PlayStation 5's New "DualSense" Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 7, 2020.

1. davidt33

davidt33

Looks very nice. I like the new features too.

Just waiting for the PS5 console reveal now. Two things are on my wish list for that.
    1. More than 2 USB ports (2 is much too inadequate. I could live with 3-4)
    2. A reintroduction of the optical/audio port for wireless headphones which require it. Leaving it out on the Slim was a poor decision.

I'd be cool with those two above included.

MrCrynox and lancia delta hf like this.
  2. Famine

Famine Administrator

And came out 25 years ago. Meanwhile PS2, which came out just over 20 years ago, was the first black console at launch, and both subsequent consoles (and PSP) were also black at launch.

If PS5 is white at launch, then it will indeed be the first non-black PS console at launch in over 20 years...

3. 05XR8

05XR8

My old Dreamcast controllers stayed white. Those were some damn good controllers back then.

MrCrynox likes this.
  4. zzz_pt

zzz_pt

Correct. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realise the PS2 is already 20+. Geez!

5. Famine

Famine Administrator

Tell me about it. I in no way feel like I'm 136 years old.

6. Chikane_GTR

Chikane_GTR (Banned)

Good news

7. Robin

Robin Premium

They also had a habit of going yellow, I guess its how you look after them.

[​IMG]

Nexus and Dezcom like this.
  8. 05XR8

05XR8

Indeed. Always took care of my systems...when I was single.

9. Robin

Robin Premium

I'm still dreaming of a day when a console controller has a VMU style display again :indiff: Such a cool feature.

Dezcom and MrCrynox like this.
  10. Phaceless_Ph

Phaceless_Ph

Good spot, that's also the best place to put it = hidden from the design

11. IfAndOr

IfAndOr Premium

Looks quite comfortable being a little longer in the handle. Interesting that there's no light at the front, I thought it was for the camera to pick up the controller's position. I wonder if they have changed technology. Perhaps no camera?
    The mic will have to be quite sensitive since you don't normally hold the controller at head height.

Sort of, keeping them away from sunlight helps. Older plastic used a flame retardant who's molecules used to break up and leech to the surface when exposed to UV light. Different batches of plastic had different mixes so would discolour at different rates, hence some remaining whiter than others. There are ways of restoring the colours though. Newer plastics are much better at staying their proper colour so the DS5 should stay gleaming for longer. Except for users grubby hands of course. :)

Nexus likes this.
  12. samdu

samdu

USB C headphones? I don't know. But it's possible.

I always wanted to get my hands on one of those, just to see what Sony was thinking. Could be that it was super comfortable to use. Could have been an abomination. Now that I think of it, I may try to get my hands on some measurements and 3D print one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
    Robin likes this.
  13. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Any white controller or console I have around and still own stays white so you must be doing something wrong.

14. samdu

samdu

Between
    The yellowing issue has largely been resolved by changing the formulation used in white plastics. In general.

But speaking of the Dreamcast... yeah, the controllers have mostly held up, but I moved over the weekend and when I pulled my Dreamcast out to pack it up... great googly moogly is it yellowed. I'm going to have to go full-on retro brite on the thing.

15. Phaceless_Ph

Phaceless_Ph

The headphone jack is clearly visible on the bottom of the controller... is the words of Nas:

It ain't hard to tell.

NosOsH and TheGeologist like this.
  16. neema_t

neema_t Premium

No, it's a universal problem caused by sunlight, if you keep your stuff in the dark then it'll be fine but otherwise it'll go yellow eventually.

FoRiZon, Nexus and ImaRobot like this.
  17. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

I do keep them out of sunlight.

18. Elitekilla29

Elitekilla29

I like the two toned color design but damn I hate that it got that xbox look to it in terms of the controller design. I just gotta wait until its actually in my hands to see if its bulky or not. I love the features of the controller btw.

19. aguia

aguia

Make sense.

20. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

Heh. Sony finally making a controller that's more akin to the xbox and nintendo switch's controllers? Good, as I found the PS4 controller to be too small and uncomfortable IMO.

It looks ugly, but what I hope for most is comfort. It better be big enough for my hands this time.

21. ImaRobot

ImaRobot

So it really has nothing to do with doing something wrong. There's not much wrong with leaving a pad out instead of sheltering it after every use. It happens, it's an issue, just not a big one.

22. VBR

VBR Premium

I like the name DualSense. I don't like that they've dropped the traditional colours for the right thumb buttons. I really like the idea of Haptic feedback. Not too keep on the two-tone colour scheme though. Then again, I have no plans to get a PS5 at present so I guess it doesn't really matter...

23. Chikane_GTR

Chikane_GTR (Banned)

Saw this on reddit Fan made

[​IMG]

24. TheGeologist

TheGeologist

I need this

25. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Other than the two tone color, I think it's a good design. I'd prefer a single color and a simple black would be perfectly fine. Now I am wondering what the console will look like. Hopefully not two tone with white...

VBR likes this.
  26. marcvic

marcvic

I was immediately excited that they made the controller thicker, but something was still off for me.

The addition of the traditional PS colors in your pic brings it full circle for me - looks so much better without them ghosted out!

27. TS050

TS050 Premium

Can I play devil's advocate and say the controller is immediately made tacky and more toy-like the second you add color back to the face buttons

28. Sage Ages

Sage Ages

Does it come in blue?

[​IMG]

29. w_a_i_n

w_a_i_n

I hate the colours.

I'm probably wrong, but it looks like the console could be black and white themed too. Yuck. Horrid. A white standard controller is a worrying choice for a gamepad to me. I'd never buy a white TFT, blu-ray player, laptop etc., etc. So, if this a sign of a white themed console, I'd be put off.

I guess we've not long to wait before a full reveal, and then we'll know.

#HATEITWITHAPASSION

30. Daz555

Daz555

My white 360 controllers are still looking brand new. They just need a wipe with a damp cloth once in a blue moon.