PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Yeah I even didn't realise he'd tried to get me on the first lap through the little 'S' bend until watching the whole thing back. It'd be interesting to know what Polyphony think of the penalty system 'working' in that way!

At this point, it's the report system they have to get going!!!:banghead:

Exactly. This is a proof that there is no evaluation algorithm in place whatsoever. None. The penalty system did not consider him going way too fast in a slow section and (what's more important) being completely out of control. He was 🤬 sideways!!! What it saw was him going quickly and me going slowly, turning into him, spinning him out and sending him into the sand trap. Basically it saw me blocking him. And that is just so extremely simplistic that it just leaves me speechless. It's official people, PD really have given up on it and this is what we get. Is it better than nothing? Yes. But that's about it.
Today I got sand slapped in Tzukuba twice but the other dude got no penalties.
Then on my second race, I accidently t-boned a guy that braked too late and was already on a mid-drift. I got no penalty either.
Seems like the penalty system on vacation today.

Been meaning to stick this up for a while. This is from the Tokyo East GR4 Race C a few weeks back, and shows someone going very much out of his way to get penalties for other people. He ended this race with a positive SR, the people around him (including me - although I got away) weren't so lucky

It is the whole race, so about 16 minutes of viewing (and very poor choosing of when to look behind!), but even giving both cars involved in an incident a penalty surely has to be better than putting up with this nonsense

Edit: I should add, this was a 'S' rank lobby for SR and personally I was at 99 going into the race

Just look at the profile of him, that says it all:
upload_2019-10-21_8-36-6.png

These are the typical DR and SR patterns of dirty drivers. One recognizes it with naked eye immediately. Polyphony could recognize such a thing from its data, but does not do anything.

Attachments

• gts.jpg
    gts.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 8
Just look at the profile of him, that says it all:
View attachment 859137

These are the typical DR and SR patterns of dirty drivers. One recognizes it with naked eye immediately. Polyphony could recognize such a thing from its data, but does not do anything.
Yeah I know, I looked at all that after the event as he brags about his 300 wins in his greeting before the race. It's not even the dirtiness that gets me about this, it's how easy it was for him to completely game the penalty system. The German he really picked on (MEP-champ or something like that) would have had his SR obliterated and there wasn't a lot he could do about it. Driving like this could easily wreck an account through SR dropping which could then take a while to build back up

As I said, even giving both cars involved in the incident a penalty has to be better than allowing that

Been meaning to stick this up for a while. This is from the Tokyo East GR4 Race C a few weeks back, and shows someone going very much out of his way to get penalties for other people.
I simply don't race on Tokyo, it's pointless as it's so easy for people to give penalties to other people. I raced it twice in the Nations Cup Gr.1 race quite a few months ago now, and it was the same both times, everyone just smashes into you on their way to the wall. The irony in your video is that the driver ruined his own race and would have done much better if he had simply driven it cleanly. I find this is often the case with dirty drivers, there was a rammer in my last Manufacturer race, whose tactic when overtaking was to always ram the car he was passing, presumably to try to cause them to bin it and take them out of contention for the rest of the race, or at least to put them far enough behind him that it makes sure the overtake succeeds. But we ended up with me in 3rd, the rammer in 2nd, and I was closing in on him. I suspect he was desperately keen to not have me get into a position to return the ram from earlier in the race, and in his desperation he ran wide on the exit from turn 1 and binned it, finishing 10th. If he'd driven cleanly, he could easily have finished 2nd.

Yeah I know, I looked at all that after the event as he brags about his 300 wins in his greeting before the race. It's not even the dirtiness that gets me about this, it's how easy it was for him to completely game the penalty system. The German he really picked on (MEP-champ or something like that) would have had his SR obliterated and there wasn't a lot he could do about it. Driving like this could easily wreck an account through SR dropping which could then take a while to build back up

As I said, even giving both cars involved in the incident a penalty has to be better than allowing that

Yes, gaming the system is far too easy. This has been going on for months now. I know a lot of players who do not play GTS anymore. That's why I can not understand why the developers do not do anything about it.

Some things never change. Can't avoid the unavoidable.
0kudA4C.gif

GTS really needs a jump button!
That should be an easy fix for them really though. All four wheels off there gets you a penalty anyway, once he's triggered that any subsequent contact with you or another car shouldn't be a penalty

That should be an easy fix for them really though. All four wheels off there gets you a penalty anyway, once he's triggered that any subsequent contact with you or another car shouldn't be a penalty

There are many easy ways to fix it. One car goes way below the suggested speed for the section, at a 45 degree angle to the direction of travel, with total loss of control, 4 wheels sliding. Other car steps on the brake to try to avoid. Yet all the game sees is, contact, one car goes off. It has been like this for well over a year, hence "some things never change"

I've probably posted dozens of these exact same incidents, and probably will continue until it gets fixed, if ever.

Meanwhile PD really needs to move the penalty zones away from braking zones. They don't work there very well since you have to slow down anyway and create more trouble by putting cars at different speeds in the way at a place where you shouldn't be swerving. Hardly anyone moves off the racing line anymore and it has become a gamble of will he unghost or not yet.

In Race C in Interlagos I tried to win back my DR and SR points that I lost last week by the divebombers. That was not a good idea. Interlagos is much worse, especially turn 1. Already right after the start there is chaos because some drivers brake too late. Then the race is getting worse and worse. The tires are getting worse but instead of adjusting the braking points and braking earlier, some players are doing the opposite. In almost every round I get a blow from behind in T1. I believe these guys are trying to balance the declining tires with even more aggressiveness. Racecraft does not seem to be there. It's just about to force the desired result. And what does the peantlty system mean? As a rule, there are no penalties for the dive bomber and rammer. Only if one of them loses control and leaves the track after the contact I get a penalty. Yes, I will be punished. The beats are sometimes so big that I almost leave the track myself but the system blames me. It does not register at all that the rammer brake much too late and without the contact with me would have left the track anyway.

In Race C in Interlagos I tried to win back my DR and SR points that I lost last week by the divebombers. That was not a good idea. Interlagos is much worse, especially turn 1. Already right after the start there is chaos because some drivers brake too late. Then the race is getting worse and worse. The tires are getting worse but instead of adjusting the braking points and braking earlier, some players are doing the opposite. In almost every round I get a blow from behind in T1. I believe these guys are trying to balance the declining tires with even more aggressiveness. Racecraft does not seem to be there. It's just about to force the desired result. And what does the peantlty system mean? As a rule, there are no penalties for the dive bomber and rammer. Only if one of them loses control and leaves the track after the contact I get a penalty. Yes, I will be punished. The beats are sometimes so big that I almost leave the track myself but the system blames me. It does not register at all that the rammer brake much too late and without the contact with me would have left the track anyway.

Yeah, it's been said many many times in this thread. This (joke of a) penalty system is extremely simplistic and very very stupid. A very frustrating thing in otherwise a very enjoyable game. What a shame.

Yeah, it's been said many many times in this thread. This (joke of a) penalty system is extremely simplistic and very very stupid. A very frustrating thing in otherwise a very enjoyable game. What a shame.
Yes, really a shame. Much of GTS is well designed and worked out in detail. This also results in the many qualities of the game. But then there are other areas that are terribly primitive and can not even reach the level of old budget games. The AI and the penalty system are such areas. I have rarely seen a game in which at the same time has such great and abysmally bad components. I do not understand how on the one hand an insane effort invested in areas that are already very good anyway and at the same time fundamentally bad element does not improve. PD has certainly heard all the trouble and frustration of the players over the penalty system. The complaints have been around since day 1. But they do nothing to improve it. The penalty system is the main reason for frustration and therefore for the fact that so many have given up the game. It's like building the greatest ship in the world but refusing to mend the big hole in the hull. Such a ship will sink, no matter how great the rest is.

In real life you can't avoid some crashes neither.

That's not the problem. In real life you don't get slapped with a penalty for getting swiped off by a crash.

Here I manage to avoid the car losing control, still get a penalty :lol:

Yellow flag penalties have no place in GTS. In real life you don't have 2 seconds of yellow flag with no one slowing down.

Can mods please change the thread title? It is still flawed but definitely not a piece of ****
It should not lead to confusion or misinformation
Most of what I see is from bizarre situations involving terrible drivers, as the video right above me

Last edited by a moderator:
The penalty system is the main reason for frustration and therefore for the fact that so many have given up the game.

I am slowly but surely on my way of becoming one of those people. I play GTS less and less every week. Sport mode is (for me, not for @Sven Jurgens for example ;)) almost unplayable because of the absolutely ridiculous penalties and the same tracks repeating biweekly. Lately I basically only play so my wheel wouldn't just sit in the corner gathering dust. It did cost me quite a bit of my hard earned money after all.

Can mods please change the thread title? It is still flawed but definitely not a piece of ****
It should not lead to confusion or misinformation
Most of what I see is from bizarre situations involving terrible drivers, as the video right above me

I agree with the title of the thread, it is named very appropriately. I have given up racing in Sport Mode and only race leagues and lobbies now where you pay for your poor driving by getting booted. I think the reason match making is so poor in the Americas region is because so many people have given up on Sport Mode. It is beyond ridiculous that so many people have given up on what is supposed to be the backbone of the game, if GTS was for racing in lobbies PD could have just carried on with GT6. Sport Mode is supposed to be the featured part of the game yet PD does absolutely nothing to fix the issues, there are no flaws, it is broken, period. The penalty system allows other cars to give you penalties, front car gets SR down for bump drafting, cars at fault get no penalty while the victim gets penalties, etc, etc. Exactly where does PD get the penalty system right? Its beyond a joke. RIP GTS Sport Mode, PD has abandoned you. Well not all is lost, at least I can take nice pictures of the faulty penalty system in action so there is that.

I agree with the title of the thread, it is named very appropriately. I have given up racing in Sport Mode and only race leagues and lobbies now where you pay for your poor driving by getting booted. I think the reason match making is so poor in the Americas region is because so many people have given up on Sport Mode. It is beyond ridiculous that so many people have given up on what is supposed to be the backbone of the game, if GTS was for racing in lobbies PD could have just carried on with GT6. Sport Mode is supposed to be the featured part of the game yet PD does absolutely nothing to fix the issues, there are no flaws, it is broken, period. The penalty system allows other cars to give you penalties, front car gets SR down for bump drafting, cars at fault get no penalty while the victim gets penalties, etc, etc. Exactly where does PD get the penalty system right? Its beyond a joke. RIP GTS Sport Mode, PD has abandoned you. Well not all is lost, at least I can take nice pictures of the faulty penalty system in action so there is that.

Right. Something similar I meant with my post. The developers invest much effort in rather unimportant or already great things and neglect the actual core of the game. The sports mode is broken because the penalty system is broken. This destroys the actual game. New cars or tracks are nice, but that does not help if you can not drive well in the game.

Right. Something similar I meant with my post. The developers invest much effort in rather unimportant or already great things and neglect the actual core of the game. The sports mode is broken because the penalty system is broken. This destroys the actual game. New cars or tracks are nice, but that does not help if you can not drive well in the game.

For a game that was advertising from the beginning, to have as main purpose online racing... it seems that PD was just acting as a Politician on Campaign .... sent out a bunch of fat lies and promesses.. that soon are to be forgotten...

That is why I don´play Online with GTS for .. probably more than 6 months... and honestly.., that is the best way to deal with this... use other Racing simulators that are more adequated to it.. or. then.. just play online GTS on Private Lobbies and Group Compettions... for the Normal daily races and Nations Cup, Manufacters Series.... not worth the frustation you get from PD doing nothing about what should and was a promess... to be done...

That's not the problem. In real life you don't get slapped with a penalty for getting swiped off by a crash.

Here I manage to avoid the car losing control, still get a penalty :lol:

Yellow flag penalties have no place in GTS. In real life you don't have 2 seconds of yellow flag with no one slowing down.

But in real life you get your car damaged for getting swiped off by a crash... so take it as mechanical damage... a lot softer in GTS than in real life, so not very important to complain of, IMO...

The reason why is softer is because races are shorter than in real life, this system seems reasonable for compensating this.

"Yellow flag penalties have no place in GTS. In real life you don't have 2 seconds of yellow flag with no one slowing down."
>>> In real life you get a drive through ... in short races I think is better this softer penalty than a drive through penalty.

Last edited:
But in real life you get your car damaged for getting swiped off by a crash... so take it as mechanical damage... a lot softer in GTS than in real life, so not very important to complain of, IMO...

The reason why is softer is because races are shorter than in real life, this system seems reasonable for compensating this.

"Yellow flag penalties have no place in GTS. In real life you don't have 2 seconds of yellow flag with no one slowing down."
>>> In real life you get a drive through ... in short races I think is better this softer penalty than a drive through penalty.

But what is the point of those penalties in sport mode? Why penalize someone at all and take SR away for something out of their control?

The yellow flag penalties don't even make sense as it's usually from a yellow flag for something that happened way up front. I've even had one for passing a ghosted car serving a penalty at a snail's pace. Sure the wall penalties are fine for simulating damage, or rather causing danger to the traffic around you. Yet getting swiped off the track should not give you a penalty.

But what is the point of those penalties in sport mode? Why penalize someone at all and take SR away for something out of their control?

The yellow flag penalties don't even make sense as it's usually from a yellow flag for something that happened way up front. I've even had one for passing a ghosted car serving a penalty at a snail's pace. Sure the wall penalties are fine for simulating damage, or rather causing danger to the traffic around you. Yet getting swiped off the track should not give you a penalty.

Real life racing it's not about justice or about not being penalized for something out of their control.

Real life racing gives you penaltys (mechanical damage) for others fault crashes...

So take every penalty after a crash as a mechanical damage, even if it's your fault or not, and it's a lot less severe as a "penalty" than the same incident racing in real life.

The actual system motivates zero contact, if you get it away it is a blood carnival = no consequences for any contact.

The actual system motivates zero contact, if you get it away it is a blood carnival = no consequences for any contact.[/QUOTE]

Hence......NASCRAP!

Real life racing it's not about justice or about not being penalized for something out of their control.

Real life racing gives you penaltys (mechanical damage) for others fault crashes...

So take every penalty after a crash as a mechanical damage, even if it's your fault or not, and it's a lot less severe as a "penalty" than the same incident racing in real life.

The actual system motivates zero contact, if you get it away it is a blood carnival = no consequences for any contact.

Yet I still get penalized when there is zero contact!!! :lol:
And it is a blood carnival anyway, I just quit another pinball race on Interlagos (in SR.S)

What motivates me not to just floor it and bounce any struggling / spinning cars out of the way? I get a penalty either way. I still brake and try to avoid which usually gets me rammed from behind.

The actual system motivates dirty driving, gambling with the penalty system while stacking it in your favor with the only risk getting easier races. Now if you make it so you don't get a penalty when trying to avoid or have zero contact (in case of yellow flag nonsense) then there would be motivation to take care to brake and go around. As it is now, you slow down for a yellow flag, car behind rear ends you, you get SR Down.

Yet I still get penalized when there is zero contact!!! :lol:
And it is a blood carnival anyway, I just quit another pinball race on Interlagos (in SR.S)

What motivates me not to just floor it and bounce any struggling / spinning cars out of the way? I get a penalty either way. I still brake and try to avoid which usually gets me rammed from behind.

The actual system motivates dirty driving, gambling with the penalty system while stacking it in your favor with the only risk getting easier races. Now if you make it so you don't get a penalty when trying to avoid or have zero contact (in case of yellow flag nonsense) then there would be motivation to take care to brake and go around. As it is now, you slow down for a yellow flag, car behind rear ends you, you get SR Down.

For me the actual system motivates to get a lot of care about my car, like in real life.

In S99 I have a lot of clean races, and when you care about others positions, in S99, other drivers give respect back to you.

The spinning cars we have to avoid to crash them, like in real life.

"As it is now, you slow down for a yellow flag, car behind rear ends you, you get SR Down." That happens in real life too (-SR as mechanical damage).

Last edited:
For me the actual system motivates to get a lot of care about my car, like in real life.

In S99 I have a lot of clean races, and when you care about others positions, in S99, other drivers give respect back to you.

The spinning cars we have to avoid to crash them, like in real life.

"As it is now, you slow down for a yellow flag, car behind rear ends you, you get SR Down." That happens in real life too (-SR as mechanical damage).

The clean race bonus is what motivates me to drive clean. That's my priority while racing, clean passes only, avoid rather than enforce your position. However the system keeps penalizing people for other's mess ups and rewarding dirty driving.

All I'm doing is drive in a straight line
07CVUDJ.gif

And yep that is SR.S

The penalty system is broken and not much of a deterrent to dirty behavior.

Back