PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

It is very clear to me, the penalty system thinks you need to move out of the way of out of control cars so they cant hit you. :D:D:cheers:

lol

you’d think there would be something in place that would give the penalty to someone in the complete wrong orientation for where they are on the track.

don’t know how many times I’ve been walloped when someone is flooring it try to get back on the track

but I do know IVE got a SR hit n penalty every time lol

Give FIA at Suzuka a go. Slightest contact in the bunched pack at the start and anyone behind you is going to get a penalty for colliding with a car even when there is almost no contact. Crazy

I just want to safely return to the track :indiff:

(Disclaimer: I wasn't involved at all with this incident.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pure comedy gold. Thanks for helping me not regret quitting playing this game.

It is very clear to me, the penalty system thinks you need to move out of the way of out of control cars so they cant hit you. :D:D:cheers:

Yeah, PD really want us to get the 🤬 out of the way of dive bombs or we get a penalty. Which is a little strange and backwards in my opinion. I guess they really don't know how to make the system recognize dive bombing.

I still play it much but 90% community racing and very rare sportsmode, and I fully understand you.

they really don't know how to make the system recognize dive bombing.

Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that they don't want to know. The difference of divebombing and a regular move is that in a regular move the overtaker manages to stop at the apex and doesn't go wide into you. A divebomb is when the overtaker needs to hit you, otherwise he would go wide and miss the apex. I can imagine, that recognizing the difference for the penalty system is to hard to program and I wouldn' blame PD for not being capable of doing so. The point where I blame them is, either they don't want to realize their fail and refuse to include shared penaltys -to at least lower the unfairness/ force divebomber and the potential inside-blocker not to have contact (currently only the overtaken one gets penalty, no matter if he deserves it because of blocking or not) or PD simply has the opinion that what we call divebombing is a regular move.

The problem is that the game only looks at what happens after the impact, and what happens after a divebomb is basically the same as what happens when someone turns in on another car making a legitimate overtake. To recognise dive-bombing, the game would have to record the gap at the start of the braking zone, and set parameters for what is an acceptable gap and what isn't. I know in real life actual overlap is required, but in GT that would rule out about 95% of overtakes, so probably have to be a bit more lenient, but not too much.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, PD really want us to get the 🤬 out of the way of dive bombs or we get a penalty. Which is a little strange and backwards in my opinion. I guess they really don't know how to make the system recognize dive bombing.

All Polyphony needs to do to fix the penalty system is heed some of Sven's recommendations.

I still play it much but 90% community racing and very rare sportsmode, and I fully understand you.

Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that they don't want to know. The difference of divebombing and a regular move is that in a regular move the overtaker manages to stop at the apex and doesn't go wide into you. A divebomb is when the overtaker needs to hit you, otherwise he would go wide and miss the apex. I can imagine, that recognizing the difference for the penalty system is to hard to program and I wouldn' blame PD for not being capable of doing so. The point where I blame them is, either they don't want to realize their fail and refuse to include shared penaltys -to at least lower the unfairness/ force divebomber and the potential inside-blocker not to have contact (currently only the overtaken one gets penalty, no matter if he deserves it because of blocking or not) or PD simply has the opinion that what we call divebombing is a regular move.
I think they believe they already fixed it. With the videos, telling us to no make our self look bad and not make contact.
If you look at the WT or the top split races that is how it works.

... and I just had two 1 sec penalties on Brands Hatch for someone hitting me from behind. First I brake for an accident, the following car taps me and I get one second then on lap 13 I slide my self off at Sheene, then as I am waiting for a safe return to track the following car does the same, slams into me, that is parked off track,and sends me across the tea k and all the way to the barrier on the outside of Stirling's. 1 second penalty for not being ghosted I guessed two lost places

... and I just had two 1 sec penalties on Brands Hatch for someone hitting me from behind. First I brake for an accident, the following car taps me and I get one second then on lap 13 I slide my self off at Sheene, then as I am waiting for a safe return to track the following car does the same, slams into me, that is parked off track,and sends me across the tea k and all the way to the barrier on the outside of Stirling's. 1 second penalty for not being ghosted I guessed two lost places
Happened to me at Monza a few weeks back. Had gone off at Lesmo 2, was still fully off track when another guy went wide long after I had bought it, and when he hit me from behind I got another penalty that essentially ended my race and relegated me to last place.

The problem is that the game only looks at what happens after the impact, and what happens after a divebomb is basically the same as what happens when someone turns in on another car making a legitimate overtake. To recognise dive-bombing, the game would have to record the gap at the start of the braking zone, and set parameters for what is an acceptable gap and what isn't. I know in real life actual overlap is required, but in GT that would rule out about 95% of overtakes, so probably have to be a bit more lenient, but not too much.

Which is why I don't race anymore. A dive bomb is not a legitimate overtake, actual overlap is required before turn in with the ability to stick to the inside. It's not that hard to program, however the server doesn't know where anyone is on the track or even where the track is.

For a physics based game it's appalling it cannot use its physics engine to figure out what a legitimate move is and what isn't. It's not rocket science, just high school physics. Current speed vector plus max possible deceleration and cornering friction determines whether you can make the corner while leaving room for other cars. Yet as long as the server doesn't know where the corner even is, no hope.

Of course there is a 'grey' area where the inside over taker goes wide at the apex leaving the defender the option to under cut. A valid yet risky move for both cars. In case of contact, shared blame. Defender turns in on attacker while attacker is within the cars abilities to hug the inside, penalty for defender. Attacker has too much speed to make the corner without going wide or doesn't have significant overlap before turn in, penalty for attacker.

It's not that complicated, yet the game manages to give you a penalty when the attacker punts you wide. or even off. from behind.

Penalising the car behind would be a good start. It's pretty widely accepted in real life racing that it's their responsibility to make a clean pass, as long as the car in front isn't weaving in the braking zone.

The easiest thing to do at this point also makes the most sense, go back to the shared blame system, that way the dirty driver gets no benefit and both try to race without contact. Polyphony has the worst possible situation now where the clean driver is penalized.

This is driving me insane. My SR has gone all the way from S to B just today because of drivers dive bombing corners at me. It’s absolutely crazy. Now I cannot even have an enjoyable race as it’s like dogems. My only option is to let me DR rating dive in order to get SR back up by hanging at the back and having a few clean races.

There’s so much to enjoy about this game. But the SR system is so terrible, it pretty much ruins the whole thing. I’m really close to just giving up on it. Might be time to look at project cars 2 again...

It's not that complicated, yet the game manages to give you a penalty when the attacker punts you wide. or even off. from behind.
Penalising the car behind would be a good start. It's pretty widely accepted in real life racing that it's their responsibility to make a clean pass, as long as the car in front isn't weaving in the braking zone.

I got in a situation earlier this year where some jerk brake checked me. True, it was on a straight, but at least the right person got the penalty. I swear when I hit him I was going to see the big red timer flashing at me. It happened on lap 1.

Well folks. That’s me officially done. Just got a red SR warning because some dude with 1 red bar WiFi jumping all over the road clattered into me. This has utterly ruined the experience of this game sadly. I just can’t enjoy it while this awful SR system is operating like this.

This is driving me insane. My SR has gone all the way from S to B just today because of drivers dive bombing corners at me. It’s absolutely crazy. Now I cannot even have an enjoyable race as it’s like dogems. My only option is to let me DR rating dive in order to get SR back up by hanging at the back and having a few clean races.

There’s so much to enjoy about this game. But the SR system is so terrible, it pretty much ruins the whole thing. I’m really close to just giving up on it. Might be time to look at project cars 2 again...

Or 3 https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-04-project-cars-3-takes-the-series-on-a-new-direction
Set to release during summer.

It somehow gets better in SR.C. SR.B is the dog house.

Or 3 https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-04-project-cars-3-takes-the-series-on-a-new-direction
Set to release during summer.

It somehow gets better in SR.C. SR.B is the dog house.

I knew it was coming, but hadn’t realise it’s a summer release. I guess I’ll keep getting angry with GT until then. But the SR system truly is awful and has all but ended this game for me. There’s so much to like, but while I’m getting penalised for simply following the racing line whereas people can side slam you off the track without anything... it’s just a joke.

edit - I just watched the gameplay footage. PC3 looks like Crazy Taxi. What have they done??? And the music...it’s awful. I’ll wait with trepidation before buying....

Last edited:
Well folks. That’s me officially done.
It's just sad that they discourage a big percentage of ambitious drivers.
Wonder if it's more than 50%
I also quit for about a year, returning after the latest "penalty fix".
Slight improvement, but still on the verge of quitting again.

Problem is alternatives are not that great.

It's just sad that they discourage a big percentage of ambitious drivers.
Wonder if it's more than 50%
I also quit for about a year, returning after the latest "penalty fix".
Slight improvement, but still on the verge of quitting again.

Problem is alternatives are not that great.

Yeah it’s a bit of a sticking point unfortunately. I fully appreciate it will never be perfect, but I’d say considerably over 50% of races are ruined for me due to being battered off the track and/or getting an at penalty having done nothing wrong. My Dr rating suffers as a result as I then have to drive like an old lady to recover my Sr rating. I’m only one person but I can imagine this is common to many who are “getting into” the game - I was starting to get a little quicker and competing against better players but my progress is constantly hindered by this system.

I have actually uninstalled the game today. Yes, there’s a cliche ragequit element but at the end of the day it’s a game I play for pleasure. If I’m not enjoying it, what’s the point. I can go play something that is fun. Perhaps PC3 will be a better online racing experience (although those cartoony pop-ups fill me with arcade racing dread).

Apart from the two one second penalties I got on Brands Hatch I haven't gotten a penalty for weeks. Yet I race and I gain DR. I just changed the way I race. I realize this is by no means a way of totally avoid penalties but it drastically reduces them.
I lost.7k DR Bucks learning to drive manually gear box in game, but now I gain every day.
The milder environment I am in might partially be down to low Dr but the racing is ok.
Screenshot_20200605-183042_Companion.jpg

Apart from the two one second penalties I got on Brands Hatch I haven't gotten a penalty for weeks. Yet I race and I gain DR. I just changed the way I race. I realize this is by no means a way of totally avoid penalties but it drastically reduces them.
I lost.7k DR Bucks learning to drive manually gear box in game, but now I gain every day.
The milder environment I am in might partially be down to low Dr but the racing is ok.View attachment 927509

Did you get out the car and head-but someone in 22/5??

Back