PlayStation 5's New "DualSense" Controller Revealed

Looks very nice. I like the new features too.

Just waiting for the PS5 console reveal now. Two things are on my wish list for that.
1. More than 2 USB ports (2 is much too inadequate. I could live with 3-4)
2. A reintroduction of the optical/audio port for wireless headphones which require it. Leaving it out on the Slim was a poor decision.

I'd be cool with those two above included.

Biggest thing I got from this controller?

It looks like we will be getting the first non-black Playstation in over 20 years.
The first Gen weren't black
And came out 25 years ago. Meanwhile PS2, which came out just over 20 years ago, was the first black console at launch, and both subsequent consoles (and PSP) were also black at launch.

If PS5 is white at launch, then it will indeed be the first non-black PS console at launch in over 20 years...

White plastic tends to discolour from UV light, acid from your hands, general dirt, grime, food etc. I guess it depends how you look after it but from the second hand controllers I've seen in CEX etc they often to look like this...

20160810_170603.jpg.fc5d020b43d71f1427b4a636b3f7492a.jpg

I haven't seen a well used white DS4 so I can't comment on it specifically but maybe Sony use better quality materials.
My old Dreamcast controllers stayed white. Those were some damn good controllers back then.

And came out 25 years ago. Meanwhile PS2, which came out just over 20 years ago, was the first black console at launch, and both subsequent consoles (and PSP) were also black at launch.

If PS5 is white at launch, then it will indeed be the first non-black PS console at launch in over 20 years...

Correct. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realise the PS2 is already 20+. Geez!

Looks quite comfortable being a little longer in the handle. Interesting that there's no light at the front, I thought it was for the camera to pick up the controller's position. I wonder if they have changed technology. Perhaps no camera?
The mic will have to be quite sensitive since you don't normally hold the controller at head height.

They also had a habit of going yellow, I guess its how you look after them.
Sort of, keeping them away from sunlight helps. Older plastic used a flame retardant who's molecules used to break up and leech to the surface when exposed to UV light. Different batches of plastic had different mixes so would discolour at different rates, hence some remaining whiter than others. There are ways of restoring the colours though. Newer plastics are much better at staying their proper colour so the DS5 should stay gleaming for longer. Except for users grubby hands of course. :)

Don’t see a headphone jack. Bummer. Use it all the time on the DS4.

USB C headphones? I don't know. But it's possible.

Could have been worse...

what-if-sony-stuck-with-the-ps3s-boomerang-controller-20081201033209544-000.jpg

*Shudders*

I always wanted to get my hands on one of those, just to see what Sony was thinking. Could be that it was super comfortable to use. Could have been an abomination. Now that I think of it, I may try to get my hands on some measurements and 3D print one.

Last edited by a moderator:
They also had a habit of going yellow, I guess its how you look after them.

s-l1600.jpg
Any white controller or console I have around and still own stays white so you must be doing something wrong.

Not so sure about the usb C connector. On my Macbook from my employer, they fail quite often and fast.

Between
My old Dreamcast controllers stayed white. Those were some damn good controllers back then.

The yellowing issue has largely been resolved by changing the formulation used in white plastics. In general.

But speaking of the Dreamcast... yeah, the controllers have mostly held up, but I moved over the weekend and when I pulled my Dreamcast out to pack it up... great googly moogly is it yellowed. I'm going to have to go full-on retro brite on the thing.

I like the two toned color design but damn I hate that it got that xbox look to it in terms of the controller design. I just gotta wait until its actually in my hands to see if its bulky or not. I love the features of the controller btw.

Heh. Sony finally making a controller that's more akin to the xbox and nintendo switch's controllers? Good, as I found the PS4 controller to be too small and uncomfortable IMO.

It looks ugly, but what I hope for most is comfort. It better be big enough for my hands this time.

I do keep them out of sunlight.
So it really has nothing to do with doing something wrong. There's not much wrong with leaving a pad out instead of sheltering it after every use. It happens, it's an issue, just not a big one.

I like the name DualSense. I don't like that they've dropped the traditional colours for the right thumb buttons. I really like the idea of Haptic feedback. Not too keep on the two-tone colour scheme though. Then again, I have no plans to get a PS5 at present so I guess it doesn't really matter...

Other than the two tone color, I think it's a good design. I'd prefer a single color and a simple black would be perfectly fine. Now I am wondering what the console will look like. Hopefully not two tone with white...

Can I play devil's advocate and say the controller is immediately made tacky and more toy-like the second you add color back to the face buttons

I hate the colours.

I'm probably wrong, but it looks like the console could be black and white themed too. Yuck. Horrid. A white standard controller is a worrying choice for a gamepad to me. I'd never buy a white TFT, blu-ray player, laptop etc., etc. So, if this a sign of a white themed console, I'd be put off.

I guess we've not long to wait before a full reveal, and then we'll know.

#HATEITWITHAPASSION

White is not a practical colour for areas that you often hold, its going to go beige!

Looks good though, the console itself might also have a matching panelled white and black style.
My white 360 controllers are still looking brand new. They just need a wipe with a damp cloth once in a blue moon.

Back