Political Correctness

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 2,889 comments
laughslap.gif

Regarding hacked accounts or not and individual posting habits. The tone of the forum does seem to have changed recently. I don't know if any individual can be, or should be, blamed for it specifically. I'd prefer not to apportion blame. It used to be that people who disagreed would discuss things informatively. For me, catching up recently after a few weeks of not checking the forums every day, I've just seen people having a go at each other at every opportunity. It wasn't fun.

Regarding hacked accounts or not and individual posting habits. The tone of the forum does seem to have changed recently. I don't know if any individual can be, or should be, blamed for it specifically. I'd prefer not to apportion blame. It used to be that people who disagreed would discuss things informatively. For me, catching up recently after a few weeks of not checking the forums every day, I've just seen people having a go at each other at every opportunity. It wasn't fun.
For me, an attitude that could be summed up by a variation on an established phrase is rampant and damaging: "The non-enemy of my enemy is my enemy".

The results of that rationale, and the "swagger" of people who presume their own moral superiority piss me off. "War" will ensue.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted here NSFW(?) jokes warning.

James Gunn is an anti-Trumper so the Alt-Right surfaced and circulated old tweets to try and silence him and ruin his career. Which I guess worked.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted here NSFW(?) jokes warning.

James Gunn is an anti-Trumper so the Alt-Right surfaced and circulated old tweets to try and silence him and ruin his career. Which I guess worked.
Where in that link does it say anything about the "Alt-Right"?

And his name isn't in the original link posted. If one is going to make claims they should include links to said claims.

There are times when widely-known facts about a subject or story wouldn't automatically be expected to be posted. However, you're in fuller possession of the facts now so it's all good.

There are times when widely-known facts about a subject or story wouldn't automatically be expected to be posted. However, you're in fuller possession of the facts now so it's all good.
Widely known facts of a story that just broke? Okay. I'll remember that though the next time I'm challenged for links. I've never seen that excuse ever fly in this forum but we'll see what happens.

Please, go have a look at what these tweets were. That's career suicide, no matter how old the tweets are. And besides that, please stop giving everything a left or right label. They're all the same.
He wrote them, many years ago. Yeah they where questionable at best. But I’m not, I’m stating what happened.
If he was pro-Trump the alt right wouldn’t have taken to time to dig these up.

But I will concede that this might not be the right thread ha

He wrote them, many years ago. Yeah they where questionable at best. But I’m not, I’m stating what happened.
If he was pro-Trump the alt right wouldn’t have taken to time to dig these up.

But I will concede that this might not be the right thread ha
I think I'm pretty safe in concluding that there's been an army of people scouring through all the video and audio evidence that exists to try and implicate Trump or any other existing or potential political candidate for that matter, on any side of the polticial spectrum. Isn't it the job of your political opponents to find chinks in your armor?

I think I'm pretty safe in concluding that there's been an army of people scouring through all the video and audio evidence that exists to try and implicate Trump or any other existing or potential political candidate for that matter, on any side of the polticial spectrum. Isn't it the job of your political opponents to find chinks in your armor?
What?
He’s a movie director, not a political opponent or candidate?
I’m surprised your so non-plussed, freedom of speech is something I’ve seen you push

What?
He’s a movie director, not a political opponent or candidate?
I’m surprised your so non-plussed, freedom of speech is something I’ve seen you push
Anyone who uses their platform or popularity to promote or denegrate a political rival is a political opponent. Politics is a tough business and you have to expect to be subject to some scrutiny. Not sure what the free speech comment is about. I haven't said anything about his right to make those tweets. I think even you know that free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.

Ugh, what a gross stance that is...
Why? You think people should be able to wade headlong into the political fight, taking their hundreds of thousands or millions of social media followers with them, and not be subject to scrutiny for their thoughts and opinions? You think they are some special, protected class because they don't have the job of politician? Arguably these people are probably greater political rivals than a run of the mill politician because they might have greater political influence due to their close virtual relationship with their followers. This is 2018 not 1975. It's a whole new political landscape.

Why? You think people should be able to wade headlong into the political fight, taking their hundreds of thousands or millions of social media followers with them, and not be subject to scrutiny for their thoughts and opinions?

Two things;
Trump is the president, people can attack him for things he’s done and said. Why you think he should be immune?
Secondly, this wasn’t the scrutiny of what he’d said about Trump or anything at all. It was the alt-right silencing a decenting voice.

Two things;
Trump is the president, people can attack him for things he’s done and said. Why you think he should be immune?
Secondly, this wasn’t the scrutiny of what he’d said about Trump or anything at all. It was the alt-right silencing a decenting voice.
Where did I say the President should be immune from criticism? Again, if you wade into the political arena you are subject to scrutiny. Everyone knows this. It isn't going to be limited in any way. It's 2018 not 1975. Everyone knows this. Anything you've ever said and done in public is going to be looked at with a microscope. I can't imagine there is anyone that is politically active that doesn't know this.
Only because America's last serious international Presidential embarrassment left office in '74 :D
I see you are unfamiliar with American politics.

Retired Indy 500 driver Derek Daly fired from TV job for use of N-word 35 years ago

Retired Indy 500 and Formula One driver Derek Daly was fired from his job as a TV racing analyst this week after news of his use of a racial slur 35 years ago resurfaced, but he says the story being told about him is all wrong. The controversy started last week when longtime Indianapolis Colts radio play-by-play announcer Bob Lamey, 80, was overheard telling someone about an interview he remembered from the Indy 500, in which a racing driver was asked if he thought anyone was holding back during qualifying, to which the he allegedly answered “there aren’t any n---ers in this race."
Daly claims he had no idea that the term was considered offensive in the United States, and that it was commonly used in Ireland when he was growing up.

“I quickly learned what a derogatory term it was. When I was first informed of this, I was mortified at the offense I might have caused people. I have therefore never used the word since. I made this mistake once, but never again,” Daly told Fox59.

NASCAR DRIVER LOSES SPONSORSHIP OVER FATHER’S RACIAL SLUR … 35 YEARS AGO

A sponsor announced on Friday that it has ended its partnership with NASCAR driver Conor Daly after it was reported that his father used racially insensitive language during an interview in the early 1980s. Lilly Diabetes pulled its sponsorship from Conor’s No. 6 car in Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity race, citing his father’s alleged use of the N-word 35 years ago, reported Fox News. Derek Daly, a retired Indy 500 and Formula One driver, was fired days earlier from his role as WISH-TV’s Racing Analyst due to the controversy.

So the guy who reported on it "retired", and the guy who said it 35 years ago (a foreigner who legitimately could not have understood the racial connotations in the US) gets fired. And then a sponsor pulls itself off his son's car?

I mean, they're free to do what they like but that seems like a terrible thing to do to someone who wasn't even born at the time. Issue a statement or whatever you like that you support Conor but not his father, but making the son pay for the mistakes of the father (and I'm not convinced that the "mistake" was worth anything more than some media coverage and a public apology) is not fair at all.

It's funny how social justice will do profoundly unjust things in the name of social justice. Social justice includes justice for everyone, and two wrongs still don't make a right. Or are we going back to dealing out punishments to a sinner's children, and their children's children, and their children's children's children?

It all seems a bit over the top, to be honest. What was said (if indeed it was said as presented) shouldn't have been said but, without making excuses, a lot of people at the time wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Society has moved on - and that's why we're even having this discussion - but we need to really move on. Statues, flags, things that sit in everyday vision or consciousness, there's no problem with society revisiting the meaning of those... but a 35-year-old interview that presumably hasn't seen the light of day since it was broadcast? An understandable but oversensitive reaction, imo.

That's a pharmaceutical company for you; your past is someone else's problem. Also pharmaceutical companies: we're not responsible for any flipper babies caused by thalidomide.

At what point is 35 years ago not "water under the bridge"? Daly was just at Willy T. Ribbs' wedding, for crying out loud.

Study pulled because it might hurt feelings

Brown University has come under fire after censoring its own study on transgender youth, which found that social media and friends can influence teenagers to change their gender identity. The university removed an article about the study from its website five days after it was published, following community complaints that the research was transphobic, the Daily Wire first reported. In addition, the findings "might invalidate the perspectives of members of the transgender community," a university dean wrote. The dean insisted, however, that it was still committed to “academic freedom,” noting that all studies should be "debated vigorously."
The study examined what it called “rapid-onset gender dysphoria,” when a teen suddenly begins identifying as transgender despite never previously never questioning their identity.

The transition often happens after teens use social media and watch online videos about transitioning to another gender. “In on-line forums, parents have been reporting that their children are experiencing what is described here as ‘rapid-onset gender dysphoria,' appearing for the first time during puberty or even after its completion,” said Lisa Littman, an assistant professor in behavioral sciences at Brown and author of the study. “The onset of gender dysphoria seemed to occur in the context of belonging to a peer group where one, multiple, or even all of the friends have become gender dysphoric and transgender-identified during the same timeframe,” she added.

The study, based on 256 surveys completed by parents, was published earlier this month in PLOS ONE, a peer-reviewed science journal, according to the Washington Free Beacon. Parents said teens “exhibited an increase in social media/internet use prior to disclosure of a transgender identity,” which led to the conclusion that “friends and online sources could spread certain beliefs.” The parents described "a process of immersion in social media," such as binge-watching "transition videos" and excessive use of social media, immediately preceding their child becoming gender dysphoric, the study claims.

Back