Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,140 comments
English war veteran selling matches on the streets of Canterbury.

(c.1930s, colourised)

UV710s2.jpg

Last edited:
When greed and predjudice are more important than kindness, this can happen. It doesn't help that this may have been during the depression.

That pic is from 1937, in the midst of the Great Depression. However, those people pictured were in line to get food & clothing from a Red Cross relief station after the Ohio river flood.

Antonov has said it will rebuilt the An-225 and bill the Russian Federation.
I could buy a new car and send you the bill. Doesn't mean you'll pay it.

I've seen rebuild mentioned a few times - I guess that means the back half of the plane is largely intact?

I could buy a new car and send you the bill. Doesn't mean you'll pay it.

I've seen rebuild mentioned a few times - I guess that means the back half of the plane is largely intact?
I have read they have a second unfinished plane. I think the thought was to scavenge what they could and combine that into one with whatever else they would need to finish it out. That is also assuming the second unfinished plane is still largely intact.

Photos through history.
Two of my favourite TV shows (Minder and The Professionals) were set and filmed in London during the 1970s and 1980s. One thing that really stands out watching them today is all the derelict buildings and wasteland along the river. The scale and magnitude of London's Docklands decline from its once world-leading status is mind-blowing and the regeneration is equally impressive.

Which picture did it resemble the closest at the time?
The last pic was what I was familiar with. I was there in ‘07-‘08.
Not sure all those building were there but that the most similar to how I remember it.

As a further reference point, this 1802 painting is roughly the same view as the first three photos of Canary Wharf. The canal on the left was turned into the third dock.

WestindiaviewofproposalWDaniell1802.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back