Political Correctness

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 2,890 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
I searched and was suprised there wasn't a thread on this so far. So I have plugged the gap and made one.

Whats your view, do you think its taken too far, any funny examples?

Lets discuss people.

I searched and was surprised there wasn't a thread on this so far. So I have plugged the gap and made one.

Just a few:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105056&highlight=Political
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79980&highlight=Political
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39770&highlight=Political

Although I will say it's just as grating, if not more so, to hear people brag about how intentionally politically incorrect they are.

Take a look around this site. You can't say a joke without offending some random from some corner with a stick firmly lodged.

Yes, our site takes things a bit too seriously...Sometimes a thread is not fun and games, but serious. On the other hand, we just don't need any asshats, idiots, ignoramuses, name-callers, and liars. We don't ban people for their type of discussion, so as long as you fight fair in an argument. We don't need our forums to degenerate to the discussion of an elementary school playground; don't be intentionally rude and distasteful to others, and you'll have a good time here.

Being PC isn't the same thing as having a few rules and civilized discussion. And real life sometimes has restraint, it's called tact: You'll find out when you have a career or have to explain a speeding ticket at sometime.

Last edited:
Being PC isn't the same thing as having a few rules and civilized discussion. And real life sometimes has restraint, it's called tact: You'll find out when you have a career or have to explain a speeding ticket at sometime.

Here, here, let's hear it for Order over Chaos.

Tact is great in real life but lost on most in cyberspace is what I've noticed.

No shortage of folks who will say whatever they wish without concern of having to be responsible for what they say.

:lol:

Take a look around this site. You can't say a joke without offending some random from some corner with a stick firmly lodged. People are WAY too serious IRL and for some odd reason people are too serious on the internet too

Teaspoon of concrete, harden up etc

I'll respond in the same way to you as I did the "individual" who thought that he could wriggle out of a Warning for Lazy Grammar by deciding he was offended at my user title:

Famine
There is no obligation under the AUP for me to not offend you or anyone else.

You may feel free to take offence to anything at any time and for any reason. It is not beholden on any member to not cause that offence, so long as their contributions remain within the bounds of the AUP.

And real life sometimes has restraint, it's called tact: You'll find out when you have a career or have to explain a speeding ticket at sometime.

There is enormous truth and merit in this statement.👍

Tactfulness is a quality that I've generally lacked, but do greatly admire. By reading the works of Gore Vidal I've tried to become more skilled in it.

I wonder whether the original poster is referring to his country or to the world, in terms of being polictically correct.

If it is about England being too PC orientated, then it depends where you are and what you are doing at the time. If it is about the world....well, that's a completely different topic of conversation.

I wonder whether the original poster is referring to his country or to the world, in terms of being polictically correct.

If it is about England being too PC orientated, then it depends where you are and what you are doing at the time. If it is about the world....well, that's a completely different topic of conversation.

Well both, comparing the two. In england everything is politicaly correct mad. However the idea of this thread was to go anyway the people wanted it too, if it is a disscussion on just england or america then thats cool however if its about global views on political correctness then that is also cool. ;)

I don't find it useful at all. Words are words and meanings are meanings. No matter what word you use, the meaning is the same. However, some people associated particular words with certain negative meanings/connotations. Ideally, PC would try to correct this, but I think people should just try to get offended less. In my case, I find being offended pretty difficult.

I've often thought of people who say, "It's PC gone mad!" as people saying, "Come on! You must know that I'm in the [insert far-right party here] by now!" or, "I just wanted to tell this guy to go back home to his politically unstable homeland using racial slurs!"

I've often thought of people who say, "It's PC gone mad!" as people saying, "Come on! You must know that I'm in the [insert far-right party here] by now!" or, "I just wanted to tell this guy to go back home to his politically unstable homeland using racial slurs!"

Not really. I'll give you an example in the fair city I live in. There is a reasonably large jewish community in Gateshead. Shopkeepers in that area have been banned from putting up christmas decorations so as not to offend the Jewish community. This is a prime example of PC gone mad and my highlighting it is in no way a far right political view on my part.

What do I think political correctness? its nothing but another form of censorship and one of a social kind. Not only that, but its just another means for certain groups(or individuals) to turn public opinon in their favor...the worst outcome it when it end up being used by governments to crackdown on free speech..just look at Nazi Germany, the old Soviet Union and facist Italy.

Political Correctness is really just a way to try to avoid institutional inequality. Using names like Postal Worker instead of Postman in official government literature etc.

If you say you hate political correctness - that's basically like saying you hate being fair to people and treating them with respect.

Political Correctness is really just a way to try to avoid institutional inequality. Using names like Postal Worker instead of Postman in official government literature etc.

If you say you hate political correctness - that's basically like saying you hate being fair to people and treating them with respect.

Say wha? Why not call them a Postman or Postwoman (think the correct term was probably Postmistress thinking about it)?

And the OP asked the question, do you think it's been taken too far? Surely my example above of the potential to cause offence to Jewish people through christmas decorations being a step too far has nothing to do with me hating being fair to them and treating them with respect?

Have you got a link for that story? I find it hard to believe it has not been exaggerated in some way.

I haven't I'm afraid. It was recounted to me by a shop owner in the area who we installed a new Fire Alarm System for. He had no problem with the Jewish community and many of them, who were his customers, were as perplexed as he was.

Edit: Spent the past 15 mins looking for any such article but can't find one. I have no reason to doubt the shop owner (he paid his invoice on time!) but your free to believe it or not.

Last edited:
The problem is there are some people who will know when you said something that you didn't mean it badly however will still have a problem with it, if you don't mean offence and they know that then don't take offence.

They say its to stop racism however in curcumstances it gives them special treatment to stop people being offended.

I detest political correctness and it has nothing to do with whether I'm fair to people - since I am.

Political correctness isn't about fairness and equality. It's about legislated, enforced denial of culture to minimise perceived offence. Tolerance isn't about who can pass what laws to make sure no-one's discriminated against - it's about knowing that there are differences between people (gender, age, physical and mental form, heritage, religion, race, nationality - the list goes on, and on, and on) and choosing - choosing - to act accordingly.

Pretending there aren't differences and smoothing everything out to a grey hegemony is the goal of political correctness - if there's no differences between people, no-one can be offended - and it denies individuals and groups the free expression of their culture, for better or for worse.

Don't force people to put up with me because offending me is wrong. Allow them the choice of putting up with me or not.

Political correctness isn't about fairness and equality. It's about legislated, enforced denial of culture to minimise perceived offence.

Absolute codswallop lol. There is no legislation involved whatsoever.

As far as I know there has never been a single political correctness law passed in the US or the UK banning certain words. Nobody has ever been charged and convicted with being politically incorrect.

Political correctness is simply a kind of formal language used by public institutions to promote equality.

Any other meanings you have for it are likely invented by the media who like to make fun of any ideas that are remotely progressive.

As far as I know there has never been a single political correctness law passed in the US or the UK banning certain words. Nobody has ever been charged and convicted with being politically incorrect.

Political correctness is simply a kind of formal language used by public institutions to promote equality.

Any other meanings you have for it are likely invented by the media who like to make fun of any ideas that are remotely progressive.

In the court of law, no, but in the "court of public opinion" there have definitely been people "convicted" for not being politically correct. Look at the countless TV/radio personalities that have been fired/fined for saying something that "offended" someone.

Edit: Oh crap, I've wandered back into the opinions forum, I need to stop doing that.

Last edited:
In my opinion that's just TV networks trying to protect their reputation. You can't really blame government for that.

The number of times top gear have gotten in trouble with offcom for saying stuff that is politically incorrect.

In my opinion that's just TV networks trying to protect their reputation. You can't really blame government for that.

I'm not blaming the government, they really have nothing to do with it apart from the FCC, which deals more with unneeded censorship.

The argument with the TV networks doesn't work as in most cases as normally the ones who get fired are the ones known for being controversial. It's something they likely knew before they hired the person so that isn't really grounds for firing them. It's like hiring an ex-con to work for you than firing them because they are an ex-con.

What? Are you serious? I must ask if you are "white" or not.

And why is that relevant? Most everyone that I've found that actually cares about Political Correctness is of the majority. And most minorities I am finding would rather just get over it all, at least in my experience - college educated peoples.

But just ignoring cultural elements for the sake of being politically correct just hurts society more than it helps. Stereotypes are based on some observation from reality, despite how distorted it may be. Most comedians have figured this out, which is part of why it is funny - it is slightly true.

Hell, people get so hung up on it, being PC, that they are willing to ignore direct observations. I commented on how many more fried chicken and waffle places there were in Savannah, GA versus anywhere in Washington in front of my step-mother, and she got upset over me making stereotypes. I had done nothing of the sort, but that is how much people focus on the matter.
But then you have to ask why does the Black people/Fried chicken stereotype exist?

Certainly it can not because they ate fried chicken in Africa before being forced into slavery. Perhaps it was adopted as a common and popular food because chicken is relatively cheap and easy to raise, and frying it isn't complicated but quite tasty. Or maybe it was a southern cultural thing in general that was adopted, and in turn because of the higher population of African Americans in the South as a result of slavery, the images became associated. Honestly, I don't know, but there is a reason for that image being there, and why you see more fried chicken places in the southern parts of the country.

Political Correctness, in my opinion, just promotes cultural ignorance. Even stereotypes are based on something, regardless of how twisted or exaggerated they may be. Understanding what they are based on generally helps to understand society as a whole. And can lead to some comedy.

And I don't expect this to make sense to everyone, because it is a bit of a rant and I don't fully understand how I should articulate it.

I'm sorry, but PC is regressive and is actually more off base most of the time and I'll prove it with the most obvious example. African-Americans...

If you were born in America and just so happen to have a very dark skin tone resembling that of Africans........you are not an African-American. Yet, I must call them that because society says so, but on the flip it is perfectly PC for me to be called a white. How does that promote equality?

My grandparents are from Germany, but I was born in America, therefore I'm German-American and should be called that based on the PC logic above. :rolleyes:

Every single piece of anti-discrimination law.

Absolute codswallop lol.

The modern version of the term (originally being used just to mean "corresponding to prevailing political opinion") was coined by the New Left to describe a policy of equality-for-all social change. They rapidly abandoned it and it has been used ever since in a perjorative fashion.

The political correctness movement had a goal of minimising activities, language and behaviours on behalf of any social or physiological group which could possibly cause offence to any other social or physiological group. The only way to do this is to deny the differences between those groups which are, in reality, quite tangible.

Denying differences exist is about as progressive as sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and shouting "La-la-la-la-la-la!". Give me freedom of expression any day - it means we have to put up with bigots, morons and dinosaurs, but at least it means we don't have to pretend we like them.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but PC is regressive and is actually more off base most of the time and I'll prove it with the most obvious example. African-Americans...

If you were born in America and just so happen to have a very dark skin tone resembling that of Africans........you are not an African-American. Yet, I must call them that because society says so, but on the flip it is perfectly PC for me to be called a white. How does that promote equality?

My grandparents are from Germany, but I was born in America, therefore I'm German-American and should be called that based on the PC logic above. :rolleyes:

It's called BET, not AAET. Obama is African-American.
And to be PC, you would be referred to as European-American. :D
Also, we still have the Washington Redskins, but the Bullets got changed to the Wizards.

Back