Please STOP focusing on online multiplayer!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gamerwillz
  • 185 comments
  • 14,268 views
I agree. I could care less about online. Fix the AI for god sakes.
 
Yeah. I have yet to try online, but I just hope that it's not laggy, isn't it? If not, I think I'll enjoy it.


I already played for hours, it is a lot better than when I was playing LAN party on the PS2...

There was cars everywhere on the tracks on GT5P due to lag sometimes but that was rare, nothing of these ''problems'' with GT5.
In fact, I only lost connection once while playing online, not in GT5 but in GT5P.
 
I do disagree with your statement of "the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short"... it's definitely not short. The game is huge. You will have to spend time racing over again, again to make credits for a car fit for the next championship. Even after you finished the game, you still have the option to keep racing and make money to get ALL cars from the game (you don't have to, but I'd like to), Special Events took me a while to progress. The level system in the game will eventually force you to get some experience points before progressing to a championship with a certain level limit. So GT5 is much bigger compared with many games currently on the market.

Just well, smaller than GT4, which I think is what people are getting at. There are 45 different "series" in A-Spec, then 9 Enduros. A bunch of those series are one or two tracks. A handful of them actually are points-carrying championships. There's the Special Events too, which are admittedly mostly fun... but other than that, there's the usual licenses and then the giant money-pit that is B-Spec. GT Mode is quite small, especially compared to what came before it. Which is confusing, since we've had all of GT4's cars brought over wholesale, it couldn't have been hard to bring more of the series/events over as well.

The awful XP leveling system doesn't make the career mode bigger; it just makes it longer. We're spending a lot more time on repeat events this game, compared to past games where there was a multitude of them.

Adding online just sucked their time out, which could be the cause of framerate dips, blocky shadows, etc...

Unless they're multi-talented, I don't think the people working on the online portion of the game could somehow start doing graphic work.

A racing game, in 2010, lives or dies by it's online mode. There will always be a vocal minority who don't see the use for it, but many, many gamers would rather race against their friends (or even random strangers, who drive like human beings) compared to some bots. That being said, there are certainly things that need to be fixed with GT5's modes, both online, and off. I can't help but feel I'm "wasting time" when I race online, since it's not helping me progress through the game (and credits are so hard to come by).

(EDIT) - Er, what RedSuinit said, basically :p.
 
Offline is GT's soul. Where it all began.

Online is very much the spirit of this new game in my opinion.

And I love it.

*Get new awesome car, show it off in drift server, chat, make new GT mates. race against real people, show real people your pictures etc*

and you have the old GT offline as a base to it all.

Pretty awesome really.


edit: I race online alot more than offline. Pretty much outlines what PD are trying to do.
 
Would rather play online any day over the AI, career mode in these times is just practice imo.

Not only GT though, every single game in the new generation focus on online game play, they don't do updates for career mode unless it's absolutely necessary.
 
First they should have remove at least 75% of the prize cars from the dealerships to make them prize-exclusive (and NOT replace prize cars with paint and horns) then add approximately OVER 9000 aspec events with more prize exclusive cars THEN focus on online, graphics, etc
 
Responding to your first paragraph...

I do disagree with your statement of "the simple fact that the offline mode is quite short"... it's definitely not short. The game is huge. You will have to spend time racing over again, again to make credits for a car fit for the next championship. Even after you finished the game, you still have the option to keep racing and make money to get ALL cars from the game (you don't have to, but I'd like to), Special Events took me a while to progress. The level system in the game will eventually force you to get some experience points before progressing to a championship with a certain level limit. So GT5 is much bigger compared with many games currently on the market.

Having to do something over and over again is not a sign of something being huge. Quite the opposite.

The experience system, the lack of payout and at times the used car dealership artificially slow the player down.

First they should have remove at least 75% of the prize cars from the dealerships to make them prize-exclusive (and NOT replace prize cars with paint and horns) then add approximately OVER 9000 aspec events with more prize exclusive cars THEN focus on online, graphics, etc

Once upon a time i would have disagreed with you. I once called for all cars to be buyable but having some of the more expensive cars as winnable prizes would make them far more easier to win ironically.
 
Also online mode is essentially doing the same thing over and over again with different people, so while it's fun once in a while the career mode is where I'm usually at.
 
I'll be happy if you remove online multiplayer completely from GT5, PD!

Had they did this they would have lost about three quarters of their sales easily.
 
I'm sorry, but I don't, no CAN'T understand this point of view. How on earth could being able to race with other people over the internet NOT be good for the series? Racing against people (especially in events that will be organized here) will be amazing, and far better than the experience while playing by yourself. I just don't understand.

I also am at complete odds at this guys views and to be frank think he is nuts, and no I'm not saying that to be offensive I just see it as a ludicrous thing to want. Focusing only on the Offline mode as he says would be hugely dissapointing to me and would ruin gt5 or any future games. The offline mode is bad enough as it is, imagine having nothing else to turn to.
I see the offline mode as a gateway or preparation for real fun part of the game and thats the online modes. Offline mode will always have its place, but it will always be caged up in its own world with no one to share the experience with and only play a limited roll. The only reason GT has been offline only in the past is technical limitations, not the desire to make it like that.
I guess it just shows how different people are. Unless the OP guy is like 8 years old. Then I can understand how he can still be happy with just racing 0s and 1s and collecting cars and tuning them for hp, but for me thats just a complete waste of time and I get no satisfaction out of it.

I mean that gone are the innocent days of gt1 and 2 where everything was groundbreaking new and exciting and you had fun in leveling up and collecting cars along with the actual unparalleled racing experience, but these days we have that by the bucket loads, and in gt5 the offline mode is just a series of tedious and pointless race after another to get more money or exp so your not stuck with the default things the game has to offer.

Heck dude, even in the old Gt1 games, the most awesome and inspiring part of them was taking your memory card to a friends place to race against them using your own garage cars. IF developers had access to networked system back them they would have jumped on it because its the way things should go. People want to share things with others. I don't know why you would be happy grinding away with only lifeless AI.
One exception is the special events, which I do enjoy. Now its more of that kind of offline game play I would want, and less of the beginner Amateur expert, etc type races which are really just a formula of using a faster with in turn faster AI and increasing laps, rinse and repeat about a million times. But I also understand that this has been the core of GT in all the past games and why many people will complain if they abolish it altogether, I don't want that gone altogether either. But currently the balance is WAY more towards offline mode. Im just tired of the grind man, maybe they should offer it for people like OP that want it, but they should also offer an alternate path to people like me who don't want to do 1000 repetitive races just to make sure progress in the game.

Currently the online mode is just a tiny tiny taste of what it could be, and you want even less online focus and more offline, wtf man!
Imagine Ideally being able to have a home tuning shop or garage or house like in Test drive unlimited, and an online mode where you have to to drive the car to events or track obeying speed limits (sometimes) and then enter the track etc, seeing everyone else turn up there, and be able to walk around like in photomode or that psn thing. Imagine being able to look at other peoples parked cars and asking if you try then out. Then when you get in them its their cars their tuning, but you don't get to see any stats unless they tell you, feeling how its different to yours if you have that same car etc, begging for what they did for it it, having to drive carefully, paying for any damages you cause. There's so much to explore online, and you want more offline. lol.
 
Last edited:
Currently the online mode is just a tiny tiny taste of what it could be, and you want even less online focus and more offline, wtf man!
Imagine Ideally being able to have a home tuning shop or garage or house like in Test drive unlimited, and an online mode where you have to to drive the car to events or track obeying speed limits (sometimes) and then enter the track etc, seeing everyone else turn up there, and be able to walk around like in photomode or that psn thing. Imagine being able to look at other peoples parked cars and asking if you try then out. Then when you get in them its their cars their tuning, but you don't get to see any stats unless they tell you, feeling how its different to yours if you have that same car etc, begging for what they did for it it, having to drive carefully, paying for any damages you cause. There's so much to explore online, and you want more offline. lol.

That would be a helluva game.
 
Online is SO important...in fact, it is the FUTURE of the GT series so they better start getting it right IMO and so far they are showing us that they will be supporting it for years to come through updates, which is a GOOD thing of course. ;)
 
I my opinion i really don't care about playing online, it is a cool feature, some times i play with friends of mine, but its not my deal. I think to get this game a real long game, PD have to focus on GT Life more, add some drift championship, F1, and other kind of challenges. I think the A-SPEC do not have too much off competition, since almost every rece you don't have a car restriction or tire, in most cases you catch yourself playing a race with a car that's 1000% better then your oponents car. I hate the fact that exist standard car, i have the game since the day it come out, and i play with a standard car once i think. I really like cockpit view, and this is about racing simulation, not standard cars with bumper cam. Other thing is that is about 50 cars premium that i like, i really wish they make some car DLC, there's a lot of cars that i really liked that's even in the game. Like MC12, F50, Challenge Stradale, Gumpert Apollo, Ariel Atom, Superleggera, etc, the list keep going and going. I like to play time trial at most, soo it would be nice if they add some more COOL cars, nothing like Suzuki Swift PREMIUM, Capuccino, etc.

I am at level 27, just bought the F1 and can't play anywhere. Soo it's 12 million spent for nothing, ONLY IN PRATICE. This is annoying, a spent hours of racing to save money to by a car that i can't even use. Ridiculous!!!!!!

So ADD SOME MORE GT LIFE RACES, PREMIUM CARS!!!!!!!
 
The problem with online is that so far, most of the races I've been in has consisted of at least 50% morons out to ruin the race.

The problem with GT Life is the grind and the nonsensical AI.
 
IMO this thread reads like a massive troll that has evolved into a half decent discussion.

I think the offline component of the GT series has grown stale, once upon a time GT was the ultimate driving game, it was so because it did everything the others had done better and added some great new features. Since then other titles have come along and pushed the whole driving genre forward but GT has mainly focuse on perfecting what they were already doing. Today many people like me want more from a current title.

Back then we raced against AI because online was not available but even back then many of us had the most fun racing 2 player against a real person. Ultimately what I want out of a driving game/simulation is the ability to drive realistic simulations of my dream cars and be able to modify them and tune them realistically and have them drive realistically after that and be able to customise them freely. The driving physics of a standard car alone are not enough for me, the force feedback needs to be realistic, the components of the car need to be modelled realistic and there should be depth to this realism so that it reflects real life. Then I want to be able to compete with my cars and I want the competitions to be like real life, I want to be challenged by real life drivers and if I am racing against AI I want the AI to be realistic. In real life I can circuit race, drift, drag race, race motorkhana and much more and I want to be able to race like that in my dream game as well as be able to just take my car out and run amok. But above all I want the racing component to be as realistic to real life racing as possible.

I don't want to have to grind away to get cars or credits, I don't want unrealistic challenges. Personally I don't care for the game play component if it is unrealistic, isn't fun or doesn't have a useful purpose.

For GT5 to be my dream game it needs lots of updates to the online and offline components and I know that GT5 will never be my dream game. Some of the things I think GT5 needs or I would love to see are...

Online
- Leaderboards.
- Improved versions of the Prologue style Time Trials.
- Championships.
- More information about rooms including driver stats, car information, race rules and driver stats should include a driver rating, ranking and accident history. This should all be accessible before entering the room.
- Drag Racing and other styles of racing

Offline
- Realistic AI
- Test Tracks including 400m, 1000m, high speed and technical. Go to Whoa would be a great addition too.
- Realistic Modifications and this also means they need to be more extensive representing real life modifications from basic to very advanced. Real life engine swaps and driveline changes would be great inclusions.
- Realistic Tuning and Telemetry as well as more depth to the component modelling. Ideally this would go right down to the little things like tire pressures.
- Realistic Sounds, at the moment they often don't sound right after modification.
- More variety in events like Gymkhana/MotorKhana, Drift competitions and Drag racing.
- Customisation including livery. This also means doing away with the paint chips, just let me paint my car the colour I want, I should be allowed to paint every car I own satin black just like I would in real life.
- Realistic Damage, even if only mechanical damage.
- Analogue clutch support and allow race shifts, if there is realistic mechanical damage and component modelling people will damage components unless they upgrade. Even then they still might if they get too abusive but if this is a real driving simulator I should be able to drive a car like I can in real life.
- More Premium cars especially the most desirable cars from all around the world and this should include the classics, this is a world game, it is only made in Japan.
- Support of a wider resolution and a wider view so that people can create multiscreen setups or just have a wider field of view on large screens. Then no one will care if there is not enough memory for PS eye support in all areas of the game.
- Bathurst AKA Mt Panorama

If there is something that I think should be removed from the game and never spoken of again it is B spec, IMO it doesn't fit in the "Real Driving Simulator" especially the way it has been implemented, I feel it adds no value to GT and only see it as an obstacle to completion that I have no intention of doing. Perhaps some people like it.

So IMO GT5 has some great aspects but disappoints on so many levels, I feel that the online component of this game is now the most important, therefore I do not agree at all with the original statement of this thread.
 
Last edited:
Its easy to see the OP's point, sure GT has always been about offline play up until now and I respect his opinion, but it's got to be said that the licenses, Special missions, ASpec and BSpec are just obstacles to getting all the cars and getting stuck into the online side of things. The AI is just not nearly as fun to drive against compared to real people. Thats just my opinion.
 
OP needs friends.
Very popular and verrrrrry funny internet statement this days.
If you don't play online,you don't have friends...
There is a ''thing'' called real life friends,think about it.
What about not to play multiplayer shooters,but play airsoft?!it is better.
What about not to play multiplayer racing,but take a ride in real life?!it is better.

Sorry,but it is you,who don't have friends.Not him.:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Just tried online, and it was a bit laggy, and I had people wreaking their cars at me. The race was a mess. Didn't enjoyed it at all. How come you people enjoyed it?

So what the hell are you talking about? What's with all of your comments about "Online is more important"?! Online is clearly unnecessary for GT5, full stop. My father and I have played GT series for a long time since GT1, so I consider us as real GT fans. We never played online in GT5 and GT5P, because we know that online is not what GT is about. People who enjoys online in GT5 are new comers. New GT players. They know nothing about the game. So I bet GT5 is the first Gran Turismo for most of you people on this thread. I think you're the kind of people who just jump to online straight away when you purchase the game. Ridiculous.

If you want to play online, go and play Motorstorm. That game has strong online, and I loved it. But online in GT5 is just... *facepalms* fail.

I lol'ed at the people who said that I'm nuts. Wow... just wow. Are you guys mad?

I honestly think that most people on here got strange views, or just some nutters. I clearly have met some idiots on here.
 
Last edited:
If you don't play online,you don't have friends...
There is a ''thing'' called real life friends,think about it.
What about not to play multiplayer shooters,but play airsoft?!it is better.
What about not to play multiplayer racing,but take a ride in real life?!it is better.

Sorry,but it is you,who don't have friends.Not him.:rolleyes:

OK, I haven't read this whole thread (just the first and last pages) but I have to chime in here. I just had 6 friends over, 2 of which brought their setups so we had 3 PS3 running GT5 online at my place. Rather than just link up through one of our lounges, we posted up a public race so we could all race together. We ended up with as many as 8 racers in our grids and I had 500% more fun than any loner A spec grind I've done so far to get to level 23!

Online, and specifically racing online with other GTP members makes this game endless for me. I respect everyone's opinion, and not everyone is going to use the game in the same way, but online is a game changer. If it wasn't for online, I would have stopped playing Prologue after a few months. If PD gives us the ability to share created tracks for online multiplayer, I won't be bored of this game for years and years.

Once you hit level 40 (or whatever the max is) and have gold everything, what are you going to do then? Restart the game just for the challenge? I'd much rather race against real people in real time, that's the ultimate racing simulator IMHO.
 
Very popular and verrrrrry funny internet statement this days.
If you don't play online,you don't have friends...
There is a ''thing'' called real life friends,think about it.
What about not to play multiplayer shooters,but play airsoft?!it is better.
What about not to play multiplayer racing,but take a ride in real life?!it is better.

Sorry,but it is you,who don't have friends.Not him.:rolleyes:

Well, I'm just saying. I told my friends that GT5 would be boring from the beginning lol, and what do you know? PolyPhony didn't prove me wrong. It's a fun game for a bit of a stretch, but it's not a long term game.

Now what made me want to play it more? My friends. Even though there's only 4-5 that come on at a time, that's more than enough for me to keep playing this game and stretch the longevity of the game for me.

Also, all that real life crap. Of course it's the better experience, but you don't have to make a claim to take online off of GT5 just 'cause your experience isn't the greatest lol.
 
Let me get this right? You are suggesting that PD STOP focussing on the online portion of the game!? I think they need to start!!! This Gran Turismo was always going to be about the online aspect of the game. 👍
 
Let me get this right? You are suggesting that PD STOP focussing on the online portion of the game!? I think they need to start!!! This Gran Turismo was always going to be about the online aspect of the game. 👍

Sorry but I just got facedesked by this comment.

Have you played previous Gran Turismo games? They are not about online at all.

It could be either PD have dropped the balls or have changed their target audience.
 
There is a ''thing'' called real life friends,think about it.
Says the man on a MESSAGE BOARD.

What about not to play multiplayer racing,but take a ride in real life?!it is better.
Let's see , 60 bucks for game versus trying to tear up the family sedan, eating up real tires and burning more gas than Exxon got all while risking your REAL life on a track. That 60 buck game and GTplanet forum is looking like a real bargain.
 
Sorry but I just got facedesked by this comment.

Have you played previous Gran Turismo games? They are not about online at all.

It could be either PD have dropped the balls or have changed their target audience.

You do know he said "THIS" GT. He made no mention about previous GTs' being about the online
 
Back