Polyphony Digital May (Finally) Be Outsourcing 3D Modeling Work

"One car, one man" is not relative anymore since they have to catch up with numbers.

Given they've only done one car, they've progressed from "One car, one man" all the way up to "One car, one team" and it may still take 6 months/car or more since it then has to be approved by PD.

Thank god. It's about time that PD came to terms with the real world development needs of a AAA studio.

Nothing shown gives me any prospect of increased output worthy of a AAA dev.

Given they've only done one car, they've progressed from "One car, one man" all the way up to "One car, one team"

Assuming this is the first time. Note it's said they were allowed to disclose the collaboration. There could be more we don't know about. Food for thought.

and it may still take 6 months/car or more since it then has to be approved by PD.

Where does this keep coming from? I remember it being 6 months of man hours for one person. Not necessarily one man per car, and that was like... GT4 days-ish? Isn't it 2-3 now? If I could find the article I'm thinking about I'd share but I've never been able too.

I think I'll reserve my excitement until PD start outsourcing track development...

More real tracks!
I can understand PDI outsourcing track side props such as vehicles, barriers, lights, etc. But the actual track surface/tarmac itself would be better with PDI as PDI have the resources and budget to laser scan these tracks to achieve good fidelity to their real world counterparts where as a third party studio that focus primarily of meshing 3D art design won't. And achieving surface fidelity on real world tracks is important if this game is to be officially sponsored by FIA.

Finally! Hopefully with this new outsource work PD can push out cars twice as much with succeeding updates. I've been driving the S660 lately, and I'm surprised to know that the modelling work was outsourced. From what I could tell PD seriously enforced their level of quality on ModelingCafe, in that the S660 model really is that good. Huge props to ModelingCafe 👍👍

In my opinion this move indeed good for PD in the future. "One car, one man" is not relative anymore since they have to catch up with numbers. If only we knew whether other aspect like tracks were also outsourced though.

For those who wondering where this get started it is from this (some of you here may already know) :

Thanks GTP for bring these to front page! :gtpflag:

You should def have a credit on the article.. where's the journalistic integrity!?

You should def have a credit on the article.. where's the journalistic integrity!?

Not bother with that to be honest, as long there is important news or information that is related with future progress of GT series and it is interesting to discuss it is enough for me.👍

Now people are going to complain about the smallest inaccurate details in cars.

PD is monitoring all of the work so that the requested project have to match with their standards. ModellingCafe in this case doing a good job with modelling S660 under PD requests in my opinion.

Actually I've got two theory on this. They could model the whole car from scratch under PD supervision or perhaps they only focus on some parts and the rest is done by PD to save time. Either way is possible I think as long it speed up the content production process and staying on their target to reach 500 cars.

Last edited:
Honestly car count really does not matter anymore for me. But if this means we can get more cars then this is good for GTS and the future. This probably also means for PS5 they are not going to redo the cars again so good chance we will have good amount of cars. Details are great and there is no point redoing stuff because literally there is no end it. Photo mode, scapes is also something they need to give a rest for future IMO. It is pretty awesome already

Honestly car count really does not matter anymore for me. But if this means we can get more cars then this is good for GTS and the future. This probably also means for PS5 they are not going to redo the cars again so good chance we will have good amount of cars. Details are great and there is no point redoing stuff because literally there is no end it. Photo mode, scapes is also something they need to give a rest for future IMO. It is pretty awesome already

This isn't a big change for the car count alone,Outsorcing the brute work for car modelling could let PD focus on other things like weather and other mechanics

Excuse me?

I first read about it on LinkedIn, not buried in a random thread on GTPlanet, and clearly state that in the article. We were not sent a tip of any kind. LinkedIn was where we - I - learned about it.

Perhaps if someone wants a credit for bringing something to our attention they should bring it to our attention rather than posting it in a 1,359-page thread of general chatter? We do routinely thank people for tips that lead to articles after all, and it might have helped bring the article to the site sooner. Perhaps this is something people should get used to doing, to help the editorial staff. Even posting a new thread might have got our attention more efficiently than slapping it into the biggest and least focused thread in the forum, or tagging us, but nothing's better than straight up contacting us.

And perhaps then (by which I mean very, very definitely) someone with absolutely no clue what they're talking about shouldn't start insulting me because they are ignorant of the sequence of events and didn't read the article.

This is good news, especially if PD wants to bring back all of the cars from previous GTs while adding new ones to the franchise.

GT needs more road cars (and classic tracks) so hopefully this is the start for the new upcoming GT (i.e. GT7).
If you started this by saying more road cars for gt7 id agree but gtsport is a very loose version of assetto corsa competizione and I feel that road cars are out of place especially the likes of anything n100\300. Those cars are totally redundant and I find no fun in them at all. Id like to see a lot more race cars in GTs and leave the road cars for gt7 which should be Moore focussed on all round driving not just racing.

of course, this I my opinion.

There are plenty of equally skilled moddlers out in the world so makes sense to out source.

Below is a video a friend of mine made from a project he has been working on. Which shows what modelling skills other people have.

That's very impressive modelling but you might struggle to play that in a game ;)

My idea of car models for GT7? I'm expecting Standards to return as PS3 models and Premium would be PS4 models. This or if the PS5 is released, Standards would be PS4 models and Premium PS5 models.

As much as I love the Gran Turismo series, we have to remember; it's Polyphony Digital and Kaz and they live in the past.

My idea of car models for GT7? I'm expecting Standards to return as PS3 models and Premium would be PS4 models. This or if the PS5 is released, Standards would be PS4 models and Premium PS5 models.

As much as I love the Gran Turismo series, we have to remember; it's Polyphony Digital and Kaz and they live in the past.
The past and duplicate life.

Let's not forget that Kaz added duplicates to GT5 because each version of them 'influenced the motoring industry' such as the 20+ models of standard mx5 we saw in that game. Never expect too much from PD is a very good way to live your GT experience!

The past and duplicate life.

Let's not forget that Kaz added duplicates to GT5 because each version of them 'influenced the motoring industry' such as the 20+ models of standard mx5 we saw in that game. Never expect too much from PD is a very good way to live your GT experience!

After GT4 I knew to not expect much from GT anymore and to expect delays in their game releases.

I hope GT7 will make me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! For me, the biggest news for GT this year.

It means more cars and more car parts for the next GT. I guess this car was a "prototype", for the first time Poly has shared its knowledge about modeling and now more cars will come.

Outsourcing works pretty well for Forza, the problem isn't inaccuracies but lighting. I hope a return of the golden age for GT7: driving a Mitsubishi GTO with subte car parts (no widebody!!!) around Deep Forest listening to a rock song.

Well I guess we can at least expect all the cars and tracks we have in GT Sport to be in GT7 .... I mean .... No reason for PD not to include them, unless they want to remodel everything AGAIN(?!) for damage models (???).. But I don't think GT7 will have such highly detailed damage models anyway, if it'll even have damage visuals better than GT Sport, so I don't see any reason why they would have to remodel the cars they have for GT Sport now, they could simply use the existing models and use the extra time to improve the game itself, outsourcing the 3D modeling work sounds like a great idea too, gives them even more time to focus on the game itself, leave the car and track models to 3D modeling enthusiasts, they could get heaps of cars and tracks done, I'm hoping that the next GT will have over 1000 cars once again and lots of tracks.... PD might be a bit more sensitive to leakages of early work as outsourcing tends to lead to people leaking information/images more easily then when everything is done by PD themself, but I don't see why PD always want's to keep their fans guessing until the very last moment anyway.

Well I guess we can at least expect all the cars and tracks we have in GT Sport to be in GT7 .... I mean .... No reason for PD not to include them, unless they want to remodel everything AGAIN(?!) for damage models (???).. But I don't think GT7 will have such highly detailed damage models anyway, if it'll even have damage visuals better than GT Sport, so I don't see any reason why they would have to remodel the cars they have for GT Sport now, they could simply use the existing models and use the extra time to improve the game itself, outsourcing the 3D modeling work sounds like a great idea too, gives them even more time to focus on the game itself, leave the car and track models to 3D modeling enthusiasts, they could get heaps of cars and tracks done, I'm hoping that the next GT will have over 1000 cars once again and lots of tracks.... PD might be a bit more sensitive to leakages of early work as outsourcing tends to lead to people leaking information/images more easily then when everything is done by PD themself, but I don't see why PD always want's to keep their fans guessing until the very last moment anyway.

PD said GT Sport was a restart for the series and every track/car in the game is "future proofed" which means they were made with PS5 in mind,the high quality models you see in scapes will be available to play with next gen.

PD said GT Sport was a restart for the series and every track/car in the game is "future proofed" which means they were made with PS5 in mind,the high quality models you see in scapes will be available to play with next gen.
I'm still confused though, I read that before what you're saying, but at first I thought what they meant by that was that GT Sport was going to be the "final" GT game, which would be continuously updated (and in time also released on PS5), and that there wouldn't be another GT game anymore. But by now, with people already loosing interest in the game, daily races that become weekly races, PD seemingly not listening to their gamers, I'm highly doubting that GT Sport can really be that final game... But there's no real information about a next GT game or about the expected lifespan of GT Sport, right?

I'm still confused though, I read that before what you're saying, but at first I thought what they meant by that was that GT Sport was going to be the "final" GT game, which would be continuously updated (and in time also released on PS5), and that there wouldn't be another GT game anymore. But by now, with people already loosing interest in the game, daily races that become weekly races, PD seemingly not listening to their gamers, I'm highly doubting that GT Sport can really be that final game... But there's no real information about a next GT game or about the expected lifespan of GT Sport, right?

Oh no GTSport means a new beginning for GT,starting from scratch,there are even articles after GTSport released with Kaz talking about what the next GT will be(he doesn't want to make a Sport 2)

https://www.gtplanet.net/the-next-gran-turismo-probably-wont-be-gt-sport-2/

gtsport is a very loose version of assetto corsa competizione and I feel that road cars are out of place especially the likes of anything n100\300.
Not exactly. Just because ACC only features race cars, doesn't mean GTS should exclude road cars as well. Besides, ACC is a very much loose version then GTS if you speak of content. Plus you have Scapes which basically requires various cars imo. I'm not saying GTS shouldn't add race cars, because PD certainly can. It's just a matter of getting one to match in its class via BoP: for example, the Renault Megane Trophy. I heard it was too fast for class (haha, R.S. 01 vibe anyone? :D). I think it may have gotten fixed by now though.
Those cars are totally redundant and I find no fun in them at all. Id like to see a lot more race cars in GTs and leave the road cars for gt7 which should be Moore focussed on all round driving not just racing.

of course, this I my opinion.
Although I respect your opinion, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. There's nothing redundant about driving road cars in GTS, especially if you consider the new physics to be of excellence (which made some cars like the Ferrari LaFerrari derivable for the people). It made driving them in game even more fun. Since GTS does feature free run and such in Online Lobbys, the road cars at least have purpose of being in the game. Oh, and career mode as well. ;)

So not exactly "redundant" IMO.

Back