(POLL) Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Thread starter khaaki
  • 94 comments

Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Yes, it is I think necessary.

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • No, I do not think it's necessary.

Votes: 170 82.1%
  • It can not be selected to both.

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
I think that it can be replaced by TCS.
SRF in order to maximize the grip, tends to violent driving.
As a driving simulator, I think it is not appropriate.
A true to say the manuals "for beginners", it should be in auto brake.
This not to be the responsibility of player to use the SRF, I think that a problem of thinking of PD.
Therefore, I will vote a NO.

Last edited:
...Never enjoyed driving with SRF on, to be honest. I was generally 0.5 to 1 seconds quicker with it off, even on a track I wasn't familiar with. :indiff:

But having said that, I do see its value for a... some ten year old kids named Timmy who got the game on a mistaken belief GT is a better version of NFS. :boggled:

No. The other assists work largely as they would in real life (ABS notwithstanding), while SRF flies in the face of physics, and bizarrely gives more grip as the tires slide.

How is it that something so backwards should be taught to beginners? I'm all for the other assists, and giving players the choice to use as few or as many as they'd like, but SRF is not one I'd consider. PD forcing it on in events is even more bizarre.

I have no issue with SRF at all, I think it's a way to get kiddies and people with little talent into the game. Having it available in career mode, offline and optional in online lobbies is fine. It has no place being forced on or even optional in any official competition if this game markets itself as a simulation.

If the purpose of the licence tests is to teach driving technique, then SRF should not be available during them, in my opinion.

It could perhaps be used in "mock tests" or gymkhana areas to compensate, and to aid transition - as well as everywhere else in the game (except filtered online rooms, natch).

But is it necessary? I think yes, if the physics engine is to continue to improve towards "realism", something needs to fill in the gap towards the expected immediacy of control for inexperienced, "casual", younger etc. players.

At least the option will be there for them to try without, should they wish (licence tests beckoning), whereas without it from the start, they may just bounce off the game despite any latent interest / talent. And that's no good to anyone.

I think now of friendly that's excessively large.
Moreover driving line, ASM, and active steering ...
Enough already assist there are many.

Last edited:
No. ASM, TCS and ABS are more than enough when it comes to driving aids. If SRF is an idea that PD came up with in an effort to make the game more accessible to a wider audience, then perhaps they should consider another option, or, at the very least, have it set to Off as Default, so that beginners who would choose to get into the game would be able to get a proper "grip" *ba dun tss* on the game's physics. If they have a friend who wants to play casually with them, they could just simply turn it On for them.

And I'm in to what @SlipZtrEm said: forcing it On in certain events is something I can't understand.

it should be allowed... BUT cost you loads of time around a circuit so that it isn't good to use if you can live without it
That's a good point, never thought of that. I think the issue most people have is not with the idea of it as a beginner's aid, but that it makes you faster. If it helped you maintain control but scrubbed off speed, no one would even discuss it because it would be a non-issue. I've never seen anyone mention it before...so congratulations:

You win the internet.jpg

it should be allowed... BUT cost you loads of time around a circuit so that it isn't good to use if you can live without it

I agree with you, I'm sure it has helped many people who have trouble with the game, so for those not yet skilled or are handicapped in some way and helps in their enjoyment, it should be available as an option.
I have personnal experience of being with people with limited movement, and when you see their smiles when they accomplish something it's very special.

I think a few people here are misinterpreting the question, though it is worded in a way that might confuse. SRF is OBVIOUSLY not necessary or mandatory when driving in GT (perhaps it has been in a couple of events), and should not be mandatory, but this is not the question and will clearly never be the case...

GT does benefit from it, as many younger players or those looking for an arcade like feel have it as an option, so yes, it should be a feature in future. Though, I personally think the controls in GT are forgiving enough for any skill level yet still offer enough Sim feel to keep most happy

Last edited:
WOW. Not sure why so much of hate for SRF. I only used it once. In career Nascar cars at Willow springs. For some reason the tires or the track surface is such that I was struggling to win and the car will skid, slide if you slightly over do it. Using SRF it allows the player to throw the car in the corner and have enough confidence in tires, grip. I do not see any reason to ban it. May be I can try it on some other cars which are really bad to handle when pushed at corners. But not a deal breaker by any means. It is just an option :confused:

The issue with SRF, if we can take its name literally, is that there's a virtual force being applied to the car to stabilise it in the event of a "skid".

The question is where the energy comes from to sustain that stabilising force. If it's just an arbitrary force applied to keep the car pointing straight, then energy is being "generated" from nothing and then given to the car - this would inherently make it quicker.

If the car's kinetic energy pool were drained at a rate equivalent to the stabilising force applied to it (in the same way that losses from forces due to the tyre contact patches do), it would perhaps be a different story.

Doing Year 10 physics I know that this thing breaks The Law of Conservation of Energy (the energy does come from nowhere). What I suggest is when you turn it on it reduces the grip of the track slightly, or what Griffith500 suggested except the game also takes a 5% "penalty" of energy to make the aid slower.

Yes, I agree, on reflection I think it is slightly nerfed to slow it down in some way over its "true potential". Which is promising, it would mean it can be tweaked with ease.

However, its intent must be to allow less skilled drivers to compete with more skilled drivers (AI or otherwise), and that's fine in certain situations. The problem only really comes when people use it to compete against drivers of equivalent skill who are not using it.

I guess that's what transparent options are for.

Yes, I think it is necessary because some players aren't as good at driving as others. Plus I think it would be essential for people who just moved into the racing genre.

I think it isn't neccessary. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You become a greater driver without aids. But whatever floats your goat. Stay unsure and use aids or turn them off and improve.

Back