PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Experiment over.
Back to S sr. With a concerted sober effort from sr1 it took about 6-7 hours...
The last race was fabulous, back with S folks, great race! Won by .2! Faith in GTS restored...I feel this is the best I’ve seen the sr system...

Last Race C I did, I checked accounts of people I raced and 10 / 20 had recent DR resets including one after the race. It's rendering DR meaningless, I raced with DR Cs/Bs who originally were DR As and DR Ds that were Bs. It's no wonder matchmaking is a mess. That's one lobby but I think the scale is much larger. The knock-on effect is a bad experience for genuine new players racing with sandbags.

In that same race I got a BS SR Down (pinballed among a front and rear car) costing 12 SR when the race is worth 11 /facepalm. SR reduction is clearly problematic if one is costing you an entire Race C and more. I could complete 3 Race Bs with the CRB for a 12 SR total then have them all wiped out by a single SR Down. There's justified SR Downs but unjustified too and that becomes a problem. A high SR reduction would be logical if races were overseen or reviewed by real life racing stewards. Leaving it up to an AI equivalent doesn't cut it.

That being said, it's good the system is making drivers weary of contact. I haven't witnessed that as consistently since 2018 with the old shared fault system. Bump passers have been able to get away with it for so long. I may sound against the current system but I'm on the fence. I've seen good arguments here and I think it's difficult for PD to find a balance between strictness and making SR stupidly easy to farm back. I'm edging more towards strictness with a light toning down on SR reduction.

Something that's on my mind for a while is PD communication and feedback. It's lacking and almost non-existent apart from one dev Tweet back in March acknowledging side-contact penalty problems because aliens kicked up a storm. Explain changes to the system, what are the goals by making them. Why was SR Down increased from 10 to 12 while leaving malicious driving/dive-bombing penalties untouched at -10. Why remove a shared fault system when your competitors are using one and proven it to work. Are changes planned for GT7 which were not possible with PS4 hardware. I think Kaz should be interviewed again, it's over a year since last time and a lot has changed in that period. Why not ask the community for feedback in the form of an in-game survey too.

Experiment over.
Back to S sr. With a concerted sober effort from sr1 it took about 6-7 hours...
The last race was fabulous, back with S folks, great race! Won by .2! Faith in GTS restored...I feel this is the best I’ve seen the sr system...

Come on Fish, you know how it's really going to be...

Come on Fish, you know how it's really going to be...

It’s HOT in the jungle

and some say never go full...whatever...

But I SAY go ahead. Do your worst. It’s fun for a while, and you will learn. You can be the best.

I almost went g and r patience, but too obvious. Low sr sucks my advice is bash everyone have fun with it. You will come out stronger and wiser!
I say go ahead at low sr...Let yourself go, smash anyone you feel like...Go to DIRTY WAR.

Last edited:
In my opinion the recent penalty system is the worst we´ve ever had in GT Sport.
I don´t understand how they manage to make it worse with every update. The system was never perfect but good clean racing is almost impossible at the moment. The system gives penaltys for the slightest touches no matter if it´s your fault or not. You even get a 5 sec penalty if someone crashes you off the track. :banghead:

I got a DR reset from A+/S to A/B just because one driver started to knock me off and brake-check me. 🤬

Last edited:
My own SR graph also highlights the recent struggle to stay at 99. The penalty system pushed me away from the game finally. It's no longer realistic or fun.

Attachments

• pss.png
    pss.png
    13 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Gr 1 at Nurburgring GP... saw my SR drop like a bomb and hit SR C, causing a reset.
Lost 25k points in one race. Fine.

Working my way back up. After 7 consecutive Clean Races at 99 points I just had a bad race and got a 1sec penalty sending my SR down to 72... :ouch:

Stupid and still a POS system

In my opinion the recent penalty system is the worst we´ve ever had in GT Sport.
I don´t understand how they manage to make it worse with every update. The system was never perfect but good clean racing is almost impossible at the moment. The system gives penaltys for the slightest touches no matter if it´s your fault or not. You even get a 5 sec penalty if someone crashes you off the track. :banghead:

I got a DR reset from A+/S to A/B just because one driver started to knock me off and brake-check me. 🤬

There's nothing wrong with the penalty system. It's the best it's ever been imo. I think it was all your fault. You knew he likes it dirty. It says that on his rear bumper and yet you decided to race him anyway. Therefore you should be punished accordingly. Just wait for Groundfish, he'll explain how unsafe your driving was. :lol: I'm just joking of course. The guy sure likes it dirty though.

Lah-di-dah-SR-History.jpg

Now he'll just do a couple of clean races and he's right back at SR 99 ready to reset someone else. No problem. Great job, PD.

EDIT:
This video is also a perfect example of the "lower DR armour". Especially the brake check. At the time of the race yours was way higher than his and ergo, by PD's logic, every contact with him was your fault. Seriously, who the 🤬 came up with that???

Last edited:
Penalty System is so bad, I ignore this game. I prefer playing this with a controller rather than taking it seriously.

Another Japanese Game Studio antic, %90 of the players are from Western (Europe, America) so they don't listen to their feedback and thinking that listening to his own audience is a disrespect.

What happens when elite players get a reset and/or dumped into the lower SR lobbies...

That's the fear now... that other people's driving has as much impact on your SR as your own, and how quickly it can turn into a reset...

I have noticed, though, on the other side of the argument, that sometimes a player who accidentally bumps you, will 'stand down' the rest of the race, likely on account of this harsher SR-down penalty. Not that I like it, but I have noticed the rare occasion that it does encourage people to drive safer and not initiate contact, where under different 'rules' they might have forced the issue. Still, it's terrible at the moment.

That's the fear now... that other people's driving has as much impact on your SR as your own, and how quickly it can turn into a reset...

I have noticed, though, on the other side of the argument, that sometimes a player who accidentally bumps you, will 'stand down' the rest of the race, likely on account of this harsher SR-down penalty. Not that I like it, but I have noticed the rare occasion that it does encourage people to drive safer and not initiate contact, where under different 'rules' they might have forced the issue. Still, it's terrible at the moment.

I noticed that most in SR.S where a lot of people simply slow down and move out of the way when you get close. It's not racing anymore, social distancing simulator

You knew he likes it dirty. It says that on his rear bumper and yet you decided to race him anyway.

I realise you're joking but you're right. He's a literal red flag, keep away. It's pointless trying to race a troll who's playing Wreckfest. Pass when he's serving penalties, makes a mistake or someone else smashes them off in retaliation. Although that doesn't dismiss how poorly the system handled it. The big reason for the harsh and quite frankly, dumb penalties is DR discrimination once again, A+ making contact with an A or vice versa.

E: Or better yet and it's absurd how this results in less SR damage, ram him off the track yourself, lol.

Last edited:
The game has been soooo OVER LENIENT for sooo long that now drivers think they deserve to be 99 all the time even if they aren’t very adept at racing.
I watched part of a stream from the guy who thinks he is the only car on track doing his petulant whining and crying but he’s deserved sr downs and penalties for a looooong time with his idea of an overtake being diving inside and bouncing off multiple cars literally every race.
From a RACING standpoint, the average player in this game would be black flagged and lose their racing license.
From a GAMER standpoint it’s like there is this attitude that it’s okay to bounce off other cars if they are slower than you, and receiving a penalty is the fault of PD.
This game has PLAYERBASE.
Races every few minutes...
The play has to be fair tho.
If contact is not strictly forbidden nothing matters it just becomes a joke that’s no longer a contest of skill.
Diving punting sideswiping will become normal again and all the good players will just leave.
Last night at 96-99 on c race the system worked perfectly. Good hard racing, contact yes-even got a minor ping pong back to front in turn one-no penalty no sr down...
Imo they should just go #sharedfault like all the best games do.
They could easily make it stricter than it is right now from a FairPlay standpoint.
It would favor players who are in control of their vehicles and know how to race, which going by KP to define average, the “average” player has no clue how to do, at least on NA server.
Strict is fair and leads to racers being able to defend and attack properly.
Make it lenient like all the crybaby entitled whiner streamers want and it just makes a mockery of racing and becomes Mariokart like before the update.
I don’t want that myself.
If they roll it back I’ll just play ACC when I want to RACE, and switch to GTS when I wanna have a few beers and play Mariokart with good graphics.
GTS is BETTER THAN THAT.
I hope PD sticks to their guns here, because the system is getting closer to being really good.
I’d say now it’s decent, which is the BEST it’s been in 2 YEARS.
You can get good racing right now imo.
I don’t see why players who like contact every race are crying, just stay b sr or c where that behavior is expected, I think that’s what quite a few incompetent previously A S players have done.
They can have their fun and people who like it more clean have the S rooms.
Jmo ymmv

Edit re racing, I was racing an event with @Kermit_2142 chasing me at Laguna Seca, he had more pace than me and I was ahead, he made some nice mental pressure on me by showing in the mirror in some dangerous areas, and was able to mess up my concentration and forced me into a defensive posture and ultimately into an error and made the overtake cleanly, after 5-6 laps THAT is racing.
I had a good laugh with him after, it was fun :)
Bonking people and bouncing off cars is just not what I prefer although many enjoy it ::shrug::

Last edited:
I watched part of a stream from the guy who thinks he is the only car on track doing his petulant whining and crying but he’s deserved sr downs and penalties for a looooong time with his idea of an overtake being diving inside and bouncing off multiple cars literally every race.
I think all of us who have raced top split in Europe know who you are talking about :lol:

The game does NOT LIKE contact from front of your car to the car in front of you in high speed turns right now!
@GOTMAXPOWER your example...It’s like the downhill right at the end of the backstraight on Autopolis. The slightest touch will trigger a pen. Imo as it should be on turns like that.

The game does NOT LIKE contact from front of your car to the car in front of you in high speed turns right now!
@GOTMAXPOWER your example...It’s like the downhill right at the end of the backstraight on Autopolis. The slightest touch will trigger a pen. Imo as it should be on turns like that.
I can't agree, I think in that incident there was a legitimate chance of an overtake but the chance closed up, we touched but no big deal I pulled out of the move and no harm was done for either car, there isn't any need to punish anybody for moments like that, I don't look at that and think he should be punished too (as a shared fault system would). No harm, no foul needs to be factored into the penalty algorithm, if every touch has to be penalised it's impossible to have races, you have qualifying then driving around in a line.

I can't agree, I think in that incident there was a legitimate chance of an overtake but the chance closed up, we touched but no big deal I pulled out of the move and no harm was done for either car, there isn't any need to punish anybody for moments like that, I don't look at that and think he should be punished too (as a shared fault system would). No harm, no foul needs to be factored into the penalty algorithm, if every touch has to be penalised it's impossible to have races, you have qualifying then driving around in a line.

I would like to see that register as a contact in a #sharedfault system for both players, then use @Pigems idea and keep a running queue of contacts.
At some point it may or may not trigger an sr down or penalty, but I would maintain in certain corners no touch should be allowed like certain high speed turns where a little nudge could cause either an off or lose the player ahead time, even if it’s not much.
I think under a system like #sharedfault that contact you showed would be a minor contact recorded but obviously no penalty given for that.
To me, I just think that the way this games system is more strict is better than less.
That’s jmo.
I do think currently the severity of what’s allowed changes by track and specific track area, which I think is a good thing.
You are much faster than I am tho, so it’s jmo :)

First post here... some dude decides to mess up his entry into turn 4(the one after the 2nd DRS zone) at RBR, joins the track DIAGONALLY, hits me, and I get a 1 sec penalty first, and then a 4 sec, making a 5 second penalty because some guy messed up T4!?

I've gone from B/A to C/D in one session today and the majority of SR downs are where hotheads have collided with me. On the grid I've had pole position, 2nd and 3rd regularly and have been taken out by the hotheads in races A , B & C. It seems to me that you just cannot progress in this stupid game.

It seems to me that you just cannot progress in this stupid game

The only way I managed to progress was focusing in on a certain race.
I was almost going to post about this elsewhere but I just find it too hard to race well when switching races.
Just one, it’s doable...

From 99 to 56 in one stupid worthless Red Bull Ring race. God this track sucks.

I’ll just drop back to last position in the start immediately because there’s no point in trying to get my SR back starting midpack in SR B, it’ll just be a complete waste of time.

From 99 to 56 in one stupid worthless Red Bull Ring race. God this track sucks.

I’ll just drop back to last position in the start immediately because there’s no point in trying to get my SR back starting midpack in SR B, it’ll just be a complete waste of time.

I feel your pain!

Had some good races this morning, SR at 99 and made DR gains. Got to my highest DR and was thinking I shouldn't push my luck, but, hey, they'd been good clean races, people giving each other room and respect. Surely one more can't hurt.

How wrong I was, down to the fifties in one race. I've spent the rest of the day trying to repair the damage but it's mayhem! 2 steps forward and three back. You give people room to make clean passes and they still drive into you! I have never seen so many people just pushed of the track.

Really had enough of it, but my SR won't rebuild itself!

Edit - Two CRB, go for a third, get hit from behind twice and receive two SR downs. Now worse off than when I started!

Last edited:
I don’t know what the solution is but racing is cleaner now in general everyone is giving more space. I think people will accept the SR system, it’s the penalties that are driving people away. Maybe we scrap penalties completely and just run a strict SR system.

I was racing an event with @Kermit_2142 chasing me at Laguna Seca, he had more pace than me and I was ahead, he made some nice mental pressure on me by showing in the mirror in some dangerous areas, and was able to mess up my concentration and forced me into a defensive posture and ultimately into an error and made the overtake cleanly, after 5-6 laps THAT is racing.

Exactly, that was a good race too 👍. However with DR on the line and short races, most will just poke a nose in and flip the coin as it’s worth the risk. Hence why A+B are way more aggressive than C.

I always use the fake in sport mode for those drivers you don’t want to go side by side with. Most fall for it first time, probably out of fear. I tried it with @Drex124 at Fuji when he came past me on fresher tyres in the Evo vs Scooby race but he didn’t fall for it :lol::lol:.

If people put down their egos 99% of problems on track would go away.

I always use the fake in sport mode for those drivers you don’t want to go side by side with

I learned something there. Lol one of my personal bits of belief is I avoid side by side at all costs online, it’s something that happens maybe when I know it’s loss of time doesn’t matter at that point and it’s a battle for a position...I always notice in better lobbies in sport mode people wanna form the train ASAP lap 1 for safety but in lower dr sr lobbies often no one relents lap one and you get big groups bunched up and lots of troubles. I can’t speak too much about the organized lobbies available here on GTP, but when I have joined races it’s been a whole different world! Everyone racing properly is a totally different experience from sport mode!
Personal note you are a racer, man. Always a pleasure :)

Back