(POLL) Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Thread starter khaaki
  • 94 comments

Skid Recovery Force, do you think that it is necessary for the GT series?

• Yes, it is I think necessary.

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • No, I do not think it's necessary.

Votes: 170 82.1%
  • It can not be selected to both.

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
The difference being that the things that GT teaches you are how to go, stop, and go around various types of corners.
Let's review this when it comes out, I think you will be mistaken.

If you haven't watched them you should, because they're a hell of a lot more relevant to someone going into their first online race than any of the GT6 licenses will ever be.
I've watched them, twice. When I first joined and again about a year ago. The iracing videos didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know, I only watched them the second time because the first time I watched them on Youtube and you need to watch them on the iRacing site to get the award. And we are not talking about GT6 because clearly what is on the GTS website is claiming to be different. As I said lets see what they give us in November.

Hasn't SRF (for the most part) been an option for the players to turn on or off?

Yes and no. In races you could turn it off. In licenses and seasonals it was often locked on. Which for licenses sort of defeats the purpose, because you're then "learning" to drive under a different physics system. And for seasonals it's just frustrating for those who don't enjoy driving with SRF on.

There's also the fact that it was just straight up faster, so if you wanted to compete on any time-based leaderboard that allowed SRF you had to use it.

I think the general policy with assists in racing games is that they should be ultimately slower than no assists if in the hands of a driver with perfect control, but may allow certain players to drive better than they would otherwise be able to by making up for their deficiencies in ability. Basically, I can brake harder without ABS than with it, but someone without the skill to feather the brake would be better off using ABS and avoiding lockups.

SRF kind of doesn't obey that because it's just faster for everyone, and it does so by altering the physics in such a fashion that the game becomes very much not a simulation any more. Which rather spoils the fun, the choice shouldn't be between being competitive and enjoying accurate simulation.

Another reason for SRF to be gone forever: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/activating-srf-in-some-quick-matches.346327/

There's an exploit in GT6 Quick Match races where if you have SRF enabled in an offline race, it will stay on for an online race, even though the rules specifically disables SRF. There's no way of telling who has it on or off, so pretty much you have to use it, or be resigned to languishing in the midfield while other people flies past on the outside with no loss of grip whatsoever 👎

GTS not having SRF that means we can guarantee that everyone has a level playing field and driving with the same physics. If a guy is faster, he's faster. Period. No need to suspect they are using a hack or cheating.

Until PD mucks up something else that is. I wouldn't put it past them...

Another reason for SRF to be gone forever: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/activating-srf-in-some-quick-matches.346327/

There's an exploit in GT6 Quick Match races where if you have SRF enabled in an offline race, it will stay on for an online race, even though the rules specifically disables SRF. There's no way of telling who has it on or off, so pretty much you have to use it, or be resigned to languishing in the midfield while other people flies past on the outside with no loss of grip whatsoever 👎

GTS not having SRF that means we can guarantee that everyone has a level playing field and driving with the same physics. If a guy is faster, he's faster. Period. No need to suspect they are using a hack or cheating.

Until PD mucks up something else that is. I wouldn't put it past them...
If PD is going to have sanctioned, organized online racing it's going to depend on integrity first and foremost. Something like this can't happen or it makes a mockery of the whole thing. I wonder if the new aids, brake and steering assist, will be allowed in sanctioned races.

Back