PLZ no more Expensive Cars in GT7

• Thread starter uwrecker
  • 380 comments

Are extremly expensive cars a mistake?

• Total voters
Never said you did need a 20 mill car to complete GT league, but you do need a Gr1, Gr2, certain VGT, Redbull X2019 etc just to complete the Pro League, all of which detracts from your ability to buy a 20 mill unicorn.

I'm going to go out on limb and say that the only two cars likely to present a problem are the X2019 and the Mercedes F1 car. I specifically recall having to buy those cars for those events. As for the rest, I honestly can't see it being a problem.

Side anecdote; most of my playing in GT 6 was around testing the VGT's - some people don't like them, but I do - when I got GTS I realised that I'd have to actually buy them, rather than win them for free like in 6. IIRC, at launch this required about 22,000,000 credits, consequently I blew a lot of early credits from Driving School and Circuit experience on those cars, I think I'd probably got a large number of them before I realised how likely it was I was going to win them on the Daily Wheel. Had I not wasted those credits I'd have been in a much stronger position on my first play through (when GT League was a lot smaller to be fair). I remember the MiEx cars being fairly useful at one stage since even detuned they were very competitive, and didn't use up any credits.

Although, wouldn't that make the problem more obvious? We are talking about 40 hours to be able to buy just one of these cars, surely that is indicative of the problem. I guess what I want to say is, it shouldn't take 40 hours.

Since I started keeping a spreadsheet on it, it's always looked to me like a 20,000,000 Cr. car (or at least the opportunity to buy one) is a reward for 'completion' of the GT League... I wonder if there was another car only obtainable as a prize car for actually doing that, if there'd be as much furore about it.

These are actually some good ideas for extra pay as well as adding extra features. To add another potential one, if you qualified at the back and finished close to the front whilst having a clean race and using an underpowered car you could get a driver of the day bonus. If everything was done correctly, that should be quite challenging to achieve in most races, but would also have to be balanced against the qualifying bonus.

Yeah, I mean, I'm clearly okay with PD putting 20,000,000 Cr. cars in the game, and I'm against negating that by just giving big payouts for doing nothing, but anything they can shoe-horn in that requires the player to achieve something extra to win extra is fair game. I think it's unfair to set skill walls too high if they're required, but depending on how they handle the difficulty levels, I'm fine with something like Diamond payouts being introduced for GT League events, where Gold is effectively the top prize, but for the Aliens that can still go several seconds faster there could be an additional Cr. reward. Somehow building an economy around decal and livery creation (that doesn't let people exploit other peoples hard work too much) would have been useful for me - I'll openly admit to using the elastic band trick whilst spending hours on decals - the payouts were pretty small, but still more than the 0 Cr. I've earned for 20,000 or so likes accrued on decals I've drawn up and shared.

As a fan of the franchise since the start, I have really high hopes for GT7. My expectations are somewhat lower though, and I suspect the economy still won't be my biggest gripe.

just giving big payouts for doing nothing

Nobody is suggesting they do that though. Just that the payouts once you reach the highest leagues are sufficient to earn one of the most expensive cars in a handful of hours at the most, not 20. That's it.

Nobody is suggesting they do that though

Sorry, I could have been clearer, I meant nothing extra. In the context of the whole sentence;

I'm against negating that by just giving big payouts for doing nothing extra, but anything they can shoe-horn in that requires the player to achieve something extra to win extra is fair game.

I don't mind the expensive cars, I think we need to be asking for better ways to earn coins in this game instead. Right now I think I am at 80-100 hours of playtime. I have completed everything in the campaign mode not including the Endurance Races + the Classic 1979 Sardegna race (the pig Mercedes just cannot keep up with the Ferrari 330's...) and i feel like my total earnings in the whole 80-100 hours is ~25 million.
I think its silly that we can't sell duplicate cars for $$

Agreed with you Ferrari about being silly we can't sell dupe cars. I worked for it, I earned it.. obviously I spent money to obtain the ability to earn it, so only makes sense that I be given the right to earn money from it lol.

I'm going to go out on limb and say that the only two cars likely to present a problem are the X2019 and the Mercedes F1 car. I specifically recall having to buy those cars for those events. As for the rest, I honestly can't see it being a problem.

I assume you mean that you won the others as prize cars, which I can certainly see as being possible for some of the N series races and maybe the VGT races. But for the Gr1, Gr2, F1500, etc, they aren't popping up as reward cars all that often. The Mercedes F1 is 2 million credits, the Redbull is 3 million, a Gr1 is another 1 million, F1500 is another 1 million and a Gr2 is another 800,000, which is 7.8 million credits total. Even if some of those are easy to acquire, it's still reducing your net reward for completing events.

Since I started keeping a spreadsheet on it, it's always looked to me like a 20,000,000 Cr. car (or at least the opportunity to buy one) is a reward for 'completion' of the GT League... I wonder if there was another car only obtainable as a prize car for actually doing that, if there'd be as much furore about it.

I'm sure there would be people who would complain about that, people complained about the Gr4 Supra and that was stupidly easy to get. Completing all events in GT League (as it is in GT Sport) is not really an issue. I can definitely understand if there were 24 hour races like in previous games. Even with the ability to let A.I take over or to pause and resume the race, that's a serious time investment to complete one race. But with the way it is in GT Sport, I think being rewarded for completing all events is reasonable although I'd need to see how that system would work with multiple 20 mill cars (does it spin the wheel but they're only 20 mill cars? Can you get duplicates if you repeat GT League multiple times? Etc).

think it's unfair to set skill walls too high if they're required, but depending on how they handle the difficulty levels, I'm fine with something like Diamond payouts being introduced for GT League events, where Gold is effectively the top prize, but for the Aliens that can still go several seconds faster there could be an additional Cr. reward.

I've always liked the idea of having some kind of skill wall to certain rewards, but like you said, this can't be so high as to exclude the majority of the player base. I like the idea of having a car (or maybe even a special paint or decal) that points you out as having completed something that is somewhat challenging. Cars like the Merc VGT LH44 edition for completing the Lewis Hamilton time trials at diamond or the original Redbull X2010 back in GT5 for beating Sebastian Vettel always appealed to me, even if I was never fast enough to get them.

Somehow building an economy around decal and livery creation (that doesn't let people exploit other peoples hard work too much)

I remember Midnight Club Los Angeles had system like this where you could share your car designs and people could rate them, and if they liked the car, could buy it. The creator would receive I think it was $10,000 every time someone bought their design. This would have to be reworked for GT Sport to stop people giving each other infinite credits but it would be a cool incentive for people to upload decals and liveries.

Oh so now you reply to me :rolleyes:
GT Sport not being a numbered game doesn't detract from the fact that it has a poorly designed economy
GT Sport game economy is good for the amount of cars we got, and it is not a poorly designed economy game ok. You have to grind no matter what the economy it is in a game, in GT6 had the seasonals events with good credit payout but you still had to grind the same race over & over.

I assume you mean that you won the others as prize cars, which I can certainly see as being possible for some of the N series races and maybe the VGT races. But for the Gr1, Gr2, F1500, etc, they aren't popping up as reward cars all that often. The Mercedes F1 is 2 million credits, the Redbull is 3 million, a Gr1 is another 1 million, F1500 is another 1 million and a Gr2 is another 800,000, which is 7.8 million credits total. Even if some of those are easy to acquire, it's still reducing your net reward for completing events.

It's tough to judge, since the game has evolved quite a bit, and I can't recall what I had when. But someone starting the game now can win 10 cars (I think) from Driving school, and 30+ from Circuit Experience, they'd also have a Fair few Mileage points to buy an MiEx car and probably a few DWG cars, as well as all the earnings from these events (I don't know what they total), and the Gr. 3 and 4 cars received for signing with a manufacturer before even one GT league race. You're not wrong that some purchases will eat into the budget, but I'd wager you can afford the required cars (ignoring a 20mil car), by the end of Beginner and Amateur tiers just by playing GT League, with little to no repetition, and almost definitely if the CE and DS were completed first... this would (roughly) still leave around 20,000,000 for a unicorn from winnings in the last two tiers, obviously all slightly variable depending on CRB and CHB.

Maybe time for a full play through if I can figure out starting a new game.

No. You. Don't.
You know money (credits) doesn't grow on trees, and you got to earn credits by Grinding the race over & over that pays well. If you don't like Grinding well buy the cars at the PS store if you don't have the time to play.

You know money (credits) doesn't grow on trees, and you got to earn credits by Grinding the race over & over that pays well. If you don't like Grinding well buy the cars at the PS store if you don't have the time to play.
I'm not sure you understand what grinding is.

Now that we're finally again getting another classic career?, I don't agree. Let this be old school GT again in that sense.

You have to grind no matter what the economy it is in a game
You didn't have to in the first three Gran Turismo games.

Here's some fun. To buy every buyable car in each of the games you need to spend this amount of time:

GT1: 13 hours, 48 minutes
GT3: 18 hours, 8 minutes
GT Sport: 153 hours, 49 minutes

Of course GTS has more than double the buyable car count (GTS 322 vs GT1 143 vs GT3 122) of GT1 or GT3, so for some more fun, here's how much time that takes per car, on average:

GT1: 5 minutes, 47 seconds
GT3: 8 minutes, 54 seconds
GT Sport: 28 minutes, 40 seconds

A lot of this comes down to the fact that GT Sport's most expensive cars are 40x more costly than GT1's (also GT1 has six of them, and the next costliest car is under a third of the price) and on average they are 20x the price (GTS 974k vs GT1 48k vs GT3 171k), but the game only pays out credits 5x faster than GT1.

Last edited:
GT Sport game economy is good for the amount of cars we got, and it is not a poorly designed economy game ok. You have to grind no matter what the economy it is in a game, in GT6 had the seasonals events with good credit payout but you still had to grind the same race over & over.

Even if trying to get the 20M cars in GT6, grinding was not a problem, because seasonal payouts were so big so it didn't reduce the fun of the game. The problem with *grinding* is only when the boredom is so obvious and tedious that a large share of the players gets angry at the developer because it takes too many hours.

I like the idea of having rare cars in game, but they should be obtained by completing a really difficult championship!
But not so difficult that many players fails 9 out of 10 times. And many casual players won't have the extreme ability it takes if the difficulty level is high enough, so that's why there should be an option of dynamic difficulty level. Meaning that if the players chooses this option, the competing cars will go 1% slower by every repeated attempt. Or options to choose whatever BOP value, HP value and tires and tire wear we want.

GT Sport game economy is good for the amount of cars we got, and it is not a poorly designed economy game ok.
No. Not ok.

You have to grind no matter what the economy it is in a game, in GT6 had the seasonals events with good credit payout but you still had to grind the same race over & over.
You can design a game economy around not having to grind to get everything in the game. How many more times does this have to be said?

Maybe time for a full play through if I can figure out starting a new game.
You could set up a new PSN, that way you won't lose all the progress on your main account. I'm pretty sure PS Plus is only required for sport mode so you wouldn't need to buy that. Completely understandable if you didn't want to set up a new PSN though, I know I couldn't be bothered doing that :lol:

Would definitely be interested to see what the net credits earned are after completing all the single player elements, kind of surprised no one has done this before.

You didn't have to in the first three Gran Turismo games.

Here's some fun. To buy every buyable car in each of the games you need to spend this amount of time:

GT1: 13 hours, 48 minutes
GT3: 18 hours, 8 minutes
GT Sport: 153 hours, 49 minutes

Of course GTS has more than double the buyable car count (GTS 322 vs GT1 143 vs GT3 122) of GT1 of GT3, so for some more fun, here's how much time that takes per car, on average:

GT1: 5 minutes, 47 seconds
GT3: 8 minutes, 54 seconds
GT Sport: 28 minutes, 40 seconds

A lot of this comes down to the fact that GT Sport's most expensive cars are 40x more costly than GT1's (also GT1 has six of them, and the next costliest car is under a third of the price) and on average they are 20x the price (GTS 974k vs GT1 48k vs GT3 171k), but the game only pays out credits 5x faster than GT1.
But isn't it ironic that the only game in which I've been able to acquire the ultra-expensive cars is GT Sport...

I must've been doing something very wrong in GT5 and GT6.

I'm pretty sure PS Plus is only required for sport mode so you wouldn't need to buy that.
It is, but it's also shared across all accounts on the console which is the primary console for a given PS Plus account.
But isn't it ironic that the only game in which I've been able to acquire the ultra-expensive cars is GT Sport...

Not at all. GT5 and GT6 were slow - I posted the time taken to buy a single one of the most expensive cars in each game previously, and they're comparably bad (GT6 was quicker while it was still online; login bonuses helped), and if I could have been bothered to pick through the varying values in the 800-car UCD I'd have put numbers up for them too. Suffice to say that the time taken to buy one of each car in a game with 1,200 cars and several above 3m is "ages".

Of course GT5 also locked the cars behind an XP level system - you couldn't buy the Formula GT at all unless you were level 24, and if that happened to show up early in your UCD you were screwed to the point of never being able to buy the car or drive that event (until the OCD arrived).

B-Spec.

And 200% login bonus. And close to $1 mil. per expert 5 lap race in seasonals. And B-Spec seasonals.

I had multiple Miuras in every colour you can buy so I didnt hit the $20-$50 mil. credit cap.

That would be cool if they allowed you to actually buy the $20 mil. cars as MTX.

I'm going to add an:

/s

for those who need it but some wouldnt mind it.

You could set up a new PSN, that way you won't lose all the progress on your main account.

Would definitely be interested to see what the net credits earned are after completing all the single player elements, kind of surprised no one has done this before.

They probably have and I'm sure Famine is sat on all the numbers! But... I thought I'd do it anyway. Will report in a thread somewhere as I progress.

They probably have and I'm sure Famine is sat on all the numbers! But... I thought I'd do it anyway. Will report in a thread somewhere as I progress.
I've got a second account so I can join in with my UK mates for some Sport mode racing together, but I've also used it heaps for testing (quite regularly deleting the save file).
So a couple of days ago I once again deleted the save file to start a fresh game, to check out the offline portion.

I decided it was best to learn to drive first, then learn the tracks.
So I did the Driving School, then Circuit Experience, then the Mission Challenges.
I've fully completed those with all Golds, but haven't ventured into GT League yet.

My numbers are: 9.7mill. Credits - 12,700 Mileage Points - Level 25.
I've won 57 prize cars, 3 of which are Daily Marathon cars.

I'll keep an eye out for your thread and perhaps go into more detail there. 👍

I've got a second account so I can join in with my UK mates for some Sport mode racing together, but I've also used it heaps for testing (quite regularly deleting the save file).
So a couple of days ago I once again deleted the save file to start a fresh game, to check out the offline portion.

I decided it was best to learn to drive first, then learn the tracks.
So I did the Driving School, then Circuit Experience, then the Mission Challenges.
I've fully completed those with all Golds, but haven't ventured into GT League yet.

My numbers are: 9.7mill. Credits - 12,700 Mileage Points - Level 25.
I've won 57 prize cars, 3 of which are Daily Marathon cars.

I'll keep an eye out for your thread and perhaps go into more detail there. 👍

Good work 👍

I'm going Driving School > Mission Challenges > Circuit Experience > Arcade Races* > GT League. Only put in a hour or so last night so not that far yet.

*I'm including Arcade since although it doesn't count towards campaign, it allows for a lot of variety with no strict repetition. Only going to complete each layout once on professional to get all the circles coloured in.

I've noticed a discrepancy between my timings and those on Kudos Prime, I think it will also be important to get an idea for how long it takes to achieve these goals also, but I'm just trying to decide the best method for it.

Good work 👍

I'm going Driving School > Mission Challenges > Circuit Experience > Arcade Races* > GT League. Only put in a hour or so last night so not that far yet.

*I'm including Arcade since although it doesn't count towards campaign, it allows for a lot of variety with no strict repetition. Only going to complete each layout once on professional to get all the circles coloured in.

I've noticed a discrepancy between my timings and those on Kudos Prime, I think it will also be important to get an idea for how long it takes to achieve these goals also, but I'm just trying to decide the best method for it.
Sounds good.

My only thought with your progression is that some Mission Challenges require Garage cars.
Mainly Gr.3 and Gr.B from memory, and you may not get a Gr.B via the Driving School.
But that's not a big deal. 👍

Sounds good.

My only thought with your progression is that some Mission Challenges require Garage cars.
Mainly Gr.3 and Gr.B from memory, and you may not get a Gr.B via the Driving School.
But that's not a big deal. 👍
You get a Gr.B car for completing Stage 2 of Mission Challenge (and there is no garage car Gr.B challenge until Stage 4).

You get a Gr.B car for completing Stage 2 of Mission Challenge (and there is no garage car Gr.B challenge until Stage 4).
Depends on the player's gam. I never got a Gr.B on Stage 2. That's from me starting a new game 60+ times(Did a restart a couple weeks ago). Different updates have switched up my gift cars.

Updates have switched Circuit Experience gift cars as well. The most cars I've collected using LHTTDLC, CE, DS, MC, GR.1 grinding to spending all my Cr and DWG over three to four days, was about 180 cars. I never recorded my earnings or hours it took. BUT, I do remember amassing 47mil Cr before going on a spending spree. Just did it to play the game different ways from scratch.

I got the Audi Quattro S1 Pikes Peak. Which is more than sufficient. Thus far I've only struggled with the N400 challenge at Dragon Trail, since the only N400 car I had was the Tundra, which wasn't really fast enough, so I had to take an N300 up to N400.

I'm noticing some oddities though. Some races only pay out the gold prize for getting gold, most pay out the gold+silver+bronze.

Back