Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
EAAC4E00-2BD4-4D84-8370-EB67D086D43E.jpeg

The man who took this incredible picture passed away today.

This frame captures every living human being except one - the photographer himself.

RIP Michael Collins

Last edited:
If your Mum was alive in 1969, it captures half of you.

Perhaps he was referring to the twinkle in his parents milkmans eyes?
I'm just making fun of the caption because it doesn't capture every living human bar one, it only captures the people living at the time bar one. Reading it without knowing the context and when it was taken makes it sound as though the picture was captured yesterday.

I'm just making fun of the caption because it doesn't capture every living human bar one, it only captures the people living at the time bar one. Reading it without knowing the context and when it was taken makes it sound as though the picture was captured yesterday.
Well, I mean, that's the point of the caption? When it was taken, it captured every living human..

The point I was making was that anyone's mother who was alive when the photo was taken, was carrying the egg that became anyone living today.

You can extend that further to anyone's grandmother who was pregnant at the time with any female foetus.

At that time, the grandmother is carrying the next two generations inside her.

So, instead of this image being about Michael Colling, this image is all about every living human captured on a photo?

Poor Michael.

So, instead of this image being about Michael Colling, this image is all about every living human captured on a photo?

Poor Michael.
Odds are pretty good the image would have been taken at some point otherwise, but we have Michael Collins (and everyone who worked to put Collins in such a position) to thank for it. Michael Collins' absence is the point.

Odds are pretty good the image would have been taken at some point otherwise, but we have Michael Collins (and everyone who worked to put Collins in such a position) to thank for it. Michael Collins' absence is the point.
No, I was talking about the previous posts.

It's implicit that statements like "this frame captures every living human being" mean at the time the picture was taken.

Just like when Carl Sagan spoke about the pale blue dot and said, "on it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives", it's outright obvious that he means at the time he said it.

Ackchyually... stop fighting a losing battle and move on.

Last edited:
Considering my post was a tribute to the remarkable achievements of a man who served humanity in an incredible way on the day of his passing, some of the replies are frankly embarrassing.

Last edited:
After his capture by the American Army, Hermann Göring was made to pose in front of a Texan flag. He is wearing some of his personal valour decorations; French Order of Merit; Iron Cross, First Class; Grand Cross of the Iron Cross; gold medallion as head of, and Chief Observer of, the Air Force.

These orders were confiscated upon his arrest but returned to him for this specific "photoshoot".

Goeringcaptivity.jpg

Last edited:
19 year old Vincent Van Gogh.

upload_2021-5-2_9-35-10.jpeg

Considering my post was a tribute to the remarkable achievements of a man who served humanity in an incredible way on the day of his passing, some of the replies are frankly embarrassing.
Exactly. That's what I was trying to say.

The Big Three

Tehran Conference (1943)

Purpose: Securing Iran's oilfields to maintain supply lines to the USSR following the 1941 Allied invasion of Iran, recognition of Iranian independence post-war

Tehran_Conference%2C_1943.jpg

Yalta Conference (February 1945)

Purpose: Reestablishment of war-torn nations post-war

Roosevelt died two months after this conference and was succeeded by Vice President Truman.

The_Yalta_Conference%2C_Crimea%2C_February_1945_TR2828.jpg

Potsdam Conferene (July 1945)

Purpose: Establishing post-war order and peace treaty settlements

The conference was interrupted by the British general election which saw Churchill replaced as Prime Minister by Clement Attlee. This conference was also the only time that Harry Truman and Josef Stalin met.

L_to_R%2C_British_Prime_Minister_Winston_Churchill%2C_President_Harry_S._Truman%2C_and_Soviet_leader_Josef_Stalin_in_the..._-_NARA_-_198958.jpg

Potsdam_conference_1945-8.jpg

Last edited:
11th September, 2001

The moment President Bush is informed by Chief of Staff Andrew Card that "America is under attack". Bush was in Sarasota, FL attending a book reading to school children. He calmly and resolutely finished the book reading and did not panic.

skynews-bush-card-9-11-september-11_5507680.jpg

Vice President Cheney in the Presidential Emergency Operations Centre, located underneath the White House, after the attacks.

Vice_President_Cheney_with_Lynne_Cheney_and_Senior_Staff_in_the_President%27s_Emergency_Operations_Center_%28PEOC%29_%2819296037963%29.jpg

Last edited:
I was working second shift. I came home after work on the 10th and went to bed around midnight. I was woken up at a little after 8 by a phone call. I stumbled out and heard my wife tell me to turn on the tv.

Less than 5 minutes after I did that, the second plane hit.

We were numb with shock. For at least a week.

It was a very unique time. And one that I don't really ever want to have happen again.

341022.jpg

So much 'cool' in one shot. I was looking for a particular picture of Kim Gordon when I found this one that includes Iggy Pop and Nick Cave. I recognized the guy on the left as well, but I wasn't sure from where and I looked it up.

L-R: Tex Perkins (The Cruel Sea), Mark Arm (Mudhoney), Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth), Iggy Pop (The Stooges) and Nick Cave (The Bad Seeds), purportedly at Big Day Out in Australia in 1993.

What's sort of weird is I'd previously heard three of them (Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Sonic Youth and The Cruel Sea) today.

1961 United States Grand Prix

This photograph of Howard Hughes is his last known public appearance and the last known photograph taken of him. Hughes had already had episodes of long-term seclusion as early as 1958 but this was his last public appearance before his self-imposed seclusion and isolation became permanent.

The man with the dark hair on the left is John Cooper, owner of the Cooper Formula One team that Hughes was interested in purchasing at the time.

dk67lep1yh641.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw this photo:

FBf8bYwWEAUa3aJ.jpg

It is almost reminiscent of Haight Street in San Francisco or a street in Greenwich Village, New York - but this is Glasgow's main thoroughfare, Sauchiehall Street, pictured some time prior to 1967 when this row of buildings was demolished, and the monstrosity below was build it's place:

FBf2JfsXsAATIS1.jpg

The 'ABC' sign in the old picture is the original ABC cinema which actually survived as a popular concert venue until 2018 when the Glasgow School of Art/Mackintosh building fire gutted it. The entire block has been closed ever since, and they just managed to save the GSA from complete collapse. I also believe that the ABC cinema frontage has survived too, but the rest is (hopefully) soon to be demolished.

2554.jpg

Last edited:
Back