PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I want to hear from the 27 people that think it's amazing! Lol
I want to hear from you what you think of the outcome. Looking at all the hate threads here “only” 55% agrees with you. While we all know the complainers are front-row complaining. That does not sound like a big defeat or major victory. The half likes it the other half doesnt. Just as life.

When drivers get too close as they are faster than me or I feel they are on a different strategy, I let them go by and focus on my race. I trust myself more than I trust other players. I usually end up ahead of them through smart strategy and avoid the costly penalties that could have come my way if I had tried defending too hard. You get to know everyone's behaviour after some time so you know who you can trust and who is a real hazard on track. Mistakes happen and I make them sometimes. I think the penalties are great but sometimes the SR impact is weirdly too big and extremely inconsistent...

Last edited:
It's a game...
It's got a semi flawed penalty system, and sure, there are definitively bad drivers. The key factor about me saying this is...
It's just a game. As much as you want it to be, GT sport will never be the fairest of the fair racing game as, it's primary goal is to provide enjoyment to a wide variety of people. If you'd like to stop complaining about penalties, I'd recommend three things: 1. Drive extremely carefully and cautiously. 2. Find a league on say... A Gran Turismo Forum such as this one. 3. Switch games. If you really want a competitive experience, switch to say.. Rfactor 2 or Assetto Corsa... Anyways, those are just my two cents.
Actually, make this three cents.
You could always just race again. It's only DR and SR. Just build it up again! Push yourself that extra mile to be better than the rest!

The thing you overlook is that PD calls it a "driving simulator" not "just a game" There are actually people who take it quite serious, if a person races clean they expect to be raced clean. If it was meant to be "just a game" why did PD waste time on the etiquette videos, penalty system, and DR/SR ranking system? You do realize that the World Challenge thing is supposedly happening (or whatever it was called) Someones "rules do not apply to me" attitude could knock someone out of the competition for those spots. Same goes for the people that have several thousands of dollars invested in their driving set up. I can appreciate why there are people who are not amused with the antics of someone who says "it's just a game" Kind of the same with real racing and guy gets tee'd off about something and someone says "it's just a hobby" Everytime he goes out to race he is hauling around an operation down the interstate that would by a pretty big shiny house in the suburbs.

The worst thing about the penalties is allowing people to serve them on track, there are just too many ignoramuses in the lobbies for that.

If it was up to me, it would not be as harsh about contact but you would have to serve the penalty in the pits if you got one, or take a larger time penalty by finishing the race without serving it.

The thing you overlook is that PD calls it a "driving simulator" not "just a game" There are actually people who take it quite serious, if a person races clean they expect to be raced clean. If it was meant to be "just a game"....

I see I was wrong.
Yikes. I was way off. Well ahh, I'll just ahh, go ahead and redact what I said...

I was on the verge of being Dr A & Sr S.
After less than 10 races at the weekend and constantly being hit from the side or punted from the rear and subsequently now racing with even worse drivers and being hit x10 than before, I am now D E!!!

I don't know what it was on Sunday but check my stats on Kudosprime and the exact same thing happened to me.... for some reason the races became a crap shoot of people pushing and barging, penalties handed out left right and centre and boom I'm down to D/D .... :(

I definitely thing that your conclusion is amazingly brilliant!!!!! Is just like saying .. "I smoke for 20 years tobacco (two full packets) per day, and have never caught cancer... "

Not at all, you're just not capable of stepping back and getting some perspective on this whole thing. I'm not trying to marginalize anyone's complaints here, I'm just trying to give a sense of perspective. I mean fine, GT's rating system is trash... so where else are you going to race on a console system?

The only reason Forza is even implementing their rating system is because their niche player base has seen it in GT and they think that Forza can do it better. That's an amazing change of direction for the genre and that's due to PD.

I think some people are being way too obtuse with the penalty system. It is AI based. It follows a general set of rules and that's about it. Y'all want some sort of evolving AI that can evolve and somehow make the correct call? c'mon now.

The general rules are *WRONG*. It doesn't need to evolve it just needs correct implementation to begin with. We are't asking for an infallible system, just a fairer one that does not unfairly penalise innocent players.

It's a game...
It's got a semi flawed penalty system, and sure, there are definitively bad drivers. The key factor about me saying this is...
It's just a game. As much as you want it to be, GT sport will never be the fairest of the fair racing game as, it's primary goal is to provide enjoyment to a wide variety of people. If you'd like to stop complaining about penalties, I'd recommend three things: 1. Drive extremely carefully and cautiously. 2. Find a league on say... A Gran Turismo Forum such as this one. 3. Switch games. If you really want a competitive experience, switch to say.. Rfactor 2 or Assetto Corsa... Anyways, those are just my two cents.
Actually, make this three cents.
You could always just race again. It's only DR and SR. Just build it up again! Push yourself that extra mile to be better than the rest!

"Semi"??? It´s more like... 10% of it works... sometimes... (Contact detection, and limits of track violation)...but that is the BASIC .. like you´ve started a software routine and wrote 2 lines of it.. and said to yourself. that´s enough. they don´t deserve any more... let´s cash in the money. .and let them cry for more..."

Stop complaining?? Whit so many flaws in this issue?? Come on man!! It´s like saying that "if you seen somebody getting murdered in front you, just shut up, look the other side and carry on whistling, cause you re alive, and be happy that it was´nt you!! Next will be mass murder but no TV Channel will show it on the News, cause it´s just life and ordinary Mankind issues!!"

I think some people are being way too obtuse with the penalty system. It is AI based. It follows a general set of rules and that's about it. Y'all want some sort of evolving AI that can evolve and somehow make the correct call? c'mon now.

More or less that is the issue!!! AI programing/learning... but seem that PD is not interested. in ..Intelligence... maybe.. AI with some learning would easily become more Intelligent them some of the Developers...

The general rules are *WRONG*. It doesn't need to evolve it just needs correct implementation to begin with. We are't asking for an infallible system, just a fairer one that does not unfairly penalise innocent players.

Yep.. I would be perfectly happy if just that would be truly and correctly implemented with at least 60% of correct validation on those situations... that and a different way to serve time penalties, as for on each lap you have to serve them entering at the end of that lap on pit, and on last lap the penalization would not be served.. it would simply add to your total final race time!

Again, this is straight up impossible. That's like asking a blind man to solve a puzzle. The AI follows a general rule set that is designed to simply "guess" who is at fault. Generally the guy at the back gets a more severe penalty when punting the car in front, but then again -- brake checking would negate that. How would an AI know which was it?

@Mirror_man You're talking about an evolving self adapting AI? That is something a Multi Billion dollar co-operation like Google still hasn't perfected.

The only reason Forza is even implementing their rating system is because their niche player base has seen it in GT and they think that Forza can do it better. That's an amazing change of direction for the genre and that's due to PD.

People have been asking Turn 10 for a rating system long before GTS came out, I was one of them before I quit that game. The only reason it's being implemented is because FM has built a reputation for having the worst multiplayer lobbies. I could not imagine this penalty system in a Forza Motorsport public lobby, I think I would rather just uninstall the game.

Again, this is straight up impossible. That's like asking a blind man to solve a puzzle. The AI follows a general rule set that is designed to simply "guess" who is at fault. Generally the guy at the back gets a more severe penalty when punting the car in front, but then again -- brake checking would negate that. How would an AI know which was it?

@Mirror_man You're talking about an evolving self adapting AI? That is something a Multi Billion dollar co-operation like Google still hasn't perfected.

"You're talking about an evolving self adapting AI? That is something a Multi Billion dollar co-operation like Google still hasn't perfected"
But it´s trying.. very very hard... believe me... :)

Again, this is straight up impossible.

No it is not. I will explain further down

That's like asking a blind man to solve a puzzle.

Sight impairment does not negate one's ability at puzzle solving.

The AI follows a general rule set that is designed to simply "guess" who is at fault.

This is just sloppy coding and programmers not utilising what is available to them.

Generally the guy at the back gets a more severe penalty when punting the car in front, but then again -- brake checking would negate that. How would an AI know which was it?

Very, very simple. The game already knows where the braking points are for every car and tyre. Just turn on line assists and look for the double orange braking cone markers. The way it should work is if you hit someone inside these cones then the car at the rear is 100% at fault. If it is a side impact then the Ai needs to look at the amount of overlap and who was or was not on the correct driving line.

The tools are already available in the game to have a much fairer system than this complete hash up we have now.

Another good one is when there is a group of cars and there is crash then after that first initial contact all other penalties should be nullified until the cars have passed the carnage. I am sick and tired of people crashing in front of me and I have no where to go and I get some massive penalty through no fault of my own when I plough straight into the wreckage. Or when some imbecile dangerously re-enters the track and I cop the penalty. The Ai knows where the track boundaries are and knows I am on track and so it should be easy to work out who is at fault but not this game because it is just to lazy.

Before you say there is not enough processing power in the PS4 just think about a COD game when you have online 16 players all firing automatic weapons and the game is registering each bullet hit in 3D space in real time. It shouldn't be too hard for just 16 objects then should it when it is capable of tracking hundreds? Just in case you have never played a COD game the PS4 will even tell the difference of where on the body the bullet hits. So if it can track several bullets and knows where on human body they hit at a distance of 200-400m then I think the GTS AI could work out some overlap measurement on a couple of cars.

What do you reckon eh? Still say it's impossible?

@TT92 Again, you're over simplifying it immensely. The driving line marker isn't accurate at all. I brake well later (as do most fast drivers) than the suggested mark. You're solution won't help in this area.

The second part is in theory a good suggestion, but if we're going to ghosting everybody during most incidents then this is taking away part of the racing. Incidents do happen in real life so I think it is fair to not make things too simple. Something like this for the first corner though should be considered.

Back