Penalty System Changes Are On The Way to GT Sport This Week

To me this is good.. Too many races in the past few weeks where someone love taps me going into the inside and ends up getting a pointless 10 sec. Penalty.

Now I can actually race and not worry so much about getting 5-10 seconds for breathing on someone's bumper.

Contact is inevitable at some point, but to get 10 seconds for stupid things like someone brake checking you into a corner, (which btw didn't hinder their line at all so they got a second I got 10) I greatly welcome this update.

Also, off-topic, what track is that picture of? Is that the new track?

These changes are all well and good until someone gets spun by a light tap and goes off on one because the penalties aren't strict enough! Couple updated later, penalties are strict again - "penalties are too strict!" - PD relaxes them... and repeat!

This is exactly what I was about to say.

Seems like GTPlanet is on a bit of a vicious cycle with opinions of penalties.

Rubbing is Racing??? But only in DTM :) I'm looking forward to this update but I'm not sure if it will improve the experience. By the way People with a DR of A or A+ are not driving cleaner than Guys with a B or Whatever rating, they are only faster. The only important Mark is the SR: S. I saw so many races of the top guys which aren't cleaner than others.

Tinkering with this faulty system, which is based upon insufficient analysis then some algorythmical magic - I don't expect any reasonable change, just some difference. I'm afraid they just playing with the virtual knobs again, a little more here, a little less there, and let's see... I wish I am wrong.

I did some test on a custom race.
I put damages to strong and when you rear bump someone really strong, it really damaged your car, you really go slower and it doesn’t disappear... you need to pit to fix it.
They should definitely introduce it.
And again, they should introduce black flags after 3 penalties in one race.

DR-S. SR-S

I did some test on a custom race.
I put damages to strong and when you rear bump someone really strong, it really damaged your car, you really go slower and it doesn’t disappear... you need to pit to fix it.
They should definitely introduce it.
And again, they should introduce black flags after 3 penalties in one race.

DR-S. SR-S

Damage is not the answer, if the car behind suffers bigger damage than the one in front, especially if the lead car gets none, then the idiots will brake check more than now and ruin an innocent driver's race. If they suffer similar amounts of damage then idiots will still crash or do risky moves, as at worse it'll ruin both their races and maybe they'll get away with it, just as some do now with the penalties in place.

This doesn't even cover all the incidents that only happen because of lag, it'd be quite possible then that someone could lag into another car, crash that car off, get it critical damage and not actually touch it all on their screen getting them zero damage anyway, it's best to properly fix current problems than just cause others with a poor attempt at a "fix". (Ghost cars because of people serving penalties in dumb places now means you can drive through un-ghosted cars sometimes for example).

I know that people wanted more contact but I can only see this increasing the frequency of dive bombing. The notes state nothing about dive bombing or barge passing, so sticking your nose in on the inside still appears to be a valid tactic that will now have less consequences.

Had they created a penalty for dive bombing then this fix would have been great but under the current paradigm we're really just toggling how hard we want to get away with hitting each other.

I'm not concerned one way or the other, I'll adjust my driving to deal with it, but I foresee people having to run insanely defensive lines (hogging up the middle of the track and braking early while eating up the entire apex) to protect their apex, which means that leading packs will be slower and easier to catch.

...but to get 10 seconds for stupid things like someone brake checking you into a corner...

Brake checking while going into a corner?

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, do you mean that a lead car heading into a turn brakes early and you consider that a brake check?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they are looking at the penalty system.
making light contact ok doesn't seem like a fix to me, but, at least they are looking at it.
I'm with @BallPtPenTheif ...
I have been moved off line and lost a position by virtually no contact, and, am pretty sure I am capable of doing the same to others.

Please make penalties carry to the end, or served in pit... not on track.
Please fix or, preferably, remove ghosting.
Please remove hand of the almighty... aka being magically placed back on track.

For those that want very clean racing (remember P1.13) there is a problem... we are the minority... and the rubbing is racing crowd is large and loud.

I'm ok with being taken out if a car wrecks in front of me, and I've not anticipated/adjusted/reacted... that's racing.
I'm not ok with being moved out of the way.. especially when that individual is unable to pull away, or, worse, only to be held up.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, do you mean that a lead car heading into a turn brakes early and you consider that a brake check?

Sorry but not every car has the same braking point and stability in a curve. When the car in front likes or need to brake earlier then the car behind need to deal with such an issue. And dealing with such an issue don't mean to check the car in front.

I understand all these concerns about increased divebombing, but here’s the thing, it happens all the time anyway. If it’s going to happen to me, I would prefer if I didn’t get a penalty for it at least. Especially if I’m DR.A and the person bombing is DR.B. The way it is now, it’s common to receive a penalty for getting divebombed, but the bomber gets nothing except a gained position over a guy who now has to serve his penalty. It’s an effort towards progress and I like it. Let’s see how it goes.

Sorry but not every car has the same braking point and stability in a curve. When the car in front likes or need to brake earlier then the car behind need to deal with such an issue. And dealing with such an issue don't mean to check the car in front.

Sorry, but I was simply asking questions to Manasseh257NSX, and I actually never made any claim about brake checking as I'm trying to decipher what specific scenario he was referring to.

I understand all these concerns about increased divebombing, but here’s the thing, it happens all the time anyway. If it’s going to happen to me, I would prefer if I didn’t get a penalty for it at least. Especially if I’m DR.A and the person bombing is DR.B. The way it is now, it’s common to receive a penalty for getting divebombed, but the bomber gets nothing except a gained position over a guy who now has to serve his penalty. It’s an effort towards progress and I like it. Let’s see how it goes.
Yep. This annoys me greatly when it happens. Get divebombed and moved off the racing line via contact and the instigator gets nothing for it.

Great point and I don't mean to be negative. Definitely, I'm happy that drivers over DRA are now being treated fairly. That nonsense alone probably got rid of a large number of players. So hopefully many higher ranked drivers will be back.

I see your point on the dive bombing but my defensive strategy was to draw fouls from dive bombers so that they'd get hit with the penalty. I would let them take the apex and then run 2 wide around the corner. If they dive bombed, then they can't hold the inside and will ram me, drawing a penalty for themselves. As long as I didn't turn in on them while they were beside me and I only moved outward from the apex, then I never got hit with a penalty.

This change could possibly make it difficult for me to use that tactic now, as that penalty served as a deterrent and they would back off subsequent dive bomb attempts. It's a small concern though as clearly this tactic didn't work for anyone who was DR A or higher.

Braking way before the braking zone yes. I am well aware that everyone has different braking points and I take that into account when catching someone's draft. However, there is a braking zone where everyone's brake points would be at. If you brake 100m before that zone, I'm not going to be able to react in time because I am not expecting one to brake THAT early BEFORE we even get into the braking zone for said corner.

Define rubbing..

Rubbing is part of what? where does this come from, often the slightest of touches of the wall or from other cars causes mayhem, the touches you are talking about must be very very gentle. What i have seen considered "rubbing" here were more like full contact with instant paypack outside the walled garden of make believe racing..

What we needed wasn´t less punishment, just that it was more fair and was better at punishing those that could not drive clean..

Off topic, but the FFB at 53 seconds! :eek: insane!

I know its off topic....but.....The most important question is when they will implement real classes like GT3 and GT4. This childish Gr. 3 and Gr.4 has nothing to do with real live racing. It's so boring to race against a Bugatti or any other car which don't belong into racing. Everybody knows that Bugatti don't race they are only a Supercar or Hypercar for rich people but not Racecars. Besides the lack of real race tracks this is the most important change they should add. I hate nothing more when I race a 911RSR and you get overtaken by a Subaru or a VW or whatever. I mean com' on this is not possible in real live when you hit full throttle in a 911RSR.

What??? I wanted them much harsher. People keep punting me off in chicanes while im in third place in the FIA races they dont get penalized they finish in third and i finish in position 12!!! Explain your reasoning... this is clearly punishing clean (and patient) drivers. It will create more contact! I dont get it guys...

Hi. I couldn't agree more with you. They should penalise the car that does the hitting. ...not the car that gets hit. Softening the penalties is just going to make the delinquent races abuse things more.
I have had pole many a times and get wacked into gravel traps on the 1st corner and land up 12 or 13 and then perp gets a good 1st or 3rd.

Without a 'return position' penalty for contact by the trailing car that results in a gain of position, this seesaw of too tight and too loose penalties will continue forever.

This is the ONLY thing that will clean up online racing. Take away any advantage from contacting the car ahead, position-wise, and online immediately gets much better. It's what made online clean rooms in GT5/6 work.

I hate nothing more when I race a 911RSR and you get overtaken by a Subaru or a VW or whatever. I mean com' on this is not possible in real live when you hit full throttle in a 911RSR.

upload_2018-7-11_1-42-13.jpeg

Back