[PC] DCS 1.5 & 2.0 Open Alpha

:lol:

Got in the Huey too and we flew some more
23968342591_3a57583618_o.jpg

23968363181_dc2433b461_o.jpg

So my progress on the M2000C so far is that I've been able to memorize the pre-flight and startup procedure and be good enough to fly it around, explore its limits, and land just fine. Diving into the radar next, then landing with the "synthetic runway", then working up to weapons.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing right now! It's a beautiful plane to fly and it's easy to fly at the limit. I'd recommend it for sure. It's still a bit rough around the edges but Razbam are already announcing updates coming soon 👍

I also found some really cool US Navy skins and I'm using some of them here - http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1679487/?sphrase_id=2408193

Desktop_2015_12_28_22_06_29_532.jpg
Desktop_2015_12_29_20_34_57_836.jpg
Desktop_2015_12_29_20_47_47_110.jpg
Desktop_2015_12_29_22_12_45_382.jpg

I had a nice little flight with a random group in a random server. I got to practice some formation flying too... it's a lot easier with the FBW model to keep it steady for me (on an MS Sidewinder II stick) and I actually kinda got the hang of it :D

Desktop_2015_12_30_23_49_07_263.jpg
Desktop_2015_12_31_00_49_56_426.jpg

Mirage selfie!!!

Desktop_2015_12_31_00_28_54_657.jpg
Desktop_2015_12_31_00_29_05_193.jpg

Aaaaaand we're ejecting

Desktop_2015_12_31_00_30_08_561.jpg

Have you tried air refueling Greg? I assume it's a bit easier than connecting to a boom..

I've actually never tried it. I'm not great at keeping a plane perfectly level and at a constant speed. Using a flight stick from the last century probably isn't helping. I'll give it a try though in the Mirage soon and post crash pics :P

They still haven't updated the Satellite map :(

Edit: I haven't played in a while, but have they updated runway textures?
2h6rp6t.jpg

Still waiting for 2.0 full release :bowdown:

Last edited:
Well I tried refueling...

Desktop_2016_01_03_15_45_17_252.jpg

And they wouldn't respond to my intent to refuel. I had my radios on and I'm pretty sure they were configured correctly, but idk. Whatever :lol: But I was able to keep it steady-ish behind him, however I'm having a hard time keeping airspeed constant.

View attachment 497757

And they wouldn't respond to my intent to refuel. I had my radios on and I'm pretty sure they were configured correctly, but idk. Whatever :lol: But I was able to keep it steady-ish behind him, however I'm having a hard time keeping airspeed constant.

I've searched for it and they are talking about it on the forums, it seems to be a known bug..

View attachment 497757

Why are the textures on that jet so low quality and blocky?

I've searched for it and they are talking about it on the forums, it seems to be a known bug..

Ah okay. Well that kinda sucks. Fuel doesn't last very long on the Mirage unless you equip these two huge drop tanks that look like tumors.

It's one of several planes that look like that unfortunately. I hope they update some of them in the near future because most of the planes that aren't flyable or most often used (tankers [besides the SB-3 pictured], AWACS, etc) look pretty bad.

So this weekend I finally dove into the radar and weaponry on the Mirage. Radar is weird because it can "scan" up to 80 miles out but most things don't appear until they're less than 40. And it doesn't want to hold a lock for very long. Might be user error but I'm not sure yet.

As for a2a, the radar-guided Super 530 kind of sucks. The effective range fluctuates wildly and you can't fire and forget. Sometimes the effective range is so little you're better off using the heat seakers. So if you're attacking a flight of 4 from the back, you have to lock and keep it locked in your HUD and be less than 4 or 5 miles out and maybe it won't just miss or fall short. Either way, you'll be sniffing their exhaust when they notice you're there.

Desktop_2016_01_03_13_37_46_014.jpg

-This shows how close I had to be to fire the Magic. Less than 5 miles out and I had to fire a second one because this first shot missed, even though I had the target in the circle the entire time. The drone I shot at didn't have any countermeasures.

But then dog fighting with the Magic IR missiles is a blast. The maneuverability is stellar and with those you can fire and forget. There's a bug though where the actual target reticle on the HUD isn't where the missile is looking for a lock, but you get used to it. And you can lock onto the sun :lol:

So for actual air to air purposes, the Mirage is... eh. It can only carry four a2a weapons and one of them only works in very certain scenarios. I'd much rather trust my life with an F-15C right up to the point where you're in a dog fight; but in that case, Mirage all the way.

I'd say wait for a sale before you get it ;)

It's a model from ~2003.

So this weekend I finally dove into the radar and weaponry on the Mirage. Radar is weird because it can "scan" up to 80 miles out but most things don't appear until they're less than 40. And it doesn't want to hold a lock for very long. Might be user error but I'm not sure yet

Detection range depends on target RCS. You usually won't see fighters at max radar range, but transports and bombers may appear (if they are not jamming).

As for a2a, the radar-guided Super 530 kind of sucks. The effective range fluctuates wildly and you can't fire and forget. Sometimes the effective range is so little you're better off using the heat seakers. So if you're attacking a flight of 4 from the back, you have to lock and keep it locked in your HUD and be less than 4 or 5 miles out and maybe it won't just miss or fall short. Either way, you'll be sniffing their exhaust when they notice you're there.
I think the range indicator is bugged. As for the missile itself, it has immense drag in game. Not sure if ED will change this in the future, but it looks very strange to see the missile slow down so hard after running out of fuel.

So for actual air to air purposes, the Mirage is... eh. It can only carry four a2a weapons and one of them only works in very certain scenarios. I'd much rather trust my life with an F-15C right up to the point where you're in a dog fight; but in that case, Mirage all the way.
Don't forget that the Mirage is a cheaper and earlier aircraft than the F-15C. It's more of a MiG-29A competitor; small, cheap, and fast. If you face off against the F-15, Su-27, or the MiG-29S, try to avoid going head to head.

Don't forget that the Mirage is a cheaper and earlier aircraft than the F-15C. It's more of a MiG-29A competitor; small, cheap, and fast. If you face off against the F-15, Su-27, or the MiG-29S, try to avoid going head to head.

Gotcha. Thanks for your help 👍 In one of the dev teaser videos they did show it going head to head against the Su27. I feel the maneuverability could give the Mirage at least a fighting chance. I've not gone up against anything better than a Mig21 so far though.

Yeah me too. I really miss it in the C. Must be fun too flying in the same aircraft. Not sure if you want me as WSO though :P I'll take every opportunity to get on your nerves ;)

The last time I went in an F15 after spending time in the Mirage it felt like I was on a 767 or something. So much real estate and you can only look at it :/ And as long as you don't eject us I'm sure it won't be too bad :lol:

And speaking of Mirage, I tested with the synthetic runway today. I first used it in good clear conditions but then really put it to the test with crap weather. It's so cool to fly through a low cloud layer and still see your runway.

Desktop_2016_01_06_21_34_57_471.jpg

The last time I went in an F15 after spending time in the Mirage it felt like I was on a 767 or something. So much real estate and you can only look at it :/ And as long as you don't eject us I'm sure it won't be too bad :lol:

And speaking of Mirage, I tested with the synthetic runway today. I first used it in good clear conditions but then really put it to the test with crap weather. It's so cool to fly through a low cloud layer and still see your runway.

View attachment 498786

Haha exactly!

Oh yeah that's really cool. Is that some sort of ILS?

Haha exactly!

Oh yeah that's really cool. Is that some sort of ILS?

Yep! Place a landing waypoint on the runway at an airfield that has ILS, dial into the ILS frequency with the thingamajig, go into the jet's approach mode, and that synthetic runway will appear when you're within 10 miles of the waypoint. It takes preparation but it's easy to use - even for me :D

bombs?

Did someone say......

BOMBS ON AN F15??

And multicrew.

/dead

F-16 please :)

Anyway, F-15E screenshots anybody? They are from 2012, I guess Razbam stopped the project until DCS got multiplayer cockpit done.
469269_391710870901121_1798248136_o.jpg

56894_358086587611319_1947637373_o.jpg

f-15-b_zps7dfcd521.jpg

176543_404567736282101_1759781212_o.jpg

550074_4354301293937_864169581_n.jpg

308772_4385734959759_563222865_n.jpg

Back