Patience poll

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 212 comments

How much patience do you have left for an update?

• 0 - no patience remaining.

Votes: 155 28.7%

Votes: 80 14.8%

Votes: 64 11.9%

Votes: 64 11.9%

Votes: 58 10.7%
  • 5 - I don't care when the next update is released.

Votes: 119 22.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously missed the entire point of the analogy, and have you completely forgotten or have you chosen to ignore PD's track record with making announcements and missing deadlines? Sure, things happen. But these things don't just happen all the time every time. It's poor development choices and bad business choices on PD's part. Read @Lawndart post above, who is a member of the game development industry.
Explain it to me then.

I think there are far worse developer situations out there right now and PD's biggest issue is failure to communicate. Look at DICE and Battlefield - they supposedly stopped DLC development to address their game breaking issues like server crashes, save data erased if the game crashes, sound cutting out completely, rubberbanding making online a horrible experience and then there comes the DLC right on schedule and most of there issues still present. Look at Arkham Origins which has game breaking bugs and the developer announced no more patches to fix issues, we are working solely on paid DLC. PD on the other hand are working of fixing issues, working on announced features, adding free content, and paid DLC. Could they do better at communicating, sure. Could they push the updates out quicker? Probably but I also don't have insight into their development process or issues they are running across and I won't pretend to. I actually think it's unfair for a member of the industry to criticize this situation without knowing details, and that's aimed directly @Lawndart

Driver rating and ranking system go hand in hand. The common misconception people like you have is that in an effort to win people wil just crash their way to the front. The driver rating prevents that. The more you crash the lower your rating. Add in driver rating to the lobby restrictions and then you don't have to race with anyone who crashes and bashes to the front. Problem solved. This isn't Call of Duty, its a relatively simple thing to control.
That would be a good feature to sort out the knuckleheads! Almost like a DNF rating in games that I play like Madden. So if you are playing someone who continuously quits in the 2nd quarter you can tell before you waste 30 minutes.

I'm really not sure where or how the developer's failure to have search filters, quick match up, a display so we can see the settings, aids and restrictions of a room in the lobby area instead of having to join every room to view them, stable loading times, room ratings, ping time display, reliable connection to the servers/random drop outs of several people at a time, pitstops that work, basic community features, a freaking shuffle mode and so on makes us 4 year olds for not understanding.

It is not he customer's fault that the online mode (or offline parts too for that matter) is beyond sub par, especially when compared to other similar titles and the fact they've spent 10 years working on it all. It's operational at an extremely basic level for a portion at a time, and then sometimes it (online mode) just doesn't want to work.

All of this has zero to do with understanding how it works and us being stupid, the fact is there is so much that is missing that is simple to add in and have been around for donkey's years already - including other PS3 titles. PD can't always be defended and the blame can't always be laid on us.
If you have good connections, without wireless, you should rarely ever drop out or get disconnected.
The shuffle races should be added, yes, and the pitstops are weird, and should also be fixed, but its not exactly the same as the online working or not, pitstops are also messed up in the offline mode.
Driver rating and ranking system go hand in hand. The common misconception people like you have is that in an effort to win people wil just crash their way to the front. The driver rating prevents that. The more you crash the lower your rating. Add in driver rating to the lobby restrictions and then you don't have to race with anyone who crashes and bashes to the front. Problem solved. This isn't Call of Duty, its a relatively simple thing to control.
It's not easy for the game or anyone to say who crashed who and who's to blame. Sometimes you get a penalty for hitting a car in front of you and thats him that brake way too early before a corner, to give an example.

If you have good connections, without wireless, you should rarely ever drop out or get disconnected.
The shuffle races should be added, yes, and the pitstops are weird, and should also be fixed, but its not exactly the same as the online working or not, pitstops are also messed up in the offline mode.

It's not easy for the game or anyone to say who crashed who and who's to blame. Sometimes you get a penalty for hitting a car in front of you and thats him that brake way too early before a corner, to give an example.
Many incidents are easy to resolve though. Even if some are not that doesn't mean the system won't work. Even if the incidents are all 50/50, dirty drivers will accumulate more incidents over time and therefore their rating will go down, forcing them to drive cleaner or be relgated to dirty lobbies or those without restrictions. You could also have something like an "incident report" available to the host. If drivers 1-9 have 1-2 incidents each and driver 10 has 14, then the host will likely kick that driver and again solve the problem.

Explain it to me then.

Some games are released broken and get updates to try and fix them, and some don't, either way the developers or publishers recieve backlash from their customers and fans. The game you are mentioning is published by EA, and look at the reputation they have built. They've been rated America's worst company for 2 years and are leading their way to a hat trick award.

In comparison, I think BF4 has recieved more updates than GT6 has, both have been out for a similar amount of time. BF4 is also multiplatform so it has to operate on several different devices, GT6 only has to be coded for one. Did BF4 also remove features from previous games, then advertise more available and not give them to you? This I'm not sure off as I generally don't play FPS games.

If you have good connections, without wireless, you should rarely ever drop out or get disconnected

I have a 130Mb fibre optic connection with the lowest ping times and jitter available, rated better than 93% of both my country and the globe according to speedtest.net. I still get times where online drops out, won't load or both the lobby and friend's tab won't display anyone being online whatsoever.

I have a 130Mb fibre optic connection with the lowest ping times and jitter available, rated better than 93% of both my country and the globe according to speedtest.net. I still get times where online drops out, won't load or both the lobby and friend's tab won't display anyone being online whatsoever.
:crazy:

What chance do us mere mortals have then?

I have a bunch of patience right now, so I choose 4.5. I sort of care when PD will update the game, but only to have a heads up of when I should expect some new stuff. Other than that, I'm fine with waiting because I've been taking my time with the game.

Many incidents are easy to resolve though. Even if some are not that doesn't mean the system won't work. Even if the incidents are all 50/50, dirty drivers will accumulate more incidents over time and therefore their rating will go down, forcing them to drive cleaner or be relgated to dirty lobbies or those without restrictions. You could also have something like an "incident report" available to the host. If drivers 1-9 have 1-2 incidents each and driver 10 has 14, then the host will likely kick that driver and again solve the problem.
Still I dont like it much. What about people who simply are begginers and can't avoid crashes because they dont have much skill? They are gonna get crucified just for being begginers?
What we do (me and the people we play) is to create a black list of people who are dirty or people who dont play well.
Also we have a list of people that for some reason dont have a good connection.
We kick all of them out of the lobby.
Something must be happening with you then...
I have a "humble" 10 Mb DSL connection and I never get disconnected IF all the connections in the room are okay.
Sometimes the problem is one player out of 10-12-16 or whatever that messes up the whole room.
Players must have a good connection, not use the internet with the PC or another thing while playing, and never use wireless. If those requirements are met, everything should be fine. I know well because I play with a bunch of people that know all this and we rarely ever have problems.

I want a new update, yet I'm fine with what I've got, so it can hold me over.

You'll know I ran out of patience when I post a thread in the Track Suggestions for Zahara.

Still I dont like it much. What about people who simply are begginers and can't avoid crashes because they dont have much skill? They are gonna get crucified just for being begginers?
What we do (me and the people we play) is to create a black list of people who are dirty or people who dont play well.
Also we have a list of people that for some reason dont have a good connection.
We kick all of them out of the lobby.

I have a "humble" 10 Mb DSL connection and I never get disconnected IF all the connections in the room are okay.
Sometimes the problem is one player out of 10-12-16 or whatever that messes up the whole room.
Players must have a good connection, not use the internet with the PC or another thing while playing, and never use wireless. If those requirements are met, everything should be fine. I know well because I play with a bunch of people that know all this and we rarely ever have problems.
Beginners can enter unrated rooms or rooms that don't count for or against your rating. That can be another option. Matchmaking could set up rooms for beginners to facilitate this. There are simple solutions to any roadblock you can put up.

GASP! You have Burnout Paradise? I truely adore that game, and to this day, I'm still very happy I bought it. :D
Bought it on wednesday after winning a 2hr Silverstone enduro in my Bimmer for 20$ in PSN money.

Again blaming the customer and not the inadequate network coding/reliability.

Why is it my fault if no rooms/friend's rooms will display in the lobby or when I get dropped from my own lobby when I'm by myself? I like to monitor what is happening on my network and quite frankly, it is flawless outside of GT6. I don't experience packet losses or swings in ping and jitter, nor with speeds.

It doesn't happen all the time but enough to both me and my friend's to recognise that there is a problem.

Ahh okay, nice. 👍 I'm going to guess it was the ultimate edition you bought? Like the one that contains all DLC packs? :)
No. Standard edition, my first 10$ went on something else.

Yes, sure, a "quick match" thing is ok. But I dont see much difference between quick match, and just chosing a room you like in the online rooms list... You might save... lets say... from a few seconds to half a minute.

The thing that will make Quick Match great is that it will be for people who just want to jump in and race. No host being in control equals not waiting on other people before a race can start or having the rug pulled from underneath you by having a host change settings when you just joined. And unlike the Open Lobby system, I'm sure the list of online rooms in Quick Match will be organized since PD will be in control of them.

Again blaming the customer and not the inadequate network coding/reliability.

Why is it my fault if no rooms/friend's rooms will display in the lobby or when I get dropped from my own lobby when I'm by myself? I like to monitor what is happening on my network and quite frankly, it is flawless outside of GT6. I don't experience packet losses or swings in ping and jitter, nor with speeds.

It doesn't happen all the time but enough to both me and my friend's to recognise that there is a problem.

Exactly this, I also have a flawless connection outside of GT. Every single one of my other games play fine. GTA5, FIFA, Killzone, and I had no problems with BF3 when I played it quite frequently. Gran Turismo is the only title I have issues with online. I even went as far as having my internet company come to my house and check over everything which ended up with them replacing the line coming to my house just because it was a tad bit out of spec, all for trying to make GT online more stable. And even that didn't work and I'm willing to bet it's because it's on PD's end.

The thing that will make Quick Match great is that it will be for people who just want to jump in and race. No host being in control equals not waiting on other people before a race can start or having the rug pulled from underneath you by having a host change settings when you just joined. And unlike the Open Lobby system, I'm sure the list of online rooms in Quick Match will be organized since PD will be in control of them.
PD wont be in control of anything. They cant control them. The system will be automatic. Not sure what you mean by organized. Quick match will probably make you join a random room with available space in practice mode, so basically it will save you the time of searching a room and it will send you into a random room... Thats about it.

I choose 5... Cause while waiting I play GT 5... And later this month MGS 5.... Some things (GT6) need ripening:dopey:

I voted 3. I'd like there to be an update, but it's not really something that absolutely needs to be right now.

We're talking about having been fooled for five years here. Not a matter of patience, imo. When it comes to PD these days, there's only a chance I can be patient, and it's inside of an hospital.

Gran Turismo is the only title I have issues with online
Same here, I regularly get players who can't be seen in races, even if they're in my friends list. I can see them perfectly fine in other games too, just not in GT.

(Wired connection, 17-20mb average ps3 speedtest result)

It has problems yes, but its totally playable. All you need is a decent connection and no wireless (you need the ethernet cable) and you can have endless fun with the inmense combination of race configurations.
Ignoring it is a complete error.

I understand and respect that some find online the main feature of the game and the only thing worth it, but for others like me it's just a complete waste of time. Spending half an hour searching for a decent room. Making one and waiting for another half an hour for people to start joining. In that hour I could make at least eight different races offline in different tracks and cars I want, and play my game under my own rules.

Unfortunately it's either deal with the frustrating, potty mouthed and sometimes snooty online community, or deal with the half baked Arcade mode, incomplete career mode and dead A.I.

I'm not done with the GT series and I don't think I'll ever will, so I choose to wait to see what happens in the future. For now I'll just give it a long break.

I understand and respect that some find online the main feature of the game and the only thing worth it, but for others like me it's just a complete waste of time. Spending half an hour searching for a decent room. Making one and waiting for another half an hour for people to start joining. In that hour I could make at least eight different races offline in different tracks and cars I want, and play my game under my own rules.

Unfortunately it's either deal with the frustrating, potty mouthed and sometimes snooty online community, or deal with the half baked Arcade mode, incomplete career mode and dead A.I.

I'm not done with the GT series and I don't think I'll ever will, so I choose to wait to see what happens in the future. For now I'll just give it a long break.
Oh well... you can always try to beat the S-class races with a prius.
One guy I know, who is an offline freak and a very good player, won the 24h of lemans with a HOnda insight. Slow car but has very good fuel economy. Try it for a good offline challenge.

1 and 2 have the amount of patience of a hungry squirrel looking at a nut.

If the squirrel is hungry, it wont give up until it finds a nut. That is patience.

The only squirrels in Australia can be found in Perth. A few escaped from the zoo and established a colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back