pCARS unplayable on a Dualshock??PS4 

This is what i've been dealing with:

For a quick look at the major problem skip to 3:25min at turn 3. The car gets loose and when i try to correct it snaps to other side like crazy!! And this is just a 1M... Imagine the Huayra or the P1. It's stupid... Plainly stupid.

Anyone knows what i can do to correct this? I am on on Mode 3, default settings... i've tried a few setups that i found here and even those can't help this problem... :(

I would like to enjoy this game but i just can't without a wheel and i can't justify to buy a wheel for this game because it has so many problems at the moment and i don't believe SMS will be able to fix them anytime soon. :( :(

Throttle control. Are you using a face button for throttle because you are doing nothing but stomping the gas pedal. That will not fly in pcars. Even with traction control on youre going to have issues.

Last edited:
swg
Have you tr

Throttle control. Are you using a face button for throttle because you are doing nothing but stomping the gas pedal. That will not fly in pcars. Even with traction control on youre going to have issues.
That is not throttle, as you can see he can catch slides. Its his steering deadzones/sensitivity that he is going to have to change. Its flying to opposite lock way to fast and and its registering his corrections way to fast. Coming from games that usually have control buffers, this is whats causing his problem.

For a quick look at the major problem skip to 3:25min at turn 3. The car gets loose and when i try to correct it snaps to other side like crazy!! And this is just a 1M... Imagine the Huayra or the P1. It's stupid... Plainly stupid.

Anyone knows what i can do to correct this? I am on on Mode 3, default settings... i've tried a few setups that i found here and even those can't help this problem... :(

I would like to enjoy this game but i just can't without a wheel and i can't justify to buy a wheel for this game because it has so many problems at the moment and i don't believe SMS will be able to fix them anytime soon. :( :(

The settings I use are:

Input Mode 3:
Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 5
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Throttle Sensitivity - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 15
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 55
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100

Which allows me to drive like this:

You will need to tweak a bit for your own taste, but its possible to control the car smoothly, but you do need to also be smooth with all your inputs.

The settings I use are:

Input Mode 3:
Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 5
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 15
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 55
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100

You will need to tweak a bit for your own taste, but its possible to control the car smoothly, but you do need to also be smooth with all your inputs.

I had to bump my steering deadzone up to about 20-30 just because I was used to the long swoops that Forza needed for turning :lol: Mine basically looks almost exactly the same except for throttle sensitivity.

That is not throttle, as you can see he can catch slides. Its his steering deadzones/sensitivity that he is going to have to change. Its flying to opposite lock way to fast and and its registering his corrections way to fast. Coming from games that usually have control buffers, this is whats causing his problem.
And if he stops stomping the throttle he'll be spending less time trying to catch slides and more time putting in good lap times. His sensitivities may need tweeked but when he gets into higher powered cars no sensitivity on the steering is going to save him.

swg
And if he stops stomping the throttle he'll be spending less time trying to catch slides and more time putting in good lap times. His sensitivities may need tweeked but when he gets into higher powered cars no sensitivity on the steering is going to save him.
Watch the telemetry, you can see that he is feathering the throttle, so I would assume that is not the case here. While the throttle deadzones and sensitivity should also be edited as its practically an on/off switch at default, you can tell that his problem is snap corrections caused by the default steering settings.

Are you using the left stick for steering and right stick for acceleration and braking ? This works great for me on PS4 using DS4 controller.

Watch the telemetry, you can see that he is feathering the throttle, so I would assume that is not the case here. While the throttle deadzones and sensitivity should also be edited as its practically an on/off switch at default, you can tell that his problem is snap corrections caused by the default steering settings.
What I see are plenty of small steering adjustments and he's applying too much power and tank slapping the car back and forth till he's forced to go full lock to try and correct. Feathering the throttle isn't effective if youre feathering from zero to full and spinning the tires every time you floor it.
People are too quick to blame steering sensitivity every time they lose the back end instead of working on driving technique. If sensitivity were really that much of an issue he wouldnt be catching slides at all. If you watch his steering input on telemetry you see him going into slides with no where near full lock. Then tank slapping till he loses it.

Last edited:
swg

Are you using the left stick for steering and right stick for acceleration and braking ? This works great for me on PS4 using DS4 controller.

I am using R2 L2 for throttle and brake and the left stick for steering...

swg

Believe me I'm REALYY feathering the throttle! It's not about that... it's the steering. :(

The settings I use are:

Input Mode 3:
Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 5
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 15
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 55
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100

I'm going to try your setup right now! I'll give some feedback in a while! Thanks ;)

swg
What I see are plenty of small steering adjustments and he's applying too much power and tank slapping the car back and forth till he's forced to go full lock to try and correct. Feathering the throttle isn't effective if youre feathering from zero to full and spinning the tires every time you floor it.
And with the steering settings at default, thats exactly how my car handled as well. Had to make small adjustments, but it still flew back and forth like crazy. He's not applying to much power, he feathers through the turns and applys at exit, its just that the steering inputs are registering way to fast so its throwing him off when he gets to a point where he should be straight. He's not tank slapping, the settings are way to sensitive. Like I mentioned, with default throttle settings the throttle is practically an off/on switch so that needs to be changed as well, but thats not the major problem here.

And with the steering settings at default, thats exactly how my car handled as well. Had to make small adjustments, but it still flew back and forth like crazy. He's not applying to much power, he feathers through the turns and applys at exit, its just that the steering inputs are registering way to fast so its throwing him off when he gets to a point where he should be straight. He's not tank slapping, the settings are way to sensitive. Like I mentioned, with default throttle settings the throttle is practically an off/on switch so that needs to be changed as well, but thats not the major problem here.
I agree to disagree. :)

Believe me I'm REALYY feathering the throttle! It's not about that... it's the steering. :(

I'm not seeing a lot of feathering of the throttle in that vid. You are either hard on the throttle or completely off it. That's going to make the car unstable no matter what. Your steering inputs also appear to be very jerky. As Scaff said you need to be smooth will all your inputs. You need to tease the car around the track by gently and smoothly affecting the forces acting on it with smooth changes in braking, acceleration and steering input.

I'm not seeing a lot of feathering of the throttle in that vid. You are either hard on the throttle or completely off it. That's going to make the car unstable no matter what. Your steering inputs also appear to be very jerky. As Scaff said you need to be smooth will all your inputs. You need to tease the car around the track by gently and smoothly affecting the forces acting on it with smooth changes in braking, acceleration and steering input.
On default settings, he's doing it as much as humanly possible if you ask me. With Scaff's settings, there shouldn't be an issue with the toggle like button set-up which is default.

Some people like to tap to turn on races, some do it smooth. Both can be achieved in this game. I tap and I run it pretty smooth too actually. I'm seeing him trying to approach a game that he's not used to, after being fed pad buffered games for so long. With some adjustments he can get it to where he needs it. The way the default settings work, seems like they where set-up for wheel users, rather than pads. After editing I was able to sort it out.

Going over his video again, you can tell that his problems are not from oversteering from hard throttle, its from correcting the minor oversteering he's having. The steering input is to fast, so when he corrects it launches to fast, and then he tries to correct that and it ends up just going back and forth like that.

Last edited:
It's definitely steering sensitivity issue because he has problems on some of the straight parts.

Changing my sensitivity cured this issue for me.

Don't get me wrong. I do sincerely hope that controller settings can help him control those slides and get around the track cleanly. It won't help him nearly as much in the long run as learning to get the car through corners without sliding to begin with though. You can see the rear tires lighting up and spinning all the time. I'd be curious to see the same lap with traction control turned on.

swg
Don't get me wrong. I do sincerely hope that controller settings can help him control those slides and get around the track cleanly. It won't help him nearly as much in the long run as learning to get the car through corners without sliding to begin with though. I'd be curious to see the same lap with traction control turned on.
I was having the same issues at first. Snap oversteer was too persistent and was too strong. Even on straights it was hard to align the car straight because every little tap would register too much of an input. Turns more often then not resulted in oversteering through the corner because the initial input was too strong and initiated way to fast, throwing the body sideways in the process. I think @Scaff's setting is a good starting point, and from there he can tweak it little by little. I'd also recommend throwing on opposite lock assistance as well, but he'd be able to determine if he needs that after he tries out new settings.

Last edited:
Guys look at the difference... I did not say anything until now because I took some time to adapt myself to the settings and to the game wich i couldn't do before as it was so bad.... It's the first time that i am able to start doing the later... ;)

This is the same setup that Scaff gave me in mode 3 with advanced settings off. I did not change anything...

The car is way more stable, i can slide and correct. I do spin sometimes but i'll work on it! ;)

Scaff thank you VERY much! I was starting to go nuts with the game... I can't buy and use a wheel so i had to get a way to play it on the DS4. All i need now is to learn the game and tweak the settings a bit for my driving style. ;)

Thank you all of you who helped me, really. :)

Cheers guys! ;)

Guys look at the difference... I did not say anything until now because I took some time to adapt myself to the settings and to the game wich i couldn't do before as it was so bad.... It's the first time that i am able to start doing the later... ;)

This is the same setup that Scaff gave me in mode 3 with advanced settings off. I did not change anything...

The car is way more stable, i can slide and correct. I do spin sometimes but i'll work on it! ;)

Scaff thank you VERY much! I was starting to go nuts with the game... I can't buy and use a wheel so i had to get a way to play it on the DS4. All i need now is to learn the game and tweak the settings a bit for my driving style. ;)

Cheers guys! ;)

Glad to see you've got it all sorted out now! I understand completely how frustrating it was :lol:

Cheers guys! ;)

It's not that it's impossible to lap a good time. It's that you have to struggle with the analog, to move it perfectly and always make corrections... It's hard to explain... I guess we just need to wait for the update - Xbone's gamepad controlling is fixed so we'll see 💡

I felt and to some extent still do feel your pain. Lucky to have a community willing to share and help. I found controller setting that got me around Imola and now Watkins Glen. Of course the final exam will be Nurburgring.

But what helped equally as much was using the suspension settings to tame the car and smooth the driving dynamics. Also I always use hard racing tires. That keeps me driving on the edge and teaches me more control.
My only driving aid is ABS.

I am by no means a expert driver. But I am able to make it around and improve. I have to say that the only way to play PCars and GT for that matter is with a wheel. Because even after all the adjustment mad for the controller, there is still the issue of losing the car due to over correction. In the end there is still a twitchy nature to the DS4 control.

I plan on having a wheel by Christmas. But until then I'll work with the DS4. I will not race with others until I know I can control the cars I choose to drive. And who knows, maybe SMS will revise the sensitivity of the PS4 controller.
I do know that this is a very good game. And I really like the setup options and adjustments. What is special about this game is those adjustments work and can be felt.

I would like to map gas and brake to the triggers on the controller. But no matter how hard I try, my fingers wont use those keys in the correct manner. Too many years playing GT with a controller. I mapped the controller to mimic GT.
Gas is X and brake is O. L1 down shift, R1 upshift. Left stick is steering. Right stick is PCars default.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to map gas and brake to the triggers on the controller. But no matter how hard I try, my fingers wont use those keys in the correct manner. Too many years playing GT with a controller. I mapped the controller to mimic GT.
Gas is X and brake is O. L1 down shift, R1 upshift. Left stick is steering. Right stick is PCars default.

After 30+ years using buttons to accelerate and brake in racing games I had the same problem at first. However, the L2 and R2 triggers on the DS4 work very well for racing and are designed a lot better than they were on the old Sony controllers. I find them to be a lot more comfortable, intuitive and immersive than the X and O buttons. Can't go back to buttons for accelerating and braking, now.

Last edited:
I have been using input mode 3 with no changes and it has been pretty solid. There are a few issues with the higher powered car and getting on the throttle. This is to be expected really, to aid things I have added a little traction control.

I am using the L2/R2 for throttle/brskes which is new to me as a ps3 player on gt6 using x and square.

Haven't tried out the formula A yet, bet that's going to be a nightmare

@Scaff

I like your settings for post patch 1.3. on the Xbox one.

When using default controller setting 3 the controller is way to sensitive for me. I can hardly move the joypad and inch before the car overstear like crazy.

After using your settings its much better.

One thing I am curious about is does anyone know what is the diference between the deault options 1-3.

I tryed your ( Scaff's) setting with default profile 1, but those where not good eather.

For some reasons it has to be tweaked from default option 3.

So there must be some hidden diferences in default settings 1-3 the users cant see ?

Still amazed that some people are having so much trouble. I was looking through the time trial leaderboards last night and a lot of the top times are set with a controller...

Still amazed that some people are having so much trouble. I was looking through the time trial leaderboards last night and a lot of the top times are set with a controller...

I think for a lot of people with 'controller issues' are struggling to adapt from gt6. This game takes a little time to get used to, but once you do it is much easier to understand what the car is doing and is very intuitive.

On gt6 I found that most cars of roughly the same type, felt identical through the game pad but on project cars they are all unique and require you to get to grips with them first before you start hot lapping.

@Scaff

I like your settings for post patch 1.3. on the Xbox one.

When using default controller setting 3 the controller is way to sensitive for me. I can hardly move the joypad and inch before the car overstear like crazy.

After using your settings its much better.

One thing I am curious about is does anyone know what is the diference between the deault options 1-3.

I tryed your ( Scaff's) setting with default profile 1, but those where not good eather.

For some reasons it has to be tweaked from default option 3.

So there must be some hidden diferences in default settings 1-3 the users cant see ?

Yes, they have stated that the different profiles also effect things like dead zone and response curve. What effect's they have exactly isn't specified but most people seem to prefer mode 3.

Does anyone one know if the Lotus 49 can be driven decent on a pad or is just a wheel only car or just a difficult car to drive in general?

I've put my T100 wheel away for now, put a prior decade worth of sim racing (with assorted Logitech wheels) temporarily behind me, and fully embraced a slightly different way of getting a lot of fun out of Project cars.

- DS4 (works wonderfully smooth with some of my favourite car classes like GT3 and LMP). Mapped acceleration/braking to the right stick, as to me that feels more comfortable for long play sessions than holding in the triggers.
- Hood cam or even chase cam (I've never really used chase cam before even in arcade racers, but seeing the cars side by side and exactly how precisely I take a corner is pretty cool. I just pretend I'm controlling remote controlled cars rather than sitting in a virtual car. Also get a different view than I'm used to of the car and track visuals).
- Still driving aids turned off or set to real.

Back