Please STOP focusing on online multiplayer!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gamerwillz
  • 185 comments
  • 14,266 views
Have you played previous Gran Turismo games? They are not about online at all.
Wrong: Both GT PSP and GT5P featured decent online functionality. This is not the 1990s anymore: racing game without decent online=failure.
 
Where are the time trials with ghost downloading?
Where are the organized events?
Gt5 prologue was better!?!?!?

Come on polyphony, launching a game without this features....
WHY???
 
Just tried online, and it was a bit laggy, and I had people wreaking their cars at me. The race was a mess. Didn't enjoyed it at all. How come you people enjoyed it?

So what the hell are you talking about? What's with all of your comments about "Online is more important"?! Online is clearly unnecessary for GT5, full stop. My father and I have played GT series for a long time since GT1, so I consider us as real GT fans. We never played online in GT5 and GT5P, because we know that online is not what GT is about. People who enjoys online in GT5 are new comers. New GT players. They know nothing about the game. So I bet GT5 is the first Gran Turismo for most of you people on this thread. I think you're the kind of people who just jump to online straight away when you purchase the game. Ridiculous.

If you want to play online, go and play Motorstorm. That game has strong online, and I loved it. But online in GT5 is just... *facepalms* fail.

I lol'ed at the people who said that I'm nuts. Wow... just wow. Are you guys mad?

I honestly think that most people on here got strange views, or just some nutters. I clearly have met some idiots on here.
Just for your information, I have played every game in the series since the first one came out back in 1998. Unlike you I like evolution though.

It's funny to see you disqualifying yourself all the time, because if there is one person in this thread who is mad, it has to be you and you alone.

Sorry but I just got facedesked by this comment.

Have you played previous Gran Turismo games? They are not about online at all.

It could be either PD have dropped the balls or have changed their target audience.
Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Are you trying to tell me that just because PD didn't plan online play in the first 3 games, they should never give it a thought? You know that online racing was promised for GT4 as well, right? But got scrapped before release, and it was a big disappointment for many of us already back then to not be able to race each other online.

Your posts make no sense to me whatsoever...
 
Last edited:
If I had to choose between focusing improvements toward online or single player, I'd choose online. It can be good fun, it could (and should) be fantastic.
 
That's fine. My opinion, as somebody who never played GT1~4, is the polar opposite. I could honestly care LESS about off line mode. To me, it makes absolutely no sense slugging it out with a bunch of hapless AI, race after race, just to earn enough credits to buy cars. And the idea of having 2 or 3 laps to get from last to first is an insane idea that has no place in real racing. In fact, I think it does a lot to promote the 'get in front at all costs' attitude that you see from some people online. For me, the ONLY thing that matters is online racing--facing actual, living, breathing and thinking opponents. That's where the real challenge sits in my book. Offline mode to me, is just filler to earn credits.

Well said.

I have played since GT2 so I have played the series for a long time and I have to say, since playing online on GT5P there has been nothing else I want to do. When you are racing a real person with a similar skill level things get intense. I remember an expert 550pp HSR race where for 7 of the 10 laps me in a r34 and a guy in a 350z jostled for the top spot. I was sweating afterwards when I won it. You just don't get that from offline AI in 3 lap races.
 
I my opinion i really don't care about playing online, it is a cool feature, some times i play with friends of mine, but its not my deal. I think to get this game a real long game, PD have to focus on GT Life more, add some drift championship, F1, and other kind of challenges. I think the A-SPEC do not have too much off competition, since almost every rece you don't have a car restriction or tire, in most cases you catch yourself playing a race with a car that's 1000% better then your oponents car. I hate the fact that exist standard car, i have the game since the day it come out, and i play with a standard car once i think. I really like cockpit view, and this is about racing simulation, not standard cars with bumper cam. Other thing is that is about 50 cars premium that i like, i really wish they make some car DLC, there's a lot of cars that i really liked that's even in the game. Like MC12, F50, Challenge Stradale, Gumpert Apollo, Ariel Atom, Superleggera, etc, the list keep going and going. I like to play time trial at most, soo it would be nice if they add some more COOL cars, nothing like Suzuki Swift PREMIUM, Capuccino, etc.

I am at level 27, just bought the F1 and can't play anywhere. Soo it's 12 million spent for nothing, ONLY IN PRATICE. This is annoying, a spent hours of racing to save money to by a car that i can't even use. Ridiculous!!!!!!

So ADD SOME MORE GT LIFE RACES, PREMIUM CARS!!!!!!!
I second that. Also more prize exclusive cars.
 
What urks me, is the online top speed governor. I was cruising along at 240 drafting and that's it 240? Downhill I went barely over that. I've hit 265 in gt life. This is what separates a race car from an Enzo.
 
Huh, multiplayer is the most important part of modern games, what will you do with all your cars then? Racing online with friends, showing of your cars, paints etc, is very fun, and makes the game last longer. I even hope PD will concentrate even more on online play. The real fun comes when you organize cruises, races, photoshoots and stuff with real people, not with some lazy ass AI.
 
Just tried online, and it was a bit laggy, and I had people wreaking their cars at me. The race was a mess. Didn't enjoyed it at all. How come you people enjoyed it?

So what the hell are you talking about? What's with all of your comments about "Online is more important"?! Online is clearly unnecessary for GT5, full stop. My father and I have played GT series for a long time since GT1, so I consider us as real GT fans. We never played online in GT5 and GT5P, because we know that online is not what GT is about. People who enjoys online in GT5 are new comers. New GT players. They know nothing about the game. So I bet GT5 is the first Gran Turismo for most of you people on this thread. I think you're the kind of people who just jump to online straight away when you purchase the game. Ridiculous.

If you want to play online, go and play Motorstorm. That game has strong online, and I loved it. But online in GT5 is just... *facepalms* fail.

I lol'ed at the people who said that I'm nuts. Wow... just wow. Are you guys mad?

I honestly think that most people on here got strange views, or just some nutters. I clearly have met some idiots on here.

I strongly believe that your bias against online is the cause for your less than stellar experience. Did you even try getting a GTP race together?

Online for me, has far and away surpassed everything else in GT. It's the only place where I have found decent racing, decent oppoenets, and decent variety of actual races [as opposed to offline's random bag of mismatched cars that happen to be on the same road at the same time].

I suggest that you try making your own online race room, and keep the bad drivers out using kick. After a little bit, you can get a very nice room going.

By the way, you're completely wrong about new players being the only ones to like online. I started Gran Turismo before GT1, I had the demo disk.

I think you're the kind of people who just jump to online straight away when you purchase the game. Ridiculous.

Actually, that's how the game should work.
 
Test Drive was never about online play either, until Test Drive Unlimited - which is both a back to the basics of the series (finally a Test Drive game with cockpit view again), and a fantastic evolution of the franchise. By far the best re-invention of a franchise ever, imo. I love playing Test Drive 1 and 2 on C64 back in the days, but since then it was all going downhill until TDU arrived.
 
Would like to throw my opinion in the mix here...

I've been playing since GT2, and Gran Turismo 5 was one of the few reasons I bought my PS3 back in 07. Up until the 24th of Nov, the only game I had bought was GT5P. I consider myself a long-time fan.

I have yet to race online in GT5. I'm enjoying the solo mode for now, getting used to the cars and tracks again. But while I'm having a really good time getting my chops back in GTLife, I'm most looking forward to racing online. I liked the little bit of online racing that I did in GT5P, but have heard that it's not quite up to that standard in the GT5. I'll find out sooner or later.

Online is what makes this game a leap ahead of the previous games in my opinion.
 
i mainly bought this game for its online feature, i dont enjoy much the arcade modes racing with the computer with zero feeling and emotion, online is the best
 
Finally got in an Online session last night. Let me just say this... the future of this game is online.

If you find good, honest, organized people, the tools PD gives you are amazing.
 
Read the posts and a lot on interesting points have come up. unfortunately I have my faithful DFP on and gt5 loaded and ready to go so cant answer some which I wholeheartedly disagree with, (sowwy,) However I have always found it somewhat amusing how many others play the same game as me and have different outlooks on how to play this game.
As an example I heard one of my PSN friends go on about completing races in over powered cars and then go on to whinge about how GT5 offline is boring, (surprise, surprise)
Summing up my point simply is this... Offline or Online it is entirely up to you as a user to make what you want out of GT5.
For me personally I enjoy both experiences and would have dropped GT5P like a bad habit had it not been for the online adventures good or bad.

Well have fun whatever you wished to delve in, (calibrates wheel.... :))
 
C'mon, you are calling people mad because they say online is the future and makes the game what it is. Look at iRacing, rFactor and some of the best PC sims, online racing is what makes the game fun.

iRacing is the best PC sim out there and they didn't put AI in because the main focus was online, tracks and cars because they know that that is what is going to give the game longetivity.

You may not like online in GT5, but it doesn't mean that they should remove or not develop it because 'Gamerwillz' said so........ or should they.....

"Lets take out online because Gamerwillz doesn't like it" ....... or....
"Lets take out standard cars because UK-Gamer doesn't like them", you see, I don't like standards but others do so I don't make a thread like this.

You are outweighed by the majority but anyway, Kaz doesn't give a 🤬 about whoat you say or what I say...... he only cares about the majority, which you are not in. :rolleyes:
 
Finally got in an Online session last night. Let me just say this... the future of this game is online.

If you find good, honest, organized people, the tools PD gives you are amazing.

Yes, the future of racing games is online. You see that in nearly every new racing game. Joining a Track Day on Tsukuba with 14 guys drifting with their rx-7, s13-s15, toyotas and more, is purely amazin. Racing against very fast guys at the Nordschleife or doing a 16 man kart race on it, gives you double the fun than the single player experience of this game. I played Forza Motorsport 3 (and 2) 95% online. Just racing against real people or drifting with my buddies. It worked, because you got kredits and experience points online, like you would get, when driving against some dumb and slow AI. Also the flawless voice chat even when you are not in the lobby helped to complete the experience, but thats a mistake of sony here.

GT5 online mode is very good and can be a lot of fun. But at this point PD didnt gave it the things it needs. A good reward part (money and experience points like in Forza), classifikation of all carts in individual groups with performance points or performance index and a more easier and intuative menu style. If you are used to 1-3 actions to open a lobby or joining one, then you can get very frustrated with GT5. In the beginning i freaked out a bit about the complex menu style, but i got used to it. But it is still way to inconvenient.

PD has to bring the multiplayer part to life! But they also shouldnt forget the people who like to play offline against the AI. Completely against my believe of racing on PC/consoles, but i accept their opinion.
 
Listen, its simple... GT5 life is half-baked. Dont get me wrong, i enjoy it...

but you havent played this game until you are turning laps on the Nurb Nord at night in a Super GT car with 16 other people online.
 
Multi Player is a must and it does need work. We need leaderboards for hotlapping as well. GT-Life is to easy and many of us have already completed all but the endurance races. The graphis, shadows and such are way down on my list of things that need to be addressed. More options online, Prize money online, leaderboards and more leaderboards.

As for GT life the best thing they could do here is put back tire restrictions in A-Spec mode, give more exp for driving and inferior car and new events over time and or allow you to rewin prize cars and sell them. Also leaderboards for total race time in career events would help a lot as an incentive to re-run and do your best on each race.

No matter how many improvements they may make to the graphics to run the same races that you have already won over and over again gets old but racing with real humans is always different and takes much longer to get boring.
 
Good stuff. Almost every post in here comes down to "I like this way, so it is the more important side."
 
For Call of Duty games, online is very important, yes.

But for Gran Turismo... *facedesks*


I'll be the only one to agree. Online racing games never excited me. Either u rape everyone in the room because they can't drive or it is bumper cars for every lap.

I have logged hundreds of hours playing the call of duty series online and I'm addicted, can't stop. On the other hand, I haven't even tried to find one online game yet for gt5.

For many people the gt series is all about playing at home alone. Maybe split screen with a friend, but forget online racing with randoms.
 
Where are the time trials with ghost downloading?
Where are the organized events?
Gt5 prologue was better!?!?!?

Come on polyphony, launching a game without this features....
WHY???

I have only played in Gt life and haven't looked online yet. All they need to do is to add more races in the single player mode like GT4, like manufactor races. Where is the 0-400, 0-1000 tests? I use to race against my own ghost back in GT4 all the time to see how each car behaved. With online features it would be awesome to drag against other players. All these things can't be that hard to implement. I may go online someday but the career mode is severely lacking. I am encouraged that they patching like crazy but I'm afraid that it is to only fix mistakes and not add content. We'll see.
 
Last edited:
Contrary to the OP, I believe given the same stale single player experience and robotic AI we've seen in every GT title, PD should dump GT life all together, enhance and deepen the tests/licensing, and focus on online play. AI will never be as good as real drivers, and it's clear the PD isn't interested on doing any real improvements to their single player experience anyway. Get rid of AI completely and let online play handle competition. Expand the online offering with more settings and race type options (teammates, timed races, more selectable rules, leaderboards, etc.) Truth be told, single player racing games always come up well short of great online racing.
 
To me GT life is just way to get experience and cars to be able to play online. Once GT life is complete and I am getting close, the game is done without online.

And everybody is entitled to their opinions, me as well, but the shodow thing is getting old. The shadows, which I haven't even noticed yet, should be at the bottom of the list. It's a racing game not let's take a sunday drive and check out the scenery.
 
I'll be the only one to agree. Online racing games never excited me. Either u rape everyone in the room because they can't drive or it is bumper cars for every lap.

I have logged hundreds of hours playing the call of duty series online and I'm addicted, can't stop. On the other hand, I haven't even tried to find one online game yet for gt5.

For many people the gt series is all about playing at home alone. Maybe split screen with a friend, but forget online racing with randoms.

There is always one, when was the last time you entered a room with damage on with GTP drivers who fairly race? I hate when people say crap like this, then go on to spout somethign equally stupid like Cod, when of course you can run into a room full or campers and get the same crap as you would playing GT5 in a room full of idiots. Your one sided logic is the flaw in your argument pal.

Make matters worse is this line "I haven't even tried to find one online game yet for gt5." You have absolutely no argument, no basis heck no experience to speak of, what are you really speaking about? How do you know you'll beat everyone in the room? How do you know you'll engage in bumper cars? Bonafide crap.

I can't believe the original poster is still going on about this, in fact there is no way PD could fix the offline part without fixing online. Online whether you want to admit it or not, is bigger than the offline. You must be either blind to your own convictions or just simply ignorant. You bring up points about online taking away from offline, but all your points have been refuted. Online was part of GT5 from the beginning, offline was built like GT3's short but offered cars to collect as a way to get you to play longer. It did but I spent the bulk of my time doing drift runs on Trial Mountain with a buddy or my brother, then watching the replays. Playing by yourself is anti social at best, GT is not about you pining away in a room, collecting your "precious" cars to show no one. That's just stupid and if you do that sort of thing, well you might need to go outside and hang out with people a little more. GT is about connecting with others, why else would you have been able to take your garage to your friends house on a memory card and play with your cars on his game?

Your cries will fall on deaf ears pretty much, because they are unreasonable at best. You don't even give logical solutions, nor do you compromise. Last time I checked compromising is something we all have to do at one time or another, you will never get it all your way. You may want to start thinking about that, complete offline bias from PD~never going to happen. You understanding that online is a bigger part of GT5 than you thought it was, that might never happen either from the looks of your posts. One thing is assured is that PD will continue to support online regardless of what you or I say. GT community has demanded online play since GT4, they have it and will continue to evolve it. Dare I say that GT6 will be a long ways off if PD does GT5 online right by making it the most robust online experience it can be. I heard rumblings about a stunt course being nixed from the final game, anything is possible. Game on people!
 
I'll be the only one to agree. Online racing games never excited me. Either u rape everyone in the room because they can't drive or it is bumper cars for every lap.

I have logged hundreds of hours playing the call of duty series online and I'm addicted, can't stop. On the other hand, I haven't even tried to find one online game yet for gt5.

For many people the gt series is all about playing at home alone. Maybe split screen with a friend, but forget online racing with randoms.

So it seems you have never had some good racing online. Trust me when it is good it is very good. I have a group of guys I have been racing with for the last 2 years and we have some very intense and fun battles in all kinds of cars on all kinds of tracks. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Split screen is no where near in the same league as full screen MP mode. I've been doing this on my LAN for the last 10 years in every game that would support it and as a result I have not touched a split screen game in the last 10 years. Not only can you see better and not only are you not distracted by the other players view but you can have up to 15 friends racing with you at the same time.

We do lots of stuff in this mode. Sometimes we will just flat out race for hot laps. Sometimes we will have some very clean races for the win and other times we will pull out the stops and trade some serious paint. So long as everyone is on the same page it can be loads of fun.
 
I just started online last week. Some games are laggy. I noticed if you choose one with the signal strenth bar full it isn't laggy at all. As far as idiots online ramming you? For me it has been the exception not the rule. I have had some very exciting racing and a real person is much more interesting to race than the AI. Plus the AI can't talk BLEEP! And if you start your own room you just boot people for ramming.

Just tried online, and it was a bit laggy, and I had people wreaking their cars at me. The race was a mess. Didn't enjoyed it at all. How come you people enjoyed it?

So what the hell are you talking about? What's with all of your comments about "Online is more important"?! Online is clearly unnecessary for GT5, full stop. My father and I have played GT series for a long time since GT1, so I consider us as real GT fans. We never played online in GT5 and GT5P, because we know that online is not what GT is about. People who enjoys online in GT5 are new comers. New GT players. They know nothing about the game. So I bet GT5 is the first Gran Turismo for most of you people on this thread. I think you're the kind of people who just jump to online straight away when you purchase the game. Ridiculous.

If you want to play online, go and play Motorstorm. That game has strong online, and I loved it. But online in GT5 is just... *facepalms* fail.

I lol'ed at the people who said that I'm nuts. Wow... just wow. Are you guys mad?

I honestly think that most people on here got strange views, or just some nutters. I clearly have met some idiots on here.
 
I loved GT4 but the Multiplayer was soring lacking. My friend and I used to talk on the phone and compare our lap times, race times and which POS car we were able to win x race with for 200 points. One day we got together and connected our PS2s over the Lan and tryed some head to head racing. Sadly we could not use any of our tuned cars and was a real pain to setup. Still we had fun but it is so much better to be able to set at home and race over the net.

It is one thing to beat the AI and brag about winning. It is quite another when the opponent is as good or better than you are fighting for the win and quite another if you are lucky enough to get 10 - 15 of them at the same time. So far in GT life I have only found 4 A-Spec events to be any kind of challenge on the first try.
 
C'mon, you are calling people mad because they say online is the future and makes the game what it is. Look at iRacing, rFactor and some of the best PC sims, online racing is what makes the game fun.

iRacing is the best PC sim out there and they didn't put AI in because the main focus was online, tracks and cars because they know that that is what is going to give the game longetivity.

You may not like online in GT5, but it doesn't mean that they should remove or not develop it because 'Gamerwillz' said so........ or should they.....

"Lets take out online because Gamerwillz doesn't like it" ....... or....
"Lets take out standard cars because UK-Gamer doesn't like them", you see, I don't like standards but others do so I don't make a thread like this.

You are outweighed by the majority but anyway, Kaz doesn't give a 🤬 about whoat you say or what I say...... he only cares about the majority, which you are not in. :rolleyes:

How do you know it's "majority" who likes online? You judged it from this thread? :rolleyes:

There are lots of people who are not registered to this forums. A lot of them could prefer playing single player, and they could be annoyed by the gimmicky "online" being in the game wasting PD's time and money.

You seems to be narrow-minded. You think that majority of people likes online just because of this forums. Look at the wider world. How many people outside this forums? (unregistered). You really need to think about it.
 
So it seems you have never had some good racing online. Trust me when it is good it is very good. I have a group of guys I have been racing with for the last 2 years and we have some very intense and fun battles in all kinds of cars on all kinds of tracks. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Split screen is no where near in the same league as full screen MP mode. I've been doing this on my LAN for the last 10 years in every game that would support it and as a result I have not touched a split screen game in the last 10 years. Not only can you see better and not only are you not distracted by the other players view but you can have up to 15 friends racing with you at the same time.

We do lots of stuff in this mode. Sometimes we will just flat out race for hot laps. Sometimes we will have some very clean races for the win and other times we will pull out the stops and trade some serious paint. So long as everyone is on the same page it can be loads of fun.

I never enjoyed racing online in a realistic driving simulator. There will be lots of idiots who would just ram everyone off the road!

If I want some decent online racing, there is Motorstorm.

I can't understand how people enjoy racing online in GT5. It's just not suitable.

The only reason why I'm annoyed by this "online" gimmick is because it have reduced the quality of the game.
 
I think the majority of people who are into racing games like to race and that is best done online as that is where the competition is at. I have saw many poeple come online for the first time thinking they are very good, having smoked the AI and all only to find themselves being lapped by much better drivers.

If you have never tried a good online race then you simply do not know what you are missing. Sure sometimes you get idiots who like to drive the wrong way and/or play bumper cars and sometimes you get a laggy connection or dropped but that is part of the package. Once you find a group of guys you like to race with it is a much better experience.

Online is the future of racing games for sure and games which do not include this and do it well will be left in the dust by those that do.

btw How can you say it is not suitable? I think it works out very well for online racing tons of cars to choose from and some very good tracks as well as weather and nightime.
 
Back