(POLL) Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Thread starter khaaki
  • 94 comments

Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Yes, it is I think necessary.

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • No, I do not think it's necessary.

Votes: 170 82.1%
  • It can not be selected to both.

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
I'm not a fan, but it's a necessary feature.

It's quite simple: have all aids available, but never force any of them, ever.

It's funny thou, how some people have an opinion based on their personal preference, and are convinced that it's the best for everyone, disregarding any marketing consequences, all the billions lost, and the fact that this is a video game meant to be popular, not a niche product...

I think GT7 should have assists , IF the IRL cars have them (ABS , TCS , SRF , Auto Gearbox).

Also if you play without any assists , race line and HUD and use the manual gearbox , you should be rewarded more money , i think that this would be a good way to balance out assists.

Just rid of it. New players who struggle with car handling have Traction Control, ASM and Active Steering to help them. Once they are comfortable and want to go faster, they can turn those off.

I personally don't care if GT has it or not. As long as I'm not forced to use it, that is. I'm stuck in a habit where I tend to only drive a car with the "aids" that the real car has. If a car has a manual transmission and no ABS, than in-game I'll drive it that way, as I like the simulation to be as accurate as the game engine allows.

I think it the best thing ever, so that the "good" drivers know how "bad" drivers feel when it is "forced off".
Also it is a nice feature to pop up A topic here.👍

f40
Just rid of it. New players who struggle with car handling have Traction Control, ASM and Active Steering to help them. Once they are comfortable and want to go faster, they can turn those off.
The core car control aspect is actually quite hard even with all of those things on. Arguably on a par with how hard GT1 was in comparison to most other console games of its era. If you don't know how to drive the racing line in a real car, i.e. when to brake, how to balance the different control inputs through corners etc., the standard, "real world" aids are still of little use.

For example: ABS can't repair your line from braking too late and stability and traction control can't recover the lost momentum from their interruptions. They simply take the edge off the precision of modulation required in all the controls, without much affecting the overall physics of the racing line.

SRF instead goes one step further and allows inputs to be far off the "real world driving line", without causing any real detriment to the overall pace. Which is precisely the reason for its controversy, as I see it.

SRF allows for people with no real "driving ability" to derive enjoyment from the game. It also serves as a middle ground, to make it easier to move from the arcade control style towards the "real driving" that even the "non cheat" aids require. Most of the difficulty arises when the player has little understanding / experience of the (real-world) physics involved, which would significantly affect their expectations of the responses from their control inputs. Which is where GT1 excelled, through the licence tests and driving manual.

Regardless, people should be allowed to derive fun from the game as they see fit. Most people still drive with GT's unrealistic ABS on in the game, so there's no room for double standards, either.

If GT wants to be a better sim, SRF needs to be dropped entirely. Hand-holding the kiddy gamers is a big sticking point.

If people want to learn how to get faster, it should be through trial and error.

I personally think SRF has its place in the game. I run a racing group and have a wide variety of abilities who all race together. SRF is a very good performance balancer for slower drivers, allowing them to keep up with the faster drivers for longer.

We worked out that SRF allows you to drive around 2 or 3 seconds faster per lap (depending on track) and can help slower drivers have a good race when racing for fun online. There is no fun in being lapped after 10 laps, and if you can push that up to 14 laps then it's more enjoyable for the slower driver as they're in the pack for more of the race.

I personally don't use it unless I'm doing Single Player (just to grind credits faster) but it does definitely have its place for some people so I think it's a good idea to keep it as a function. You don't have to use it, and that's how it should stay. :cheers:

Well come brake & steering assist :cheers:
Good bye SRF ;) :)
un_75.jpg
un_76.jpg
un_77.jpg

Last edited:
I have no issue with SRF at all, I think it's a way to get kiddies and people with little talent into the game. Having it available in career mode, offline and optional in online lobbies is fine. It has no place being forced on or even optional in any official competition if this game markets itself as a simulation.
It's always going to be just a video game. They just need to work on getting the cars to handle more like a real car. I have never been in a car that when you step on the gas the car spins around. No cars do that. But in GT6 they do. So that being said I use SRF on some cars and others I turn it off. I did notice from some of the GT Sport videos out so far that I did not see SRF as an option. I did see another option (can't remember what it was called) that is not in GT6. Maybe they are replacing SRF with it. It is also being marketed for all ages to be able to play it. Making it possible for any person with any skill level to play it is a must. Sells more copies and that is the only reason they are releasing GT Sport. To make money.

I think this feature would be necessary for a rookie driver, that is new to playing racing games. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter whether SRF is in GTS or not. Some people like to drive with it, but it makes your car a tad slower on the corners.

I think this feature would be necessary for a rookie driver, that is new to playing racing games. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter whether SRF is in GTS or not. Some people like to drive with it, but it makes your car a tad slower on the corners.
SRF allowed you to drive a couple seconds faster on any track with just average length.
I have no idea what you were doing in GT5 or GT6, but I guess it wasn't about driving fast.

I get the point of those who are more hardcore racers and it's a fact that it might not make sense having such an option in a game whose slogan has been "the real driving simulator" from day one. But I also understand why it was included as the gaming community is comprised of players of all styles/tastes and skill levels. With that in mind, if GT was ever totally true to it's slogan, it wouldn't be so popular, when the part where it's much more of an actual simulation than what it's meant to be: a videogame.

I like to put it like this: However you put it, GT has kept a fair degree of fun. It has a good balance IMO between a sim and a game. If you turn GT into Assetto Corsa (that happens to be an amazing sim) you lose a lot of market appeal, because despite the great physics, it's not exactly a blast for casual gamers, people with a llimited range of motion or anyone who doesn't play with a steering wheel. But those are just my two cents.

If having a certain setup in a game prevents you from enjoying it, you should be allowed to change it. Games are supposed to serve as a source of entertainment and fun, not an unnecessary stress. Life has more than enough of that lol.

If you're studying to be the next Senna then by all means, get a full racing setup and turn off every possible aid and wear a helmet in your living room while you're at it lol. But if you just wanna have fun throwing the car around tight turns like a maniac, you should be entitled to do it as well. I personally like the in between solution (TCS for cars that actually have it and so forth) but to each it's own

I'm glad it's been removed for GTS. Honestly, if you turn on all aids the car is practically un-spinnable. We don't need an extra set of physics.

I see they've added braking and steering assist instead of SRF. Much better choice IMO. PC sims also have this and the car practically drives itself, but you're still on the same set of physics. Great for teaching beginners to get a feel for braking points and racing lines 👍

Most of the regulars in my nightly room use SRF. Not because they are new, many have been racing in the room since GT5, but because it is just more fun.

It may be more arcade like, but that's the point.

I'm glad it's been removed for GTS. Honestly, if you turn on all aids the car is practically un-spinnable. We don't need an extra set of physics.

I see they've added braking and steering assist instead of SRF. Much better choice IMO. PC sims also have this and the car practically drives itself, but you're still on the same set of physics. Great for teaching beginners to get a feel for braking points and racing lines 👍
If it was on all the time and you did not have an option to see it or know that is was ever there then no one would be saying a thing. It's only because you know it's there.

Most of the regulars in my nightly room use SRF. Not because they are new, many have been racing in the room since GT5, but because it is just more fun.

It may be more arcade like, but that's the point.
Same here in our club. Some of the best racing in my opinion.

If it was on all the time and you did not have an option to see it or know that is was ever there then no one would be saying a thing. It's only because you know it's there.
Errr no. You can carry huge and quite unrealistic slip angles with SRF on. If it was on all the time and we weren't able to actually see it as turned on, anyone really interested in realistic simulation would conclude that the physics engine in GT was simcade at best, bordering on arcade.

In reverse, if it wasn't there and we don't have the option then you'd just get along with the physics and learn to have fun with proper simulation ;)

I'm a big believer of playing a game however you want, but this split in physics since GT5P (it was labelled "Standard" and "Professional" back then) has been a crutch for Polyphony. They can't really abandon their simcade roots and push for true simulation, because they always have one feet in each bucket. Pure simulation can be fun if it's done right, because it's intuitive AND makes sense (because, you know, that's what you deal with every time you drive in real life). When AC releases on console later this year do yourself a favour and give it a try 👍 You won't look back.

Incidentally, if you want a pseudo-realistic racing game with easy pickup and play, go get Grid Autosport by Codemasters. Much better racing than GT, and much more forgiving than GT = more fun overall.

Errr no. You can carry huge and quite unrealistic slip angles with SRF on. If it was on all the time and we weren't able to actually see it as turned on, anyone really interested in realistic simulation would conclude that the physics engine in GT was simcade at best, bordering on arcade.
Disagree, can be tweaked. No one knows how Project Cars is programed. I thought I read somewhere during the GT Sport event that PD have made the cars easier to drive. Maybe that's why SRF is not listed anymore.

In reverse, if it wasn't there and we don't have the option then you'd just get along with the physics and learn to have fun with proper simulation ;)

I'm a big believer of playing a game however you want, but this split in physics since GT5P (it was labelled "Standard" and "Professional" back then) has been a crutch for Polyphony. They can't really abandon their simcade roots and push for true simulation, because they always have one feet in each bucket. Pure simulation can be fun if it's done right, because it's intuitive AND makes sense (because, you know, that's what you deal with every time you drive in real life). When AC releases on console later this year do yourself a favour and give it a try 👍 You won't look back.

Incidentally, if you want a pseudo-realistic racing game with easy pickup and play, go get Grid Autosport by Codemasters. Much better racing than GT, and much more forgiving than GT = more fun overall.
That's how I feel about Driveclub. Just get in a car and race. Not even any tuning in that game.

I'm certainly not a fan of brake or steering assist. PCars has that. Could not turn it off fast enough.

Disagree, can be tweaked. No one knows how Project Cars is programed. I thought I read somewhere during the GT Sport event that PD have made the cars easier to drive. Maybe that's why SRF is not listed anymore.
You missed the point entirely. SRF in GT allows you to do things in cars that aren't possible in real life by carrying tremendous slip angles while cornering and not scrubbing off speed. I don't need to see what is behind PCars or any other game to recognize that behaviour, certainly not when I'm in the drivers seat. In AC for example, I can carry huge slip angles in the Lotus 49 easily with a flick of the wheel or a stab of the throttle, powersliding around corners with abandon. What I can't do is carry huge slip angles and go faster than I can with the optimal slip angle which is exactly what happens with SRF.

Provided the game is properly immersed on the platform it's released for, there's no need for physics tampering ingame options. SRF IMO provides a much more relaxed feel (precisely because it allows players to get away with some pretty extreme approaches) but you wouldn't die if it weren't available.

Taking again Assetto Corsa as an example, I for one find it needs to evolve quite a lot in order to make sense having it on a console... For starters, it sure as hell does not catter to everyone's taste like GT does. Also despite the possiblities for customizing the experience, you can't do much changes in terms of mapping, like changing throttle and brake buttons without messing the whole options/setup, which for controller users is a major canundrum and a bit of a deal breaker. Also something basic, that some just don't care but others actually enjoy: interface layout and music; But these are all on the off topic side. Not everyone enjoys being challenged too much. There must be a balance, otherwise challenge becomes a burden instead. My point is, when comparing, you can't pull off half the stuff allowed in GT. Braking distance for instance. It's impossible to get away with it in AC the same way as in GT, let alone use the car as a rag doll in turns lol.

If we look back into the beginning of the GT series, in GT 1 drivetrain didn't affect car behaviour too much, except for the rear wheel driven vehicles, provided FF and 4WD cars are supposed to have a certain degree of understeer... From what I recall, those cars in early GT's had a thing tor being a tad tail happy, so perhaps some features like SRF were put there to not put players off too much I guess. Bottomline: it's about what feels right for everyone and what makes the experience enjoyable, whether you're GT academy material or a weekend casual gamer

Sim cars should have realistic aids based on the real life car. The moment you use an unrealistic aid to be able to drive the car you are not driving the car so it doesn't matter what the model is or what badge is on it. There will always be entry level cars to develop skills and if these are still not easy enough for people then make a fantasy entry level car but there is no reason to add unrealistic aids to dumb down an awesome car and make it easier to drive.

7HO
Sim cars should have realistic aids based on the real life car. The moment you use an unrealistic aid to be able to drive the car you are not driving the car so it doesn't matter what the model is or what badge is on it. There will always be entry level cars to develop skills and if these are still not easy enough for people then make a fantasy entry level car but there is no reason to add unrealistic aids to dumb down an awesome car and make it easier to drive.
You mean there's no reason for you to add unrealistic aids to dumb down an awesome car and make it easier to drive. As long as SRF isn't available in official competitions or forced on in non-official events, what difference does it make to your racing experience if someone else is using it?

Latest Posts

Back