Polyphony Digital Has No Plans for a Gran Turismo 7

Persona is a niche RPG? Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly well received. Persona 4 did at least a couple million over PS2 and PSV, plus whatever it sold on PS3. Persona is a fairly respectable franchise in it's own right, it's held water for twenty years, and the Shin Megami Tensei franchise that it's a part of is enormous.

It's not Final Fantasy, but I suspect it's not as niche as you're giving it credit for. Since Persona 3 it's been a significant presence in JRPGs.

Once more, Persona is pretty much become the de facto voice in JRPG's. If Final Fantasy is the grizzled veteran, Persona is the upstart rookie with a lot of (deserved) hype behind it.

GT 7 will be planned once and only the PS5 is made into a prototype. Then GT7 will take 3+1 years to develop after the consumer PS5 is out.

(PS5 may only be a gamepad connected to a Fiber network service, as will be autonomous appliances IoT, and driverless cars, all employing this new network)

it will feature wireless VR 4K.

See ya sometime in late 2024 , GT7.

best wishes to PD and GTP in the meantime.

GT 7 will be planned once and only the PS5 is made into a prototype. Then GT7 will take 3+1 years to develop after the consumer PS5 is out.

(PS5 may only be a gamepad connected to a Fiber network service, as will be autonomous appliances IoT, and driverless cars, all employing this new network)

it will feature wireless VR 4K.

See ya sometime in late 2024 , GT7.

best wishes to PD and GTP in the meantime.

Where did you get all that info? :odd:

I just don't have the blind devotion others have and can see the game for what it really is, especially the current version.

So because there are people that are genuinely excited about the game they have to be lumped into a category of blind devotees?

That is an insult to every last member on this forum who can't wait to play this game and are ready to buy it. You are implying that these members act as ignorant slaves to PD and are incapable of thinking outside the realm of GT, thus deeming everyone who likes what they see from GTS so far as mindless idiots (I know, how did I get all that from your comment? I just used some logic from some previous posts that I came across:sly:).

There are some who really just love what they see (including myself), despite the competition, and despite the fact that GT is on the cover.

So because there are people that are genuinely excited about the game they have to be lumped into a category of blind devotees?

That is an insult to every last member on this forum who can't wait to play this game and are ready to buy it. You are implying that these members act as ignorant slaves to PD and are incapable of thinking outside the realm of GT, thus deeming everyone who likes what they see from GTS so far as mindless idiots (How did I get all that from your comment? I just used some logic from some previous posts that I came across:sly:).

There are some who really just love what they see (including myself), despite the competition, and despite the fact that GT is on the cover.
Nope. Blind devotion has nothing to do with genuine excitement for a game. One can be excited for a game in spite of its flaws and shortcomings. All games have flaws and shortcomings. I really like AC for example but outside of physics and FFB I think its fair to say, in my estimation, that its the weakest game out of the top 4 or 5 on the console market. Blind devotion to me is what some gamers do to deny the obvious flaws and shortcomings in their game of choice and pretending they don't exist.

That is an insult to every last member on this forum who can't wait to play this game and are ready to buy it. You are implying that these members act as ignorant slaves to PD and are incapable of thinking outside the realm of GT, thus deeming everyone who likes what they see from GTS so far as mindless idiots (I know, how did I get all that from your comment? I just used some logic from some previous posts that I came across:sly:).

I can say a number of bad things about every single game I have played and I have adored many of those games. There are some on these boards who are not prepared to say or hear a bad word about the game in spite of it's obvious shortcomings. PD could serve up a turd and they would fawn all over it. I assume that is what @Johnnypenso is talking about.

In fact you could argue that people like that are worse for the series than those of us who are prepared to call PD out on their failings.

Could PD opt out of PS+ online play subscription and regulate their own online services?
I wonder if they have even considered that many PS4 owners and potentially long time GT players don't even have PSN.
- it's Gran Turismo
- it's Sony's biggest franchise
- people have been waiting years for a current gen GT game
- it's going to be bundled with every single PS4 ever
- it's Gran Turismo

Yet you think it'll only sell 2 million in its lifespan? Haha, great joke man.
It's possible that it could sell 2 mill in it's lifespan, but that surely is a fail. I'm sure those are not the figures they're hoping for, unless they are the numbers in the first month of release.

You're telling me a first party heavy weight (the first one on the system) will sell less than Persona 5 (a niche JPRG)?

I mean c'mon, no one can predict sales but it's gonna take a miracle for GTSport to bomb that hard. No way it does less than 6-7 million LTD . I'll Avatar bet anyone that.

Not even gonna mention Prologue selling well as well.
Really? You expect it to sell more than 6 mill? Up to GT5 it was a given that they'd sell millions, but many were disappointed by GT5 and subsequently GT6 too. They have lost many players, GTS is completely up in the air in regards to wether it will flop or sell well. No one can say with certainty this time around.

Yeah but that is the entire genre's copy/paste policy for cars you already payed €1 for as DLC in their previous games. :) Take the 1983 GMC Vandura for example. First you pay for it in the XBox 360 Forza games, I don't know the entire evolution there but it was already in FH1. Then it appears in FM5 as part of payed DLC (€1 per car). Then it appears in the base game of FH2, FM6, FH3 and now probably FM7 as well. So if you start counting the cars in the base game as well that Vandura has already costed more than €1 since you payed for it already more than 5 times. :)

Fixed it for you.

It's telling you focus on one franchise for something that every racing game does — because it's common sense. Over half of PCARS2's lineup is straight from PCARS1, for example.

Charging again for models that have been updated from one generation to the next is a gray area: some people are fine with it, some aren't. GT5 had the XJR9 as a paid DLC car, despite the Standard already existing in-game. FM5 had a whole heap of 360-era content brought back as DLC packs. Understandably, in both cases, some people weren't too pleased. I was one of them.

But from the developer's POV, I understand the reasoning. Regardless of if it's a car that's been in a previous game on the last generation, updating it takes time. Time is money. Yep, in both cases they could've been added in free of charge — it's hard to put a price on good relations with the player base — but that's just not how it played out.

GT, Forza, and PCARS all have a history of giving out a few free cars too, so it's not all paid DLC. Hopefully, that continues.

Considering that Forza comes with a couple of hundred cars, and past GT games did too, and cost about €60, that's far less than €1 per car, especially considering the full game has lots of other content as well besides cars.

That's an apples-to-oranges comparison though. Things are always cheaper in bulk, and you're not just paying for the cars: you're paying for the early access to them versus waiting for the next installment. They're also optional: they're not required to complete the base product.

Think of the games themselves: you could pay full price to start playing on day one. Or, you could wait a year or two, and get them for much cheaper.

I hope PD/Sony are sensible and will also choose a DLC strategy that won't fragment the community. They should make additional tracks free, so that we can join any online race we want. DLC cars can have a price tag; I'm somewhat OK with that, as long as their performance is balanced compared to the baseline set of cars.

I agree that paid DLC tracks fracture the community. FM6 added Virginia International Raceway with the Porsche Expansion, which was fantastic... but it meant you could only race there online with others that owned the pack. Disappointing, to say the least. But I can see why companies would want to charge for tracks: they're a massive undertaking compared to the relatively simpler modelling of cars. Doubly so if your game includes dynamic time/weather.

As for balanced cars, since GT Sport is more or less pretty well even in terms of class performance (at least in the beta), I'd assume any added cars would slot in nicely. 👍

I wonder if they have even considered that many PS4 owners and potentially long time GT players don't even have PSN.

PS plus, you mean? Just went to check these numbers: in 2016, 26 million PS+ users and 70 million PSN monthly active users (I guess in all PS consoles). They want to reach the 78millions PS4 sold and 70million MAU by March 2018. PS+ should increase too.

And GTS is part of the strategy to bring the numbers up

sony-ir-day-2017-psn-ps-plus-555x313.png

I'm not part of the PS+ group yet. Will be after October 18th.

Last edited:
This game doesn't stand a chance next to the Candy Crush Saga.

If we're honest, nothing does just based on the ease of access AND popularity. If only it wasn't the morons at KING making it..

Where did you get all that info? :odd:

I'm suspect its abit of a stretch to even call anything in that post "Info"

Persona is a niche RPG? Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly well received. Persona 4 did at least a couple million over PS2 and PSV, plus whatever it sold on PS3. Persona is a fairly respectable franchise in it's own right, it's held water for twenty years, and the Shin Megami Tensei franchise that it's a part of is enormous.

It's not Final Fantasy, but I suspect it's not as niche as you're giving it credit for. Since Persona 3 it's been a significant presence in JRPGs.

It is a highly respectable franchise but only the hardcore JPRG fans buy it. Doubt the average joe has even heard of it. Again, where is the 2 million coming from aside from the racing genre is in decline comment (yet FH3 had the best launch numbers in the series). A hardcore sim which was crowdfunded and received mixed reviews (PCARS) sold just under 2 million IIRC.

It is a highly respectable franchise but only the hardcore JPRG fans buy it. Doubt the average joe has even heard of it. Again, where is the 2 million coming from aside from the racing genre is in decline comment (yet FH3 had the best launch numbers in the series). A hardcore sim which was crowdfunded and received mixed reviews (PCARS) sold just under 2 million IIRC.

Considering Atlus designed the game even more so around new fans this time around, and the fact there was a lot of buzz around P5 even from non-JRPG fans, I am going to have to call ******** on the bolded.

My 2 million is coming from THERE IS NOTHING in this game for casuals. AT. ALL. & no, taking sodding pictures in a RACE game isn't it. That is where the bulk of sales come from. It is an online esports focused title. It appeals to the hardcore. They don't deliver the sales numbers.

I LOVE the fact that Kaz wants to burn to the ground(!) this old gt "pokemon car collecting game" (btw, I collected every single GT5 car and I loved it AND I'm totally over&out of it)...

Kazunori is so obvoiusly sick of old game to death, sufocated, and he has enough of money and age that he will make a game that HE wants as his legacy.

I quite understand people that want that old game again and again, buuuut if that was this game then even more people would be here (and everywhere) speaking their concerns up.

I had blast with old games, now I want old gt only on a pyre. Burn it Kaz, burn it! Be bold... Eh, I'm sure he will compromise in the end at least 40%. But light it Baby :cheers:👍

I LOVE the fact that Kaz wants to burn to the ground(!) this old gt "pokemon car collecting game" (btw, I collected every single GT5 car and I loved it AND I'm totally over&out of it)...

Kazunori is so obvoiusly sick of old game to death, sufocated, and he has enough of money and age that he will make a game that HE wants as his legacy.

I quite understand people that want that old game again and again, buuuut if that was this game then even more people would be here (and everywhere) speaking their concerns up.

I had blast with old games, now I want old gt only on a pyre. Burn it Kaz, burn it! Be bold... Eh, I'm sure he will compromise in the end at least 40%. But light it Baby :cheers:👍

Kaz burned it to the ground - and replaced it with absolutely nothing.

Considering Atlus designed the game even more so around new fans this time around, and the fact there was a lot of buzz around P5 even from non-JRPG fans, I am going to have to call ******** on the bolded.

WOuld you have even heard about it if you weren't posting on gaming forums?

My 2 million is coming from THERE IS NOTHING in this game for casuals. AT. ALL. & no, taking sodding pictures in a RACE game isn't it. That is where the bulk of sales come from. It is an online esports focused title. It appeals to the hardcore. They don't deliver the sales numbers.

Considering their marketing has slogans like 7 to 77 and simulation not equals hard than why would casuals be turned off? because it's online mostly? nah

Considering their marketing has slogans like 7 to 77 and simulation not equals hard than why would casuals be turned off? because it's online mostly? nah

And when was the last time those phrases were mentioned? Because there's no trace of them since they updated the main website. We also had that "Burn it to the ground" trailer beforehand, which doesn't look casual friendly at all. It seems the marketing strategy has changed.

And when was the last time those phrases were mentioned? Because there's no trace of them since they updated the main website. We also had that "Burn it to the ground" trailer beforehand, which doesn't look casual friendly at all. It seems the marketing strategy has changed.

Kaz mentions the latter point in every interview. Also funnily enough, the burn it to the ground trailer, it the most popular GTSport trailer on Youtube.

So many mad that there is no number on this GT. What does it matter really? It is Gran Turismo. I think its a good thing. Who wants GT11? Sounds dumb. First 6 Star Trek movies had numbers. Then they switched to names. I still watched. Take a sharpie and write a 7 on it or just don't buy it. We wont miss you on the track. I can't wait for it. I don't care what they call it. It's Gran Turismo and that's all I care about. Now lets get to the racing part.

I was not planing on purchasing GTS and was going to whait for GT7. My decision on purchasing GTS now dependes on future DLC content. I,m hopeing PD renders PS2 era or standerd cars in to GTS as DLC car packs here are some examples i would like to see. Nismo pack 270R - 400R- GTR LM road going ver- GTR Rtune r34-. RUF pack yellow bird-CTR2-BTR. 90's Japanese pack 93 supra RZ-92 NSX R or 97type S zero. If i see any packs like these i would be sold!

Seems disingenuous to say considering I started on the series at 4.

But that is getting way off topic considering this is about GT Sport, like everything else in this forum. It's probably going to break 2 million copies sold, but in a lot of ways, it could have a low ceiling of copies sold, or it could sell like gangbusters. Considering this game is very much online focused, one mistake at launch ala TDU2 and Driveclub means this game gets **** word of mouth, alongside middling or poor reviews, and a ceiling of 5 million copies could be possible.

It's also possible that with the amount of options that are present within the console market space for sims, means that cuts out of potential buyers. And that's the crux of the issue, no matter which street you are coming from: PD has a lot more competition then even what was present in 2013 when GT6 released. It remains to be seen whether this threat of competition has made PD more aggressive in making a better game then what GT5 and 6 were. Though considering everything that has been seen with regards to GTS, and reactions within this forum even, I'm not holding my breath.

Kaz mentions the latter point in every interview. Also funnily enough, the burn it to the ground trailer, it the most popular GTSport trailer on Youtube.

Dude, didn't you just suggest that someone only knows about a game because they're on gaming forums? How many potential GT Sport players have went online to watch Yamauchi-san interviews? :P

Honestly, the landscape is so much different from GT5's days that I can't see how anybody can say their high prediction is more likely than someone else's low one. I don't even want to hazard a guess: I can think of a few reasons as to why it might sell less than GT6, but I can also think of a bunch it might surpass it.

As others have said, the other big thing is the sheer number of racing games launching within a month of each other. That skews the whole thing: us racing game obsessives will buy as many as we can, but the person that only buys one a year or so is going to have a lot of choices. It might hurt all of them as opposed to if they were more spread out. Either way, I'm excited to watch it unfold. :D

It is a highly respectable franchise but only the hardcore JPRG fans buy it. Doubt the average joe has even heard of it.

Yeah, no. That would be something like Catherine; well reviewed but super edgy in terms of content and audience. Persona 5 got the attention that any other reasonably popular game gets. Everything doesn't have to be GTA V to not be niche.

Would you hear about any game if you don't post on gaming forums? It was widely reviewed, praised, played on Youtube and Twitch, and so on. If you went to your local game shop, you could buy a copy. If you engaged with gaming media in any form, you had as good a chance of hearing about it as anything else.

Again, where is the 2 million coming from aside from the racing genre is in decline comment (yet FH3 had the best launch numbers in the series).

2 million isn't my number. You said it was impossible. In fact, you said it was impossible for it to sell less than 6-7 million. I disagree. I think it's unlikely, but totally possible. We've seen games of similar type do numbers that are around the two million mark, sometimes despite having multi-platform releases. I think 6 million might be considered outrageous success in this climate, and that 2 million would be a disappointing possible side effect of them having ten years of relatively unpolished games in combination with extremely poor community interaction.

There's a lot of people gamers for whom their only interactions with the GT franchise are GT5 and 6. I question how attached those people are really going to be to the franchise. This isn't 2008, when we'd been getting solid GT iterations every few years. The genre is tired, the competitors many and the customers few. The only thing that will push GTS over two million is the brand name, and in the 13 years since GT4 they've done a lot of damage.

It sounds like there are a lot of changes being considered at Polyphony with regards to how GT:Sport will be rolled out in comparison to earlier titles. With GT:Sport being released so late into the consoles life-cycle and the inevitable DLC game structure, it's not hard to believe that GT:Sport could be one release per console evolution. Considering there is still so much unknown to this apparent "reboot" to the franchise, the very last thing I'm going to do is pre-order the game. I thought the PS4 was supposed to be 'so much easier' to program than the PS3? From what I've seen so far I'm not convinced. GT:Sport was initially announced as a side project that was going to be priced cheaper than a standard PS4 release therefore I'm going to exercise a lot of caution and wait until the users on this forum have experienced the released version before I consider a purchase. If you starve someone long enough, a grain of rice can be considered a meal.

Why can't we have a 'Gran Turismo' mode in GT Sport, featuring about 500 standards (Skylines, Imprezas, and Lancers only) and two tracks playable only in 144p (Seattle and Tahiti).

Back