyres a touch but still they over heat particualarly when going up the hill in the Mclaren

Now dont get me wrong i am not knocking the new tyre model ,i do find it more realistic ,infact a lot more ,every corner now i have to set-up to take a little bit earlier than the previous model and use throttle control to keep me on the line ,i cannot just go flat out like i used to on turns 9&10 ,altho i`m only down 5-10mph ,i have to burp the gas and let the tryes find grip before i can get back on the gas ,it is much more technical than before

I am still using the same braking points even if the tyres are red without over shooting ,locking up or losing control

The only downside is how i feel when driving ,even though i am having to drive it more ,it dosent feel like i`m pushing the car to the limit as compared to the old tyre model ,but when i look at my tyres its telling me ive already exceeded it

It will take a while to get used too

I found the more i tried getting back onto the gas early on any corner made my wheels light up ,even with low throttle input (altho i did cure the over heating tyre problem by simply raising the downforce as a quick test)The new tyre model seemed to punish the car in the default set-up

I forgot about this. Interesting

Back