POLYPHONY DIGITAL are you listening?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 467 comments
My one and only request at this stage.
I want the simulation of gear changes to work correctly again. It worked well except for the digital clutch action when working in H pattern mode with a manual clutch

Now when using a Logitech G25 wheel if you enable the manual clutch you can not change gears if you are touching the throttle at all. Not at all. This is totally against everything about driving a real car. You should be able to blip the throttle on down change when shifting manually so as not to unsettle the car but because of the new changes doing a throttle blip results in a missed gear shift.

It is vital this function be placed back into the game. I don't understand why it was removed.
As of spec III we now have an analogue clutch but it's pointless to use it.

The current system has significant drawbacks which spoil the simulation experience for me. I can't race to my fullest potential in a sim environment. I learnt to drive using a H pattern and can heal and toe. Why am I punished for this ? Secondly in drifting you need the ability to flat shift the car to deliberately unsettle it. Just another drifting technique.

If this stuff isn't fixed by the time we get to the final GT5 I won't be buying it. It really means that much to me.

Last edited:
if a car is more than 85% on the brakes, it should be a ghost without looking like a ghost.

This is an attempt to keep people from slamming into the back of you, intentionally or not.

I want the simulation of gear changes to work correctly again.

I second that! it's hugely frustrating because it is not what happens in reality.

Yes. The Ferrari F1 handles pretty badly.

I find the F1's handling sublime and am surprised by the complaints about this. On the 6axis, i admit, it's challenging - but with the g25 it's awesome.

Some car sounds are poor.

They could do much better. The sounds have been improved but somehow still lack depth. There is a video on youtube that details some engine notes on Forza 2, that will give you an idea of what can be done.

Obviously GT is still way more superior on average than other sims:)

if a car is more than 85% on the brakes, it should be a ghost without looking like a ghost.

This is an attempt to keep people from slamming into the back of you, intentionally or not.

Well, I'd imagine people would catch on with that trick and they would just, unfairly, drive straight through you, not giving you a chance to defend your position.

I agree with Alan_G regarding his joypad analogue control comments. They are far too sensitive and incremenets need to be evenly applied across the analogue stick range. Please can we have sensitivity options for both sticks in the options (if you're listening, PD) ? :D
Uh, must have missed this one. 100% disagreement about being too sensitive here...

Controls after SpecIII are just about PERFECT !
Feels actually like driving a car now!
Well I agree with it should be adjustable , but still it s a big improvement already.
Same for drafting , which is almost perfect ( as long there is no wind in the opposite direction simulated ) !
I don't get people complaining about the good things instead real issues like slowdown and other bugs... ( not to mention friend invites and optional voice chat stll missing after what's nearly a year by now )

PS I dont use the stick for gas and brake, how do you left foot brake with that?

I've got a confession to make. I've got used to the new sensitivity and it's pretty good :scared:

Still, stick sensitivity should be adjustable!

How does hitting the brake and accelerator help cornering? Sorry for the silly question but I'd like to learn.

I want the simulation of gear changes to work correctly again. It worked well except for the digital clutch action when working in H pattern mode with a manual clutch

Now when using a Logitech G25 wheel if you enable the manual clutch you can not change gears if you are touching the throttle at all. Not at all. This is totally against everything about driving a real car. You should be able to blip the throttle on down change when shifting manually so as not to unsettle the car but because of the new changes doing a throttle blip results in a missed gear shift.

It is vital this function be placed back into the game. I don't understand why it was removed.
As of spec III we now have an analogue clutch but it's pointless to use it.

The current system has significant drawbacks which spoil the simulation experience for me. I can't race to my fullest potential in a sim environment. I learnt to drive using a H pattern and can heal and toe. Why am I punished for this ? Secondly in drifting you need the ability to flat shift the car to deliberately unsettle it. Just another drifting technique.

If this stuff isn't fixed by the time we get to the final GT5 I won't be buying it. It really means that much to me.

Im with you on this one buddy you should still have use of the throttle but even if they dont change it back ill still be on the pre order list for the full game.

I've got a confession to make. I've got used to the new sensitivity and it's pretty good :scared:

Still, stick sensitivity should be adjustable!

How does hitting the brake and accelerator help cornering? Sorry for the silly question but I'd like to learn.

Well, glad you like it now, I loved it from the first second though and would hate it being changed again!

Left foot braking is something that makes you faster through turns because you have more control and better exit speeds keeping your revs high all the time 👍
Obviously won't work with the stick xD

When I used to play with the SXS/DS3 I configured que L2 as Brake and R2 as throtle. Not only it gives you much more control than the stick, but you can still tap the brakes without releasing the Throtle, like with pedals.

PS: Shift up and down with X an Square.

Well, I'd imagine people would catch on with that trick and they would just, unfairly, drive straight through you, not giving you a chance to defend your position.

you could very easily make then just add a "________ penalty" they get hit with for driving through another car.

Because either:
1.) They are trying to hit the car in front to stop better or push them out of their way (bad)
2.) taking advantage of the fact that they're a ghost and they can drive through them (bad)
3.) out of control and are too lazy, unable or don't care enough to swerve out of the way so they don't hit the braking car (bad)

Then you could make the penalty only work so long as the car is braking with plus/minus 5* of steering, so that somebody can't brake and turn in and penalize another driver. They could also use time to see who was on the brakes the longest (first to brake) and speed to determine which car is passing through the other car.

I just wanted to add. Can we please get the throttle cut on grass removed. If I put a wheel on to the grass i've got a battle on my hands trying to steady the car as it should be without having the throttle cut and having a car on my tail ram me because I suddenly apparently just stopped. If I put a wheel on the grass or my car into the gravel I want to decide how to get back out! 1/10th throttle or full throttle going nowhere. I don't want the game deciding how much throttle I'm allowed to use. (Yes I drive with the driving nanny's turned off)

I know this is a problem for online races especially where people cut the course but it's not helping. Like after turn 2 at Suzuka. So many people cut the course there with no disadvantage.

I just wanted to add. Can we please get the throttle cut on grass removed. If I put a wheel on to the grass i've got a battle on my hands trying to steady the car as it should be without having the throttle cut and having a car on my tail ram me because I suddenly apparently just stopped. If I put a wheel on the grass or my car into the gravel I want to decide how to get back out!

Throttle cut doesn't happen from putting a wheel (or even two) on the grass, it kicks in 3 or more wheels which means you are way off the track anyway and nobody should be on your tail.

but yes I agree to remove the throttle cut, I recently went back to the GT5P demo from october 2007 and was suprised and glad to see there was no throttle cut (or limit) while on the grass/sand.

Fake?

gt5prologuegm5.jpg

I would love to see Different Weather and times to race in - Such as Rain,Fog,Night,Dusk and perhaps snow too ?

Be a great test to see peoples 'quick tune' setup in the wet and changing gear ratios e.t.c :D

I'm pretty sure that when visible damage comes, it will only affect the cars and not the terrain/track/barriers.

So, yeah... fake.

Edit: this was covered in more detail here.

Last edited:
I would love to see Different Weather and times to race in - Such as Rain,Fog,Night,Dusk and perhaps snow too ?

Be a great test to see peoples 'quick tune' setup in the wet and changing gear ratios e.t.c :D

Snow tyres and long travel suspension for the F2007. :dopey:

If we have a minimum of 6 months or so until the earliest possible release of GT5 then I would like to see the following. At least 3 tracks added that would be suitable for decent online races. The tracks that I would want are Laguna Seca, Deep Forest and one of the city tracks from GT4.

As several others have mentioned, please fix the shifting with the G25, at the very least, fix the spinning wheels miss-shift syndrome. If there was just one thing I could change about the game it would be to not force a miss-shift if the wheels are spinning under throttle. This makes no sense, especially when pushing the clutch in for the up-shift would stop the spinning anyway. This is highly frustrating and very unrealistic. Its very common to up-shift a real car specifically BECAUSE the wheels are spinning under throttle.

Throttle modulation could be a lot better, as others have mentioned, the first 70% of the pedal travel doesn't really give you much of anything, and so you end up using the last 30% of the travel to do almost all of the modulation.

I love that I can load others replays and race against them in arcade time trial. This is probably my favorite new addition, great job on this! Some nice to have things as others have mentioned:
- I can load a ghost replay on the Time Trial screen, but I can't view the replay from there. Would be really helpful to be able to view them here.

- When I load a ghost replay in Time Trial, the sector clock shows the difference between my time and my best lap, rather than my time and the ghost time. Please allow both to be shown, or an option to choose which should be displayed.

- In addition to storing the top 10 replays, maybe also store the 20th, 30th, 40th etc replay also. I could see this being very helpful for newer people who want to improve but need something at a slightly slower pace to run against.

I would like to see some sort of system that keeps those who want to race with a complete disregard for the proper driving line, ignorance of braking zones, and refusal to properly pack race AWAY from those of us who really want to have an evening of "serious" racing. My PS3 has been online for only two days now, and once I finally got to join in and play Turismo online, my disappointment in the low caliber of the experience was huge. There's got to be a way to keep the bumper car idiots out.

I think it would be cool to get bodykits if they have "Tuners" as places where you can upgrade your cars. And, I think that depending on where you do your upgrading to turbo, you should have a different sounding blow off valve i.e. Do a turbo up grade to your car at HKS, you get an HKS blow off valve etc...

As several others have mentioned, please fix the shifting with the G25, at the very least, fix the spinning wheels miss-shift syndrome. If there was just one thing I could change about the game it would be to not force a miss-shift if the wheels are spinning under throttle. This makes no sense, especially when pushing the clutch in for the up-shift would stop the spinning anyway. This is highly frustrating and very unrealistic. Its very common to up-shift a real car specifically BECAUSE the wheels are spinning under throttle.

Exactly, this is the worst part of the miss-shift G25 issue by far. Especially for drifting, you want to keep the momentum of spining wheels when shifting gears not have them spin, stop then make them spin again.

One request only, I would really like to have Public Free-run rooms in which you can enter and exit as you like. Obviously people would start from the pit lane to avoid any cars randomly popping up on the track and the rooms would have a limit to number of people in them.

One request only, I would really like to have Public Free-run rooms in which you can enter and exit as you like. Obviously people would start from the pit lane to avoid any cars randomly popping up on the track and the rooms would have a limit to number of people in them.

That sounds mint, i'd be keen

Plus we need to finallly have the following cars in Gran Turismo;

C33 Nissan Laurel (Turbo)
R32 Nissan Skyline FOUR DOOR GTS-T
A31 Nissan Cefiro (Turbo)

The most important feature right now is tweaking the feedback given by the steering wheel.

Above all, rumble would be the best and probably easiest, just something to give us a bit more feedback with what the wheels are doing (Yes, I know the feedback comes more so through the actual car in reality but the steering wheel is the only real medium between the player and the game to get the feedback through in a video game.

just something to give us a bit more feedback with what the wheels are doing

In what ways do you propose they do that?

I have heard iracing gives better feedback of what the wheels are doing (I have not tried iracing) but when asked no one can give me an answer how.

I would really like to hear an improvement on the engine noises from some of the cars.

For instance, I have heard a standard Audi R8 in the metal throughout the whole rev range and under load and I can honestly say that the GT5p R8 sounds nothing like it. Same goes for the BMW M3, BMW 135i/Tii, '05 Impreza, Ferrari 512TR and, to a certain extent, the Ferrari 599.

Don't get me wrong, some of the cars sound awesome (Ferrari 430, F40, Integra Type R and a few others) but I think they need to re-think the audio a bit. For instance, can we have full range engine/exhaust sound when in front bumper view ? By all means, make the audio when in interior view as realsitic as possible, whether it be muted (Mercedes) or loud (Ferrari, Type R). But when your using bumper view I think it would be good to have full volume engine AND exhaust notes.

Also, this is mainly for fuyll game GT5, could we get a DISTINCTLY different exhaust note when we upgrade ? And if there will be tuner shops like GT4, we should get a different sounding note for each manufacturer.

When I play games like Test Drive Unlimited, I can't help thinking that the cars sound so much better than in GT wish it was the other way round.

I live in hope.

Gary.

Back