Please STOP focusing on online multiplayer!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gamerwillz
  • 185 comments
  • 14,268 views
Funny thing is that you didn't state in your first post that it was only your opinions.

You are frustrated about PD concentrating on something you don't like, but almost everybody else does. I, like so many others, think it's the most important feature of the game, and the reason I'm still into the GT series.

Is it a rule that I have to say that it's my opinion on these forums? Don't be silly. You should be able to see that it's an opinion. That's what a brain is for, to think.

In the real world, you will always be frustrated by circumstances out there. Everybody are entitled to their opinion. You're a human, there will be things out there you won't like. It's same for me on here.

If PD only focus on GT Life, you probably will come here and cry about it.
 
I have to agree. The online component of GT5 is just down right embarrassing. Although, I just use it for races on tracks in arcade mode. Slowly just buying the cars I want to bomb around in.
 
It seemed that all patches which have been released are for online multiplayer.

It's Gran Turismo. Online is nothing for the series. Gran Turismo is all about playing alone through GT Life. Please, please, for god's sake do not worry about the issues in online! It's not that important at all.

FOCUS on GT Life! Fix the framerate, screen tearing, shadows, and remove the game save protection. Make more cars premium!

It really frustrates me that PD still haven't fixed the issues that I want fixing!

PD, you're dropping the balls. GT1, GT2, GT3 and GT4 was so much better. GT5 is the only one in the GT series that is having framerate issues. :(

I'll be happy if you remove online multiplayer completely from GT5, PD!

OK, this is your opinion, fine.

Here is mine . . .
Until which time PD actually improves and develops a good dynamic AI system, the GT Life remains the same robotic lifeless experience it has ALWAYS been. Forza fans curse the name Rossi, but at least his AI modelling resembles something more human than that stupid Honda Robot which is the GT AI. That said, online play is the future of racing for videogames. The errors, uncertainty and competition between humans is glorious. Sure it comes with knuckleheads driving backwards, but when like minded racers take to the circuit and go wheel to wheel all things (ok, not all things, can we get a credit award system please?) are right with GT5. The addition of damage simply ups the ante and the stakes themselves. You may want more single player updates to your GT life, but I promise you there is no patch in store which will fix the lifeless Asimo Honda Robot AI.
 
OP that is a useless cause you are fighting for, the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short and forces you to grind like crazy(it's worse than any GT before it), shows that PD is definitely committed to broadening the online appeal. GT5 constantly communicates with servers, and I mean constantly. This game was built to support online, did look like it when you first got it, but in less than a month's time being in the public hands and already they have started sorting out the issues and quickly applying things to smooth out online play. The fact that on day 1 servers were overloaded due to online hits proves that online is most desired by a great many.

While I agree that offline needs some attention, like fixing the credit allotment and sorting out the leveling up and beefing up the AI routines and adding restrictions to all the races beyond Amateur and of course full damage mechanical and visual on and enforced at all times. PD needs to do this to keep those who can't be fussed about online happy, but they will probably deal with it once the online area is settled in with it's basic issues cleared up.

Try to remain in good spirits, I play offline mostly anyway and don't let the ridiculous stuff annoy me too much. I started to grind one or two races just to hit 21 before I went to bed. But I still have Special Events to do and they give me serious amounts of credits and points, so grinding isn't bad unless you don't know how to grind well for levels anyway. Money well that is a different matter as online is supposed to give us earnings from races...still waiting on that PD. I was stated in the manual PD....Where is it PD?
 
I see much more reward in completing a career mode with AI and earning prize cars than with playing against people with no reward whatsoever.
 
OP that is a useless cause you are fighting for, the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short and forces you to grind like crazy(it's worse than any GT before it), shows that PD is definitely committed to broadening the online appeal. GT5 constantly communicates with servers, and I mean constantly. This game was built to support online, did look like it when you first got it, but in less than a month's time being in the public hands and already they have started sorting out the issues and quickly applying things to smooth out online play. The fact that on day 1 servers were overloaded due to online hits proves that online is most desired by a great many.

While I agree that offline needs some attention, like fixing the credit allotment and sorting out the leveling up and beefing up the AI routines and adding restrictions to all the races beyond Amateur and of course full damage mechanical and visual on and enforced at all times. PD needs to do this to keep those who can't be fussed about online happy, but they will probably deal with it once the online area is settled in with it's basic issues cleared up.

Try to remain in good spirits, I play offline mostly anyway and don't let the ridiculous stuff annoy me too much. I started to grind one or two races just to hit 21 before I went to bed. But I still have Special Events to do and they give me serious amounts of credits and points, so grinding isn't bad unless you don't know how to grind well for levels anyway. Money well that is a different matter as online is supposed to give us earnings from races...still waiting on that PD. I was stated in the manual PD....Where is it PD?

Responding to your first paragraph...

I do disagree with your statement of "the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short"... it's definitely not short. The game is huge. You will have to spend time racing over again, again to make credits for a car fit for the next championship. Even after you finished the game, you still have the option to keep racing and make money to get ALL cars from the game (you don't have to, but I'd like to), Special Events took me a while to progress. The level system in the game will eventually force you to get some experience points before progressing to a championship with a certain level limit. So GT5 is much bigger compared with many games currently on the market.

I was severely disappointed when I found out that the game will have online component. I expected it to reduce the quality of the game, and actually it did.

I believe that developers should be very careful about online component in their games because they could simply ruin the game (like GT5), but if it is really carefully done, it could be very successful like Uncharted 2 in which the single player didn't feel affected by online. A beautifully thought out game that is. For Gran Turismo, the story is different. Polyphony Digital are a bunch of perfectionists, they want GT Life to perform and appears as they want it to be. Adding online just sucked their time out, which could be the cause of framerate dips, blocky shadows, etc...
 
Last edited:
I was severely disappointed when I found out that the game will have online component. I expected it to reduce the quality of the game, and actually it did.

This is a joke, right?

Unplug your PS3 from your modem/router; no more updates...no more online gaming...no more disappointment. Problem solved.

Should I forward you a PayPal invoice for the expert service I provided?
 
If PD only focus on GT Life, you probably will come here and cry about it.
Not really. I would just give up on it, and start playing iRacing instead.

Won't happen though, so you don't need to worry about that.

And no. Your first post doesn't seem like opinions. As far as I'm concerned it just looks like crying out your frustration and anger about online racing being in the game. Who is forcing you to play online anyway?
 
This is a joke, right?

Unplug your PS3 from your modem/router; no more updates...no more online gaming...no more disappointment. Problem solved.

Should I forward you a PayPal invoice for the expert service I provided?

Right okay, thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

It's just certain games that depends on its structure. Some games are great with online multiplayer, and some just don't.
 
I would not have purchased GT5 if my only option were to race against the high speed bulldozers some call AI, And Yes, I have owned and played EVERY Iteration of GT to death in the past. Online multiplayer is a STAPLE feature in any game that will hold gamers attention for more than a month in this day and age!
 
Right okay, thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

It's just certain games that depends on its structure. Some games are great with online multiplayer, and some just don't.

How exactly is online hurting GT? Is it time invested in maintaining it, or something else. It seems like you definitely think it should be erased from existence, and I can't even imagine why.
 
How exactly is online hurting GT? Is it time invested in maintaining it, or something else. It seems like you definitely think it should be erased from existence, and I can't even imagine why.

Adding and working with online component will take PD time to do it, wouldn't it?

Imagine if they didn't plan on adding an online multiplayer, how many premium cars do you think they could have added instead of just 200? There would be spare time for them to polish out these blocky shadows and framerate dips.

Look at previous GT games, I was 100% happy with them. But with GT5, just 90%. This is because old GT games didn't have online multiplayer, so that mean PD took whole of their time focusing on single player to perfection. I do noticed that GT5 is of a lower quality than GT4.
 
Responding to your first paragraph...

I do disagree with your statement of "the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short"... it's definitely not short. The game is huge. You will have to spend time racing over again, again to make credits for a car fit for the next championship. Even after you finished the game, you still have the option to keep racing and make money to get ALL cars from the game (you don't have to, but I'd like to), Special Events took me a while to progress. The level system in the game will eventually force you to get some experience points before progressing to a championship with a certain level limit. So GT5 is much bigger compared with many games currently on the market.

I was severely disappointed when I found out that the game will have online component. I expected it to reduce the quality of the game, and actually it did.

I believe that developers should be very careful about online component in their games because they could simply ruin the game (like GT5), but if it is really carefully done, it could be very successful like Uncharted 2 in which the single player didn't feel affected by online. A beautifully thought out game that is. For Gran Turismo, the story is different. Polyphony Digital are a bunch of perfectionists, they want GT Life to perform and appears as they want it to be. Adding online just sucked their time out, which could be the cause of framerate dips, blocky shadows, etc...

To reply to your rebuttal, you are confusing the size of the game with redundancy, grinding doesn't make the game any bigger just a chore to complete. I would be fine with it if they had a random series generator like they had in GT2, but some how they neglected to include that. I've played all GT's since GT2 and this one has the worst grinding and I haven't even started yet. They don't gift you multiple car prizes, for completing the same trophies, so you have a harder time trying to amass cash to pay for cars that prices have seemingly quadrupled since GT4. This does not make me happy in the least, not to mention that they have races with almost no restrictions at all, why even mention restrictions and not ever implement? I used to enjoy grinding in GT3 and 4 just to get another car, especially when I ran up serious mileage on my old one, awesome, but it is gone from GT5 completely, thus making it a slow grind for cash in races that pay too little. That equals boredom. The only thing that is great is the fact that the used lots are filled with awesome cars that I enjoy collecting, but with a great many of them costing 4 million credits and the current grinding being a bigger chore than ever, I would rather race online for credits as that would be much more fun than seeing the same few AI laden races.

Their time was spread between adding 3D option and making a game that has now been made absolutely redundant by the fact you get to transfer nothing or worth to the new game. Online was always going to be part of GT5, did you not play Prologue?

Online on GT game, perish the thought but it seems that everything is going online these days and gamers pretty much demand it, while it isn't for every game, a game like GT which is a competitive and sometimes very friendly game, helps to create communities and longevity to your game. I met a great many people while on FM, some of them are GT players as well and believe you me they aren't happy with GT5 current online state, but as soon as it is on par with FM they will be in there enjoying the game.
 
Adding and working with online component will take PD time to do it, wouldn't it?

Imagine if they didn't plan on adding an online multiplayer, how many premium cars do you think they could have added instead of just 200? There would be spare time for them to polish out these blocky shadows and framerate dips.

Look at previous GT games, I was 100% happy with them. But with GT5, just 90%. This is because old GT games didn't have online multiplayer, so that mean PD took whole of their time focusing on single player to perfection. I do noticed that GT5 is of a lower quality than GT4.

If PD didn't put online into the game then there wouldn't have been as many people working on the project. Do you think the online programmers could have helped out with making premium cars or fixing your rendering bugs? 💡
 
To reply to your rebuttal, you are confusing the size of the game with redundancy, grinding doesn't make the game any bigger just a chore to complete. I would be fine with it if they had a random series generator like they had in GT2, but some how they neglected to include that. I've played all GT's since GT2 and this one has the worst grinding and I haven't even started yet. They don't gift you multiple car prizes, for completing the same trophies, so you have a harder time trying to amass cash to pay for cars that prices have seemingly quadrupled since GT4. This does not make me happy in the least, not to mention that they have races with almost no restrictions at all, why even mention restrictions and not ever implement? I used to enjoy grinding in GT3 and 4 just to get another car, especially when I ran up serious mileage on my old one, awesome, but it is gone from GT5 completely, thus making it a slow grind for cash in races that pay too little. That equals boredom. The only thing that is great is the fact that the used lots are filled with awesome cars that I enjoy collecting, but with a great many of them costing 4 million credits and the current grinding being a bigger chore than ever, I would rather race online for credits as that would be much more fun than seeing the same few AI laden races.

Their time was spread between adding 3D option and making a game that has now been made absolutely redundant by the fact you get to transfer nothing or worth to the new game. Online was always going to be part of GT5, did you not play Prologue?

Online on GT game, perish the thought but it seems that everything is going online these days and gamers pretty much demand it, while it isn't for every game, a game like GT which is a competitive and sometimes very friendly game, helps to create communities and longevity to your game. I met a great many people while on FM, some of them are GT players as well and believe you me they aren't happy with GT5 current online state, but as soon as it is on par with FM they will be in there enjoying the game.

Now, you have just mentioned things you didn't like in GT5 (GT Life), and I do agree with some of what you said. Do you think having an online multiplayer have caused this? I really do think so.

3D and online multiplayer in GT5 have RUINED the game! But that's my opinion.
 
If PD didn't put online into the game then there wouldn't have been as many people working on the project. Do you think the online programmers could have helped out with making premium cars or fixing your rendering bugs? 💡

No, just sack online programmers! :sly:

They should develop GT5 like they used to with old GT games.
 
I would not have purchased GT5 if my only option were to race against the high speed bulldozers some call AI, And Yes, I have owned and played EVERY Iteration of GT to death in the past. Online multiplayer is a STAPLE feature in any game that will hold gamers attention for more than a month in this day and age!

I have been playing console and PC driving games and sims for about 25 yerars now - I have played my fair share of LAN races, but to be honest I probably have played a total of 200 online races. That would be including all games over the 2 and half decades.

And I have had them all.

When I want to race "real" people, I will do it in a controlled LAN environment of in real life track days - online I use for FPS mayhem.

See how that works?

Different people have different opinions and wants ;)
 
Adding and working with online component will take PD time to do it, wouldn't it?

Imagine if they didn't plan on adding an online multiplayer, how many premium cars do you think they could have added instead of just 200? There would be spare time for them to polish out these blocky shadows and framerate dips.

Look at previous GT games, I was 100% happy with them. But with GT5, just 90%. This is because old GT games didn't have online multiplayer, so that mean PD took whole of their time focusing on single player to perfection. I do noticed that GT5 is of a lower quality than GT4.

Oddly enough, Premium cars are one of the first things I'd give up.

Also, I pointed out that having online would take time away from single player in my question.

Anyway, I don't think the quality issues with GT5 have to do with online at all, but a lack of attention on PD's part. GT5 is larger than past games yes, but it's also had a lot of time and a lot of resources as it's based off a successful series. GT's AI has always been about where it is now, the game has never had damage before (save the very basic version from GT2), race restrictions were always lazy, tuning has degraded in quality from GT1, etc.

I think there's a strong case for blaming PD for the game's shortcomings.
 
So what will you do when you 100% complete GT Life? Play the AI? I haven't played online yet because I am going really far in GT Life first. Online improves the games longetivity. Because online (in a good race, and you won't have many of those as you fall out with people on GTPlanet), racing online is soo much fun. I did it on Prologue and it was great-ish..... when against clean people.

Online racing is like racing in real life..... only without the risks of life threatening injuries.... or death. Whilst the AI are computer programmed _____, human racers are smarter and better. Say you've come off a straight, I can always take the AI, but with a human, on the turn I can block the inside line and have a real competitive race.

Sure I'd love if they expanded GT Life, but online is important too. Humans give something that a computer cannot.
 
In defense of the OP, GT5 needs some GT Life attention. Shadows, tearing and "sub-standard" cars are disappointing. However, these problems will not be addressed with patches. I disagree with the idea that the GT Life is deep, it is not. Re-racing events to up your level/credits is not depth, it is grinding, and it is a shameless tradition with the GT franchise. Forza 3's event list has roughly 220 separate "events" with multiple races. The first pass through GT Life A Spec has what? 45 events? Special events total around 18 more. PD clearly chose to stay with tradition for A-Spec, and the tradition is showing it's age.
 
It's the internet and everyone is entitled to express their opinions. That doesn't mean some opinions aren't just plain wrong or otherwise harebrained such as this one. Sorry, I just don't see much to argue about here. The present and future of gaming revolves solely around multiplayer. The most popular games in the world right now have one thing in common. All are entirely dedicated, or have huge portions of the game dedicated to, multiplayer.

Of course GT5 is and should follow suit. It's the only way the franchise will survive long term.
 
In defense of the OP, GT5 needs some GT Life attention. Shadows, tearing and "sub-standard" cars are disappointing. However, these problems will not be addressed with patches. I disagree with the idea that the GT Life is deep, it is not. Re-racing events to up your level/credits is not depth, it is grinding, and it is a shameless tradition with the GT franchise. Forza 3's event list has roughly 220 separate "events" with multiple races. The first pass through GT Life A Spec has what? 45 events? Special events total around 18 more. PD clearly chose to stay with tradition for A-Spec, and the tradition is showing it's age.

True. What you just said are the reasons why I felt disappointed with GT5.

Lets hope GT6 will be better. 👍 I just hope that PD will read this forum and take note.
 
So what will you do when you 100% complete GT Life? Play the AI? I haven't played online yet because I am going really far in GT Life first. Online improves the games longetivity. Because online (in a good race, and you won't have many of those as you fall out with people on GTPlanet), racing online is soo much fun. I did it on Prologue and it was great-ish..... when against clean people.

Online racing is like racing in real life..... only without the risks of life threatening injuries.... or death. Whilst the AI are computer programmed _____, human racers are smarter and better. Say you've come off a straight, I can always take the AI, but with a human, on the turn I can block the inside line and have a real competitive race.

Sure I'd love if they expanded GT Life, but online is important too. Humans give something that a computer cannot.

Yeah. I have yet to try online, but I just hope that it's not laggy, isn't it? If not, I think I'll enjoy it.
 
It's the internet and everyone is entitled to express their opinions. That doesn't mean some opinions aren't just plain wrong or otherwise harebrained such as this one. Sorry, I just don't see much to argue about here. The present and future of gaming revolves solely around multiplayer. The most popular games in the world right now have one thing in common. All are entirely dedicated, or have huge portions of the game dedicated to, multiplayer.

Of course GT5 is and should follow suit. It's the only way the franchise will survive long term.

Watch bandwidth costs and general network congestion over time put an end to that idea.

We are ont he cusp of the Internet being regulated into paralysis
 
Watch bandwidth costs and general network congestion over time put an end to that idea.

We are ont he cusp of the Internet being regulated into paralysis

Is that only applies to the US? I think I have heard about that.
 
Is that only applies to the US? I think I have heard about that.

Depends on where you are.

There was a hint of maybe a usage limit being implemented on my plan last year and people were lighting their torches. I haven't heard anything more about it since.

Although I do know some people in New Zealand and Australia with monthly GB limits.
 
For the OP:

Just come to the room that is dedicaced to Spec Miata, you'll change your mind about online racing.

Playing with AI is kind of ridiculous to a certain point. I'm so happy to know how I'm good on the track comparing to others players that are doing mistakes sometimes like me. AI is boring too perfect.

And AIs dont share their experience after the race.

I simply prefer to compete against a human that a machine...
 
In defense of the OP, GT5 needs some GT Life attention. Shadows, tearing and "sub-standard" cars are disappointing. However, these problems will not be addressed with patches. I disagree with the idea that the GT Life is deep, it is not. Re-racing events to up your level/credits is not depth, it is grinding, and it is a shameless tradition with the GT franchise. Forza 3's event list has roughly 220 separate "events" with multiple races. The first pass through GT Life A Spec has what? 45 events? Special events total around 18 more. PD clearly chose to stay with tradition for A-Spec, and the tradition is showing it's age.

I don't see anyone disagreeing with this. What they ARE disagreeing with is his attitude that online does "nothing for the series" just because he doesn't like it, when for hundreds of thousands of others, it does a LOT for the series.
 
Back