POLL - YES/ MAD NO/don't care about NO ONLINE MODE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Kwik
  • 146 comments
  • 6,323 views

Are you mad about the new news? yes/no

  • HELL YES I AM MAD!!

    Votes: 97 40.8%
  • No, I wasn't going to race online anyway.

    Votes: 141 59.2%

  • Total voters
    238
I have 56K at home, and t1 here but no PS2, so I don't care.
 
People, people, how about we put away the torches and pitchforks until we see what happens, hmmmm? No need to form a lynch mob until it ships.

Sheesh. Some of you guys are like babies who just had their lollipop stolen.
 
SaintKamus
how will online break the single player experience?
I don't think I ever implied that, all I was saying is that I would prefer to get a very good single player game over a game with a rushed and flawed online mode.
 
Mr P510
Well,to be honest I'm relieved theres no online play. Why? Because we would be waiting alot longer than Dec for a release if PD perseviered with this mode and now the've decided to leave it out it looks like we'll se it this Christmas. Cooool. :) 👍

oh my god you're right, it's not like they had what... 4 years to add network code right?
the fact of the matter is online is more important than photo mode. (if you think differently please make sure to explain why.)
YM never proritized online from the interviews i've read in the past, and now we can see the results of that, i guess that if i want to play with 6 other people i won't be able to do it more than 2 times a year (wich is how often my friends have TIME to take a whole day off at the same time and we're able to get 6 ps2's, 6 GT's and a home owner bearing to deal with the trouble.
online isn't about superior multiplayer capability, it will ALWAYS be inferior for racing games because ping affects racing games more than any other type of game, what online would've been about is convenience and competition, i got like 1 real life friend that is really good for GT3, evryone else is just avarage, in online i'd be able to play people that match and surpass my level. (that is assuming PD would take the time to get some rankings going so i wouln't have to play newbies all the time).
there are a lot of things the PD team could've done for players with high network latency, disabling "true" online racing would be one, players with high latency could race against streaming ghosts (instead of sending synched info back and froward), streaming ghosts would mean a smooth gameplay experience even for laggy players, and while you wouldn't be able to crash into a ghost, the sight of one of them overpassing you would still have an effect on you (or vice versa).
all a mode like this requires is various check point updates to have a nearly real time streaming ghost all the time, and then once the replay would play you could have a 100% lag free replay, how cool is that? apparently. PD either didn't think of something like this as an option, or they are just so anal about such a mode they'd rather not have us play online at all...
then there's the "real" online racing mode, wich only players with very low latency could connect to.
if you guys think adding those two networking modes takes years of development, allow me to be the one to tell you it's not the case, adding such basic network funtionality wouln't take much of their time.
but now that they've announced an "online version", it better damn be a LOT more than basic funtionality, it better include part trading, car trading, tourney capability, class restriction championships (along with unrestricted and modified modes). and even a ladder, and they better have good replay support (hell, they better have replays in GT4 as it is in multiplayer, i still don't understand why GT3 didn't have them!).
think i'm asking for too much? i'm actually asking for too little, because who the hell is going to pay for GT4 again if all it does extra is online capability with NOTHING new?.
and i'm not even asking for more tracks and cars for that online game, just good online support. but again, it's all unrealistic thinking, they will not make enough money from a game like that, they'd make more money from PSP, so that's where their priorities will be, and once the PS3 Dev. Kit arrives to their instalations, you can forget about them spending resources on a game that's not going to be nearly as lucrative as bringing GT5 would, and they'll get those online features ready for GT5 instead (that is if Mr. YM thinks online is important by the year 2008)
 
Sony dropped the ball on online gaming, not Polyphony. Get a clue man before you start rambling so much.
 
The359
Sony dropped the ball on online gaming, not Polyphony. Get a clue man before you start rambling so much.

Ok, "clue me in" boy. give me the source of your comment to verify how sony was instrumental in this desicion, the only person who dropped the ball here is Mr. YM. he had 4 years for this, don't blame it on anyone else ok? it's HIS call.
 
KY clearly states that the servers in Europe and Japan are not up to snuff. Guess who runs the servers? SONY.

KY merely dropped online playing for now because to keep it in would mean that it would play like utter crap with the way the servers are. Therefore KY decided to give Sony more time to get their servers up to standards so that the online play can be flawless.

And drop this boy crap, you're really begging to get flamed.
 
KY and PD made a good choice to drop online, so I'm not mad, actually happy. The poor online ways right now might bring the game down. So screw online. I'm only minimally dissapointed but at the same time I was waiting for PD to do this. And to be honest, the good hearted and fair, fun, and good racers would be few and far in between. We'd be stuck with millions of wannabe boy-racers that can't drive to save their own life. Wait till' GT5 or 6 I say.
 
SaintKamus chill out. So there's no online support yet get over it already.
 
well im mad, theres not a lot of competition around my way so the online mode would of been a perfect edition, but nothing I can do but play GT4
 
Even though I do not have broadband I voted NO. The reason for this is because I know about the offline GT4 using a 6 player LAN party mode. This inturn means that a back door can be opened so to speak to allow player's to play online via the lan party mode.
If I had broadband I wouldnt be mad either because of what I and others know about the back door.
 
OK, nevermind. I see now. Does suck, but really get over it. We're getting a new one next year!

Plus, GT4 is giving us some new stuff. I like the B-Spec mode. 👍
 
Div is back
Cs, Warcraft, Starcraft all of those game are Multiplayer Based game, MASSIVE internet games, and it's on pc, GT4 is a Racing game on console. I played loads of multiplayer games and those games lacked depth in single player mode, multiplayer mode was a way of saving the game, in the case of Gt4, multiplayer was just a bonus to compliment the players that would end the game and want more challenge, up to this date I'm still playing Gt3, it has 1/2 the cars of Gt4, 1/2 the modes of Gt4, 1/2 the tracks of Gt4 and I'm STILL enjoying playing SINGLE player mode, I don't feel the urgent need for multiplayer. Imagine with Gt4, the fun would just never end in single player mode.

You could NOT be more wrong, blizzard has sold MILLIONS of copies of all of those mentioned games, and guess how many active online players warcraft 3 has? NO MORE Than 20,000!!! that's right, out of 3 million of warcraft 3 owners, only 20,000 actually play it online, but did that make blizzard have mediocre online play? HELL NO, burnout 3 is a console game, it has net play, and is a CONSOLE ONLY game, whats your point about GT4 being a race game on a console?
same goes for Blizzard diablo games by the way, and hell, same goes for EVRY game that has multiplayer and single player. (games like Battlefield are really online only, so those don't apply)
man, this is the forum where i get to say this line the most:
Get your FACTS straight before you post!
Multiplayer saved blizzard games?????? just do your math, 20,000 active online players, vs 3 million owners, GG no RE.
thx.
 
I am not to mad at all. It's just kind of like "oh, okay whatever..."
 
3rdgenracerX
Even though I do not have broadband I voted NO. The reason for this is because I know about the offline GT4 using a 6 player LAN party mode. This inturn means that a back door can be opened so to speak to allow player's to play online via the lan party mode.
If I had broadband I wouldnt be mad either because of what I and others know about the back door.

i hate to burst your bubble, but LAN play is fully synched, wich means some sort of wrapper won't be very useful, there's a big difference between fully Synched LAN and internet netcode, SPECIALLY in racing games, where even 200 MS can mean more than one car length. so while it _COULD_ work, even on the lowest latency connections (say, 20 MS lag from your house to your buddies house) it would still suck because the game can only play correctly when fully synched on LAN. even if someone actually gets a wrapper to work, you are now faced with these problems:
-Finding oponents, they will be scarce, VERY.
-Incredibly laggy play even on the lowest latency connections.
-a LOT of problems that will arise on connections that aren't super low latency.
 
I'd be less mad if they took the price of the game down to compensate ;). Oh well least it saves me 30 quid on a net adaptor, and I'll just play forza online for nothing.
 
Saint , keep it up man your doing fine. You don't know it but you speak for alot of people! You see, the thing is that KY has clearly stated MANY MANY times in the last 4 years that ONLINE play is 100% for sure going to be in GT4 but now he is singing a different tune. So they knew they had a problem with making the online part. What I don't understand is why everyone beleives he is telling the truth when he says the online version will be out in 2005! They had four years and didn't do it. what makes everyone think they need another 12 months? If it is Japan or Europe that don't have their net up to par, send the online game to the USA ! Hell they have GT concept and Prologue to play still we have nothing. Still can't wait til Dec. though... I like the GT series as much as anyone but right now I think a few of us whom are hard core are just venting!!!
 
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I don't give a ****. Mostly because I'm not a whiney little bastard, but also because I had no intentions of racing online.

If you give a man yacht, he'll complain that it doesn't have a gold-plated hull.
 
I have a question to all the ppl who voted no, i'm not mad. How many of you have raced online with any other game?

I'm sure most of you(NOT ALL) would be highly disappointed that GT4 has gone offline.
 
Klostrophobic
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I don't give a ****. Mostly because I'm not a whiney little bastard, but also because I had no intentions of racing online.

If you give a man yacht, he'll complain that it doesn't have a gold-plated hull.

except this isn't a yacht, your analogy is stupid.

on another note, it's like Mr.Kwik says, i don't buy for a second that the reason behind not including online play is because of europe and Japanese networks.. what about the US? why should they suffer the same fate? and what about... KOREA! korea has the best internet in the world, no one even comes close to them, they have the widest pipes and the lowest latency, Korea is gaming nirvana for those of you that aren't aware, and a HUGE client of the Sony PS2.
If there's one country that can use online with out any issues, it's Korea, how come they won't get it either?

the REAL reason behind this is "unknown". i use quotes because it's very easy to see that the real reason is KY didn't really put too much effort into it to begin with, he first wanted to get evry other feature into the game, and THEN if time permited he'd throw in BASIC online networking, and we won't even get that!
he's so anal about the fact that "lag would destroy the GT experience" that he would rather have people not play it at all, this is why i have suggested alternative online modes in other posts wich other companies allready employ in their games to keep the experience in mint condition. but KY just didn't care for such alternatives and he just scratched the thing.

it will be very surprising (in a good way!) to actually see that "online version" released, wich i don't think will ever materialize for reasons i've stated before.
 
pimp racer
.....I wont have time to finish the game throughly maybe after I finish the game I will play online for sure.

Good point, especially for me in November; boss is talking about 50+ hours a week... :crazy:

THere is nowhere for me to vote on the poll. I'm neither mad, or nor do I not care. I'm disappointed, but what really matter is the game itself, and AI is even more important now....something else to worry about, will the AI be "human-like, and not take the same line from lap to lap", like Polyphony Digital says?
 
Mr.Kwik
Saint , keep it up man your doing fine. You don't know it but you speak for alot of people! You see, the thing is that KY has clearly stated MANY MANY times in the last 4 years that ONLINE play is 100% for sure going to be in GT4 but now he is singing a different tune.

He said 100% last time that drag racing would be in GT3 too...

And online play will be in GT4, once the add-on comes out. :rolleyes:
 
SaintKamus
except this isn't a yacht, your analogy is stupid.

on another note, it's like Mr.Kwik says, i don't buy for a second that the reason behind not including online play is because of europe and Japanese networks.. what about the US? why should they suffer the same fate? and what about... KOREA! korea has the best internet in the world, no one even comes close to them, they have the widest pipes and the lowest latency, Korea is gaming nirvana for those of you that aren't aware, and a HUGE client of the Sony PS2.
If there's one country that can use online with out any issues, it's Korea, how come they won't get it either?

Ugh, you're moronic. You think they're going to make an online mode JUST for the US? Get a clue. You really are grasping for any little tidbit. Try getting a grasp on reality.

Your claim that KY put emphasis on everything other then online mode is completely unbiased, and quite frankly, pulled from your rear. You have no legitimite alternative reasoning other then the one KY supplied for why there is no online mode.
 
I gotta reply again. I see some people think, that if I don't care about online racing in GT4, I may have never played online. Let me assure, that I have played online a lot and I really love it. I play CoD quite often, I race A LOT in GTR2002 and am actually very good at it :), I also play NFSU and LFS. I used to play Q2, RA2, GPL, WR. So I think I know what online playing is.

But for me - PS2 is a home console. Will play with my younger bruder, and also will get together with friends on I-link, if possible, as we were in GT3. And I know, GT4 will be the same. Won't be able to play it online because of all the other games I play online. I just don't like the idea at playing online, that game has no damage model, so cheating is possible (that is why I play NFSU only with friends) and that is why I love GTR2002 - as one might say - pure racing :).

Don't get me wrong, the poll is asking about my opinion and I say, I don't care about online in GT4. But in the same breath I am sad for all the people, that wanted it and don't think it is fair to them. I have some friends, who say they will want to play online. So ... Polyphony: get to work! :)

BR
 
The359
Ugh, you're moronic. You think they're going to make an online mode JUST for the US? Get a clue. You really are grasping for any little tidbit. Try getting a grasp on reality.

Your claim that KY put emphasis on everything other then online mode is completely unbiased, and quite frankly, pulled from your rear. You have no legitimite alternative reasoning other then the one KY supplied for why there is no online mode.

I suggest you take some time to actually comprehend what you're replying to, it takes a little thing called thinking you dumb idiot, if you can't see that the fact that "japan and europe" networks has NOTHING to do with the fact that they didn't even have anything done when it came to actually implementing the newtwork code then you're obviously as stupid as they get.
if they HAD the network code done, there would be NOTHING to stop them from releasing online code for the US and Korean markets.
For Fux sake, you don't even have to think, just use common sense.
why would they make it "just for the US"?
why would they make Prologue for europe right?
or why would they make a demo for BMW and Toyota? they'd never do that right?
please guy, just stop defending KY as if you owed him your life, you won't get a cookie.
 
No, I'm NOT mad at all. But yes, I would have tried the online racing ;)

After which I probably would have decided not to play online again.
 
vipersan
I gotta reply again. I see some people think, that if I don't care about online racing in GT4, I may have never played online. Let me assure, that I have played online a lot and I really love it. I play CoD quite often, I race A LOT in GTR2002 and am actually very good at it :), I also play NFSU and LFS. I used to play Q2, RA2, GPL, WR. So I think I know what online playing is.

But for me - PS2 is a home console. Will play with my younger bruder, and also will get together with friends on I-link, if possible, as we were in GT3. And I know, GT4 will be the same. Won't be able to play it online because of all the other games I play online. I just don't like the idea at playing online, that game has no damage model, so cheating is possible (that is why I play NFSU only with friends) and that is why I love GTR2002 - as one might say - pure racing :).

Don't get me wrong, the poll is asking about my opinion and I say, I don't care about online in GT4. But in the same breath I am sad for all the people, that wanted it and don't think it is fair to them. I have some friends, who say they will want to play online. So ... Polyphony: get to work! :)

BR


i'm sure playing with your little brother might be fun for you, but for most people that actually were instrested to go online, the whole idea behind this was to play versus real challenges.. and more than one oponent, LAN party is the only way to do this now, just like in GT3, and you can rest assured that 99% of GT owners will ever get to play a 6 player game on GT4 because of the challenge of setting up 6 ps2's from 6 friends at the same time, not to mention, most of your real life friends will probably be just casual gamers, wich would mean skilled players would not have any real competition. last time i gathered to play GT3 it was only 3 of us that actually had a competitive race, the other 2 (couldn't even find a 6th) just whined about how their car sucked all the time even though we let them pick higher performance cars.
i really doubt PD will release another PS2 game, ever... hopefully they'll take time to release that so called online game for the PS3 in 2006.. using the same engine of the current game so it wouldn't take them ages to get it out, and by then those high resolution screens would stop being sience fiction and you'd actually be able to play in HD resolutions (just go check out the new screenshots of the game, they published them as if they are in game captures, when in fact they are high resolution photomode shots).
since GT5 won't be released for at least 4 years more, i think GT4 "online" has a very good chance to be released for the PS3 to help boost system sells.
this is just speculation of course, but i think i'm dead on. O_o
 
hell yeah.........i'm mad :mad: :banghead:
I don't like false promises......are they suchs n00bs that can't figure out how how to set it up or.....:ouch:?
 
Klostrophobic
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I don't give a ****. Mostly because I'm not a whiney little bastard, but also because I had no intentions of racing online.

If you give a man yacht, he'll complain that it doesn't have a gold-plated hull.

The point is you could have been tempted if online was there, and it was good and we were all enjoying it, hell you may have even enjoyed it.
Racing online compared to racing AI, is like comparing playing GT4p with a DFPro to playing with a DS2. Once you try it you wont want to go back.


You could give a man a Yacht, but whats the point if hes only got a pond to sail it in.
 
Back