PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Overall it’s a good, almost great penalty system. Just a little too harsh. Too much penalty time given on minor bumps.
Maybe they need to give you 1 or 2 warnings on these minor bumps then start giving penalty time on your 3rd+ minor contact, depending on race length, this would be good for race c length

I agree with @sems4arsenal . You're over simplifying this. While it might sound okay in theory, I think it would be easily gamed by those at the back of a pack that learn where the zone is, simply because braking areas aren't the same for the whole field, they're dynamic. Due to the concertina affect what works for 1st place does not work for 20th. This is something your method doesn't take into account. There's also, for example, Megane Gr4 vs. Bugatti Gr4 having vastly different braking lenghts. Put those two in a pack and things will change dramatically. Add in tyre wear, which varies from car to car, and it gets even more complex.

There's probably a lot more things to be taken in to account too, but these are just a few off the top of my head.

I am not over simplifying it because it is this simple to do. All it would take is work out exactly how PD would like to implement it. Whether you have fixed points for everyone or floating points for individuals (which would be harder). The whole point is to stop people being rammed in the rear end in a legitimate braking area and being given a penalty for it when it is clearly the idiot following that cant drive properly.

Or are people like you not in favour of this because this is how you want to drive?

Another point you make re: learning the brake points and so being able to game it. I'm in favour of putting big red flags there so idiots know not to hit the car in front.

Between the idiots and the dirty drivers who do game the current system Sport Mode is not a whole lot of fun at the moment with this broken penalty system :-(

I am not over simplifying it because it is this simple to do. All it would take is work out exactly how PD would like to implement it. Whether you have fixed points for everyone or floating points for individuals (which would be harder). The whole point is to stop people being rammed in the rear end in a legitimate braking area and being given a penalty for it when it is clearly the idiot following that cant drive properly.

Or are people like you not in favour of this because this is how you want to drive?

Another point you make re: learning the brake points and so being able to game it. I'm in favour of putting big red flags there so idiots know not to hit the car in front.

Between the idiots and the dirty drivers who do game the current system Sport Mode is not a whole lot of fun at the moment with this broken penalty system :-(
First off, I've have never said I'm against improvements to the penalty system, and no, I don't race like you are insinuating.

Secondly, you yourself admit it would be harder to implement floating (dynamic) braking areas, which is the only way it could be done fairly, a point you hadn't even considered yet (fixed points would be ridiculously easy to be gamed), so yes you were over simplifying it.

That's still not taking into account differing tyre wear from car to car and driver to driver, different stopping distances from car to car, and different racing lines being used. Hell even different fuel load/stratagies will make a difference to the braking zones. Every combination of every different car in every different order in every different pack combination (from 2 to 20) would also have to be factored into it. There's more but I think you get my point.

Just saying 'it's simple to do' doesn't make it easy to be programmed into the game. If it was every racing game dev would have done it.

Having penalties for contact other than deliberate ramming is too difficult to implement. How many times in a real life touring car race is contact made. Apply GT Sport penalties to a btcc race you would see everyone with at least 10 extra minutes of time added. Penalties for contact should just be removed bar obvious rams.

Fair enough if you either make a mistake or cut a corner and gain time a penalty should apply but if you don't gain anthing it should not be punished further

Oh, I agree there OP, the game's a shadow of its former self.

Pretty embarrassing that an FIA endorsed game is about to have some attempt at a genuine competition with things this bad.

Becomes such a chore of a game, pot luck qualifying, troll friendly racing, penalties for crash victims.

Combined with a lack of content, especially at launch. No wonder this game fell off so bad and is now literally peanuts to pick up, such a damn shame.

I couldn't agree more with you LofT and OP! It is very sad it has come this way as it hurt mostly the average middle Dr./Sr. racers. Yesterday I was B/B racing the Interlagos. Last race of the day I started in third. Came up to turn one and I had to put the brakes on not to hit the guy in front. Then I got rammed in the back making me hit the guy in front of me so he flew off the track. I got a 5 seconds penalty. The guy behind me was able to pass me in turn two as I needed to stay on track, after first lap the same thing happened again (brakes on to avoid hitting the guy in front and again I got hit from behind and again hit guy in front) I got me a total of 10 seconds now. I decided... enough is enough and I quit racing. Now this morning I should start racing Gr. 4 again but when I saw that I now are in D/E I gave up. No more live racing from my side in Sport Mode with these catastrophic penalty rules. I don't understand why they decided to make it worse and worse for every update? It's SAD! :yuck: 👎

First off, I've have never said I'm against improvements to the penalty system, and no, I don't race like you are insinuating.

Secondly, you yourself admit it would be harder to implement floating (dynamic) braking areas, which is the only way it could be done fairly, a point you hadn't even considered yet (fixed points would be ridiculously easy to be gamed), so yes you were over simplifying it.

That's still not taking into account differing tyre wear from car to car and driver to driver, different stopping distances from car to car, and different racing lines being used. Hell even different fuel load/stratagies will make a difference to the braking zones. Every combination of every different car in every different order in every different pack combination (from 2 to 20) would also have to be factored into it. There's more but I think you get my point.

Just saying 'it's simple to do' doesn't make it easy to be programmed into the game. If it was every racing game dev would have done it.

You are obviously looking for an argument, I am looking for ways to make a bad system better.

Lastly, by you own reasoning, just saying something will be hard to do doesn't make it too difficult to be programmed into the game ;-)

I think about now we will agree to disagree.

The way the game "sees" your behavior on the track is faulty now, too. I'm sure I've seen others complain about this.

Race 1 at Miyabi I get a 5 second penalty and don't bleed it off. I get the clean race bonus and my SR goes up 5 points. Race 2 at Blue Moon is squeaky clean. I get the red SR and a penalty dot. MY SR goes down 8 points.

I started a second account to just have fun and not worry about these things, but I swear the track boundaries feel different between driver ratings.

Oh, I agree there OP, the game's a shadow of its former self.

Pretty embarrassing that an FIA endorsed game is about to have some attempt at a genuine competition with things this bad.

Becomes such a chore of a game, pot luck qualifying, troll friendly racing, penalties for crash victims.

Combined with a lack of content, especially at launch. No wonder this game fell off so bad and is now literally peanuts to pick up, such a damn shame.

I think that’s a massive exaggeration. You’re being overly dramatic about this.

Penalty system definitely needs some work, but otherwise GTS is still pretty good.

I think people’s over eagerness to both attack and defend is a bigger issue. People are a lot more aggressive in the middle DR ranks than the A/A+ guys (with both groups being SR S).

It leads to a lot of sloppy overtaking manoeuvres.

I think that’s a massive exaggeration. You’re being overly dramatic about this.

Penalty system definitely needs some work, but otherwise GTS is still pretty good.

I think people’s over eagerness to both attack and defend is a bigger issue. People are a lot more aggressive in the middle DR ranks than the A/A+ guys (with both groups being SR S).

It leads to a lot of sloppy overtaking manoeuvres.

So all this adding if old offline content and little to fix problems from day one is not true.

Okie dokie.

Therein lies the problem. And when you get mixed DR rooms, which is the norm, chaos occurs. I've said before that penalties should be handled the same across the board. The reason lower ranked drivers drive so aggressively is because they can get away with it. This is what new players to the game are being taught. If you've ever been reset you know that it's practically impossible to get a clean race in the lower ranks., either because of inexperience or ignorance. I say let them experience the same penalties A/A+ receive and when they get tired of driving with a red dunce cap all the time they might start racing more clean.

Therein lies the problem. And when you get mixed DR rooms, which is the norm, chaos occurs. I've said before that penalties should be handled the same across the board. The reason lower ranked drivers drive so aggressively is because they can get away with it. This is what new players to the game are being taught. If you've ever been reset you know that it's practically impossible to get a clean race in the lower ranks., either because of inexperience or ignorance. I say let them experience the same penalties A/A+ receive and when they get tired of driving with a red dunce cap all the time they might start racing more clean.

I couldnt agree more !!!!
One thing I definitely dont understand is how PD assigns blame. This morning Im passing a car going into a corner, he was pretty slow on entry, I either had to pass or rear end the car, anyway my front bumper is just behind his front tire and therew is about a car width between us, he turns down on me while I am riding the edge of the track to give him plenty of room, I get 4 seconds, he gets nothing. I watched the replay, my car never even starts going wide, he just turns in too hard. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Im lucky PD's offices are not just down the block from me, I would have already thrown a brick thru their windows many times out of frustration.

The penalty system in this game was good in the beginning I dont know why they changed it. Now the fun factor had gone down for me since im not really racing most of time but rather avoiding others of hitting me because I somehow will get the penalty which is retarded. I made a thread about this with video proof called Broken Penalty System (video inside)

I'm not sure what PD expected me to do here, hit the eject button perhaps?
WHXBLJS.gif

Car from outside comes back on the track, inside car is pushing out, stuck in the middle. Then I get punted by the inside car while going as wide as possible. Even DR.B couldn't mitigate the damage, -10 SR for the race for that little sequence.

One thing that needs changing desperately is when you try to serve a penalty on the racing line or in front of another car, the time should count up instead of down. Stop interfering with the race, get out of the way first. Same with track re-entries, getting up to speed etc, don't suddenly unghost on the racing line.

Well, I'm switching to race C, impossible to get out of SR.A on Brand's with matchmaking putting A to D together all the time. What a mess tonight.

Ugh, why do I race in the weekend, now I'm down to SR 42 from people messing up in front of me. Penalty system sucks.

Last edited:
The penalty system will never work until everyone in a race is playing by the same rules.

The difference between DR/A and DR/B penalties is laughable. A DR/B driver can bump and nudge an A driver all race long and never receive a penalty while that A driver gets a penalty for any contact.

Penalties need to be the same for everyone all the time.

The penalty system in this game was good in the beginning I dont know why they changed it. Now the fun factor had gone down for me since im not really racing most of time but rather avoiding others of hitting me because I somehow will get the penalty which is retarded. I made a thread about this with video proof called Broken Penalty System (video inside)
This. It's just stressful now.

I actually get nervous when I race now. I pulled out of tons of overtaking maneuvers out of fear of getting penalties. Dont want to lose another 20k DR points lmao.

I also see more and more people taking full advantage of the penalty system. Just a few minutes ago, the guy in front of me runs wide, I take the inside line and he gets back to the racing line as soon as possible to block me/cause a collison. It was 100% deliberate. I got a 5s penalty and my SR dropped to 94.

An easy fix would simply to take into account SR variance. Someone with 99 SR who kept it there for 100 races is not the same as someone who fluctuates between 40 and 99 SR regularly. Drivers like that shouldnt be matched together. The guy who raced cleanly for 100 races shouldnt get a 30k DR drop after one or two bad races.

The system is just really stupid. If that system was used in F1, half of the grid would lose their superlicense at some point after a bad weekend or two. Grosjean, Verstappen and others would probably be only allowed to race rental karts.

You sure about that? A lot of people suggest otherwise. Also the handling should change dramatically between full tank and low tank and I cant say I have ever noticed that.
100% certain.

Perhaps the more apt question is ... why aren't you?
Do you simply not do enough driving with decent fuel usage on?

I would suggest you jump in a lobby for half an hour for a few nights during the week.
Set tyre wear to 6 or 7 times.
Set fuel consumption to 3 or 4 times.
Pit after a few laps, get fresh tyres and no fuel.
Rinse and repeat.

You'll find out soon enough that fuel load matters.

Last edited:
100% certain.

Perhaps the more apt question is ... why aren't you?
Do you simply not do enough driving with decent fuel usage on?

I would suggest you jump in a lobby for half an hour for a few nights during the week.
Set tyre wear to 6 or 7 times.
Set fuel consumption to 3 or 4 times.
Pit after a few laps, get fresh tyres and no fuel.
Rinse and repeat.

You'll find out soon enough that fuel load matters.

Just did a 90 minute endurance race last Saturday with all aids off and I can honestly say I noticed no difference in balance between empty and full tank. The race required 4 fuel stops on max power. That should have been plenty of time on low fuel to notice a difference. Others have also said that during FIA qualy fuel level does not make a difference in time. I suppose the best test would be on an oval where weight should make a dramatic difference in lap time and it's very easy to run extremely consistent lap times.

Just did a 90 minute endurance race last Saturday with all aids off and I can honestly say I noticed no difference in balance between empty and full tank. The race required 4 fuel stops on max power. That should have been plenty of time on low fuel to notice a difference. Others have also said that during FIA qualy fuel level does not make a difference in time. I suppose the best test would be on an oval where weight should make a dramatic difference in lap time and it's very easy to run extremely consistent lap times.
Ovals?

Yep, it's an unbelievably consistent coincidence that I and others have experienced, week after week racing in lobby events.
What else could it be?

Are you honestly trying to tell me you are so in tune with your car that you can't notice any "balance" change, and yet at the same time are so blind as to not notice the reduced lap time?

Believe what you want.

Last edited:
Not ovals for me, but I always set fastest lap times on dailies two laps after I pit, and not on Lap 2. It's consistently 5-6/10ths faster than my FL on Lap 2. I push very hard on those two particular laps to get myself the FL star (I push on Lap 2 in case anything happens to my next 100% lap)

You are obviously looking for an argument, I am looking for ways to make a bad system better.

Lastly, by you own reasoning, just saying something will be hard to do doesn't make it too difficult to be programmed into the game ;-)

I think about now we will agree to disagree.
I'm not looking for an argument but like you, I'm trying to think of ways to make a bad system better and in this case, it's both PD's and yours. I would also love to see correct penalties being applied in braking areas and no penalties at all for contact that's so minor that it doesn't affect anyones race.

If you can't see that your method had over simplified how braking area penalties should be applied, by wanting PD to implement static zones then yes, we are done.

Not ovals for me, but I always set fastest lap times on dailies two laps after I pit, and not on Lap 2. It's consistently 5-6/10ths faster than my FL on Lap 2. I push very hard on those two particular laps to get myself the FL star (I push on Lap 2 in case anything happens to my next 100% lap)

Wouldn't you be able to go even faster on low fuel? As you can see I appear to be confused over differing fuel levels and how it affects the car. In FIA races I always took fresh tires and no fuel towards the end of qualifying and then I heard fuel levels are not taken into account in the game. I just suggested ovals for test purposes, it's pretty easy to run lap times within a 1/10 for several laps so it seems like it would be the logical place to test fuel level vs lap time. Also with fewer corners you have less opportunities to gain/lose time, if you were gaining .05 on each straight consistantly with tire wear off it would be pretty safe to assume fuel level is maki g the difference.

Wouldn't you be able to go even faster on low fuel? As you can see I appear to be confused over differing fuel levels and how it affects the car. In FIA races I always took fresh tires and no fuel towards the end of qualifying and then I heard fuel levels are not taken into account in the game. I just suggested ovals for test purposes, it's pretty easy to run lap times within a 1/10 for several laps so it seems like it would be the logical place to test fuel level vs lap time. Also with fewer corners you have less opportunities to gain/lose time, if you were gaining .05 on each straight consistantly with tire wear off it would be pretty safe to assume fuel level is maki g the difference.
I do get faster with lower fuel, but often times it gets offset by tire wear. On instances where tire wear isn't as much of a factor, I do set my laps faster and faster nearer the end of the race

I do get faster with lower fuel, but often times it gets offset by tire wear. On instances where tire wear isn't as much of a factor, I do set my laps faster and faster nearer the end of the race

Then I guess its solved then, the people that claimed fuel weight did not make a difference were wrong and so was I for agreeing.

Back