PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I was on the verge of being Dr A & Sr S.
After less than 10 races at the weekend and constantly being hit from the side or punted from the rear and subsequently now racing with even worse drivers and being hit x10 than before, I am now D E!!! Wtf I even stayed at the black tonight to keep away and a straggler came past dived up inside smashing me out the way and guess what........

That's right I got the big orange bad boy Sr again.

This was **** in the beginning and that was understandable and it even seemed to progress and get better but after the last 2 big updates it's just got worse and is now in my opinion a TOTAL CROCK OF ****!!!

I certainly won't be playing this again as the guys I'm with now don't seem to care about the rank and just bump you out the way to win instead of racing! Took me long enough to nearly be A S and now it's ruined due to being rammed from behind and getting a penalty for it.
In what racing league etc does the guy getting rammed from behind ever receive a penalty?????
And when you crash alone or skid of by mistake and lose time off track and positions, they don't give you another penalty do they because you've just had it by loosing enough time crashing!!
THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR
MY ASS!!!!

Oh I've got plenty of video footage to put together very shortly to follow this ******** up aswell. Some on you tube already, potterp81 if you want to see.

I met the most amazing dirty troll today on Bathurst, continuously brake checking in the mountainous section, pushing people off when they tried to overtake after a faster exit, slowing down then pushing people into the walls. I was watching him for a few laps, saw him take out 4 cars and gave some others penalties as well. I finally passed him when he took out another car in T2, not quite fast enough though as he still managed to turn back on me and ram me, giving me a penalty while I'm on the edge of the road away from him... He was definitely trolling as after I passed him he kept brake checking people losing 4 sec per lap on me holding people up.

The kicker, after the race, several people he rammed off, including me had a red S, he had a blue S. Total joke this penalty system.

I donno, i made a break and havent played GT for almost 2 months. Left it at D rating, had a couple of destruction derby races and I remember how i hated the penalty system then.

Last week i returned and got up to S rank in no time. I think they really improved it and Im liking this ghosting tho its incosistent but this is waaaaaay bettsr than 2 months ago where all I had to do is look at another driver and automatically my rating would drop lol.

:lol: The title of this thread is hilarious as I imagine a 10 year old saying this line with the squeeker voice :lol:

You imagine 10yr olds? Nice! Wrong kind forum mate

I donno, i made a break and havent played GT for almost 2 months. Left it at D rating, had a couple of destruction derby races and I remember how i hated the penalty system then.

Last week i returned and got up to S rank in no time. I think they really improved it and Im liking this ghosting tho its incosistent but this is waaaaaay bettsr than 2 months ago where all I had to do is look at another driver and automatically my rating would drop lol.
If your ghosting I assume your DR is at D still and you mean your SR is an S again. If so the ghosting is good idea as are most things in the game. I love the game and want to play more with cleaner racers and enjoy the competition not be rammed off at every opportunity. Another reason why I've moved to pc racing now and you don't get this, at least not as bad lol.
It's the penaltys that from day 1 seem back to front. Like the comment above where the guy doing the damage gets bonuses and the victims get punished! It's like they just need to hit the reverse switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam done worring about it i am just going to race and hope for the best. Was brought down by S drivers so they are also dirty drivers. Was back to A again and then 1 race first corner Nurbergring and back to D again......
Yes I was S and that's where it started but it was a little tap from the side it wasn't malicious in any way but because the penaltys are so bad and in reverse it put my SR down. If you system was better we would still be at S!

In iRacing, which is what Sony copied the penalty system from.

I hope more racing games copies it, because it really makes the online experience much better than other kinds of open lobbies.

I meant in real racing as gran turismo is labelled the real driving SIM!
If you think that getting a penalty for Some one else mistake is ok then I hope I never race with you.

I was a couple thousand points away from getting my DR up to A when "sport happened". It's frustrating having to play dodge-em with idiots while trying to gain positions and have a clean race. I gave up on caring about ratings and started a new account to just have fun ( and get a second chance at the prize car wheel ). Ironically I just had 3 super close and clean races at Northern Isle with the D and C drivers. I betcha if I go back to my primary account and race the A and B drivers it won't be as clean.

Signs up to forum to rage quit the game... ALL CAPS!!!111!! Thread Title... Binary Poll Options offering no chance of balanced voting. Great effort 👍

I certainly won't be playing this again

Fair enough.

Oh I've got plenty of video footage to put together very shortly to follow this ******** up aswell.

Oh I'm sure that will be fascinating. Seriously, why waste the time? If you're done with the game and are moving to PC racing.... why not just focus on that? Seriously, Exhale the Hate... Inhale the Love.

FWIW I thought a sudden A/S to D/E reset was a symptom of quitting/disconnecting from races and unserved penalties... but I don't really play Sport mode so I could be wrong on that.

Signs up to forum to rage quit the game... ALL CAPS!!!111!! Thread Title... Binary Poll Options offering no chance of balanced voting. Great effort 👍

Fair enough.

Oh I'm sure that will be fascinating. Seriously, why waste the time? If you're done with the game and are moving to PC racing.... why not just focus on that? Seriously, Exhale the Hate... Inhale the Love.

FWIW I thought a sudden A/S to D/E reset was a symptom of quitting/disconnecting from races and unserved penalties... but I don't really play Sport mode so I could be wrong on that.
I've been looking on here for ages but enough is enough. It is fascinating as it's black n white penaltys. After so long it's a joke.
If what you say about quitting is true then it's possible but only left game 2 times and hardly ever served penalties just got ahead of the pack behind me.would explain the sudden drop.

Am I the only person who hasn't had any issues with the penalty system at all? I don't think I've ever received a penalty that wasn't my fault or wasn't deserved. Even if there are mistakes sometimes there is only so much an automated system can do to identify who is at fault; it is VERY difficult to implement these sorts of systems in games where there are lots of online players driving very closely at high speeds.

EDIT: In the video posted above many of the penalties could have been avoided by not sitting on the arse of the car in front assuming that they're going to brake perfectly for each corner. Mistakes and accidents happen; you can remove this risk for yourself by just letting off the throttle a tiny amount before the braking point.

Last edited:
It is indeed a mess which is why I largely ignore it now, it can be so random at times and unfair that it renders itself pointless. Will this make me stop playing? Not at all, it purely means if needed I'll be more aggressive, if my DR or SR drops- who cares, it's an arbitary points system which was supposed to make for fair racing between drivers of equal sportsmanship or driving ability but ultimately does neither because it can be abused and also does not work correctly a lot of the time.

You imagine 10yr olds? Nice! Wrong kind forum mate
What no? Either you completely missed the point or I don't know.
If you look at the title of your thread it is written in a very childish manner, reminds me of the squeeker voices in call of duty or any other games where they (kids) like to swear alot.

That's what I find amusing.

The penalty system has been changed a bunch of times through several updates so I am guessing they (PD) constantly will need to tweak it to find a proper balans, but games nowadays are full of trollers sadly which makes the game unplayable for some.

You have to admit it can be a total joke sometimes. It is affecting the racing aswell I feel that I can't properly race someone now who I don't fully trust because the slightest contact ruins your race. Yesterday I was doing the nurburgring gr4 race and my SR was S maxed out, I started on pole and got completely wiped out turn 1 and by turn 2 I was last and I literally couldn't get back to the front without contact racing all the dirty people at the back. My SR after that race went down to A but the race after was even worse, same happed punted at turn 1 and my SR went down to C by the end of the race. It took me all day of winning and having clean races to get it back to S.

Am I the only person who hasn't had any issues with the penalty system at all? I don't think I've ever received a penalty that wasn't my fault or wasn't deserved. Even if there are mistakes sometimes there is only so much an automated system can do to identify who is at fault; it is VERY difficult to implement these sorts of systems in games where there are lots of online players driving very closely at high speeds.

EDIT: In the video posted above many of the penalties could have been avoided by not sitting on the arse of the car in front assuming that they're going to brake perfectly for each corner. Mistakes and accidents happen; you can remove this risk for yourself by just letting off the throttle a tiny amount before the braking point.
I'll agree with you for most part but......
If this So called automated system can't distinguish between 2 cars where the 1 behind rams another off track for bad driving and decides the guy that got hit may of been brake testing, then it needs fixing! Watch the video above and you'll see where I'm coming from.

You have to admit it can be a total joke sometimes. It is affecting the racing aswell I feel that I can't properly race someone now who I don't fully trust because the slightest contact ruins your race. Yesterday I was doing the nurburgring gr4 race and my SR was S maxed out, I started on pole and got completely wiped out turn 1 and by turn 2 I was last and I literally couldn't get back to the front without contact racing all the dirty people at the back. My SR after that race went down to A but the race after was even worse, same happed punted at turn 1 and my SR went down to C by the end of the race. It took me all day of winning and having clean races to get it back to S.
Exactly the same scenario except I left it where it was until I'm ready to fight my way back.

Watching one of your videos you’re moaning about penalties etc, and yes I can see other drivers around you are pretty dirty, but you’re just giving it straight back! You even barge a guy off a hairpin and take his position, then nonchalantly brush it off like you did nothing wrong, even though you’ve moaned about everyone else’s driving up until that point.

If you’re a high B/S then I’m glad you’ll not be playing anymore because that’s where I race at.

Watching one of your videos you’re moaning about penalties etc, and yes I can see other drivers around you are pretty dirty, but you’re just giving it straight back! You even barge a guy off a hairpin and take his position, then nonchalantly brush it off like you did nothing wrong, even though you’ve moaned about everyone else’s driving up until that point.

If you’re a high B/S then I’m glad you’ll not be playing anymore because that’s where I race at.
Even said in video it's cuz I was pissed off and no on else gave a ****. If I raced like that I wouldn't of been nearly A S. If I'd played more I would of been.

Go watch my other videos rather than 1 where I'm complaining.

Dropping from B to D doesn't mean you can't race any more. I don't get all the fuss. It's a console racing game, it's always going to have screechers and morons racing in it. Spend the dough and get into Iracing if you want cleaner racing. Or join some lobby leagues where the racing is better to get your pro fix.

Be realistic folks.

I'll agree with you for most part but......
If this So called automated system can't distinguish between 2 cars where the 1 behind rams another off track for bad driving and decides the guy that got hit may of been brake testing, then it needs fixing! Watch the video above and you'll see where I'm coming from.

The only way I can see that this could be improved is by implementing "braking zones" where cars are expected to be braking heavily and so any rams from behind should be penalised (because you should have expected them to brake). If someone brakes in a "non braking zone" (E.g. a straight or an area of acceleration out of a sweeping corner) and someone hits them then the penalty should be more likely to go to the player braking as they technically should have no (or very little) reason to apply the brakes. The problem here is that some players brake to slow down on straights to erase existing penalties, so you can't just base it on who brakes and who hits as it's not always as clear as that.

Then you have to add in network latency as sometimes your position isn't updated as quickly as it should be. I've previously worked on a car based game that had online play (not as a coder, mind) and had to determine who was at fault for particular actions (even after the fact) and it took many many months of refining before it even worked as expected, let alone ironing out the errors. Coding a penalty system for an online game that feels fair is a crazily difficult job and is certainly something I wouldn't want to do!

Last edited:
Dropping from B to D doesn't mean you can't race any more. I don't get all the fuss. It's a console racing game, it's always going to have screechers and morons racing in it. Spend the dough and get into Iracing if you want cleaner racing. Or join some lobby leagues where the racing is better to get your pro fix.

Be realistic folks.

I have joined a league/community because of this reason and it's great and racing is amazing in these setups. It's also not the other players I'm moaning about as you said you will always get them No matter what... the fact remains if the penalty system was better then we wouldn't get penalised for mistakes or deliberate acts of violence on track by others as you mention.
I play raceroom currently as I don't have enough time to play amd justify paying what you need to for iracing atm otherwise I would.

Another recurring issue is not respecting barge passers. I know that sounds backwards, but currently the system does not penalize barge passing (essentially dive bombers who stay to the inside line and avoid contact). Most of the incidences people are complaining about tend to occur from people turning in on barge passers and presuming they were dive bombed because of the illegal barge pass when it is actually them causing the collision.

Since the system doesn't penalize barge passing, turning in on the inside line as someone fills the gap will always result in a penalty. On Gareth's footage you can clearly see people behind him on the radar tapered off to the inside... clearly those people are going to stick their nose on the inside and try to barge pass. When I see that behavior from the car behind me I know that cutting to the apex is going to give me a penalty, so I don't do it.

I'll concede that's me conforming to a broken penalty system but at no point am I ever surprised by the penalties I receive.

Back