POLYPHONY DIGITAL are you listening?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 467 comments
This is a great idea. I don't know if the EYEToy is capable of monitoring head movement like that, but if it is this would be a fantastic feature.

My top requests:

1) Nurburgring!

2) Get rid of the boost, it is driving me crazy. I hate the fact that it causes the car to handle differently. Not knowing how a car is going to handle at any given moment based on your distance from the lead has got to be the single worst "feature" of the game.

3) Somehow fix the online racing so that punters lose, period. I'll take the very occasional race where I lose because I accidently hit someone over the insanity of a racing simulation that allows morons to play "bumper cars" any day.

4) Nurburgring!

Head tracking in action:

http://kotaku.com/351539/vr-head-tracking-for-the-ps3

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/27/ps3-head-tracking-only-needs-camera/

I have driven track several times and think it is very similar to real life... I think y'all are just whining because you hate the fact that someone can catch you by slipstreaming..

I agree totally. At speeds over 160 mph the effects of drafting are pretty much like they are in the game, maybe not so much the audio part, but the effect on resistance and acceleration is noticeable for sure. (I'm talking full body cars, I don't have on track experience with open wheel cars at that speed....Not yet anyway :) )

They even seem to have a handle somewhat on 'cut drafting' I haven't really tested it fully but what little I've done in Prologue, is works. 👍

I would add some feature that penalises dirty play more harshly... like the PS3 exploding for instance.

Failing that, how about a cumulative penalty score for cars that ram others? Do it 5 times, you're banned from online racing for a week. 10 times, 2 week ban.

20 times, PD send round some heavies to rough you up a bit.

1.spectator mode for online races (ex. pgr, forza) for the tournaments everybody can view the race even if not competing in particular race.

Plus wouldn't the cell processors early specs mentioned that the more using it simultaneously would benefit all???? so it should be faster processing, better speeds.. not sure if im right.

2. change "My Page" text to whatever I want, such as my PSN name, Race Team name etc...

The ability to make left and right setting adjustments not just front and back. That alone would knock off a second or so on the Superspeedway. 👍

I would add some feature that penalises dirty play more harshly... like the PS3 exploding for instance.

Failing that, how about a cumulative penalty score for cars that ram others? Do it 5 times, you're banned from online racing for a week. 10 times, 2 week ban.

20 times, PD send round some heavies to rough you up a bit.

lol, like it 👍

I reckon that you shouldn't have a quit option if you're the host - would stop so many races being ruined by someone giving up halfway through because they can't catch the leaders!

Has anyone thought of the possiblity of dirty tyres?

It featured in a Le Mans quite a few years ago on the PlayStation, and the basis of it is that if you go off the track, onto the grass, sand or gravel, your tyres pick up the dirt and debris and lose grip for a period of time, until the dirt wears off.

This will penalise bad driving and also bring another sense of reality to the game.

This could also be adapted to tyres losing heat and pressure en route to the pits and picking up debris on track, off the racing line.

I think that the boost system is rediculous and is something out of Formula 3 races. I definately think that it should be at least omitted from Pro races.

Livery and colour scheme changing should be introduced to the games, as it will and a sense of comunity to the game, as well as competitiveness and rivalry. Also, in game communication should be introduced. Furthermore, private rooms should be added, as above ^^ :)

And finally damage.

I do hope that PD will take a look at this forum once in a while, because i feel that the cumulative input that we've all contributed is much better than a group of people in a boardroom at PD

To fix the penatly system, why not have super-realistic damage?

For example, and this will work better when PD bring out their damage update, when a car gets trashed, it can no longer continue and has to quit the race.

This should deter general crashing whilst racing, but also those people who think that braking involves crashing into the barrier at 150mph. Coupled with my earlier suggestion of dirty tyres and there will be no further need for the current penalty system.

Soon (this year) we won't we need 3D glasses to watch 3D: http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/display/ov_3ddisp.html 👍
http://www.vr21.com.au/3dscreens.html

You do you know that simple mortals can't afford these. There is even a 3D beamer: http://www.depthq.com/projector.html

And

http://www.vrealities.com/stereoscopicdisplays.html

I cant use those because of my eyesight. I have very bad vision in my left eye so it wont work.
Do you mean because of your eyesight or do you mean that you can't wear two glasses at the same time?

There are 3D clippon glasses. You just clip them on your glasses just like it is possible with sunglasses clipons.

You do you know that simple mortals can't afford these.
For most of us, not for a while, but prices will drop significantly eventually. Probably in less than 5 years time, a good 3D TV will cost as much as a decent full HD LCD TV costs now.
The good for us is, that the gaming industry is showing great interest in 3D television technology. There have already been a few demo-conversions for some first person shooters (like Farcry and Quake), but race games (GT6??) will follow no doubt. :nervous:

1 - Porsche cars
2 - Tracks (Le Mans old race track, Nürburgring Nordschleife and the Test Course super speedway from GT4)
3 - Lamborghini, Maserati, Koenigsegg... cars

That's it for now.

Most of my suggestions/gripes have already been mentioned here, although I will add the following:

Standard vs. pro physics:
In "the real driving simulator", why do we have the need for an arcade-like mechanic such as a physics mode option? Physics and car handling should be modeled as accurately to real life as possible, period. Less skilled drivers can adjust difficulty with the use of driver aids (TCS etc.).

Not only that, but neither physics option seems "correct". Standard is too grippy and basic (anyone tried the Z06 in standard? Never thought a Corvette would have so much power-understeer with no aids), while Pro is just ridiculous! I used to own a Mazda RX-8 and have driven it many times with TCS off, pushing hard through corners on empty mountain roads, and there is no way the tail is as happy as it is under Pro mode with similar configuration and tires.

This, coupled with features like "catchup", is making me think that my all-time favorite driving sim is becoming more like Need For Speed and less like the experience it once was. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but these little irks take the shine off for me.

C'mon PD, finally listen to your massive and loyal community, and give us proper AI, damage modeling, great physics, and not another 5 Skyline variants! :)

+100 for above comments. Don't get me wrong either.. I love GT with a passion that outstrips every other game I've played. Always have... but.... there are now too many things to take issue with and its started to creep into the enjoyment.

Professional physics as a for instance. Its a great challenge when you're on the ball and kissing every apex with a smooth perfection but... if you miss one, drift off the line or lose the back end through lift-off or power on oversteer then the car will continue to slide as if its on ice, right down to 1mph. Sudenly you have no tyres and are skidding on the rims it would seem. I've lost real cars in varying road conditions and there comes a point in the slide where grip comes back and the car is controllable again... your tyres don't hide until its all over you know?

Standard physics is a joke imo.

*Due accord is paid at this point to acknowledge that this is Prologue, not final game*

The tyre grip levels need sorting out period. Nx tyres are utterly useless in anything with more than 100HP. How is that possible? I used to own an XR4x4 2.8 which had, not surprisingly, Toyo all weather tyres. Good tyre but a road tyre nonetheless. I drove this car to the limits of grip in many conditions, including snow and do you know, not once, even in a downpour, did it ever just decide to let go and slide sideways until it stopped. Oversteer was progressive and there was constant feedback from the front wheels even with power steering...

Now go and try out the challenges with N3 tyres. I reckon I could duplicate the effects by smearing axle grease on my tyres and driving on sheet ice... Maybe.

Sound effects. Come on guys... I saw the footage of you recording engine noises. What, did you lose the copies you made so got the guy from Police Academy in to substitute? I hate to say it but NFS and F1 CE have you hammered in the race atmosphere department simply by having better engine noises.

I'll omit the moaning about catch-up and penalties for now... been said enough to be a given now I think.

Oh yeah, one small thing. Why can I lap quicker in the F2007 with S2 tyres than I can with S3 tyres? If I put N1s on will I be Michael Schumacher?

Ok I give up... Slow car boost. Why, god, why? The only good reason I can think of is to give the punters a fair go at bashing the leaders off to snatch a cheap win for some narcistic fantasy about being a good driver. {Sorry}

"Eh, good race this. Eek, the leader's slid off, unlucky. Oh no, he's the race host"

YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED

!

AI is too slow to the point of being redundant. It also drives like a maniac on PCP... I can't help but think that some of the punters online have styled their racing on it. Lets see some effort on the offline racing please guys? These are your roots, lest we forget.

I think that's it. I still love GT but its feeling a bit watered down rather than the pure and simple love I felt for GT3. Here's hoping it gets cleaned up before final release.

Most of my suggestions/gripes have already been mentioned here, although I will add the following:

Standard vs. pro physics:
In "the real driving simulator", why do we have the need for an arcade-like mechanic such as a physics mode option? Physics and car handling should be modeled as accurately to real life as possible, period. Less skilled drivers can adjust difficulty with the use of driver aids (TCS etc.).

Not only that, but neither physics option seems "correct". Standard is too grippy and basic (anyone tried the Z06 in standard? Never thought a Corvette would have so much power-understeer with no aids), while Pro is just ridiculous! I used to own a Mazda RX-8 and have driven it many times with TCS off, pushing hard through corners on empty mountain roads, and there is no way the tail is as happy as it is under Pro mode with similar configuration and tires.

This, coupled with features like "catchup", is making me think that my all-time favorite driving sim is becoming more like Need For Speed and less like the experience it once was. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but these little irks take the shine off for me.

C'mon PD, finally listen to your massive and loyal community, and give us proper AI, damage modeling, great physics, and not another 5 Skyline variants! :)
You are so right! I agree with you totally, I also mentioned this another thread.

Most cars are too oversteery and overpowered. PD has to do somehting about that. There are other future sims that will overclass the GT series and when it does, it will be - bye - bye - GT5 (for me personal)!

+100 for above comments.
+100 and I raise you another +1000.

Professional physics as a for instance. Its a great challenge when you're on the ball and kissing every apex with a smooth perfection but... if you miss one, drift off the line or lose the back end through lift-off or power on oversteer then the car will continue to slide as if its on ice, right down to 1mph. Sudenly you have no tyres and are skidding on the rims it would seem. I've lost real cars in varying road conditions and there comes a point in the slide where grip comes back and the car is controllable again... your tyres don't hide until its all over you know?
At last there is someone else whom noticed this! 👍 It was very bad in GT4 and although it is better in GT5p it is still far from realistic.
My personal trainer, whom also plays the GT series, said that the weight transfer in the GT series is unrealistic.

Oh yeah, one small thing. Why can I lap quicker in the F2007 with S2 tyres than I can with S3 tyres? If I put N1s on will I be Michael Schumacher?
No, no, no, you won't become MS. :P MS is an ass whom does not deserve several of his titles. He went over "dead bodies (e.g. his partner in crime, Rubens, although he didn't agree with it)" and cheated to get what he wanted and even got support of high officials.

You made some very good points. I hope PD will listen and get their act together and starts to create a decent sim. I already love GT5p but if there is going to be a better sim the near future, I will happily "forget" about gran turismo. We pay enough money for a copy!

I pretty much agre with what others sayd in here.

Better penalty system
Private rooms
Stats tracking
and so on..

But what i would also like to have is, and option where it is posibel to only drive a particulary section of a given track. Just to train on that section, without having to drive the whole track everytime.

Oh, here is one that has been annoying me since the game's inception: There should be ranking stats as to how many people IN TOTAL have done tht specific combo, not just the people who have made it in the top 100. For example, you can retain the top-100 leaderboard but, down the bottom, state how many people your ranking is out of IN TOTAL. So if you place 5th on the leaderboard, it may say down the bottom of the screen '5th out of 1628'. This would not only be more helpful to see where you rank against everyone, but would make you feel a little better about yourself then being able only to compare yourself to the top 100.

Please tell me you will get this Polyphony Digital. 👍

..and not another 5 Skyline variants!

Well I think we know the market the game is being directed at and in saying that, I'd expect another 3 or 4 more variants in the final version. :)

Ya the whole sliding off the road and hitting the black ice that is embedded in the grass thing....most annoying and so unrealistic. The other thing about the grass issues is that grass does not have magnetic properties! Stop pulling the car off the track just because a wheel partially runs on to it. I can see if there is a level change, like the grass edge is a couple of inches below track level then sure, but in that case the car should dip and drop to reflect that.

I really really hope that DP has put out Prologue in a very unpolished state, because if all that's coming is more cars and tracks, the usual tuning options and some online modes then that's not going to do it for very long for me that's for sure. While it's supposed to be a 'sim' it still has to have that wow factor and be exciting and make you want to play, right now I'm not getting that. ('cept that the visuals do look amazing) They've done a way better job in the audio dept that's for sure, but there is still something lacking in the big engine cars, that growling low-end isn't in there sometimes. I guess we'll see if there's a BB Cuda in there or something. :)

Oh and one more thing, they need to make the replays a little more 'racey', like throw some environment into the mix, it's a bit stale guys. They don't need to go all 'GRiD' or anything, but pep it up some. 👍

Now just a point to note here...

I know that in the past, Polyphony Digital have unofficially stated that they do pay attention to the GT community, and are reading posts on various top-end forums (such as this one). Some of you may recall similar such discussions during the run-up to GT4.

Having said that, is there anyone (in particular, the moderators) who may have the means to shine PD's proverbial spotlight on threads such as these? If we can get their attention and ensure they read even this thread alone, I should think they would be interested in such feedback from their customers...especially considering not only the size of the GT fanbase, but also our comparative loyalty.

Rather than tossing the game and looking other, fresher sims now available on a growing market (PD doesn't have the monopoly on "realistic" driving sims anymore), instead we all take time out of our days to write down our suggestions and complaints here, in the hopes that our beloved GT will retain the sim title it so rightly earned roughly a decade ago.

So, if anyone has any means or ideas of how to ensure PD really are listening, this thread is something I would definitely want to read if I were their Product Manager...

Back