POLL: Thrustmaster T300RS/GTE Reliability Poll

• Thread starter VBR
  • 504 comments

Have you had any problems with your T300RS/GTE?

• Total voters
I have one that has had no problems so far, and I've played PCARS for several hours a day everyday for the last 2 months, and I still find the number of reported failures disconcerting. I always have the worry in the back of my mind that this thing might fail soon. That being said, I still would never pay T300 money for a G29 if it's mechanically pretty much the same as a G27.

If it's between the T300 and G29, the question is how much you're willing to pay for peace of mind.

Half the people who have found this thread and own the wheel have had a problem. That's high no matter how you look at it.

So that's 58 people as of now, who have voted in this poll. Hardly representative of the total number of T300's sold isn't it.
I should imagine there's a fair few thousand (maybe tens of thousands) T300's in circulation worldwide so without feedback from at least 90% of owners, these results are seriously skewed.
As has been said, owners without a problem have no need to visit or comment on their experience and I'd say that at a count of 29 each way is not a cast iron guarantee either way regarding reliability.
All I know is my T300RS is still 100% great in every way. Of course, things may change is say 12 months, but as of now, everything is OK for me.

So that's 58 people as of now, who have voted in this poll. Hardly representative of the total number of T300's sold isn't it.
I should imagine there's a fair few thousand (maybe tens of thousands) T300's in circulation worldwide so without feedback from at least 90% of owners, these results are seriously skewed.
As has been said, owners without a problem have no need to visit or comment on their experience and I'd say that at a count of 29 each way is not a cast iron guarantee either way regarding reliability.
All I know is my T300RS is still 100% great in every way. Of course, things may change is say 12 months, but as of now, everything is OK for me.
Agreed and as I said on the previous page, you cant get any accurate numbers from a poll like this, but you can get an idea of its failure rate. From this small sliver of users here half have had an issue. Does that mean it has a 50% failure rate? No, but it does mean that ALOT of people have had an issue. When you take into account reports of failures on other sites it looks even worse. We will never know what the real rate of failure is. We do know that there has been a lot.

Unfortunately I have to change my vote to no..
After trying the wheel, I noticed that it had an extreme deadzone (a quarter) of the gas pedal and a bit of deadzone of the brake pedal. I read that you can try to calibrate the wheel with the PC. I wanted to update my wheel, and now it doesn`t work anymore..
Edit: I just went to amazon.it and filled ou the form to replace my wheel with another. On monday it will be shiped back. Before putting the wheel in the original box for shipping, I deleted all drivers from PC, reinstalled them and now it works.. Does anyone know if there is a possibility to cancel the return of my wheel to amazon?
I give it still a negative vote because of the deadzone of the pedals, and the wheel itself has a small deadzone too.

Last edited:
Thx shinu, they are really quick.. They send me a new wheel on monday, and I have to give mine back of course. But dont they even check if my wheel is even broken?
When i get my new wheel I'll need to buy the t3pa because i'm used to the G27 pedals and unfortunately its a huuuuge difference to the original set of pedals of the t300.

Thx shinu, they are really quick.. They send me a new wheel on monday, and I have to give mine back of course. But dont they even check if my wheel is even broken?
When i get my new wheel I'll need to buy the t3pa because i'm used to the G27 pedals and unfortunately its a huuuuge difference to the original set of pedals of the t300.

You could just get an adapter and use your G27 pedals. That's what I did.

Unfortunately I have to change my vote to no..
After trying the wheel, I noticed that it had an extreme deadzone (a quarter) of the gas pedal and a bit of deadzone of the brake pedal. I read that you can try to calibrate the wheel with the PC. I wanted to update my wheel, and now it doesn`t work anymore..
Edit: I just went to amazon.it and filled ou the form to replace my wheel with another. On monday it will be shiped back. Before putting the wheel in the original box for shipping, I deleted all drivers from PC, reinstalled them and now it works.. Does anyone know if there is a possibility to cancel the return of my wheel to amazon?
I give it still a negative vote because of the deadzone of the pedals, and the wheel itself has a small deadzone too.
Pedals are utter crap, not worth shipping freight, I just tossed them away in disgust, they should not impact WHEEL rating. Wondering how many gave a YES (have a problem) because of the pedals.
Still using G27 pedals with Ricmotech loadcell and LeoBodnar adapter.

Pedals are utter crap, not worth shipping freight, I just tossed them away in disgust, they should not impact WHEEL rating. Wondering how many gave a YES (have a problem) because of the pedals.
Like it or not, the pedals are included and they are included in the price. :( I wish that Thrustmaster actually enabled people to purchase items separately or as a bundle....mix 'n' match style. It would make it a more tempting proposition for some and save on waste. 👍

I ordered a t300 rs from Amazon at the start of the month and am expecting it in a couple of weeks. Do you guys think that TM may have made hardware revisions to the newer batches yet? Sounds like they've had plenty of returned units to study!

I am confident that Thrustmaster is regularly making tweaks and updates to their wheels. Case in point: the T500 sold in 2015 even has minor changes from the T500 sold in 2014, despite the wheel originally being brought on the market in late 2010.

i should note that from my point of view the T300 is a solid design and it's simply bad quality control which appears to be to blame rather than inherent weaknesses in the design itself. Bad tolerance parts, bad power supplies, that kind of thing all yells "problems with suppliers, likely due to unexpectedly high demand" to me.

I'm also concerned by this, but should the need arise I'll just contact Amazon and let them deal with it. If that doesn't help and I'm forwarded to TM, then from what I understand TM is likely to send a new wheel after screwing around for a while. Hopefully it doesn't happen and my *forever* back-ordered T300 GTE stays for a good amount.

QA issues shouldn't concern customers and if these bad reliability reports don't decrease then TM should seriously consider it's future in this niche. I might as well pay a 100$ more for a product that's not screwed up with crappy QA.

There is no escaping the fact that the T300 is unreliable.
Far be it for me to defend Thrustmaster reliability (I had nightmarish problems getting my T500 RS pedal problem diagnosed and ultimately repaired), but this survey would be tossed out by any statistician in a heartbeat. The population seeing it is undoubtedly made up mostly of people who've had reliability issues. PEOPLE HAPPY WITH THEIR T300s HAVE LITTLE OR NO REASON TO FIND THEIR WAY TO ANY T300 THREAD! The sample population is so UNrepresentative of T300 owners as a whole, it's not even funny. Sheesh!

Far be it for me to defend Thrustmaster reliability (I had nightmarish problems getting my T500 RS pedal problem diagnosed and ultimately repaired), but this survey would be tossed out by any statistician in a heartbeat. The population seeing it is undoubtedly made up mostly of people who've had reliability issues. PEOPLE HAPPY WITH THEIR T300s HAVE LITTLE OR NO REASON TO FIND THEIR WAY TO ANY T300 THREAD! The sample population is so UNrepresentative of T300 owners as a whole, it's not even funny. Sheesh!
I'm not disagreeing with you. ;)

I was once a moderator on a very popular car forum in the UK and most people that initially registered (and indeed posted) were having issues with their car, which gave the impression that the brand in question was unreliable. In fairness, the brand was no worse than any other and onlookers were possibly given a false impression.

That said, I have seen far more complaints regarding the T300 than any other wheel. Yes Fanatec had their issues too, also Logitech have had problems, but nothing compares to what we have been seeing recently.

Sheesh! :lol: 👍

That said, I have seen far more complaints regarding the T300 than any other wheel. Yes Fanatec had their issues too, also Logitech have had problems, but nothing compares to what we have been seeing recently.
Things were quite peachy at the time I was ordering mine, (shortly after release), with virtually zero complaints, except deadzone on pedals, but who uses those. :)
Has the situation changed recently, wasn't following Trhustmaster threads here, on ISRTV and AC forums I see no complaints. People keep cursing Fanatec but not much from Thrustmaster owners.

Things were quite peachy at the time I was ordering mine, (shortly after release), with virtually zero complaints, except deadzone on pedals, but who uses those. :)
Has the situation changed recently, wasn't following Trhustmaster threads here, on ISRTV and AC forums I see no complaints. People keep cursing Fanatec but not much from Thrustmaster owners.
I think that basically GTP is where anyone googling "help, my shiny new T300 seems to have issues" arrives at, since GTP is pretty much the biggest simracing forum out there and there's no real TM forum. So we are getting the vast majority of English speaking forum complaints :)

Personally for me the bad period after launch of the Fanatec CSWv1 was much worse than the T300 launch. Back then we regularly saw guys swapping their way through multiple wheels, only to suffer the same motor problems repeatedly. T300 seems to have various kinds of issues (of which failing to put together the pedals properly seems to be top) but almost everyone with an issue seems to be fine after RMA.

The assumption that only people having problems with their wheel visit this site is ridiculous. There are plenty of people on these forum with Thrustmaster wheels who are browsing & looking for other topics, who may also spot this poll & chime in. True, it's not gonna give a 100% accurate result, but it's not gonna be as far off as some of you like to imagine it will be either.

Nobody said only that is a bad assumption. If I have a problem i Google for a solution and may stumble on threads like this. I will also naturally find other similar threads. This type of polls will always be heavilly scewed in one direction.

Nobody said only that is a bad assumption. If I have a problem i Google for a solution and may stumble on threads like this. I will also naturally find other similar threads. This type of polls will always be heavilly scewed in one direction.

No it won't. There are plenty of Thrustmaster wheel owners who come on GT Planet for reasons other than problems with their wheel, & then find this thread, 37 of whom have already voted in this poll.

VBR
No it won't. There are plenty of Thrustmaster wheel owners who come on GT Planet for reasons other than problems with their wheel, & then find this thread, 37 of whom have already voted in this poll.

Plenty but not as many far far from it but it´s okay we have different theories :). How often do you google my product X work fine and reply in threads you see?

Versus how often do you have a problem with my Product Y and google for solutions?. Is it a 50/50?
Do you recommend stores in real life to the same degree as you warn about stores that treats you wrong?

Not everyone arrives here by Googling for a problem! And yes, I do leave good reviews too, so do many other people.

If you don't like this thread then go somewhere else.

I got my replacement wheel from amazon, and unfortunately I have to say that I don`t recommend this Thrustmaster wheel. The new wheel calibrates itself and when it stops, it`s not in a centered position, but it`s some degrees on the right, and when driving project cars it`s undrivable. I try to update the firmware and hope it will be fixed.
The pedals on this wheel have a deadzone too, just like my old wheel. I think it`s ridiculous from thrustmaster to include this pedals, because they are not good at all and they have issues (i read many posts of the pedals having huge deadzones).

I got my replacement wheel from amazon, and unfortunately I have to say that I don`t recommend this Thrustmaster wheel. The new wheel calibrates itself and when it stops, it`s not in a centered position, but it`s some degrees on the right, and when driving project cars it`s undrivable. I try to update the firmware and hope it will be fixed.
The pedals on this wheel have a deadzone too, just like my old wheel. I think it`s ridiculous from thrustmaster to include this pedals, because they are not good at all and they have issues (i read many posts of the pedals having huge deadzones).
There is a standard procedure for resetting the center position of any Thrustmaster wheel.
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00158.pdf
You only need to do this once.

Same thing exists for Fanatec wheels, by the way.

3 months of moderate use and mines is making funny noises, 1st noise is like a faint metal scrapping metal sound and the other is a clicking near the center.

Back