PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I can not help myself thinking everyone being promoted to S rating something to do with GT7?
How I mean, why would PD release a new game with big numbers of people not thinking themselves a top, or at least a safe driver? If you make it seem everyone is 'good' would that mean more sales of GT7? And the opposite, many people would, perhaps, give up on the game and go elsewhere.
From a business perspective, its all about number of games sold, right?
Once they have your money, do they really care what opinions people might have.

I doubt it. The sensitivity of what triggers a penalty seems to swing back and forth like a pendulum. (At least it has since I've been playing.) It got ratcheted up to super sensitive, so they then swung it all the way over to the other extreme. They've done this at least once before, if not twice.

Once they have your money, do they really care what opinions people might have.
Normally in business, yeah. But obviously they do care as evidenced by the addition of single player content after release and the continuing FIA races, plus a Toyota series with "new" cars.

The most recent change to the SR is not new. It was like this or close to it at some point before. And I don't think the number of players increased because of it.

All I'm reading here is
giphy.gif

At least I don't lose my SR!

That's what it has come to with GT Sport, try to make the best of it, it still can and probably will get worse. Nowadays I just look at the upcoming races, relieved it's nothing I'll really miss and keep on playing FS2020 exclusively :/

This, you need to have 50K DR for slightly civilized races (where some people will give the position back after still ruining your 3 lap sprint race) and not be to fussed about getting pushed out of the way cause rubbing is racing, not for me.

Anyway it's probably not long anymore before the pendulum swings back. By June the strict penalties are usually back in full swing, followed by heavy SR deductions until everyone is back in SR.B and DR is back to being a random number due to all the resets. Enjoy the 'stability' for now!

This, you need to have 50K DR for slightly civilized races (where some people will give the position back after still ruining your 3 lap sprint race) and not be to fussed about getting pushed out of the way cause rubbing is racing, not for me.

You only need above about 25k and a good q to get matched into top rooms on NA. That said, you have a point.
But, for me this current system is a big improvement over the soul crushing stupid needless sr down or penalty for the slightest micro rubs.
I dunno maybe the system oughta be stricter the lower a players rank.
Thing is if they did do that beginning and average players might get really frustrated.
Maybe only at first, the bottom line is once you get to the better races, it’s better to let the players handle things themselves.
Better that than seesaw ratings and animosity over the needless sr downs and pens.
Strict could work at lower dr ratings. Bottom line is there’s definitely a certain threshold of skill required to get matched with others who race clean.
On NA B dr is what it is. It’s a broad broad mix so racing can vary one race to the next plus given the times people are running, dive attempts are almost valid. It IS possible to make moves with the say group 3 against mid B because of the pace.
I dunno, before when they toned down penalties play improved also, in the upper rooms like now.
It’s cleaner because guys know others can revenge and not lose sr.

A race though from the sound of it has been awful this week.
I think less tolerance to contact might be a way forward in mid tier lobbies for the average player.

If the system was more strict at mid tier, the average player would have assurance they could go online and not get smashed like Forza.
With upper rooms though there’s just no need for the hindrance caused by an overzealous penalty system. It just causes less people to enter, more animosity etc

All I'm reading here is
giphy.gif

At least I don't lose my SR!

That's what it has come to with GT Sport, try to make the best of it, it still can and probably will get worse. Nowadays I just look at the upcoming races, relieved it's nothing I'll really miss and keep on playing FS2020 exclusively :/

Anyway it's probably not long anymore before the pendulum swings back. By June the strict penalties are usually back in full swing, followed by heavy SR deductions until everyone is back in SR.B and DR is back to being a random number due to all the resets. Enjoy the 'stability' for now!
Since it obviously is impossible for PD to design a penalty system that enforces clean driving and they couldn't be bothered to teach players anything about racing apart from an abstract "don't make yourself look bad" this is probably the best we can get. We had the same system/lack of system last Christmas and a month or two after that and apart from this version it was the cleanest racing I have had in my time in GTS.
So shared fault or this is the best I think they can handle
And I don't think shared fault is making a comeback...

You only need above about 25k and a good q to get matched into top rooms on NA. That said, you have a point.
But, for me this current system is a big improvement over the soul crushing stupid needless sr down or penalty for the slightest micro rubs.
I dunno maybe the system oughta be stricter the lower a players rank.
Thing is if they did do that beginning and average players might get really frustrated.
Maybe only at first, the bottom line is once you get to the better races, it’s better to let the players handle things themselves.
Better that than seesaw ratings and animosity over the needless sr downs and pens.
Strict could work at lower dr ratings. Bottom line is there’s definitely a certain threshold of skill required to get matched with others who race clean.
On NA B dr is what it is. It’s a broad broad mix so racing can vary one race to the next plus given the times people are running, dive attempts are almost valid. It IS possible to make moves with the say group 3 against mid B because of the pace.
I dunno, before when they toned down penalties play improved also, in the upper rooms like now.
It’s cleaner because guys know others can revenge and not lose sr.

A race though from the sound of it has been awful this week.
I think less tolerance to contact might be a way forward in mid tier lobbies for the average player.

If the system was more strict at mid tier, the average player would have assurance they could go online and not get smashed like Forza.
With upper rooms though there’s just no need for the hindrance caused by an overzealous penalty system. It just causes less people to enter, more animosity etc

Indeed, I'm afraid the current situation is the best PD can deliver :/ It has always been, punish the higher skilled players more than the lower tiers. A dogma PD won't get away from. Thus no penalties are better than the lower skilled bringing the higher skilled player's SR down, if only by accident or by simply racing the way they have been taught to race by the much more lenient penalty system in lower tiers.

Time of day and day of the week play a giant role as well how clean races are. It's a narrow window where you can find good races, right time, right combo, right DR range. The big advantage of no (or hardly) any penalties is much better matchmaking. No more DR resets and yoyo SR at least puts people with similar win/lose ratios together. (I don't want to say pace as the current system rewards the rubbing is racing crowd more than the fastest and most technical drivers)

Anyway, player numbers are stable, mostly driven by the ongoing pandemic maybe (another 4 week stay at home order ugh) so why mess with it. I just hope GT7 will have a completely new SR/DR system based on actual racing rules, with racing license tests to teach the basics of corner rights, accepted moves and when to yield.

Indeed, I'm afraid the current situation is the best PD can deliver :/ It has always been, punish the higher skilled players more than the lower tiers. A dogma PD won't get away from. Thus no penalties are better than the lower skilled bringing the higher skilled player's SR down, if only by accident or by simply racing the way they have been taught to race by the much more lenient penalty system in lower tiers.

Time of day and day of the week play a giant role as well how clean races are. It's a narrow window where you can find good races, right time, right combo, right DR range. The big advantage of no (or hardly) any penalties is much better matchmaking. No more DR resets and yoyo SR at least puts people with similar win/lose ratios together. (I don't want to say pace as the current system rewards the rubbing is racing crowd more than the fastest and most technical drivers)

Anyway, player numbers are stable, mostly driven by the ongoing pandemic maybe (another 4 week stay at home order ugh) so why mess with it. I just hope GT7 will have a completely new SR/DR system based on actual racing rules, with racing license tests to teach the basics of corner rights, accepted moves and when to yield.

Stay well man :)!
I do hope they fix it better!
Not much longer for this dang lockdown bs! Hang in there!

PD turned the penalty system off or what?

I just had a B race and nobody ever got a single penalty. A guy brake checked me repeatedly...nothing. So when he was in front of me at the last corner of the race I smashed him out of the track to retaliate (I never usually do, but I was so angry).. And I got absolutely nothing either.
Well, I finally made my own justice without the stupid unfair penalty system getting in the way. It feels good.

Last edited:
I just hope GT7 will have a completely new SR/DR system based on actual racing rules, with racing license tests to teach the basics of corner rights, accepted moves and when to yield.

Here is my oppinion. GT7 will be a GTS with nicer look (4K and so on) and a little GT4 flair (perhaps with offline championchip races). There will be no improvemet in penalty system. They are struggling since over 3 years and its not because of less CPU Power for penalty system on the PS4 or their servers or wherever. Its because PD is stubborn and reacts to community way to late or not at all. They try to ride a dead horse. If I need to turn to complete opposites each time again and again in order to trying to regulate a system, I have to realize that there is something completely wrong.

I agree, this currently is the best they can do; turning it off and just keeping the track limit penaltys. In my oppnion, the true path would have been to keep it strict (or shared penaltys like iRacing) and ban the worst players for an amount of time until they get tired of creating accounts.
Because PD needs to keep even the worst players in the game (but ignores the fact they lose many more good ones by doing that).

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed being matched with this guy today in upper lobbies
F441FFE9-40C3-48A9-8AB0-F770C223F692.jpeg

This guy should never be matched with anyone trying to play clean, but hey great pen system

The penalty / SR system is complete trash!

I'm not the perfect driver and once in a while I'll accidentally squeezed someone off the track on a corner to avoid losing grip or not anticipated a driver breaking early and then punting them across the track. When that happens - I'm shocked I'm not penalized.

Unless I'm able to score a podium start, it becomes a simulation for a Mad Max game. Nearly half the racers are trying to knock everyone else out. Even when I play supper careful, get out of their driving line, provide gap and slow down; I still fall victim of the ruthless mayhem (Regardless of my DR - the experience is bad). Everyone seems to have an S-SR rating these days.

While I have some patients in the daily races for this aggressive behavior, during the FIA races, it's can be a moral killer. I'm not a fan of practicing hard, being super careful to avoid any contact, placing top 3 throughout the race and then getting rammed or punted 1 to 3 laps before the end of a 17 lap race. This happened twice. The other two races I wasn't fortunate enough to push up the latter as I was victim much earlier in the race or I screwed up. The aggressive players seem to be rewarded with a decent finish and I'm at the back of the pack by the end of the race.

While you can't solve human maturity or lack of bad decision making, I do think GT Sport or at least GT7 should address their risk/reward system. It's encouraging reckless driving these days and I'm feeling discouraged at this point.

The simple fix - any contact that changes the trajectory of another car should affect your SR rating! I'm not asking for changes on the timing of the on-track penalties necessarily but what's the point of everyone having a perfect SR rating? Should they consider a heavier damage model/simulation to encourage fear of ending the race upon impact potentially? Should a racer be disqualified/removed for the amount of penalties in a single race? Should they avoid races where pit stops are required to avoid reshuffling the order of players?

So, I just finished a race C (the Tokyo/McLaren combo) where I tried to test this iteration of the penalty system. And I mean I really tested it (i.e. I was a real dirty mother:censored:). Nobody got to overtake me, if you know what I mean. The 🤬 I had done would have sent me to SR 1 two months ago. I finished with 95. Just WOW. Is this really the best PD can do? A penalty for even looking at another car or no penalty for completely ending someone's race. Is there nothing in between? I'm really curious about GT7 and its penalty system. Is it going to be the exact same thing all over again or have they actually been working on it and made it work? I guess we'll know in a couple of years. What we have right now is just not good enough.

So, I just finished a race C (the Tokyo/McLaren combo) where I tried to test this iteration of the penalty system. And I mean I really tested it (i.e. I was a real dirty mother:censored:). Nobody got to overtake me, if you know what I mean. The 🤬 I had done would have sent me to SR 1 two months ago. I finished with 95. Just WOW. Is this really the best PD can do? A penalty for even looking at another car or no penalty for completely ending someone's race. Is there nothing in between? I'm really curious about GT7 and its penalty system. Is it going to be the exact same thing all over again or have they actually been working on it and made it work? I guess we'll know in a couple of years. What we have right now is just not good enough.
I predict we will be back at strict after the update Tuesday

It's been like that the last couple of years. Super strict/almost off/strict/super strict/almost off and so on.
My memory isn't good. Have they been turning it off for off-seasons between FIA races and then switching them on again when they start? Not sure if it's a pattern that I didn't notice before or if there's no correlation.

My memory isn't good. Have they been turning it off for off-seasons between FIA races and then switching them on again when they start? Not sure if it's a pattern that I didn't notice before or if there's no correlation.

Maybe PD turned it off for the upcoming Olympic e-sports event. They'll use real stewards I imagine, can't have the penalty system interfere with practice.

They turned it off at Christmas 2019, then back on in mid February so that's partial in correlation with the FIA season.

It's back on again with a vengeance! Must have been what the maintenance was for, just did a Daily Race B and pretty much the entire lobby picked up penalties, including me slapped with 2s for a light brush when getting past a Mitsubishi slow through the esses.

Race A will be a conundrum for me. If I go in and stay clean, chances are I will get hit off.
If I stay clean I get frustration.
If I play according to the current system others will be angry at me.
Lol I entered race C last night in the 787b.
Yeah it doesn’t seem competitive vs the full field of the Yota.
Funny thing was a Canadian punted me pretty hard, even though he’s in a car that’s waaay superior.
Very late in the race he slowed for some reason so I spun him off by ramming.
I was unable to finish and got timed out.
I can’t run the gr1 the cockpits are unusable number one and number 2 the Toyota drives like a dump truck. I may purchase a Peugeot and try but at any rate it’s the same as A race.
Under these rules if I stay clean odds are I get obliterated.
I’m going full Ben Rumson again if I enter...

It's back on again with a vengeance! Must have been what the maintenance was for, just did a Daily Race B and pretty much the entire lobby picked up penalties, including me slapped with 2s for a light brush when getting past a Mitsubishi slow through the esses.

We'll see if the SR starts sorting itself out in the next couple days.

Race A will be a conundrum for me. If I go in and stay clean, chances are I will get hit off.
If I stay clean I get frustration.
If I play according to the current system others will be angry at me.
Lol I entered race C last night in the 787b.
Yeah it doesn’t seem competitive vs the full field of the Yota.
Funny thing was a Canadian punted me pretty hard, even though he’s in a car that’s waaay superior.
Very late in the race he slowed for some reason so I spun him off by ramming.
I was unable to finish and got timed out.
I can’t run the gr1 the cockpits are unusable number one and number 2 the Toyota drives like a dump truck. I may purchase a Peugeot and try but at any rate it’s the same as A race.
Under these rules if I stay clean odds are I get obliterated.
I’m going full Ben Rumson again if I enter...

I guess he punted you by mistake? The brakes in the 787b are nothing like the TS050. And maybe he slowed down to let you pass because he ran you off?

Last edited:
I guess he punted you by mistake? The brakes in the 787b are nothing like the TS050. And maybe he slowed down to let you pass because he ran you off?

No he punted me and rammed others and got punted himself to last and that’s the only reason I caught him.
It doesn’t matter at all. I am just going to practice a bit more before entering these races.

Back