PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

No it is not. I will explain further down

Sight impairment does not negate one's ability at puzzle solving.

This is just sloppy coding and programmers not utilising what is available to them.

Very, very simple. The game already knows where the braking points are for every car and tyre. Just turn on line assists and look for the double orange braking cone markers. The way it should work is if you hit someone inside these cones then the car at the rear is 100% at fault. If it is a side impact then the Ai needs to look at the amount of overlap and who was or was not on the correct driving line.

The tools are already available in the game to have a much fairer system than this complete hash up we have now.

Another good one is when there is a group of cars and there is crash then after that first initial contact all other penalties should be nullified until the cars have passed the carnage. I am sick and tired of people crashing in front of me and I have no where to go and I get some massive penalty through no fault of my own when I plough straight into the wreckage. Or when some imbecile dangerously re-enters the track and I cop the penalty. The Ai knows where the track boundaries are and knows I am on track and so it should be easy to work out who is at fault but not this game because it is just to lazy.

Before you say there is not enough processing power in the PS4 just think about a COD game when you have online 16 players all firing automatic weapons and the game is registering each bullet hit in 3D space in real time. It shouldn't be too hard for just 16 objects then should it when it is capable of tracking hundreds? Just in case you have never played a COD game the PS4 will even tell the difference of where on the body the bullet hits. So if it can track several bullets and knows where on human body they hit at a distance of 200-400m then I think the GTS AI could work out some overlap measurement on a couple of cars.

What do you reckon eh? Still say it's impossible?

It´s more then possible... but it looks like only intelligent dudes figure it out... so...

As I said before... As PD developers seem not to be that intelligent (or someone that leads the boat does not want their intelligence to be used...) and may be afraid that a learning AI may.... achieve more knowledge (and intelligence) then their own... this way... is a noway... for PD .. :(

I works, some times. Yet how it can fault me for bumping a car while I'm 100% on the brakes and trying to avoid, a car that is at a 90 degree angle sliding sideways over the road after spinning out 5 sec penalty. Or get hit from behind into another car, penalty! Get pushed off the road, no penalty. Get brake checked on the straight with no traffic in front, penalty.

It will never be perfect and there will be many grey areas, yet it still gets it wrong in the most obvious cases. It's not even attempting to address dirty blocking or not leaving a car width where required. All it does is look at contact without context.

First of all the penalty judgement needs to move to the server. Atm it's the clients that do all the work without even notifying each other. Too often it says someone gets a penalty and they don't leading to incorrect flashing penalty signs.

Oh well, what can you expect. I have been bumped off the road by auto drive several times (someone pressing pause or quitting) and gotten a penalty for it. Auto drive doesn't even bother to stay on the road when the race time runs out and happily crashes into other cars. It would explain a lot if the penalty system relies on the driving AI :)

@TT92 Again, you're over simplifying it immensely. The driving line marker isn't accurate at all. I brake well later (as do most fast drivers) than the suggested mark. You're solution won't help in this area.

It has nothing to do with where *YOU* brake. It is already recognised and coded into the game as a braking area. You run into the back of someone there then it should be 100% your fault. If you run into the back of someone outside those areas and they are braking it will be 100% their fault. Then see the bit about penalties being nullified in a set area where a collision has occurred and the person has braked outside a braking area to avoid a collision.

It is a perfectly logical (and easy) way to work this simple stuff out.

Wow down to E now, cant get back to S for 2 weeks now.
Man...
Return from E to A/S is simple ;) It will not take more than 7 races, I testet it many times.
Pro-tip .:
Start racing from the last position, overtake 5-7 cars (try to do it clean), profit. ;)
BTW reverse boosting is a good point to farm wins ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the survey LOL: Do you think the penalty system is crap or not?

I voted that I think is amazing (cause I do), and when I clicked the results I thought I would be alone... but no, I'm not. That feels good!

1. Total horse poop
    62 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. *
    It's amazing
    44 vote(s)
    41.5%
Change Your Vote<<<why would you want to change your vote? O_o What is that option doing there LOL hahahahahaha

Indeed it is. Today a totally unfair driver who was calling everybody names in the lobby braked all of all of a sudden. It was clear this was to cause me to hit him in the back at full speed. Got a 3sec penalty and me race was over right after turn one on tsukuba.

I love the survey LOL: Do you think the penalty system is crap or not?

I voted that I think is amazing (cause I do), and when I clicked the results I thought I would be alone... but no, I'm not. That feels good!

1. Total horse poop
    62 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. *
    It's amazing
    44 vote(s)
    41.5%
Change Your Vote<<<why would you want to change your vote? O_o What is that option doing there LOL hahahahahaha

I completely disagree with you. When driving in a straight line at the start of a grid start race and someone drives into the side of me and I get the penalty? That is a pretty good indicator that the penalty system is broken.

I completely disagree with you. When driving in a straight line at the start of a grid start race and someone drives into the side of me and I get the penalty? That is a pretty good indicator that the penalty system is broken.

I'm aware that lots of people complain about the system and get very upset about it. But you guys are personalizing YOUR problem with a system that perhaps might work for a lot of people that don't complain. If I open a thread about how good is the system and I encourage people to bring their good experiences (happy people with a product complain obviously less, and is less likely to rate in any way) then I would en with a thread of 4 pages of people very happy with the penalty system, as this is a thread of 4 pages of people unhappy with the subject. Conclusion: this is self-inflicted "post" car crash trauma. (please, tell me you guys got the double sense of the word "post" in that sentence :D)

I'm aware that lots of people complain about the system and get very upset about it. But you guys are personalizing YOUR problem with a system that perhaps might work for a lot of people that don't complain. If I open a thread about how good is the system and I encourage people to bring their good experiences (happy people with a product complain obviously less, and is less likely to rate in any way) then I would en with a thread of 4 pages of people very happy with the penalty system, as this is a thread of 4 pages of people unhappy with the subject. Conclusion: this is self-inflicted "post" car crash trauma. (please, tell me you guys got the double sense of the word "post" in that sentence :D)

I did think the way you are thinking. Started a thread of what is good about the system. There will STILL be people who will 🤬 on the system whatsoever.

Last night I started 5th in the Bugatti event. I look in my mirrors and focus on the radar as we head down to turn 1. Woo hoo, all's clear, I take my normal line, start to straighten up, and bam! Someone from 3 or 4 spots behind me boots me off into the litter and I get 3 seconds against me. I ended up in 2nd place by less than a second, but the penalty I had to bleed off cost me a win.

Yep, amazing.

Is it a perfect system? No, but I'd much rather have this then no penalty system at all. Just give it more time - it will get better.

If you make a mistake and hit a wall where no other car is involved its not fair to get panaltys.

When you get hit from behind and you spin againat people because of that and your rating goes down and get a panalty its not fair

When close racing and you hit a tiny littlw bit of someone in front of you what happens all the time in racing and your rating goes down and you get a panalty its not fair

It appears they are assigning blame or a large percentage of it to the higher ranked player rather than to the car causing the contact. If you are the only B amongst a field of C drivers almost any contact regardless of fault will net you a penalty.

I agree. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but they've just made it worse. I wonder how much they test this stuff. Maybe we are the testers :lol:
Oh, mate, I have absolutely no doubt that we are the testers of most of the content.

That's another reason why getting annoyed is pointless. Don't qualify, practice solo and join the race in last position, after the crashes in the first laps you will have open road to rise your DR and find better lobbies.

I study business and marketing, and this is a trend right now in digital products: don't finish it, users will do it for you. There are even algorithms and studies about how senior players will ask for improvements in existing features (and will help to develop them involuntarily) and how new players will ask for new stuff (and will tell marketing what to produce).

I agree. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but they've just made it worse. I wonder how much they test this stuff. Maybe we are the testers :lol:
They probably test it (a lot) more than you think. Its not exactly shovelware. With Gran Turismo at least there atlre things that are rectified.

I think part of the problem is we're not sitting in the car, but we get penalized like we are. You can't feel what the car is doing, can't see the car next to you with peripheral vision to tell if your 3 inches or 3 feet away from the car next to you in the turn, even when using the radar, which I do all the time. If there's a slight bump and nobody is affected by it there should not be any penalties like in real life

I think some people are being way too obtuse with the penalty system. It is AI based. It follows a general set of rules and that's about it. Y'all want some sort of evolving AI that can evolve and somehow make the correct call? c'mon now.

No not evolving but be nice if 1 thing could be fixed..... and id like to think from the comments people would agree even those who like the penalty system.
That's the fact that when your rear ended in a corner 9/10 the guy in front receives the SR drop n penalty. That has to be the biggest thing wring with it that I've seen to date!

Again last 2 races the game says the other driver gets a penalty and they get the flashing sign only to have no red dot at the finish and never slow down. How incompetent can it be, at least exchange info between clients so we can all race with correct information. I've seen the reverse as well, someone suddenly braking for the finish out of the way to, I guess, shed penalty time without having a flashing sign or red dot.

Edit: I risked racing as DR.A again and got burned good for it. My last race on Maggiore on the way to the sharp right down hill, I have the faster corner exit onto the straight with a car on my left. I steer to the right of the track as I fear he might wobble at the edge, not only does he wobble he loses control and suddenly shoots across the road T-boning me slamming me into the wall. I get a 10 sec penalty and SR Down....

Then I do something stupid. After the sharp right I have the faster corner exit again, I'm on the driving line for the fast S with about 80% overlap with a car on the left for the corner, plenty to claim a right to be there. Big mistake. I give him plenty of room for the first part, he doesn't return the favor for the second part. He doesn't adjust his speed at all and steers right for the apex bumping me into a shortcut +7.8 sec and another 4 sec for the contact. Since he didn't adjust his speed and went straight for it he was ahead at the point of contact, door to nose contact, which I guess is all the penalty system looks at. (plus both of the other cars were DR.B)

So that's 21.8 sec penalty after half a lap... I slow down and trundle behind for the rest of the race, -17 SR.

Lesson learned, common racing rules do not apply to GT Sport.

Last edited:
It is about time I added this comment in this thread.

There is only one (yes 1) way the current penalty system helps me and that is: Start on pole, be 1-2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else, clear the first corner and the resulting carnage and penalties destroy any hope of the field catching me. Easy win with DR/SR boost.

But then, usually the the cars behind usually get a jump on the pole sitter because of some unimaginably stupid bit of coding from PD to encourage T1 pile ups >:-( Monza is a classic example of how this is implemented >:-(

It is about time I added this comment in this thread.

There is only one (yes 1) way the current penalty system helps me and that is: Start on pole, be 1-2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else

usually the the cars behind usually get a jump on the pole sitter because of some unimaginably stupid bit of coding from PD

Something like this happened to me with the BRZ race at Tokyo. Pole by a second, familiar with 2nd and 3rd place and know they'll cause each other grief at the first turn, except, noooooo, PD sees fit to choke at the green flag and hold me in autodrive long enough for them to pass me. A similar thing happened at Le Mans, the first 8 places scooted off, while the rest of us just sat there revving our engines. We waited for like, 10 seconds.

Have they tightened the penaltys at interlagos? I sent my car into the weeds on the last corner went to the fence and got a 7 sec penalty..

Have they tightened the penaltys at interlagos? I sent my car into the weeds on the last corner went to the fence and got a 7 sec penalty..
Well that wouldn't be track-exclusive. If there is one thing that I can't accept about the penalty system, it's the punishment for making a mistake, crashing out and losing enough time as it is.

They should relax the penalties for wall contact at non-street circuits.

They probably test it (a lot) more than you think. Its not exactly shovelware. With Gran Turismo at least there atlre things that are rectified.

Most definitely. As an ex tester I can assure you that whatever way the Penalty System works, it's done to avoid some crazy meta that was happening in the testing phase. Driving like a jerk is one of the first things testers do in a game like this and they are trying to account for it.

The problem with physics based games though is that the real meta strategy won't be realized until you get thousands of people hammering on a game. So even a reasonable test team of 100 - 200 testers won't show you as much as a live environment. Then again, most issue are known and but due to production timelines not everything can be fixed.

It has nothing to do with where *YOU* brake. It is already recognised and coded into the game as a braking area. You run into the back of someone there then it should be 100% your fault. If you run into the back of someone outside those areas and they are braking it will be 100% their fault. Then see the bit about penalties being nullified in a set area where a collision has occurred and the person has braked outside a braking area to avoid a collision.

It is a perfectly logical (and easy) way to work this simple stuff out.
I agree with @sems4arsenal . You're over simplifying this. While it might sound okay in theory, I think it would be easily gamed by those at the back of a pack that learn where the zone is, simply because braking areas aren't the same for the whole field, they're dynamic. Due to the concertina affect what works for 1st place does not work for 20th. This is something your method doesn't take into account. There's also, for example, Megane Gr4 vs. Bugatti Gr4 having vastly different braking lenghts. Put those two in a pack and things will change dramatically. Add in tyre wear, which varies from car to car, and it gets even more complex.

There's probably a lot more things to be taken in to account too, but these are just a few off the top of my head.

Yeah, OP might have got a little too much in his head and needed to vent(and I admit I laughed a bit), but damn he has his reasons to be like this and I sympathize with him, this system sucks!

It's an interesting change for console racing. I feel that half of iRacing's success with clean racing is due to the high cost of entry attracting only the most hardcore wannabe race drivers as well as established pros and amateurs. That creates a peer environment where generally everyone wants to emulate clean real world racing.

That clean racing peer environment is far far smaller on console games. I'm not even convinced that most console gamers even want clean racing let alone a penalty system that tries to force them to race that way. So it'll be interesting to see if the market can change the gamers or if the gamers will just abandon the genre altogether.

Maybe, until, you actually look beyond surface level:

Granted, I don't play iRacing, so I can't comment. But take it from someone who is down there on the ground level, experiencing it, and the bolded, especially that last sentence, becomes laughable. Shall I also mention that Scott Speed, an actual race car driver, was booted off the service because he was going kamikaze like some of the people punting people off T1 on Nurburgring GP or Monza on GT Sport? That's an isolated incidence of course, but it really doesn't matter whether it's GT Sport, or the originator of hardcore sim racing as we know it today. There's still going to be people who want to grief and ruin things for everyone, especially in sim racing. And that even with it being the originator of the systems GT Sport uses right now, iRacing itself has its own problems.

Latest Posts

Back