PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

*sigh* Race B has even pushed to alt account to being done this week. After the race he said I forced him off the track. Time ran out in chat before I could explain to him that I don't have to give him room if he hasn't established position.

He had overlap before any braking area, so if racing were taking place under F1 rules, you would have been required to leave space. 20.4 in section 3 here:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

To me, it’s a sad example of the broken penalty system. You didn’t touch the brakes, yet you got tapped in the rear. If I had tapped another car like that, I would have gotten a penalty. And we all know I have a lower DR than you. This programming of the higher DR driver “deserves” the penalty for contact or a pass when they weren’t involved in the contact is lazy, presumptuous, & really doesn’t deserve to be supported by our continued racing of the game. But, the top level drivers never seem to voice any complaints about the system, so it must not be broken in PD’s eyes. 👎 :grumpy:
Maybe Kie uninstalling the game for a couple of days will convince them to rewrite the code. Just turning all contact penalties off would be a good step.

He had overlap before any braking area, so if racing were taking place under F1 rules, you would have been required to leave space. 20.4 in section 3 here:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Well, I'm not a rules-monger and can't cite the appropriate FIA regulation but my understanding of GT racing - particularly GT sim-racing - is that if his front wheel isn't basically at my back wheel I don't have to afford him space (which I do if even his bumper is that far alongside) and he should back out rather than continue to try and push his way forward (and me aside).

Last edited:
The problem is no defined racing rules in-game apart from two short videos explaining how to not make yourself look bad. While that rule maybe true for F1 racing, this isn't F1. If we're releasing an online competitive game with Sport in its title, I'd expect more clarity in this area.

It's effectively left up to the penalty system to 'explain' rights and wrongs. People then form their own (some cases, twisted) ideas and rules of 'clean' racing under the pretense of whatever the system allows them to get away with. Add different severity in punishment or none whatsoever depending on your DR and it all becomes a mess.

Last edited:
A newb penalty question. I was in a daily race yesterday and one car was twitching/hopping all over the place. I hit it when it appeared out of nowhere back in front of me. I thought he went off in the boonies somewhere. I got a penalty.

1. Is the twitching/screen hopping a sign that the other driver has a bad internet connection?
2. Do you folks have a special "nickname" for these nasty penalties when a car is basically transported in front of you and you smack it?

Well, I'm not a rules-monger and can't cite the appropriate FIA regulation but my understanding of GT racing - particularly GT sim-racing - is that if his front wheel isn't basically at my back wheel I don't have to afford him space (and I do if even his bumper is that far alongside) and he should back out rather than continue to try and push his way forward (and me aside).
I'd be surprised if that was the case on a straight, which is what that was because you hadn't reached a braking area.

*sigh* Race B has even pushed to alt account to being done this week. After the race he said I forced him off the track. Time ran out in chat before I could explain to him that I don't have to give him room if he hasn't established position.

Typical move from that type of gamer. Totally dirty on purpose ramming a car with no right to space. In that case I’d be taking him out.
It’s sad fact that there’s people that play dirty like that.
Losers. :(
I experienced similar BS when I tried that race today so I stopped entering too.
You were clearly defensive, he should just take the racing line and crossover on the next turn but many players are incapable of thinking even one corner ahead...Sad...Ruins the game sometimes...
Classic “nose sticker”. Irl probably a nose picker!

Last edited:
A newb penalty question. I was in a daily race yesterday and one car was twitching/hopping all over the place. I hit it when it appeared out of nowhere back in front of me. I thought he went off in the boonies somewhere. I got a penalty.

1. Is the twitching/screen hopping a sign that the other driver has a bad internet connection?
2. Do you folks have a special "nickname" for these nasty penalties when a car is basically transported in front of you and you smack it?

1. Or you, but yes it's a connection issue
2. Working as intended
Seriously PD should account for poor connections by ignoring all incidents or blaming them all on the guy with the issue. I'd be for that and I live so far out sometimes I miss dial up because it was faster.

To me, it’s a sad example of the broken penalty system. You didn’t touch the brakes, yet you got tapped in the rear. If I had tapped another car like that, I would have gotten a penalty. And we all know I have a lower DR than you. This programming of the higher DR driver “deserves” the penalty for contact or a pass when they weren’t involved in the contact is lazy, presumptuous, & really doesn’t deserve to be supported by our continued racing of the game. But, the top level drivers never seem to voice any complaints about the system, so it must not be broken in PD’s eyes. 👎 :grumpy:
The saddest thing is people still defending this flawed penalty system.

Can be a combination of both your internet connections, but generally if it's just the one car that's twitching around, it's their connection.

Just a lag penalty. Dunno if it still happens but I've gotten those without ever touching a car or getting (too) close to them, simply because my car would hit them off on their screen due to their connection. My steering input would end up delayed on their console making my car drive on straight on their console, punting them off. While on my screen I avoid them by at least a car length, never touch their car but see it suspiciously getting hit by an invisible force. 10 sec penalty for me.

Always nice to get blamed for someone else's internet problems. Here's one, I avoid him on my screen, not on his
antHlsX.gif

Action != reaction

My connection wasn't the best either, combination effect, Canada-Argentina distance too far.

Last edited:
I don't spend much time in forums or wasting time talking about GT Sport, game I play a lot. I own a T-GT wheel and keep great fun driving.

All this is then destroyed when we are doing our best on Daily Races and get idiotic, stupid, ridiculous penalties. Today I was on Spa-Francorchamps for Race Cs, on Turn 4 (turn right after long straight) I had a car behind me (not overtaking) who hit on my back and I got 2 seconds penalty for "Collision with another car" !!!!!, I was not even braking. Other, time ago on Mount Panorama I got a 10 (ten) seconds penalty because a car ahead go off track and this car without control return to track and hit my car on right side !!! I got a penalty and no way possible to avoid or brake.

I agree with some comments I see here, stop finding excuses and explanations to this stupid and ridiculous penalties, SONY/PD don't give a ****, they just cash in with FIA Carnaval. Proof of this is all the time GT Sport is out and nothing was done clearly to solve these penalties.

There's only one way to "survive" this GT Ridiculous circus, practice a lot and get a very good time, only then join online races, avoid then all bumping and stupid penalties who just destroy your motivation and fun.

Finally don't get yourself illusions with "youtube masters" around explaining how fast and how to turn here and there. GT Sport is fun but without a good wheel AND MOST IMPORTANT a good pedal set you have no chance to top lap times. Braking is mostly the key to be faster if you want to compete on top level, master it and half way done..

If you race with angry people on GT Sport then don't react to their bumping and bombing, keep calm and drive clean to move up, patience.

Regards.

Maybe Kie uninstalling the game for a couple of days will convince them to rewrite the code. Just turning all contact penalties off would be a good step.

It's all sides of the coin, stupid penalties system who never get fixed as they dont give a ****, and the other side of the coin the DR points range, you take 1 month to move up to nice DR and then in one race the **** penalties put you licking and cleaning the floor on B or C DR, idiotic scenario created to play dices with GT players/drivers.

This one is just funny :lol:

The other driver is clean, we managed to get through Eau Rouge and Raidillon side by side with no problem but the game decided I had crossed a line with this one.

I got same penalty type but on T4 on SPA today. Stupid penalties to waste our efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
As terrible as the penalties seem. Remember they are a symptom. The cause is people. If the people are good. The race is good.

I know this 100% because I race once a week/over a year now with great people and there has never been any anger. Just fun. We deal with accidents, lag, whatever and we always end the session happy and wanting more.

Speaking of which, my favorite penalty ever. At the very end (2:51) of this video. Not me but I was on Party chat ordering the hit. :D

If you take out somebody who has been racing clean you're going to be penalised, by the game or otherwise. Why is one of these okay and the other not?

Got to be honest. Everything happens so fast I can't process it. :dunce:

One annoying reoccurring theme (like the 4 second pen at the end there) is when a car is already going off and you "help" and get a penalty for it. But when a car is going off and you "help" and end up saving them from a crash and still get a penalty. I know it's probably the right call considering both positions but still annoying and it seem always backwards.

So looking at those videos, can I assume is all you have to do is tap someone from behind and then swerve to give the people you bumped a penalty?

That’s what it looks like and that happened to me in the dragon trail gr2 race. Someone tapped me then swerved to the pits. I get a penalty.

I think the "lower DR rank armour" (as I call it) doesn't really come into play until it's high A or A+ vs. B or lower. I've seen (in this very thread even) clips of high ranked players getting penalties for being rear-ended coming into a corner. I think @GOTMAXPOWER has posted some examples here. Or maybe it was @ASH32. Not sure. Doesn't matter, it's been more or less proved. Last week at DTS (Gr. 2) in one of the races, there was an A+ player starting in pole. The rest of the lobby were all DR B players or lower (it was an SR A lobby). He got rear-ended coming into T2 and got a 1s penalty for it!!! The punter got nothing of course. Then, just after serving that 1s penalty, he got rear-ended again. Even though he had already been unghosted for at least half a second, the guy behind didn't even brake and just drove straight into him! Another penalty for him, 3s this time. No penalty for the punter again. I guess he then must have gotten a couple of SR downs from some inconsequential contact in that race as well because I checked his KP profile afterwards and (guess what?) he got reset. Dropped from 55k to 15k in one race because of this awesome penalty system. I was actually going to post that replay from his POV here (because it was fricking unbelievable) but then I just couldn't be bothered anymore and deleted it.

You obviously have no idea who Kie is and you're just making a fool of yourself here.
Speaking of making a fool of himself.
Did you watch his last 2 live streams on IRacing and Assetto Corsa Competizone. Yeah like I said,he will get his arse handed to him. Can't see a yellow caution in IRacing using a Miata and uses Coach Dave's Setups in ACC. Just watched him slam into the back of someone like he's playing GT Sport. He can't even see the brake markers. There is those little arrow markers on the side of the track and he has his map on?Is this guy for real?Perhaps he should go watch Arris instead of paying for setups. He should stick to GT Sport.

Last edited:
This is not clickbait! This is an example of how bad the penalty system is at the moment. Hope you have a laugh here and share this around so Poliphony Digital will do something about it finally. It really can't get any worse than this!

Several prominent YT'ers have made similar videos over the years. For the most part, we've all just resigned ourselves to living out the title's lifespan in misery.

Several prominent YT'ers have made similar videos over the years. For the most part, we've all just resigned ourselves to living out the title's lifespan in misery.
That video is exactly why I take a tighter line on the inside at every turn. Never let someone behind you take the inside line unless you trust them.

This is not clickbait! This is an example of how bad the penalty system is at the moment. Hope you have a laugh here and share this around so Poliphony Digital will do something about it finally. It really can't get any worse than this!

I have quit racing in Sport Mode altogether because of situations similar to this that happen WAY to often. About a year and a half ago I did an official boycott of Sport Mode racing which was quite popular. I wasn't the first or last to boycott yet still PD seems to refuse to listen to us.
Seeing as there are still countless reports of the penalty system failing, I may start boycotting again as I don't plan on racing again anyway so I may as well. As before my request will be for PD to update the penalty system and I will lift the boycott, thus race again.
Last time PD did update the penalty system, it initially still was not good and over time as people began to figure out how to exploit it as shown in your video, it has become quite terrible. So sadly I doubt the boycott will be of any use, and that is assuming PD does update the penalty system ever again which may not happen given the shift of focus to GT7.
I do have 1,670 and growing fast followers on LBRY and Odysee though, so at the very least our message will spread to more people. Maybe just maybe if enough people are vocal now, PD can at least improve the penalty system for GT7.

Pens actually work pretty well EXCEPT people gaming them and EXCEPT that if you are passing in a braking zone and the guy you pass rubs AT ALL you get penalized.

What pains me is prick aliens on alt accounts on dailies who get miffed and game the system.

It’s really NOT the system, it’s the players. No honor.

Last edited:

Things like this are a regular occurrence. Granted, in the second video I had more track to use in trying to avoid him but can somebody from PD please for the love of God explain why my rubbing of that guy is deserving of a penalty while the divebomb and push in the first video isn't?

@MOPARbarrett5 makes a good point about the boycott. I had actually forgotten that was thing. But here's my thing - why does it take something like that to get PD's attention? Why is it so difficult to have just one person occasionally check in with the community and see what's actually happening with their product and player base?

Last edited:
It’s really NOT the system, it’s the players. No honor.
If players had honour you wouldn't need a system. Most of the time when you point out a players mistakes they tell you your wrong (don't understand the rules) or tell you to 🤬 (don't care). So the system needs to change so it teaches as well as punishes and I can't see that ever happening. I mean ever, not in GT7 or even GT624

Problem is they listen. Like when everybody cried in the very beginning. The initial system was great, contact was a penalty.
All the you toobers cried and ever since then it’s stunk.
They listened also about lessening tire wear on ff gr4.
Great job there listening to players now it’s a one make class.

The problem is that assigning blame can never work.

You need damage plus shared fault.

#shared fault

Problem is they listen. Like when everybody cried in the very beginning. The initial system was great, contact was a penalty.
All the you toobers cried and ever since then it’s stunk.
They listened also about lessening tire wear on ff gr4.
Great job there listening to players now it’s a one make class.

The problem is that assigning blame can never work.

You need damage plus shared fault.

#shared fault

The initial penalty system is before my time, so I can't really speak to that. But if they are listening, as you say, then it's really odd what they decide to listen to and do stuff about.

People have been complaining about divebombers as long as I've been playing, they've done nothing about that. People have been complaining that fault is almost always improperly assigned - like to the point that a line of code reversing the algorithm's decision would go a long way to fixing things - but they keep on pushing down that path. Players have also been clamoring for shared fault for a while. Nothing. So, I don't know if I buy that they're listening.

Last edited:
As long as you never expect the system to work it’s happy times imo.
You control what you can.
This game...It’s fun.
Take a more “sim” title like ACC.
It’s not as fun imo in many ways...
GTS is jump in get online and battle, it does that excellent.
Imo you gotta control what you can and you can’t control the pen system, however you can be aware of it and adjust accordingly.
I mean if some idiot like above is brake checking on turns maybe don’t ignore that.
Maybe adjust and keep away.
I think what could help people is not just driving the track as if it’s you and the track.
You gotta look at it as your competitors are part of the track.
I always cringe for example when guys hit the car in front under braking and then pass off blame saying that car brakes early..,
DOESNT MATTER.
Things like that.
The average GTS player is not an expert racer with tons of experience, good awareness, and knowledge and racecraft.
They make silly mistakes then get contacts and penalties then often complain the system is bad.
Well that’s a pathetic excuse.
Whatever system is in place is the same for all.
:::rant over:::

I imagine Daily Races are kind of like going to a real circuit. Sometimes you show up and there's "that guy" (or a few). Sometimes "that guy" is a chronic bad sport, sometimes they're just having a bad race, lots of times it's miscommunication.

Last edited:
Back