Polyphony Digital Has Been Working on GT Sport's HDR Feature for Three Years

When the writer was talking about the Ferrari 458's red, are they referencing the GT3 or the road car?

Also, this reminds me of the 3D compatibility of GT5/6, nobody used that.
That's because the 3D feature was enormously inconvenient. you had to wear glasses, you had to sit perfectly in the middle of your TV, the glasses only lasted like 45 minutes, and it made quite a few people actively ill.

The cars in GTS don't sound like vacuum cleaners any more, the joke is dead.

Correction: some don't. We haven't even seen 1/3 of the cars in the game, much less heard all of them.

The direct-capture Vette still sounds like a wheezy GM V6 instead of the blood-and-thunder V8 of the real thing. There's a C7 Stingray in my building, so I hear it quite often.

That's because the 3D feature was enormously inconvenient. you had to wear glasses, you had to sit perfectly in the middle of your TV, the glasses only lasted like 45 minutes, and it made quite a few people actively ill.
This, on the other hand, looks much more convenient:
vr headset.jpg

Someone should make a new comparison video with different hoovers, i'm sure some of them will sound a bit deeper like the updated GT samples so it might still work.
A little creativity manipulating the samples and I'm guessing this could sound better than some cars in GTS:lol::

Knowing PD, they probably did. Isn't the graphics good enough already? Time to work on and show other parts of the game, like oh I donno, livery editor and OFFLINE CONTENT! :mischievous:

Yeah it's not unusual to see the comments that make it seem like hdr is only thing they've worked on. Personally I think it's a good feature and it'll be something that helps with the future of the game in terms of realistic colors. I'm sure there are other parts of the game that were paid attention to and could use more attention to, but the topic at hand is hdr, not sounds or career mode etc.

Yeah it's not unusual to see the comments that make it seem like hdr is only thing they've worked on. Personally I think it's a good feature and it'll be something that helps with the future of the game in terms of realistic colors. I'm sure there are other parts of the game that were paid attention to and could use more attention to, but the topic at hand is hdr, not sounds or career mode etc.

Yeah, I agree. I remember McLaren Orange being slightly yellow in some games. Hopefully they can get it spot-on in this one.

could use more attention to, but the topic at hand is hdr, not sounds or career mode etc.
That's the problem from what I see, there is not enough emphasis on the core features like career mode, sounds, physics, etc. I'm OK with Kaz reveling over how accurate the colors will be, but not knowing about the main things that truly matter in a game like this is worrying.

It's good to know they've gone over with a fine-tooth comb how best to make use of the nits on display. I might catch the bug closer to release and get a HDR display.

I think the comparisons to 3D are unfair. HDR isn't a gimmick — it's another step towards more realistic images on TV's. It also doesn't require nearly as many compromises as 3D did (or VR, for that matter).

I see it as the natural progression, in the same way CRT sets made way to our current TV's. Once you've seen it in action, it makes a lot more sense. It's expensive now, like all new tech, but it'll trickle down and become pretty much standard across the board over time.

I find no inconvenience at all and only ever play GT6 in 3D. Passive glasses dont need charged and have wider viewing angle than active, and they're lighter so i hardly notice them on. Also no flickering from them which is something I'm sensitive to and feel ill under certain lighting.

You guys saying "everyone will have a HDR TV by the time GTS comes out" - just stop. That's not true. I bet you a million bucks some players still use an old boxy CRT because they can't afford to buy a new TV. I know I would've, if I didn't get the 51" plasma TV I got from my moms ex. Generous man. I really want a new TV though, the pixels are huge. But it's not that old I guess, concidering it's a smart TV and all. I can't afford squat right now.

It will be useless to the majority of people ... since there arent many people with HDR TV's. Myself included.

It's similar to driving games supporting steering wheels, only a minority of players have them but it's welcome for those that do.

There's a question that needs to be asked though, Why have PDI been working on HDR for 3 years rather than 6-12 months when there are games out or coming out soon that didn't require 3 years for HDR focus? INB4 because PDI need 2 years to mine stardust on it.

It's probably a lot more efficient to incorporate it from the start of development rather than having to rewrite code/modify assets later on.

Knowing PD, they probably did. Isn't the graphics good enough already? Time to work on and show other parts of the game, like oh I donno, livery editor and OFFLINE CONTENT! :mischievous:

Haven't most of the clips we've seen been OFFLINE CONTENT ??

Gran Turismo seems more like a tech demo than an actual game at this point, it's ridiculous. Sure, the efforts made in the technical aspects are mighty impressive, we all have to concede that, but what about the substance, the actual meat of the game? All smoke and mirrors but no regards to the actual gameplay experience, Kaz? Is that why we have cars that look better than ever but still the same pathetic mix-up of cars that have nothing to do with each other?

And on the topic of HDR capable TV's, let me remind you that such a thing as the third world exists and it's a huge market that shouldn't be overlooked. Middle-high class people around here can buy a PS4 and maybe even a PS4 Pro but buying a console, a new wheel and, on top of that, a new TV? That's nigh impossible. So again, you have to wonder, what's PoDi after? Sales based on gimmicks that only a fraction of the customer base can enjoy or actual gameplay that everyone who bought the game can experience?

I would say that only thing they can do is somewhat nice graphics (most seen on car model detail), but as they cant create a true game for at least third consecutive time, its their only good side, And thats not much.

Someone should make a new comparison video with different hoovers, i'm sure some of them will sound a bit deeper like the updated GT samples so it might still work.

Here in the UK our vacuum cleaners/hoovers sound far weaker than the powerfully sucking machines of the Gran Turismo series. This was because of the European Parliament forcing Britain, a country with a fine motoring and hoovering history, to reduce the power of our vacuums. True!
Better look outside of Europe for you hoover samples.

I think the comparisons to 3D are unfair. HDR isn't a gimmick — it's another step towards more realistic images on TV's. It also doesn't require nearly as many compromises as 3D did (or VR, for that matter).

I see it as the natural progression, in the same way CRT sets made way to our current TV's. Once you've seen it in action, it makes a lot more sense. It's expensive now, like all new tech, but it'll trickle down and become pretty much standard across the board over time.
HDR is definitely the way forward but if they have spent 3 years on it, it will only have been worthwhile if they can get GT7 out in a year or 2 maximum and on level terms with the most current Forza, because very few are going to experience the HDR in GTS. I can't see GT7 being a success if the promotional material for it just has the same issues on the back of GTS, thus making 3 years spent on HDR a waste of time, imo. Before anyone says GTS is GT7, yea right. What would the next GT be called? GT8? GTS2?

You guys saying "everyone will have a HDR TV by the time GTS comes out" - just stop. That's not true. I bet you a million bucks some players still use an old boxy CRT because they can't afford to buy a new TV. I know I would've, if I didn't get the 51" plasma TV I got from my moms ex. Generous man. I really want a new TV though, the pixels are huge. But it's not that old I guess, concidering it's a smart TV and all. I can't afford squat right now.
I only bought a HDTV because my cat pissed on it and blew it, otherwise I'd still probably have it.

Haven't most of the clips we've seen been OFFLINE CONTENT ??
Nobody knows. My post is based on how much OFFLINE CONTENT is going to be in the game. It better not just be those training events, and I'm not making assumptions it will only be such. PD needs to at least give more info about that and other features as well.

Please do elaborate :dopey:

Well, like everyone says that GTS having incredibly good graphics doesn't make it a 10/10 game, no one ever speaks about how bare bones AC is and that the physics (which are amazing, from what I've heard) are really the only thing people talk about.

People always talk about the anger they felt when it was announced that Dynamic TOD and Weather wasn't possible. I mean, think about it; Turn 10 couldn't do it on the Xbox as they needed to maintain a solid 1080/60fps. Even if the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One (but not even by that much), if we were to expect graphics that were on the very least, on par with Forza 6's, it a massive ask to get them to bundle in dynamic TOD and Weather, while also keeping a solid 1080/60fps.

AC doesn't even have weather, to my understanding.

I mean, the game looks like an early PS3 game. Hell, I'd argue that Ridge Racer 7 looks better, and that came out at the very beginning of the PS3's lifespan.

People always complain about the supposed lack of GTS' true career mode; no one talks about the fact that AC has an incredibly bare bones career mode.

In fact, I've seen you critisize the fact that it doesn't have a career mode in the past, and yet, a few months ago, you're here stating that AC should get rid of its career mode.

I could go off on a tangent speaking about the AI (yes, GT doesn't have the greatest AI in the world), and how AC's AI isn't that much better, but I don't think I really have to.

So, if you're saying that GTS is a tech demo (due to the fact that the graphics are mostly what people are talking about), then it's only fair to say that AC is a tech demo based upon the fact that its car physics with a game built around that.

I'm ready for the hate.

Don't you actually own AC?

I don't, no. I was planning to buy it, but I heard too many bad stories about it, and decided that good physics shouldn't be the only reason I'm buying a game.

Back